Snapper taxidermy

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Smoo Diver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 6:08pm
Smoo Diver View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kona. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 6:42pm
Kona. View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Fuuuuuuuuuckin EPIC FISH BILL!!!! Congratulations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CRAYMOUNTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 9:53pm
CRAYMOUNTS View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just posted my 14 kilo one other day on here.paddy did it from action mounted hes done 3 for me all look great try him.and great fish to
CLASS CRAYMOUNTS DONE
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote S.O.T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 11:43am
S.O.T View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That's just amazing NB. Tell us how it all went down man.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 12:28pm
BOC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What a monster! nice fish!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 8:30pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I saw Rob Forts own mould of his 27lb snapper at the Seafood feastival today.  By far the best snapper mould I have laid eyes on.  Just stunning in my opinion.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote offsurfing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 10:12pm
offsurfing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

EPIC....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Northland Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 10:15pm
Northland Bill View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers guys. Action mounted looks like he does a good job. Story on previous page
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 12:53pm
mjl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mate well done!  Well deserved too

+ 1 for Paddy at Action Mounts.  I've got two of his on the wall in the shop.  One of the good things about him being so popular is that his waiting list will give you plenty of time to save up!
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. " Hunter S. Thompson
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ramjet24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 8:59pm
ramjet24 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

here is a skin mounted job done by richard abraham of taupo although just found out that he is heading overseas. he has won world taxidermy titles. if done properly a skin mount is good, the taxidermist needs to cast the head as you can't get all the fats and oils out of it and thats what causes some older skin mounts to discolour. will sound biased but its the second best snapper mount i've seen, the best is another couple of skin mounts at colins sport in opunake although not sure who did them. by the way this wasn't speared, caught surfcasting.

diver dan is right when he says its hard to capture the colours of a snapper and the taxidermist really has to be an artist to do it well. each scale on this mount is hand-painted and he even boiled out the jaw and put the original teeth back in the cast head! i could still pick a couple of holes in the colours but its still pretty good.

DSCN2266.jpg image by stleger24

DSCN2267.jpg image by stleger24
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 9:03pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

IMO skinmounts are inferior to glass mounts.
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ramjet24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 9:08pm
ramjet24 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by long john long john wrote:

IMO skinmounts are inferior to glass mounts.

why is that?

skin mounting has come a long way since the old days and i like the fact that its actually my fish other than the cast head. either way its the paint job that makes the mount and very few taxidermists are what i would call real artists.

sorry photobucket doing some weird stuff will try and improve on the photo!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 9:33pm
Rusky View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like the mount Craymounts, but I reckon they always get the eyes wrong.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 9:37pm
mjl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We're gonna need a better picture of your one Ramjet - it appears better than any skin mounts I've seen which have all been pretty crappy.  How old is it?

Paddy uses the actual jaws out of the fish in his mounts too.
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. " Hunter S. Thompson
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steve Hath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 10:46pm
Steve Hath View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I personally like fibreglass for how it looks long term, but you still have to be careful with the pecs and pelvic fins on snapper (if the originals are used- as they are with mine). But it all comes down to how good the guy is at painting. I've had varied success on that front with the 3 moulds I've had done. 
Have a look at some of their work and especially the paint jobs because some are real artists and others...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ramjet24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 7:53am
ramjet24 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by mjl mjl wrote:

We're gonna need a better picture of your one Ramjet - it appears better than any skin mounts I've seen which have all been pretty crappy.  How old is it?

yeah sorry photobucket was doing weird stuff last night, try this. you will find that guys who do a lot of skin mounted trout are usually the best taxidermists for any skin mount. as mentioned the key is also to find someone with genuine artistic ability as its the paint job that makes it.

this guy also reinforced the pectoral fin with a bit of fibreglass to ensure longevity.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 9:15am
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

+1 for what rusky said. Best paint job I've seen on a snapper mount was Rob Fort's one. He's a pretty talented artist, and it really shows on that mount.... to the point that when I finally get one done I'll get the bare mount done and send it to him for painting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CRAYMOUNTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 3:45pm
CRAYMOUNTS View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

in the glass mounts they do use the teeth out of your snapper
CLASS CRAYMOUNTS DONE
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keeweebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 9:35pm
Keeweebee View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Niiiiiiiiiiice fish Bill!Thumbs Up

I like that mount of yours too Ramjet, looks great against the white backdrop.
anyone got a photo of a Rob fort mount?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 5:17pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok boys n girls who can you recommend and contact details for a kingfish.not mine neohews.sen the photo and yeah be 35/40 kg caught Firth this morning. Thanks
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Page  <12