snake guide replacement

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: snake guide replacement
    Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 7:24am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have posted this in freshwater section to.

I have been asked to replace a broken snake guide on a Sage 6 weight fly rod for someone. Only ever done a couple of these over the years but nothing as delicate, can anyone tell me what size thread one should use as I don't want to upset the balance or action of the rod, guide is 2nd on down from tip.

I was thinking of using some 1kg mono or as below in photo also thinking flexicoat maybe bit heavy so would fly tying cement be more suitable to coating binding.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 9:14am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A lot of fly rods are built with silk thread. These are identified as the tread goes very opaque when the finish is applied.  You could use Midera 40 if you are wanting a mid opaque look or an A rod building tread if needing a solid look.  Just apply 2 thin coats of finish.  i would not use high build epoxy on fly rods. I use D2 as it is thinner and dries flatter. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 8:22pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Rod building nylon goes opaque, just like the thread on the sages, I put a keeper hook on one a few weeks ago and got an almost perfect match from size a nylon, just don't use colourfast
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gtrbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 3:08pm
gtrbaby View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have built a few fly rods - "A" thread works great, if you use non-colourfast the thread  goes transparent but still has a hue/tint from original colour. 

definitely don't use high build epoxy  or if that's all you have, thin it with acetone or meths) or heat it till its super runny and apply sparingly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 12:28pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Did you get this done?
I can do it for you if you want.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 1:03pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Xtoad Xtoad wrote:

Did you get this done?
I can do it for you if you want.

All done thanks.
Bloody fiddly things snake guides are, just as well I only get to replace them once in a blue moon.