Smokey Things

Page  <1 8910
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 4:50pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

SMOKED TUNA CAKES

Ingredients
1 Albacore tuna loin

For tuna cakes 
1 cup Bread Crumbs
2 Celery Sticks, minced
1 Onion, minced
1 Red bell pepper, minced
5-6 Spring Onions, chopped
1 Tbsp Sriracha (Hot Chilli Sauce available at most supermarkets)
1 Egg
¼ cup Mayonnaise
Juice and zest of 1 Lime
1 tsp Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Olive Oil (for cooking)
Bradley Flavour Bisquettes – Alder

For Marinade 
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 cup Water

DIRECTIONS
1. Combine together ingredients for marinade and stir until dissolved.
2. Cut tuna loin into 3 inch wide pieces and marinate for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat Bradley Smoker to 140°F (60°C).
4. Smoke tuna for 1 hour with Alder Bisquettes.
5. Remove tuna from smoker and flake with a fork.
6. Mix all ingredients until thoroughly combined.
7. Hand press into patties, if patties are too dry and aren’t sticking together well then add more mayonnaise. If they are too sticky then add more bread crumbs.
8. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add tuna cakes.
9. Cook about 4 minutes per side until golden and crisp.

Recipe by: Lena Clayton

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 11:56am
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Over the last two weeks have done three smokes, pork spare ribs, pork sirloin steaks & salmon.
Now curing already for last five days and i'll let it sit for few more days is pork belly = maple bacon Big smile      

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 10:00am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Those pork steaks look inspirational! Did they dry out at all?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 10:39am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How long at what temps...
 I often throw supermarket marinated spare ribs, sausages, marinated chicken legs etc, as a filler when smoking ....seems a waste to have MT racks... usually the honey soy..
 Got some pig trotters from home kill we recently got.. thought may throw those in ???
Any ideas on a quick marinate whatever?

Let us know how the bacon goes..Wife usually does a bacon and a pastrami at the same time.. then tells me how long what temp she wants it done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 5:47pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yummy,
Great looking colour on those meats.
As I said,
YUM
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JasonEdward62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 2:13pm
JasonEdward62 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looks real good.
Can you please share your pork recipe and smoking time and temp?
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 7:35am
Gold
Gold

No problem, let me dig up some pictures and I'll post the details asapWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:26am
Gold
Gold

So when it comes to my favourites recipes I like to take some pictures for a future reference. Let me share this overwhelming amount of images from preparation to finish in that way it will be self-explanatory

The two rubs on the left are my favourite. I applied 50/50 of each. You can find these rubs in BBQ & More. I've also seen them in Farro.

Initially I tried using non-marinated pork steaks but they always ended up being too dry. Then I tried with the pre-marinated ones which you can purchase from New World, and they come out really moist after smoking.

Apply generous amount of the rubs (refer to 1st picture for the rubs)

Add a generous amount of maple syrup on top of the rub. Then let it cure for at least 3 days. Good idea to keep tossing them around over the 3 days for even coating

Bring the temperature in the smoker up to 225 deg Fahrenheit (my smoker is American hence not in celsius ! Its approx 108 celsius). Don't second guess, so use the temperature probe to monitor the temperature. You want to maintain the temperature to be consistently at around 225 deg

The cooking time is around 2 hours but can take longer, depending on how often you open the smoker lid as the temperature will drop each time you do that.

Keeping the meat moist is the important part of the cooking process. I use apple juice in a spray bottle to keep the meat moist, about 1 litre to 20 steak is about the right amount over the 2 hour period. I douse the meat approximately every 15 minute. Every time you do that, the temperature drops between 3 to 5 deg celsius. So you'll need to account for that when you're cooking so you don't overcook. I take the steaks out of the smoker as soon the temperature of the steaks reach between 61 to 63 celsius

Vacuum packed & refrigate it ! It keeps forever but doesn't last very long in my household Big smile

Nuke in the microwave (still in vacuum pack) to optimal temperature before serving... I like it on my sandwich with fresh crunchy lettuce and a healthy dose of Japanese mayonnaise...  Quick and easy, and great for my fishing trips.... Let me know how yours turn out and how you serve them as an ultimate product lol

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:45am
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Clifftastic Clifftastic wrote:

Those pork steaks look inspirational! Did they dry out at all?
Keeping them nice & moist during the cooking process (see my last post) kept them moist after cooking. Also, using pre-marinated meat helped prevent them from drying out. Sorry for the late response Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:53am
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

How long at what temps...
 I often throw supermarket marinated spare ribs, sausages, marinated chicken legs etc, as a filler when smoking ....seems a waste to have MT racks... usually the honey soy..
 Got some pig trotters from home kill we recently got.. thought may throw those in ???
Any ideas on a quick marinate whatever?

Let us know how the bacon goes..Wife usually does a bacon and a pastrami at the same time.. then tells me how long what temp she wants it done.
See my last post, sorry for the late response Wink 

As to the bacon... I've tried 3 times already and they turned out to be disasters... too tough, too salty, even our pets won't have a barge of it LOL I followed so many YouTube clips, looked so easy but to the contrary... I cured for days, wash out the salt, blah, blah, blah accordingly to the most popular clips but still to no avail... kinda sad really Cry  

If anyone had better success than me (which is not too difficult lol) please share your recipe Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JasonEdward62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 9:55am
JasonEdward62 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Try cheap bacon and just give it a warm smoke for 2 hours or so. This will dry it out and add smoke to create bacon like the best smokey bacon ever.

At least it worked for me. Once. Tongue  But I'll do it again  for sure and give you an update.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 10:37am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sensational RockCrashing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 4:11pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rock crashing,
That food looks great.

I have a suggestion for you, I've never tried it on anything other than beef tough cuts.
Use pineapple as a marinade.
If you have a strong blitzer, than process a whole pineapple skin, core the lot.
Than marinate your meat overnight, 24 hours works for me.

Now it may work on your pork but I was thinking about the opportunity for the bacon.

Pineapple and pork, bacon are pretty good friends.

Make sure you rinse off the pineapple before you add other ingredients or smoke or barbecue.

The pineapple has an enzyme that turns meat real soft.

Keep up the good work.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 5:13pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I do a fair bit of bacon, I just rub plenty of non-iodised salt into it and leave for 3 days in the fridge turning over daily and pouring off the excess liquid. I then wash off the salt and soak in cold water for 4 hours changing the water half way through. The next bit is important - dry off and leave uncovered in the fridge for a day or so before smoking. I then cold smoke with Oak for 6-8 hours. I don’t like bacon too salty so this works for me, but you can adjust this by leaving it to cure for a bit longer and soaking it less. Good luck
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 3:04pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Check out this beast of a fish smoker! (approx $5K)

Some beaut Striped Marlin here.

And the character smoking it, is Paul Batten aka Weighmaster.

Am hoping he will come back to the forum as he has a wealth of gamefishing and weighmster knowledge and has commercial smoked for over 25 years!Clap

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 4:18pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah Paul is a fishing legend. NZ's top authority on all things weighmaster and probably smoking
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 6:46pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Yeah Paul is a fishing legend. NZ's top authority on all things weighmaster and probably smoking

Just had a chit chat phone call with the Oracle.
.. Uncle BillHeartCool
Page  <1 8910