Smokey Things

Page  <1 78910>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 8:43am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As mentioned in previous posts , been messing with different woods.. now discarded  manuka and pohutukawa all together.
 Started to blends some tawa with apple maple and other fruit combos... rather impressed.
 Then the other day, smoking up some  sweet chilly muscles , sweet chilly fish.. KY and snapper and chicken /pork, and several types of (real meat) sausages
 Receipts in previous posts.supplies of wood lower than thought.
 So just used apple and tawa...
nailed it big time....and that also from all who gave some away to.
Now thinking very similar results by sticking with tawa and just fruit woods... apple fejeoa, grapes, pear type of thing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 7:03pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well, I finally scored a nice bin of kahawai to be worthy of christening the new/second hand smoker.

Light dusting of Himalayan pink salt, two hours later a basting of Canadian Maple Syrup, left in fridge overnight and smoked the next day between 75-85 deg for just over two hours. And the results is just a wow factor, very soft, very moist, simply divine!

Thanks to Mattoo for the smoker and Mattoo's premium pohutawawa chips.Clap

Now to admit my stupid bit of muppetry... got smoker all going fine, left it for about 20 mins and noticed no smoke yet and temperature had dropped opened the door and bent down for a look and noticed the flame had blown out. And I stupidly without thinking hit the ignition switch an BABOOM! I was lifted off my feet and flung backwards, I rolled back onto my feet and checked that my eyes still worked and patted my head to feel that I still had hair. My wife came outside and said what on earth was that bang... I had an accident with the gas smoker... and whats that smell of burning hair... yes its my hair and eyebrows you can smell! OuchLOL

Jokes aside I was very stupid and very lucky ... huge lesson learnt... and I was soberEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 7:50pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Jesus your lucky you were not hurt mate. Mine went out the other day when I opened the door I got a whiff of gas so left door open for a minute. Still a dangerous hobby though.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 6:32am
like_to_strike View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Confused A few too many beersies mate? after a couple i once put my hand on the stovetop element to check if it was on or not.... it was.... 

Give up the gas and go electric al! you will never look back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 7:41am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Brilliant fopah, and it can be done without the influence.
Won't need a barber for a while then.
Very lucky close call there Al.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 6:42pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Impressive workmanship here

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 2:14pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just a waiting game now, was a productive morning
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 8:30am
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Going to full of choices on the big day. Ham Turkey or smoked marlin??
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 11:27am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well its been some time since I did a Beef Jerky smoking session, as I got reminded by a neigbour down the road that I have been lazy on the smoking front!

Ok, this is winter in NZ and so I had a good day yesterday that the wind and rain was kind so I operated my outdoor gas smoker oven at a low temperature as a good Jerky is dried not cooked.

So step 1. I made a marinade and soaked my beef for 5 days, usually only 3 but high winds meant I couldn't operate the smoker.

Step 2. Drain, shake, hang and allow the beef to drip dry. Make sure to hose down Wife's clothes horse afterwards, otherwise Big Trouble!LOLOuch

Step 3. 5 hr smoke, Job Done!

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 6:05pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I pulled some Bluenose bits out of the freezer and gave them an overnight glaze with Canadian Maple Syrup and then smoked them for 4.5 hrs, 1.5kg of roe!Clap

Thank you Mr KrowClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 5:26pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Finally looked at this thread Al.
To be honest I steer away from these threads as I just end up drooling, and at my age someone may put me away.

Really nice food and particularly in the earlier part of this thread.

Glad the smoker works well.

Yum yum yummy looking food there.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 10:20am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Catch, why do you put the roes on foil like that?
I used to use small fiol trays cause the racks where too wide.
 Then went to $2 shop non stick non stick plastic coated mesh.. also with muscles etc.

And on the jerky, found if laid out would puddle. So I now hang over the rack wires vertically..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 9:05am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Catch, why do you put the roes on foil like that?
I used to use small fiol trays cause the racks where too wide.
 Then went to $2 shop non stick non stick plastic coated mesh.. also with muscles etc.

And on the jerky, found if laid out would puddle. So I now hang over the rack wires vertically..

I use tin foil with a little oil smeared on top, this is to stop the roes from sticking as in the past I had roes that would stick to the racks and be demolished trying to remove them after smoking, so I use the tin foil for that purpose.

As to Jerky, you notice in the pics that I hung it to allow it to drip dry before smoking, less puddling...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 9:17am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And some more smoking, kahawai and hapuka wings, and 3.2kg of bluenose caviar, which was absolutely divine.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 9:21am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sticking issue yes..
 Dont think that been discussed before (??)

I use kitchen aerosol non stick on racks and stuff...including  fine spray on outside of the smoker once in a while.. seals stops rust.
 I spray after cleaning / water blasting the racks...
 I do the same with the fire drums, shaft etc on the spit after cleaning down.
 Only needs a thin, not much more than a mist spray
Note: fire is not this aggressive during cook.. this is to sear the carcass to seal juices at the start.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 12:01pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Those roes look amazing Al.

Nice job mate!
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 12:48pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Jaapie Jaapie wrote:

Those roes look amazing Al.

Nice job mate!

Cheers Kev, 5 hours at 65 deg, low and slow.Approve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 1:04pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I really enjoyed the taste & flavour that comes from all kinds of smoking food. 
Would like to share some pictures of my recent smokes.
Btw. this thread is one of my favourites on this forum
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 1:41pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not a huge fan of smoked food in general but that looks bloody good Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 2:52pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very very impressive RCClap
Page  <1 78910>