SHOW US YOUR KAYAK

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2006 at 12:29pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

<SCRIPT language=javascript>postamble(); Thanks Ad Fab for your explanations.   

As you get more into yak fishing you will discover that wind and currents are not always in the same direction.     When this is the case and the wind pushes your yak away from the burley trail your bait may be bathing in barren water.

There are various ways to deploy burley so that your bait is in the scent trail. Annoyingly none of them are without problems.   

I use a traveller , which allows me to hang the burley either  fore or aft depending on how I am anchored.    This ensures that my bait is in the trail but also means that occasionally a hooked fish gets tangled up in the burley line.    I lost a few but "better hooked and lost than not hooked at all".

We have also experimented to anchor/positon the burley line on an independent float  and then anchor the yak directly down current.    Sexy idea especially for those concerned with sharks.    However, keeping the yak in line once the wind comes up is another story of dispair.

A friend of ours (Dog fish and I) uses copious quantities of surface burley which he regularly throws over his shoulder.     Works Ok for snapper and kahawai but not so good for gurnard.     He now successfully depolys a small pot on the bottom.

Oh, I nearly forgot, I also soak raod chips in fish oil and sprincle a small amount at intervals right beside the yak for extra scent.     I have not tried them on their own, however I quite often get bites shortly after they hit the bottom.     Worth adding to your war plan as a cheap burley trail enhancer. 

Good fishing

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ab_Fab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2006 at 1:48pm
Ab_Fab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Rainbow,

Some really good tips there. I was thinking of a seprarte burley line and float, but could see the problems of keeping the kayak in the zone!

I do like the travaller system idea as I have enough trouble in my boat with wind against tide, let alone on my Kayak.

Cheers for the tips!

Ab
What will a blonde girl say when you tell her she's pregnant? A: is it mine?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2006 at 4:46pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sharp looking piece of kit there - AbFab
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 10:02am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 10:06am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 10:11am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 10:18am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ab_Fab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 10:20am
Ab_Fab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice rig Rainbow!!

A couple or questions,

1) It is a little hard to see, but how is the anchor system attached? It looks like it hangs there with the actual anchor in the back, is this right? Also you have no chain on the acnhor I notice, does this work fine?

2) How do you find using the chili bin? Is it a pain and unstable turning round to open it a put the fish in?

3) I notice the marking on the side of the yak in picture 1, is this for fish size?

4) Is that a glove in the back? If so I guess this is so you do not get "needled" by the fish?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 10:21am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 11:02am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi Ab Fab

1. Yes I use about 1m of chain.    The winding board is made from a faom flutter board and floats in case I have to ditch it to follow a big fish.   Once the anchor is set the rope is clipped to a short line via a shark clip.    I have one line tied fore and the other aft which allows me to anchor in either direction.    A bit like a traveller but simpler.    When the strain of the anchor is taken up by the short lines I simply clip the line board onto my seat support to keep it out of the way.    There is no strain on that at all.

2. No problem.    This is the great thing about the P13/15 rear well.   It is almost square and takes my bin at the far end just far enough to reach without having to go side saddle.     Frankly, I wouldnt be without it.   An iceblock on the bottom and the fish are kept cool all day.     You notice in the picture how much room there is in front of the bin for all sorts of junk.   it is beyond me why other firms still make a triangular well most of it is unreachable once you got something tall in front of them.    The bin is big enough for up to 20 gurnard or several medium sized snapper.    Anything bigger would have to to into a sack or brought ashore on a hot day.    If you regularlarly score big fish you may need a bigger bin.   There is enough room in the well for one but this cuts down the available cargo space.    Also get one with a hinged lid!!!

I need to sort out a separate cover for my cargo space to prevent spillage in the surf.  

3.Good eyes.   Yes, 25, 27 and 33cm.

4. I bought the garden gloves for that purpose but don't use them often.......and pay the price especially with gurnard.    BTW I don't use a net or gaf.   Maybe I should (especially for the looks) but then I have enough junk on board to get tangled up on. 

Can really recommend the knife mounting solution.    Always handy, safe and never falls out even when I have it on the roof rack.    

Prefer flush rod holders as they don't get knocked off in a miss timed surf landing.    Personal choice.

Looking out to sea it is calm and very inviting to paddle out.    Bugger, I have to hang around, for the delivery of a new fridge.  

Cheers

Rainbow  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ab_Fab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 11:36am
Ab_Fab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Rainbow,

Good advise on the knife. attached with self tapping screws??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 12:16pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Yes. after drilling bigger holes throught the sheath to take the screw heads.

Fridge has arrived.   I am off fishing on the incoming tide.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 12:19pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Yes, after drilling bigger holes throughthe sheath for the screw heads.

Fridge has arrived.  I am off fishing on the incoming tide

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 8:32pm
bentley View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey rainbow how did the fishing go ????

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 10:22pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Got nine gurnard and a kahawai

Not bad for New Plymouth harbour.     Too scared to venture too far offshore at the moment,     The white pointer has been seen again today by surfies off Back Beach.

probably more than one out there dining on seals.

Want a thrill?    Come yaking in Taranaki.

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Magoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 8:56am
Magoo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My Yak setup

Below is the wheel system I made up based on elvis-browns design, a few mods with a wider axle base using a steel tube, I have got a stainlesss rod made up, just needs to be fitted. These where given the ultimate test over the weekend and I'd have to say they worked flawlessly over paddocks, rough gravel roads, cattle stops, tarseal, gutters, sand and also stone beaches.

Below notice the bait board setup, can be rotated 360 and in this postion does not get in the way of paddling but is still close enough to comfortably reach. Also added 2 extra rod holders for fishing rather than using the "in transit ones" at the rear, tested last night and they work well.

Im also using a 700gm fold out anchor with 2m of heavy chain, will need to add some lead weights to this for strong current/wind. Mate used the same except no anchor and just used a heavy dive weight (as somebody here suggested) and he managed to stay anchored where i could not.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote elvis.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2006 at 6:12pm
elvis.brown View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I got the mod on the axle done...substituted a piece of stainless pipe for the solid steel axle....it is now 700 mm long instead of whatever the sack barrow was....now much lighter and more stable.

Had problems fincing the stainless tube....used in the diary industry and is 16mm OD.

Got the supplier to give me the name of a company that had bought some....and the company sold me a length for $9.
------------------
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2006 at 8:08pm
bentley View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

nice set up magoo dont know about the bait bord  being under my nose and wheres ya fishfinder ??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2006 at 8:49pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Why not cut up your bait at home?    I geneally use kahawai which I cube. salt and soak in fish oil.    I then freeze it in small plastic containers which fit neatly into my rear cup holder,    No mess, no blood and no need for a cutting board.    Guess I am getting abit sensitive with all the shark hysteria we are having around here,   

Gets to work on you after a while,

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Magoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2006 at 10:45pm
Magoo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bait board rotates out of the way (as shown in the last picture) and hey whats fishing without some stench and a bit of mess. Fishfinder, dont really "need" one at present as all the spots are local and known but I do carry a handheld GPS.

As for pre-cutting baits Rainbow, I fish the conditions at the time and usually take 2-4 different bait types to have all bases covered, also use different sized baits depending on the type of fishing im doing and the board is handy for re-rigging and whatever else suits a flat "dry" surface and also provides a nice safe place for a knife, cellphone etc. I guess I prefer to be able to do in a kayak most things I could do in a boat but keeping clutter to a minimum. The Scrambler XT does not have any dry spaces in front of you unlike other yaks so for me this means a little more forward thinking and organisation. For me the bait(multitasking) board is the best addition to my little fishing arsenal
Page  <1234>