Sea Surface Temp charts

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 7:42pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This is the sea temp from windy. The resolution is quite low but the colour scheme works.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishingMaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 9:16pm
FishingMaps View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Avenza maps is a mobile application and can't be downloaded onto laptops and computers. It can be used on smart phones or tablets with GPS. It is desiogned to be an offline application that will continue to work when there is no Internet connection (which is pretty common in many areas where people fish). 

It's really pretty similar to the car navigation systems provided by Google Maps or Waze. We could still use paper maps (and fight with the wife over the route), or we can use an electronic guidance system. Avenza provides a navigation system for any map that has been geolocated. In my case, you use Avenza maps to navigate on an SST map to get you to the destination where you want to fish. Much like a car navigation system, you can measure the distance to destination, and calculate your ETA. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishingMaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 9:24pm
Bronze
Bronze

Here is my  latest SST/ bathymetry map for the Bay of Plenty. If people have particular areas they are interested in, please let me know by sending lat/lon boundaries for the map limits).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 10:25pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Sam, your SST & bathy maps have caught my eye. I now reside in Western Australia after living my first 30 years in NZ. During the latter part of 2022 I spent 3 weeks in Vanuatu. SST and bathy maps of that area would be of interest. Here are some boundary coords: Lats 17.20.000; 17.47.000.  Longs 168.00.000; 168.36.000.     
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishingMaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 8:49am
Bronze
Bronze

Hello Fish Addict

There isn't much of a temperature gradient in Vanuatu, so I guess the complex bathymetry is of more interest. The areas you gave me were a bit small, so I increased them to -18.0, -16.5,167.5, 169.0. I'll upload this map to Avenza, but it takes them about a day to check maps before they appear on the app.

I notice that there are people who won't use the Avenza offline navigation app for various reasons, so I'll produce duplicate maps with lat/lon axes and grids that can just be printed from a browser. I'll have to figure out a few things, but they will happen.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 11:43am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Sam how much more detail can you add to these maps. This is what Ripcharts looks like showing currents, can also do chlorophyll concentrations.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishingMaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 1:51pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Tzer

I think the next step is to do a new chart that overlays current vectors (the arrows) on Sea Surface Height. 

Air pressure, water density and bathymtery all affect sea surface height, and the net effect is to drive current flows. These are the geostrophic currents which is what those arrows show. 

Overlaid on the geostrophic flows are the wind-driven or Ekman currents. Embedded in this complexity are the small scale convergences and divergences that arise from fronts. The fronts are created by density gradients, which are caused by temperature and salinity differences. The most relevant currents for game fishing are the currents along the fronts, which is not shown by the Rip Chart arrows.  

Page  <12