SCALLOPS AGAIN

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SCALLOPS AGAIN
    Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 3:41pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Full Northland Closure

Scallops – SCA 1 & SCA CS Northland, Auckland and Coromandel

Surveys carried out in 2021 show an overall decline in the biomass and abundance in both SCA 1 and SCA CS from historical levels, with substantive declines in many core scallop beds since the previous survey. It is considered that the current biomass and abundance of scallops in SCA 1 and SCA CS are at levels that do not support sustainable fishing at the current catch limits and allowances. To promote the recovery of the Northern scallop stocks, I have decided to impose a full closure of SCA 1 for all commercial and recreational utilisation and a partial closure of SCA CS, permitting sustainable utilisation of Little Barrier and Colville Channel only

Scallops Scallop stocks within the Coromandel (SCA CS) and Northland (SCA 1) areas support shared fisheries that are highly valued by tangata whenua and stakeholders. This value represents not only the economic return from commercially landed and sold scallops, but also the role that scallops play in the ecosystem and in providing for cultural and social benefits. Over time, these important fisheries have shown a substantial decline and now many scallop beds are at historically low levels.

SCA 1 - Northland Scallops I have decided to close the SCA 1 Quota Management Area to the harvest of scallops. This closure will be implemented under a sustainability measure provided for in section 11 of the Fisheries Act 1996. The closure will not apply to scallops taken under a customary fishing authorisation, which will continue to be managed by tangata kaitiaki.

SCA CS - Coromandel Scallops I have decided to close the SCA CS Quota Management Area to the harvest of scallops, except for within two defined areas, one around Little Barrier Island and one in the Colville Channel (see Figure 2 below). This closure will be implemented under a sustainability measure provided for in section 11 of the Fisheries Act 1996. The closure will not apply to scallops taken under a customary fishing authorisation, which will continue to be managed by tangata kaitiaki.

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/consultations/review-of-sustainability-measures-2022-april-round

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 4:01pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You wonder how they can claim a successful sustainable fisheries management when we lurch from disaster to disaster (closure to closure). Did they not see this coming?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 4:31pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

You wonder how they can claim a successful sustainable fisheries management when we lurch from disaster to disaster (closure to closure). Did they not see this coming?
Alan
Just read "Legasea" F/B posts and they put up a stuff article calling for closure when they could of put up Pakers letter for all to see the effects it is going to have on reccs/comms.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 5:02pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't have FB, and I wonder how MPI can claim to be running a sustainable fishery. Nothing to do with Legasea.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 5:44pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Anyone heard of toheroa? Man I'd love to see those return but they never will. I know I've had them as a kid but I can't recall. I saw the headline pics (they were called pictures then Smudge) of people by the hundreds digging up the west coast beaches for their never ending supply. Man they even canned those things as toheroa soup. the scallop closures remind me of the late 60's toheroa fishery. OK, I was ten but I remember those headlines well
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 5:59pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This is fantastic however, I feel this is 4 or 5 years too late.

Would love to be wrong but it is a good step in the right direction (For Northlands scallops atleast)

I have often wondered if a full closeure would help especially since entire beds in and outside of the Whangarei harbour have just disappeared over the last decade.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 6:21pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My point would be.............. why if MPI is a competent body managing a sustainable fishery, WHY do we have to wait til this point to do something. Wait til the point of collapse/no return and then decide something is wrong. If it was properly managed, hard decisions would have been made long ago.
I have less and less faith in their priorities and ability as time goes on
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 6:43pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The closure will not apply to scallops taken under a customary fishing authorisation, which will continue to be managed by tangata kaitiaki".
Yes, I know, theoretically anyone can apply for these permits.
The proof is in the separatist pudding however.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 6:49pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Anyone heard of toheroa? Man I'd love to see those return but they never will. I know I've had them as a kid but I can't recall. I saw the headline pics (they were called pictures then Smudge) of people by the hundreds digging up the west coast beaches for their never ending supply. Man they even canned those things as toheroa soup. the scallop closures remind me of the late 60's toheroa fishery. OK, I was ten but I remember those headlines well

Hi Smudge.
You can still get them, however only under a customary permit.
No season for rec gatherers.
I have had an application in for nearly three months with no progress even after many emails.
When we lived in Wellington we used to go up to Paraparaumu Beach, gather Toheroa, Pipi and Tuatua. Then on the way home, stop at Paramata and collect Cockles.
Get home and made awsome fritters.
Did this for years and that is a major part of my application.
Hopefully will have an update soon.
Hope they still taste as good as my memory serves.

Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 11:54pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

7.5 tonnes of Customary Allowance! What the actual f*&$?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 7:28pm
like_to_strike View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 6:13pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wonder where the scallops have gone.When stuff like this happens.

Two people were caught with 138 Snapper - nearly seven times the daily limit - over the weekend by Fishery officers patrolling the Kaipara harbour.
The two who had been fishing all day aboard their boat and were stopped at Ruawai boat ramp for an inspection of their catch.
The daily bag limit per person for Snapper is 10, with a minimum length of 27cm in the West Coast area where they were fishing.
All the fish have been seized along with the boat they were fishing from. It is likely they will be charged under the fisheries act.
“Everyone is entitled to catch a feed – but we would encourage all fishers to understand the rules. Don’t take a gamble as you risk infringement tickets or potentially appearing before the courts,” says Phil Tasker, MPI Regional Compliance Manager.
To keep yourself up to date with the rules by downloading the NZ Fishing Rules App https://bit.ly/37FZ3Hn
https://www.facebook.com/MPIFisheriesNorthland
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 10:58am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another proposal to close off an area for scallops/mussels/pipis/cockles

Proposed further temporary fishing closure of Te Mata and Waipatukahu, west Coromandel

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 6:38am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They have too, given the closures elsewhere this area would be decimated in a couple of weeks next season. The ridiculous thing is it's been obvious that, that area is in serious decline for the last 2 years. 4 years ago my mate could get a feed with 20minutes of air. Now he blows a full tank for a handful. It's that bad after looking over a few areas he's given up.

What we need is for the increase 10 years ago to be well advertised along with the current situation, so the general public is aware of the ministries incompetence's. If the general public get on side, then system change is more likely. That is needed badly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 11:27am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

2 posts above stand out
 JAS
This is fantastic however, I feel this is 4 or 5 years too late.
Would love to be wrong but it is a good step in the right direction (For Northlands scallops atleast)
I have often wondered if a full closeure would help especially since entire beds in and outside of the Whangarei harbour have just disappeared over the last decade.

like_to_strike :

Now go back forum thru threads 10/ 15yrs ago.. see what we the members where saying and submitting back then on the subject.

This is all utter BS, 10/15yrs late.. gate was left open back then and horse bolted back then.
Long live the scientists who get paid to research results with known required outcome to get a salary.
 long live the  beurocrates
 long live the governments

Took what 5yrs(?) to ban supermarket bags to replace with paper from 50/70 yrs ago technology.. AND they made a nice little profit in that time...
Why? beurocrates and government...
 We have plastic recycle problem.. 21st century tecnology with sort the issue over night if government had the balls to do oits job and just ban those 'bad' plastics... period

long live the  beurocrates
 long live the governments

And the list of Stuff governments are for,(core reason for their existence)  and dont do is extentive and the reason so much is turning to 5h1t now and in the future.

Scallops we added to the list over 15 yrs ago.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishful Thinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 5:33pm
Fishful Thinking View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeap, as I recall the commercial logic was the mother bed mortality rate through life cycle was wasteful, therefore sustainable harvest was better. So much for sustainable. F.T.
PhD: Pool Hall Diploma