SB rod, what's people are using nowadays.

Page  <1 678910>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 8:21pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got myself a fathers day voucher in June :).  Love my daughter.  Bought myself a dialuna and Twinpower 3000.Handles really nicely , long casts, just need to sort the butt protection.

(Oh, yes, it took a tiny bit of a $$$ top-up on the voucher, but its the thought that counts, isn't it?)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 1:52pm
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just bought an O/Angler Microwave and can’t decide what reel to pair it with without breaking the bank. Been reading good reviews about the Abu Roxani 3000MSH.

Any other mid price suggestions?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 5:13pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Penn Spinfisher 2500
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 5:58pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The Stradic is a nice reel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 8:11pm
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The other consideration is a Thunnus 4000. I know it’s a little heavier than other 4000 reels but it allows me to release line tension quickly when trying to net a big fish while dealing with a tall rod.
No line peeling off the spool while back is turned.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 11:15pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I use a OA Microwave V2.

I've had a Thunnus 4k which was a great reel, now resting at bottom of hauraki.
I exclusively softbaited with it and found the bait runner function redundant. YMMV.

I currently have a Stradic ci4 4k which has been a fantastic reel, it is my oldest reel and is silky smooth to wind and so is the drag.

I also have a Roxani 3K and 2500,
The 3k is on my microwave and the 2500 is on a Nanomatrix. They're nice reels and really are bang for buck.

Given the choice the Stradic is the best of the bunch though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 6:46am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Another vote for the Stradic. I've got a 2500 on a V2, very nice. I changed the drag to carbon after having to stop a Kingfish in the mussel farms on it. The felt ones are very smooth but don't like being wound right up, which of course you do when the Kingy is heading for the ropes.

Did get the Kingfish, about 80cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 8:14am
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Having got a Daiwa Certate 2500 there is no going back. So smooth. I have Stellas, Stradics, twin powers etc but the Certates are the best. Now have a 3000 and a 4000 as well LOL. Keep an eye out for older models being specialled out cheap - bargain!

For rods, it depends. K-labs has a great selection. Long and light for Snapper in the inner hauraki gulf to a heavier and sturdier for the big moochers and the Kingies. Horses for courses.

and don't forget a cheap set for the kids and newbies, I have learnt the hard way to not let them use the good stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 10:38am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wait till you service the Certate. Eye watering
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 10:59am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yip, have had two Stradics on my V1 version of the Microwave - first the FJ, then the FK - both in 4000 sizes. Nicely balanced. Greg at GoFish upgraded the FJ's drags to carbon tex during a service, and I did the same with the FK. Easy to do. Landed a nice 94cm  kingie on the FK, handled it well. 
I find the 4000 size is very nicely balanced - love the fast retrieve speed (a bit faster than the 3000 - same size reel, just bigger spool in the 4000).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 11:07am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Wait till you service the Certate. Eye watering

Aside from the magseal service costs etc, I'm surprised by how slow the retrieve rates are for the small Daiwa spinners - unless you get an H version. In terms of tightening the line when softbaiting, or simply retrieving in to have another cast, it's noticeable how much more winding is required with a reel that retrieves 70-something cm a turn, versus 99cm.
I love the sound of the Daiwa drags peeling line, though...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 11:07am
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Yip, have had two Stradics on my V1 version of the Microwave - first the FJ, then the FK - both in 4000 sizes. Nicely balanced. Greg at GoFish upgraded the FJ's drags to carbon tex during a service, and I did the same with the FK. Easy to do. Landed a nice 94cm  kingie on the FK, handled it well. 
I find the 4000 size is very nicely balanced - love the fast retrieve speed (a bit faster than the 3000 - same size reel, just bigger spool in the 4000).

What’s the difference between the FK & FL???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 12:49pm
Titanium
Titanium

FL is the latest model, and the main difference seems to be the move to a longer spool - which is supposed to result in a longer cast.
As with any manufacturer, they keep updating models with cool-sounding technology, not a lot of which means much to me.

In terms of reel reviews, I find some of the most technical strip down ones a bit tiresome - the emphasis is on the inner workings rather than how they fish, theoretical durability rather than actual durability.

I find this British guy below very helpful with basically soft baiting gear, albeit longer rods. He bass fishes from the rugged shore and surf where reels are quickly shown up in terms of durability, waterproofness etc. He loves the FL, but also really rated the earlier FK and Twin Power.
He had some issues with the previous model Certate, as others have done with the line rollers etc.

Worth navigating around the site to read the reel reviews after lengthy use, which I think is more crucial than an initial review by someone who's just tried the reel on one or two outings.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 1:08pm
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

FL is the latest model, and the main difference seems to be the move to a longer spool - which is supposed to result in a longer cast.
As with any manufacturer, they keep updating models with cool-sounding technology, not a lot of which means much to me.

In terms of reel reviews, I find some of the most technical strip down ones a bit tiresome - the emphasis is on the inner workings rather than how they fish, theoretical durability rather than actual durability.

I find this British guy below very helpful with basically soft baiting gear, albeit longer rods. He bass fishes from the shore where reels are quickly shown up in terms of durability, water proofness etc. He loves the FL, but also really rated the FK and Twin Power.
He had some issues with the previous model Certate, as others have done with the line rollers etc.

Worth navigating around the site to read the reel reviews after lengthy use.

Thanks for that. Will check his reviews out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 5:35am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

When it comes to top reels yes it costs, some cheaper reels you could just throw away after a season or two, the 2015 certates re very good robust I wouldn’t sell mine,
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 5:20pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I turned the handle on the new Certate the other day. It was like turning air to be frank effortless but I still say no thanks because after the first service it won’t come back that way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 5:46pm
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So I have decided to put a Stradic FL HG on the Megawave.
New question 3000 or 4000.
4000 has more line capacity and 11kgs drag vs 9kgs but is 35grams heavier which I think is sweet FA.
Thoughts???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 6:47pm
Silver
Silver

Good choice. Go with the 3000 it has more than enough line capacity for soft baiting and will cost you less to put string on. 9kg of drag is more than you’ll ever need.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 6:49pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Almo1960 Almo1960 wrote:

So I have decided to put a Stradic FL HG on the Megawave.
New question 3000 or 4000.
4000 has more line capacity and 11kgs drag vs 9kgs but is 35grams heavier which I think is sweet FA.
Thoughts???

I think the 4000 is a good all-round size, but then again I've never understood the arms race to the lightest possible rod and reel set up for NZ conditions. As Crochet has said, the drag is not a factor with light braid, and neither really is the capacity.
If you're buying in store, take your rod in and compare how the two reels feel when fitted to the rod. I did that with my latest reel purchase and it was eye opening how different reels i was considering (Penn, Daiwa and Shimano) felt on the rod I was going to fit the reel to. I bought one and walked out of the store happy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:08pm
Silver
Silver

]
If you're buying in store, take your rod in and compare how the two reels feel when fitted to the rod. I did that with my latest reel purchase and it was eye opening how different they felt on the rod I was going to fit the reel to. I then walked out of the store happy.

Good advice there. I have found the lighter reels sometimes don’t balance as well with the rod. If the rod and reel balance well this will be of more benefit than an extra ounce here or there.
Page  <1 678910>