FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saltwater Fly Fishing reels for beginners

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mayhem_Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saltwater Fly Fishing reels for beginners
    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 8:03pm
Mayhem_Fishing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi everyone,

Recently I’ve been lent a couple saltwater fly rods (6/7 and a 8/9 weight) and are looking for two reels to match these rods. Any opinions on these?  https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2668777619 

Never done any fly fishing before but is something I’m keen to get into and have a crack at. Any feedback would be appreciated Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 11:01pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think they would be OK for freshwater not so sure for Salt. Unlike freshwater you need a good smooth ideally sealed drag with plenty of capacity for backing. Depends on the type of fish you will be targeting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 8:44am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

probably ok for snapper - just need to clean them regularly and get rid of any salt as best you can- wont last forever of course.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 9:53am
Jofly View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If that's your budget for reels to make a start then go for it. They will work for kahawai and midsize snapper but might not last that long. A kingfish may well be too much for them (the drag won't be up to it). But you should be able to have some fun with them to start and by the time they give up you will know if you like fly fishing and you might want to upgrade anyway, plus you will have a better idea of what to get. It's always hard to spend lots on something you don't know if you will like when you are just getting started.

As Redfinger mentioned the key is cleaning them well after each use. If the reel recieved a good splash of salt or a dunking you will need to soak them in freshwater overnight to get all the salt out and then dry them out again.

And some additional tips. Maybe save some cash for a day or two out and a few lessons from a good guide or casting instructor.  It will save you a lot of frustration if you have the cash.

Tight lines and hope you get some fish on the board quickly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 10:02am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Those reels are enough to get you started, but I wouldn't pay anymore than $45 for the two of them.

Try and buy a reasonably good line at a bargain price in order to get your casting underway. An intermediate tip line with an intermediate section either nine foot or fifteen foot long suits a lot of applications in New Zealand. The dirt cheap trade-me lines are generally awful things to cast and are best avoided. As Jofly suggests- getting a good start in fly fishing is dependent on getting some ok casting going early- otherwise you will become demoralised A reasonably good line helps heaps in this regard, even if it is second hand.

Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mayhem_Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 8:18pm
Mayhem_Fishing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks everyone for the replies, hopefully we can pick the reels up nice and cheap. If you don’t mind I’ll ask a few more questions along the way aswell.

Thanks 
Hayden
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 10:23pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great to see you enthusiastic about this Hayden.
Really looking forward to hear how the whole new endeavour goes, and these guys will set both of you in the right direction quickly and efficiently.
And questions are the only way to go. SWF is way above my paygrade!
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 8:36am
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

keep at it mayhem,
above all good advice,
be patient, a good quality secondhand reel will eventually come up on Trademe,
1 secondhand good reel with a spare spool would be a better buy than 2 cheapys.
if ya cant wait, maybe just get 1 cheapie and a good line.
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hengemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 5:57pm