Rotoiti

Page  <1 2728293031>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 10:59am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Back to the lake end of the week for another crack.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 1:56pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went out thursday and friday last week.
First drop for Laurie and i on thursday resulted in 2 x 3kg fat as rainbows. Thought we were in here but fishing slowed down alot - still ended up with 10 to  the net and just about everyone were superb fat fish.
Friday much harder - real hard with only 4 to the net- all good fish though but bloody fish had lockjaw.
Smelt flies of course the best in size 10 - constantly foul hooking xos sized smelt that dwarfed the flies we were using.
Eastern end of the lake was best for us but the fish must have been hiding somewhere else.
One more trip left mid june before end of the season - anyone else catching?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 4:13pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good stuff as ever Redfinger Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2023 at 9:22am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Last session on Rotoiti for season on Tuesday - slow going again but found some nice conditioned fish near the skids .
All fish caught today on grey ghostbut only 4 kept.
Fish spread out and not concentrating as you would expect late in season. - lost one at Ruato.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2023 at 9:35am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Righto my summary of the season - a bit slower for me this season - Only one session before xmas and that was hard fishing up narrows and west bank.
As expected best fishing was feb / march where 50 fish were landed mostly Rotoiti but about 15 of them Taupo.
May was still ok but getting slower and june as above. 
Fish condition was still very good this year - my best around 3.4kg but lots around 3kg mark.
In total from Rotoiti and taupo in 10 jigging sessions 84 fish landed -- half released with rest smoked amongst a few people.
Best flies
grey ghost 49
jack spratt 11
green orbit 11
slimey smelt  5
ginger mick 4
wolly bugger 2
Yellow lady 1
black booby 1

Ruato was probably the stand out location this year - most consistent, then moose lodge and the skids . Waiete / emerys store was good on one occassion.

Look forward to next season.

Taupo fish were on average only about a kilo or less - a couple of nice fish but no comparison to Rotoiti.  Fished out of kinloch.
Did notice slightly less smelt this year in Rotoiti but still plenty - not alot at all in Taupo.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 10:24am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great results and great information. Thanks for sharing Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Billatsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2023 at 6:08pm
Billatsea View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes very much concur with MB.Good stuff. Thank you.Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2023 at 4:19pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

First session of the season for me and Barry on monday - bit of a fail really with only 3 to the boat. Tried at the hot spot Narrows but also moose lodge, ruato, near the skids , west bank. Not much fish or smelt seen which was a little strange. Grey ghost got 2 and green orbit 1. Wind was a pain in the arse after midday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2023 at 6:39pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

wow, I've only fished Rotoiti once. 6 or 7 years ago now and The Narrows sounds very familiar. They were the best trout I've ever caught
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 9:16am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes the Narrows is basically under the power pylons that cross up the western end of the "narrow" part of the lake. A deep channel runs only 50-70m wide - 40m deep but sides are sheer upto 10m or so and fish are usually hard up against the wall . Hard place to fish and you have to be right on the spot with flies very close to the wall.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 9:40am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

Yes the Narrows is basically under the power pylons that cross up the western end of the "narrow" part of the lake. A deep channel runs only 50-70m wide - 40m deep but sides are sheer upto 10m or so and fish are usually hard up against the wall . Hard place to fish and you have to be right on the spot with flies very close to the wall.

Yes that was the place. I remember the guy who took me fishing there was very particular about where he set us up.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 7:36pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the update Redfinger. I'm booked to go down there at the beginning of November. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 9:01am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

should be better then with higher water temp - only 14.9 on monday. You couldnt do worse than us - lol!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 9:49am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks. I'm going to Rotoiti with two guys who haven't been before, so on the basis of my one previous trip, I'm the expert LOL

Do you think we'd find more fish in the shallows with the cooler water temperatures compared to my last visit in April? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 10:51am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pat Swift said in two trips so far found fish in 18-22m . But by November things would probably change. Its part of the fun - using your electronics to find where they are
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 11:16am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 11:31am
advtracing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I now live down rotorua and fish rotoiti in season. The lakes fishing really well since opening .
Averaging 10 per morning .
Gibson fishing well , fish in 17 - 22 metres on the beds
They like a slow move forward , rather then just a up down.i have the minn kota at level 1 just crawling.

Yellow lady hot colour at the moment and green orbit with a little bit of flash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 11:50am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good info, cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 2:26pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good fishing there - advtracing - we got as far down as Ruato , did a bit of that but no luck - didnt try Gisborne pt and we were only a few hundred metres away! Well done - we were doing the wrong thing .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 5:33pm
advtracing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just got back from guiding my uncle at tekapo. We will fish my local tomorrow ( lake rotoehu) and hit rotoiti on monday. Will let u know whats hot .
Page  <1 2728293031>