FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rotoiti

Page  <1 212223
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 10:16pm
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We had a good bite out on the lake last saturday afternoon

stuggled to find fish at first but finally located plenty on the TV at the eastern end of the lake in 20-25 metres

the fish were not fussy, taking the usual suspects, grey ghosts, ginger micks and a range of small white flies and a couple of bigger fish were on small paddle tail soft baits

popped out again for a couple of hours early sunday and whilst there were plenty of fish on the TV they were not biting so hard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 9:50am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

seems to be the consensus now - lots of fish on the tv but getting them to bite consistently is the trick. Any luck with the published bite times FB?   I had a good bite a couple weeks ago far away from bite time but normally get some action on bite times
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 10:58am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'll be heading down once us Aucklanders are let out of our cage, just got a minn kota fitted to the boat so looking forward to giving that a spin!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 11:34am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Charge RC17 - much easier with minkota - however i havent found the minkota great at getting the fish to bite all the time either.   Did ok last time using the creep function - ie locate fish, vertically fish them for a few minutes then slowly creep away...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 2:52pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great fish Russell.  Just seen this so I'm a bit behind.  Have regularly checked the Rotoiti thread since early January, and thought you had found somewhere else to fish.  The creep function on the minkota is a bit like drifting with a drogue, except you have better control over speed.  Noticed Pat uses the creep function too.

Just "liked" your report with the PB on it.  I was the first to like it!  Pretty dour bunch of readers if they don't like a story like that!  And as usual, you give enough info to help others repeat your feats.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 2:56pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yep - i drift as well without minkota but breeze and direction have to be spot on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 12:19pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Back from a few days at Rotoiti, fishing was tough! Had no problem finding them down the eastern end, but getting them to bite was a challenge. Managed 7 in an hour one evening when they mustve been on the chew but other than that was really hard going even when parked over fish. Best of the few days was a 6.5lber with most around 3-4lb so a bit on the small side. On the plus side Minn Kota was epic, the ability to creep along likely lines will be a massive plus when the fish are a bit more spread out. 
Page  <1 212223