FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rotoiti

Page  <1 161718
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 11:51pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Had the Genesis Social Map loaded for a while but never used it as most of my fishing was at the eastern end and fish showed on the sounder.    On the recent trip I used it all the time looking for fish along drop offs and put waymarks on fish holding spots.    This made it easy to paddle back to where I held over fish when I got blown off either landing fish or re-rigging.    Absolutely vital equipment I was stupid not to have used before.
Can only recommend to all Lowrance Chart Plotter users.

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 12:38pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rotoiti is fishing incredibly well at the moment! Just wish this wind would bugger off.

Got out on the 23rd for 2 hours for a limit catch for two people then out again on the 1st for 3.5hrs and it was insane fishing. Landed 30 fish in that period.

Wind looking better for this weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 1:12pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good to hear you got a few! I got out a few times over the break, you're right about the wind, real pain in the ass!

Personally I had no trouble finding them, but getting them to bite was a bit more of a challenge. What were you getting them on?

I found the bite times to be rather short and sharp. At one point I switched to a soft bait out of frustration of a lack of bites and hooked a real nice one, got it literally in the net, only for it to pull the houdini of escape acts on me. Estimated between 7 - 8lb. Bugger!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 7:39pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I intend to give it a nudge wednesday  - have heard the lake is fishing ok
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 9:02pm
Platinum
Platinum

Grey Ghost worked best followed by Yellow Lady. I ended up putting random flies on in the end because having 2 or more smelt flies on resulted in double or triple hookups and busted off too many flies. Koura fly and wooly buggers on the bottom also got snaffled.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 7:35am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

that sounds like a hot bite AP!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 10:13am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A slow day but quality of fish excellent - caught fish the hole, vercoes , Hauparu and west bank - Haupara best. Smelt flies great - Pats swift ones of course - managed an equal split of hooking fish mid water 20-25m and in bottom 30-40m- best was 3kg but felt bigger than that - 63cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 2:14pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great work, big man. That is a beaut. Glad you got amongst it. Looks like ideal conditions - well worth the road trip down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 5:10pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I can bear witness that Redfinger was indeed there and caught some nice trout.  I was fishing alongside him in his boat using mainly Pat Swift flies but a few other randoms, because try as I might, I could not land a fish.  I had one hookup that lasted all of 30 seconds, that is all.  My role seems to be spectator and cheerleader when I fish at Rotoiti.  I've had a few zilches when others have been slaughtering them all round me.  Still, wouldn't miss it for quids.  It's a beautiful spot, and one day, something will click (please God?).

Strategy for next time is to use a string of Pat Swift grey ghosts.  Pat says this is madness because double and triple hookups will pull your trace apart and lose a lot of fish and flies. I call it stacking the odds in my favour.  I would be stoked to get a double or treble hookup, and even if they took all 3 files, I'd have a grin from ear to ear.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 5:55pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Don't despair Geoff~~your day will come.
I'm hoping mine will tomorrow, lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 6:17pm
Platinum
Platinum

Nice day on the water today and great to catch up with several other f.net members out there.

Fishing was quite slow today picked a few every now and then, heard the late afternoon produced a good bite.

Got 6 total today 2 over 6lb and this donkey at 10.16lb.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 6:33pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Well done Josh...
Great to see Rotoiti producing fish like that.

Think it's time you dumped that tee  shirt tho LOL
Page  <1 161718