Rotoiti

Page  <1 1718192021 31>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 10:40am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I dont know what the answer is Lester - it just seems that in mid summer these Rotoiti fish get a large dose of attitude problem when it comes to taking the fly or whatever. I try and look for fish that could possibly be feeding and working on a couple of things that i will comment on once out of the development/testing stage.  All i can say for the moment without looking more of an idiot than usual is keep a very close eye on the sounder.  The creep function on minkota has helped at times too.  These fish are never really easy for me but my catch rate is slowly getting better and seem to do at least as well as others fishing nearby.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 11:58am
advtracing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

anyone fishing the lakes this weekend ? looking to head down friday to monday , may do anwhenuia unless i can tag along with another boat in the rotorua area ( will be taking my 5m barra boat )
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapperoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 12:58pm
Snapperoo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

bit off topic, but how is Aniwhenua?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 3:56pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rotoiti still producing plenty of fish but can be limited to an hour or two of great fishing during the day and the rest of the day really tough.

Fishing around the forecast bite times generally works for me when it's tough going.

A work mate got a bunch after work yesterday during the minor bite time. UV Grey Ghost, Slimey Ghost or Yellow Lady catch all the fish.

I might head out after work Thursday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coochdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 5:57pm
Coochdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey AP what bite time charts do you find best?

One thing i noticed last time gutting the fish,was how you could clearly see the influence of bite times by the differant levels of decomposing smelt in the gut.

Most fish had a full belly with around 4 to 5 clumps of smelt in differant levels of decay, from pretty much still kicking in the mouth too a decayed mess.

Bite times or were they simply feeding when there gut had caught up?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 9:15pm
Platinum
Platinum

[QUOTE=Coochdog] Hey AP what bite time charts do you find best?/QUOTE]

I just use the the bite times from F.net mate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 1:08pm
Silver
Silver

i'll hit the lake this weekend and advise , looking like showers forming in the hill which my put some flow into the streams and onto the lake .
could get them stacking in the colder water inflow. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:51pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I saw one of the locals occasionally winding up a few meters and dropping down.    Got strikes.    I also tried it and got the occasional strike that way when nothing else seems to work.   

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 7:58am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah I have used that trick at Kai Iwi - I suspect the sinker hitting the bottom creates a puff of sand and brings the fish in to investigate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:20am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've done a couple of very enjoyable trips with Redfinger in his centre console fishing weapon to Rotoiti - one where we had the pleasure of bumping into Rainbow out on the water. We didn't set the world on fire, but it's a great place to fish and full of promise.

One thing that I recall happened a lot was that fish would zero in on flies as they were dropped down to the zone (Russell pointed them out, plain as day, changing direction to follow the flies on his sounder screen).
They didn't always bite, but they definitely noticed and were attracted to that fairly rapid initial drop.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 4:08pm
Platinum
Platinum

Red hot 2hr session today right in the forecast bite time.

Wind was garbage gusting 20knts from the South but the Minn Kota held us right where I wanted to be.

Grey Ghost the only fly that caught fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 9:41pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow, an ancient fly still catching trout! Who'd have thought
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 9:50am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Grey ghost been my best jigging fly since i started jigging years ago.
Nice fishing AP - Im down thursday and Friday fishing with Pat - trying to get a fish in your class! Where were you fishing mate.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 11:54am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fished with Pat Swift thursday - after slowish start ended up landing 34 and many lost. Particularly good bite after 3 pm
Only kept a few really and next morning i ended up taking acouple of fly fishers from our club for first time jigging - for 3 hours we landed 15 and they had a ball. 
sIZE down quite a bit where we were - best 2.8kg and lots of smaller fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:37pm
Silver
Silver

sounds like a good few days , sorry didn't catch up , weekend turn to crap on friday with 4x4 starter issues on the way to rotorua and the weekend turned into a total loss...Angry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 8:25pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

The only excellent bite time today was 05:24 to 07:24 according to the Fishing.net bite time calculator.

Does anyone go jigging in the dark?

Well done Redfinger - 34 in a day is getting up there.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 9:41pm
Platinum
Platinum

Bite time has certainly been fishing well recently.

Nice one Russ, glad you had a great day out with Pat.

I was out that evening for 2hrs after work, plenty of fish around but bite time was later. Managed 10 and took out the longest trout in the cash grab Luremasters Comp.

Far Quirk yes I have stayed out jigging till around 11pm a few times. Still catch fish but certainly not as frantic as daytime. I have also found at night (where I have fished anyway) that I have found the fish shallower like around 15-20m.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote old timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 8:27am
old timer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I find of e you are too early or too late in the day the jigging is quieter. I think the secret is to have sun on the water. I think once the sun goes down the fish spread out in the water column more. During bright days they go deep and are more concentrated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 10:02am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Old Timer - i fish alot with Pat Swift and he very much subscibes to your theory. Even tot he point he said fishing int he cloudy rainy days no good at all.
I am wondering whether it is the UV light penetration that is important - at 25-35m in Rotoiti it would be pretty gloomy and dark even middle of day under normal daylight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 11:29am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That definitely makes a lot of sense in terms of the smelting congregations.

I had good success jigging in 15-20m at Tarawera at dawn and dusk - with Woolly Bugger flies twitched right on the bottom. Presumably they are hunting for bullies and koura at that time in that depth, then when it gets brighter go out deeper to chase the smelt?

Page  <1 1718192021 31>