Right engine size for 6.2m Sea Nymph Commander?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 7:23pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by davidc davidc wrote:

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

I would go S/S prop at the same time.

Should I specifically ask for a stainless steel prop? I hadn't really thought about it. Presumably these are the best?

The new motors come with alloy props which are fine, I like S/S props more robust, better hole shot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 7:51pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you have 140HP on there now, then a 150HP will be fine. ZDon't go for either the Suzuki 140 or the Yamaha 130, both are just hopped up 115s. They have the same displacement and block as the 115 models. 

Displacement is a good indicator of Torque and Torque is what you need for acceleration and bar crossings etc. 

So your best options are the 3 litre v6 Mercury, 2.8 litre 150 Yamaha, or the 2.3 litre 150 HP Honda as a minimum. 
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davidc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 8:52pm
davidc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for that Bigfishbob!

Here's the boat:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 9:29pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks like a 5.5
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davidc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 10:01pm
davidc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thank you. I'll get out the tape measure and make sure! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 5:58am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by davidc davidc wrote:

Thanks for that Bigfishbob!

Here's the boat:

Definatly 5.5 or 18'6" Commander
This was my first boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 8:14am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Depending on how cooperative the dealer with engine is ..and assuming they dont exchange props willingly..
Stainless are expensive...if not close enough, and need a 2nd you are up for bit either side of a grand.
 Alloy is  far cheaper.
 As to hole shot.. well powered , like WoT speed, does it really matter? If have good comfortable climb over the bow wave at part throttle  do you need to be able to throw ppl back off their feet?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 6:02pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seeing how a 150hp yammy new is $25k or so why not sell yoour boat for $10k and buy something up to date for $36K ??
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 8:59am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seeing how a 150hp yammy new is $25k or so why not sell yoour boat for $10k and buy something up to date for $36K ??
On the surface that is the most logical way to go. In practice doesnt work that way.
I have been watching markets for couple yrs now to do something like that.
Assuming ones current 'older' boat is solid.
Everything around that price is either older ( thinner hull alloys , suspect hull issues, and /or min to under powered, or high hrs sort stuff.
 Get into the $45/65K and one is starting to talk, but even then so many are still min or underpowered  compared to a 130/ 150 hp on the back of a fully loaded Commander.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 10:30am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes might agree with you steps but if going to spend $$ on a motor and older hull.if you take the sum of $36 K could be a very nice deposit on something newer.unless of course you having to finance motor in the first place. Who has a lazy $26k ??
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 11:23am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeak PJC
 These are all pionts we looked at and still are for a few yrs now.
It depends how money flush on is..
 We are not..hence going 2nd hand low hrs , maintained 20" that took a couple yrs to turn up.
We where at the stage of increasing transom as getting close to moving west and 25" 140s where popping up every now and then... 2S dropping in price (thats sale price not asking price) with 4S coming in.

Capital cost of the new or newer 4S engine against the older cost of fuel for 2 S.
Then throw in sale value maybe another 10yrs down the line.
 A balance of the maths sorta..

These numbers maybe of interest to some.

New wasnt an option for us.
Ended up buy the 2S  150 , 9K  run it for 6months or so then sold the2S 115 for 7K .. fitting ourselves so the upgrade was 2K plus sealant etc... and well propped extra economy (so long as cruise at old speed)

Have put thru 3X 20L drums oil approx $340 each @ 1L per 48L fuel (which would use anyway) equates to around just over 2800L ...
yeah we do and have done lot fishing..
With around 12+ % increase in economy ..
 think my of the top of head maths is  close..
That equates to about $100 less oil
And fuel at older $2:20L around $600.
 So cost engine swap less 700 still about $1200 todate cost engine upgrade

I have noticed the market with these older 'Commander' ranger hulls good condition, may need a coat paint to hide the odd chip here and there, sell around the 10 to 14K with a good post 2000 engine and trailer... even if have a later model  4S

And the ones with later model 4S list for long times and dont sell at  the " what the boat owes me" prices.

.if you take the sum of $36 K could be a very nice deposit on something newer.unless of course you having to finance motor in the first place. Who has a lazy $26k ??

That is a a good point as well...
We have never (over 50yrs) brought anything paying cash, other than mortgages on previous homes.
Rather than pay interest even worse compound interest, we put what we would do aside, plus the disposable income used to eventually buy what ever ..
 So cant comment on cost deposites etc..but what you are saying sounds right for those work do that stuff.

End of the day it does come back to bit of caught between the ocean and deep blue sea.. catch 22

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davidc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 3:44pm
davidc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Good question. The answer has two parts:

1. Yamaha are offering good financing terms for the new engine, and I don't have $25k in cash to hand. I'm unlikely to get as good financing on another boat.

2. The current steering and engine are completely munted. Who will buy a boat they can't even take on the water for a test drive? I suspect I'd be doing well to get $10k, and could get a great deal less.

The current hull is in good condition, and I think with a new engine and steering it will be something to last for years.

If anyone wants to offer $10k for the boat as-is send me a message please Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davidc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 4:09pm
davidc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks to all those who replied.

Yamaha approved 1.95% financing so might go for the new 130HP engine. Since it's 5.5m my understanding is that should be okay.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 5:02pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you do need a boat builder, I’ve been told these guys are good.

Viv-Carboglass
+64 45679854

[email protected]

11 Peterkin Street
Wingate
Lower Hutt, 5019
New Zealand

www.carboglass.co.nz

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 8:50pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think you will majorly over capitalise the hull, have you had the boat valued with the new motor on.

I would get the hull inspected to make sure there are no structural issues, the company above will be able to do that for you, you would want to make sure you don’t have other issues in the coming years.

What’s the trailer condition like and how long will it continue to get a wof for before it needs a major rebuild. Rust in trailers can be invisible from the outside of the trailer but the steel could be paper thin in some places. Some older boats can become a money pit.

Remember that’s what the word boat stands for - break out another thousand
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davidc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 1:51pm
davidc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You're right that it will be over capitalising, at least to some extent.

The hull is in good condition, although of course that's for its age.

The trailer was built specifically for it brand new in 2020 so no issues with that part at least.

Is any boat not a money pit? :-)
Page  <12