Reel bearings

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14thebin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reel bearings
    Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 9:40pm
14thebin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, Anyone know what the bearing identifications/ numbers are for the Shimano stradic 2500 fi reel. I have pulled the reel apart, cleaned it and it still feels gritty. Must be the bearings I think. Also is their a supplier you have used that can send them direct. I am hoping that the shielded ball bearings are not unique and that you can get them from a reasonable bearing supplier?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 3:12pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you think the bearings are stuffed, rip the shields off them, clean them with carb cleaner and apply some marine grease and see if that fixes them. If it doesn't and they're still shot, download the schematic from the shimano website 
http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/Reel_Schematics.html find the bearing code and then give Hunts in Milford, Jeff Murray out West, or swordfish steve here on the forums a bell and ask for that part number. 

hth

B

I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 5:38pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah its a good day for that today aye
no left overs after greasing washers and cleaning everything either ,always a bonus

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 5:43pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Take the bearings out and take to a bearing place,i use auckland bearings on the nth shore,average price is $ 6. The arb bearing wont be available but they are definatly a pull apart and clean bearing.dont over grease the arb bearing or it wont work...
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 10:27pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

x2 for Auckland Bearings in Diana Drive, GlenfieldThumbs Up
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 10:45am
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

x3 For Auckland Bearings! Had the 3 bearings I needed for my sl30sh, casts like a dream now
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 11:35pm
rockit View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by EditB EditB wrote:

download the schematic from the shimano website 
http://fish.shimano.com/publish//global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/Reel_Schematics. - http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/Reel_Schematics.html
There is also good source for Shimano JDM spinning reels' schematics: http://reels.spin-review.ru/shimano.htm - http://reels.spin-review.ru/shimano.htm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 7:58am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try swordfish Steve.. 
Epsom
https://www.reelrepairguy.co.nz/

Drags whatever sent out by courier real quick..
And is very good if need a pointer here and there..

Bearings/ bushes , no matter how big small etc.. hydro plant or a reel.. are basically std sizes..
Then there are the materials made of.

Shimano are not primarily makers of fishing reels, but rather high end bearings and gears for reels, cycles and such....Even then they make them to different specs for different uses/ models
So when getting replacements, dont just go for  brand X. Wink

And then there is where they are made.. a lot of chinese stuff has slightly higher,  lead content enough to maybe just meet spec.. in the test sample, to cut back on tooling costs...

Example: a exercise machine bearing maybe same size as a skateboard.. when they die, competition skate board will last forever.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 9:12am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is a 7 year old thread Steps. Resurrected by a guy with a Russian name pushing a Russian parts website. Could be all genuine of course
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 10:27am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmm .. missed that.

Regardless an update to plug Swordfish Steve...Thumbs Up

I go on about lack of professional professionalism.

My dealings , even thu small.. very professional and informative.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 7:09pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That aside....
I'm interested to know if any one else has put ceramic bearings in their reels. Have just put some in a couple of mine, but too soon to tell longterm. They do run silky at the moment tho.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 7:37pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You get them locally Terry? Have  Curado that I need to do bearings in when I have time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 8:12pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No I bought them off ebay, come out of china. Put them into a couple of 20/40's as spool bearings, replacing the bush on the ratchet end and the standard bearing on the other end. The other reel was a td sol, and that was the bail roller. There was a guy in Christchurch that was selling them, but the cost prohibited me, on something that I knew little about. If you're unfamiliar with them, basic run down is, ceramic balls with stainless retainers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 8:13pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

NZ Miniature Bearings  have a good range - you just need to know the size. I've done a few of my reels recently, including my 200 & 300 Curados. They've got a range of ceramic/stainless hybrids but big jump in price.
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 8:20pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That the christchurch one? Sounds familiar. Yeah there was a big difference in price between the stainless and ceramic but if they last 4 times as long...….
And don't no-one start up about maintenance. I know!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 8:21pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And for the price of what I got em outta china, its worth a try
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 8:34pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just looked it back up. Cost me $25 for abec7 bearings for the spool on 20/40 delivered. Just had to visit the letterbox for 3 weeks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 8:05pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I put ceramics In a Curado, it spinned for over a minute. Now have them in my Calcutta.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote atis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 2:49pm
atis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just noticed this thread, here's my experience.
I have ordered some time ago ABEC7 full ceramic bearings for reel handles.
The bottom handle bearing gets the most of the salt water, so I thought its a good idea to keep it rust free. After serving around 6 months of a charter boat (Snap fishing) I had a look and the bearing just fell apart. The casing and the balls were so worn, that the bearing just woudn't hold together. 
Got replaced with stainless. 
I reckon, the ceramic bearings could be good if someone uses the reel only few times a year and not too fussed about the cleaning. 
I wouldn't recommend them for sustained heavy usage or for the main spool bearing. 

www.basszone.co.nz

home of reels
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 9:26am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Atis you have used a ceramic bearing where the is side loading.. Yes they will shatter.
Incorrect application.

Ceramic bearings and shafts are designed for things like centrifugal pump shafts and bearings.. Usually a bush rather than a bearing.
Replacing spool bearings in an egg beater where no side loading would last longer than the reel.. Or rather bushes..
The down side maybe with many yrs use the shaft would wear and the ceramic bush will not.
Page  12>