Reel advice for Kingies off the rocks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rock Stomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reel advice for Kingies off the rocks
    Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 5:15pm
Rock Stomper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi folks,

I've just signed up to the forum as I've found a lot of information on here useful and looking to talk to/meet some like-minded fishing mates.

I recently went up to Spirits Bay to try to pop a fishing cherry and (being from England) a bucket list fish.
Well it worked out and I managed to land a Kingie, at 96CM it wasn't a monster but I was chuffed to say the least. This was on a cheapie Shimano vortex rock set up and after constantly being told it wouldn't stand up to much I hot footed it to a tackle shop with a better set up in mind.

I ended up spending quite a bit on a Shimano Topwater 8'2 50-80lb rod and a baitrunner 12000D spooled with 80lb braid.
I've since had one more slightly larger Kingie on this set up and it handled it fine but since doing my research a bit I'm getting worried....

Anyway enough of the jibber jabber, could anyone advise me whether this set up will handle a bigger Kingie?
I bought it with the thought that I could either fish with lures or live bait but to be honest I'm 90% livebaiting.

Thanks in advance

Jake
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 5:56pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ask in this forum mate, all land based fishing
http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/walkabout_forum19.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rock Stomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 1:31pm
Rock Stomper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

ask in this forum mate, all land based fishing
http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/walkabout_forum19.html

Thanks mate