Really????

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Really????
    Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 10:22pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Many years ago I decided to further camouflage my floating, mat green fly line for clear water spooky browns.     I stripped off 5 or so meters, wound it up in small coils, and soaked half of the coils in a green dye bath.    When the dye had set I stretched it out on the carpet.     Sure enough, the front of the line had light and darker olive-coloured segments, each about 100mm long.     I was really pleased with my DIY camo job.   Sadly, what looked so good on dry land turned into a fizzer on the water the moment the line was moved.     The line turned into a long train, with each darker segment becoming a moving wagon now much more visible than a single coated line.

When a fly line company came out with a ridged floating line I got pretty excited.     Not because of the claim that the ridged profile would reduce friction in the guides but because I thought the valleys would hold more silicon paste and improve floating.     I am not sure if it did but they certainly trapped more dirt and slime.     But that isn't all.

As you can imagine the ridge profile has a much greater surface area than a round profile and consequently has more wetted surface, which adds to the overall casting weight.     I imagine that this profile when moved sideways offers more water stick at mending than one that is smooth and round.   

Be careful what you read or what some endorsonators tell you.

Cheers

Rainbow 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2023 at 3:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Great info there Rainbow. It's thinking like that that shows why you're so influential. Unfortunately I would be among the worst ten fly fishermen in the world. But how did your carpet survive your experiment? 
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2023 at 9:02pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi Smudge     When I am in the grip of a new idea I tend to forget about collateral damage.    Luckily there was none on that occasion.      

However, talking about unplanned collateral damage here is a good one.     

I used to make my own fly rods starting with bare blanks.     A friend became quite keen making one for himself.
They had just shifted into a brand-new house that featured an expensive shag pile carpet.     This story would not make sense without mentioning that in their marriage my friend's wife ruled the roost so to speak,     

Anyway one day I got a phone call inviting me to witness the final stages of rod building, namely the application of the epoxy to the guide wrappings.  He also mentioned that his wife had gone out.     To stop the epoxy from sagging during the hardening process the rod needs to rotate slowly.    My friend had built a rotating machine using a disused microwave motor.    When I arrived, he had already placed the rotating rod assembly on a bed of newspaper to protect the deep shag pile carpet.

As everything was going fine with the rod slowly rotating on its cradle my friend made us a cup of coffee, which we enjoyed on the veranda, while observing the rotating rod through the wide-open ranch slider doors.     Suddenly I felt a slight breeze on my neck that at the same time lifted several sheets of newspaper.    Some stuck to the still sticky epoxy forming a paper ball.    This threw the still rotating rod off its cradle and thrashed the sticky mess all over the carpet.    

Anticipating his wife's return my friend panicked and began wildly cutting any sticky threads with a pair of scissors.     Before I wisely departed, I could see several bare patches among the otherwise flawless carpet.    Whatever the outcome of this domestic drama was I am pleased to say that they are still married.

Cheers

Rainbow