Ramp And Water Access Data Base

Page  <1 8910
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C Pick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 6:04pm
C Pick View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Does anyone here have any feedback on the launching ramp at Sumner in CHCH?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:36am
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Aotea Harbour

Went there yesterday...first time in ages. Sand now extremely soft and NOT suitable for 2WDs or heavy boats.

If there's several boats coming out at once, everyone tends to wait for the next one to get out to see if they need a hand - it's called courtesy!! Interestingly, I offered assistance to the last boat in as he was in a AWD stationwagon and it was dark and high tide so no firm sand. When I asked "Would you like a hand?" the only reply from the grumpy old git was "The only hand I'll need is for you to piss off out the way!!" I hope he's still there and had a comfortable night in his car!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote offcut1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 10:51am
offcut1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The Sumner ramp is in good shape. Two ramps with a concrete jetty between them. If it is the bottom hour or two of the tide it's very shallow and you'll have to back out over the sand to launch, getting your vehicle wet doing so. Above the lowest couple of hours it's fine. Good angle on the concrete ramp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote adgerowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 6:53pm
adgerowley View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

New to the site!! And new to boating, What a great thread! Had a quick read through, and I think alike most on here, join the forum to get tips, ideas and info, from like minded men and women as the case maybe! I actually live in dairy flat and will probably be launching of Orewa, so couldn’t have been more timely ,(although the thread goes back to 2007) thank you to the original poster...So glad I found this little gem in the mix of **** sites out there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 7:00pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tanners Point now really only usable at low (off the end) and high tide (in the corner) due to silting. Small boats only off the side at mid tide. Seriously overdue for a digger visit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Gatekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 9:58pm
Gatekeeper View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Port Nelson - Top of the South - Nelson Marina has just upgraded the boat ramp installing 90m of pontoon you can now use.

More trailer parking is also underway and also long-term boat storage.

There is never a better time to go fishing than now, live the day
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 3:45pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Its been 30 years since I've boated out wide from Mangawhai Harbour. I have a well set up f/G 6x metre 250hp outboard setup. 
I'm hoping someone can provide me with a current update and tidal entrance update as I am searching for suitable holiday locations.
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 4:57pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by lizid lizid wrote:

Tanners Point now really only usable at low (off the end) and high tide (in the corner) due to silting. Small boats only off the side at mid tide. Seriously overdue for a digger visit.

Digger had just finished clearing it when I was there about a month ago.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 10:17pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Took them over 2 years to get the digger there. My post about this was 28 April 2018.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote red_car Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 8:33pm
red_car View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi.

I'm based in Wellington, and recently bought a small alloy boat (Surtees 4.7m).

Keen to get out to Mana.  Just want to confirm the best place to launch... I'm assuming at Mana under the bridge.  I don't have a 4WD - is it ok to launch with a 2WD car (Holden Commodore).

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 10:56am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by red_car red_car wrote:

...I'm based in Wellington..

Yep, you'll be fine. The sand is really firm on that ramp. There are only two tides where you need to pay close attention... if it's really low, you have to be careful not to drop the trailer too far over the drop into the channel, or you can get the cross-beam of the trailer hung up on the edge. And if it's all the way in, the whole ramp gets covered in water right up to the two entrances. The problem is that it's like a big shelf; it's not deep enough to float your boat up, and instead you just get wet up to the door-sills of your car. Not so much a 4WD issue as a lower car issue. If you do get into that situation, there is often a little channel on the left hand side (looking from the water) where a stormwater pipe comes out, if you're lucky you can float the boat up there and retrieve it with the car still basically in the carpark. Only works with smaller boats though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davidc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 9:46pm
davidc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

There's not much information online about taking your own boat out on the Whanganui River. Does anyone know what it's like putting your boat in at Whanganui and taking it up-river? We have a 6m runabout. Thanks in advance!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Manaia#2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 8:08am
Manaia#2 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just a warning if you are planning to use the Westhaven boat ramp at the moment.

About 80% of the car & trailer parking has been taken up with construction contractors stuff and yachts on semi-hard stand - well yes, they are on trailers.

Leaves about half a dozen or so spaces. I guess it's winter and Panuku will free up the parking for summer. I hope.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pierre'o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 9:23am
Pierre'o View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sulphur Beach (Northcote): Does this ramp dry out at low tide?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 9:57am
Jezza View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Is Thames in level 2???

Rumohr has it that Waikawau ramp is chained off? Is that true for us on the outskirts of Hams not currently affected by level 3?

J
it's a fact woggle-bogglebee exists.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Malcolm in the Middle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 3:38pm
Malcolm in the Middle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thames is Level 2

I understand they have been doing concreting work at the Waikawau ramp but it is still usable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:49am
Jezza View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

nice, that is true found out you just have to enter the ramp from the side, also found out im actually in level 3 so enjoy the fishing people from Morrisville abroad . I went out the Sunday before level 3 actioned and the fishing was awesome.

Kereta on a flat day without the south westerly (avoid with a south - south westerly) is totally do able as well used to have a $5 launching fee may be more now.
it's a fact woggle-bogglebee exists.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 3:07pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Not sure how I missed that one, another CHAT bot evaporated. I don't think they're endangered species yet
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BotStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 3:13pm
BotStomper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm kinda intrigued as to how/why that post completely broke the formatting of the forum.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 5:08pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Originally posted by BotStomper BotStomper wrote:

I'm kinda intrigued as to how/why that post completely broke the formatting of the forum.
Not yours, it was Phantom Menace's which had some rogue code in it and has been deleted.
Online...
Page  <1 8910