Ramco vs Fyran

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ramco vs Fyran
    Posted: 13 Jun 2003 at 10:59am
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

am soon going to be boatless again, so have been considering what i can get myself into for next summer. realistically, i think it will be a 13ft aluminium dinghy of some sort. had a good look around at the boatshow - quite a few manufactures produce them dont they? but i thought that the best examples were by ramco and fyran.

to me there wasnt really much between them hull shape wise - except the ramco was 4m compared to fyrans at 3.85m - same beam, weight and freeboard. the ramco looked to be set up for longshaft motors cos it didnt have a notch cut down into the transom where you mount the outboard. do you think it is a significant safety aspect having reduced freeboard across the transom?

so other than that, the real differences were in the internal layout. the ramco had two seats welded crosswise and the fyran had a seat running lengthwise down each side with two wooden seats hung between them across the boat. would this layout compromise torsional stiffness of the boat?  would it affect the ride/handling of the boat? the advantage i would see with this layout, is the ablity to have siding seats - one position for driving (tiller-steer) and then slide it forward for fishing.

and lastly, most probably will hang a four stroke 15hp on the back. enough? usually the boat would have two people on board - say perhaps 160kg of people weight. extras would include 25 litre of fuel, fishing gear, cold box - perhaps 20kg all up with bait and burley in it - and i intend to add a bit of a floor to it - that might weigh an extra 10kg. would probably be happy to cruise at 20mph - max out 25?

any thoughts guys (girls?)? what else do i need to consider with these sorts of boats?

m

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lalandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2003 at 12:02pm
lalandi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

BH, BH, BH... Crikey... its hard not too. You need to see me... I possibly have another option for you. If not, make sure it has nav lights and an all round white... 13fters are real easy to miss at night.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2003 at 12:24pm
Titanium
Titanium

im still keeping my options open. took a long hard look at the Mac boats - the 360 is cool - but a bit on the small side. the 420 is better - but would need to go up one size in motor cos they tend to weigh a bit and you loose the ability to drag it down the beach if youre missing a ramp.

considered an inflatable. had one in years gone by and the safety of the pontoons - like the Mac - appeals, but my old one got pretty dirty and beat up quite fast. not really ideal for fishing - and the round sides soak up a lot of the interior room.

idealy, if a light weight Mac 400 existed which someone could supply at wholesale rates perhaps... anyone? ;-)

marcus

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2003 at 2:40pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Marcus,

My choice would be the Ramco, I belive it has thicker bottom and sides, And more freeboard?. I think you can get a three seat model, which I would prefer, as you can mount your bait board and tackel on the third seat while fishing, and If a third person comes along it can be used as a seat. Tiller stearing is the way to go. Ive got fixed (removable) swival seats in my boat, seats make the boat much more comfortable. For motors I would get a 25 hp, get the max it can take and on a fine day you can go where you like (within reason).go for a two stroke and save a little weight. As for mac boats I think bang for bucks, you would have  to get a tinnie. 20 - 25 mph is aboutt the right speed for a little boat.

On the other hand have you seen those quinrex 410, with 30 hp merc and trailer for under $10,000.

Wefaknis

Oh yeah, I'm looking for a 15 hp super (18 hp) for my boat who is the dealer to see for a deal. when do next years models come out??.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2003 at 4:22pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hey marcus, if you go for a small tinnie there is a company, stedi-u-boats i think, and they make welded alum pontoons for tinnies. i think they bolt on the back end and have a plate that goes across the transom. it makes em into a stabi type boat. very neat looking and you can stand on the pontoon. unsinkable as well. i have an email addy somewhere for em if you ever want to check it out. as far as ramco vs fyran goes, well i'd lean to the ramco. when you see the two in the water the ramco looks like it has more freeboard. looks much more substantial in the water. i like the seats along the side tho, cause you can walk about easier. my humble opinion, john
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapatak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2003 at 6:16pm
Snapatak View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi there, I have a mac 360 with a 15 hp, one thing with boats you don't get nothing for nothing, it all compromise. the mac is stable, quiet, smooth riding and I'm very happy with it, however it lacks free board and storage, it's also quite heavy for a small boat, which is good in choppy water but not for man handling, also the aft seat is adjustable, it slops some water over the transom when slowing down. With the 15hp it gets on the plane good with one person but struggles with two, I also have a permatrim which is good. The mac comes with a 5 year hull warranty which is good because I split the inner sink in mine, the guys at mac are great and fixed it up with no trouble so far. I do give it a hammering at times as it's a great little sea boat. But I wounder but the 360 macs with a 25hp, they have a different backet but mine split up the front.

Anyway it's alittle more info for you. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JBoffshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2003 at 8:59pm
JBoffshore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i have heard that the ramcos generally have better hull designs and are more stable but i may just be hearsay. you can also get those little fold down stabaliser things that i would imagine would be very usefull on a little boat. i agree with the white idea. they are often hard enough to see in the day time

b.m

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Knightowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2003 at 7:05pm
Knightowl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Bounty Hunter

I work as an alloy boat builder, and strongly suggest you ask the sales reps what thickness the transom is. This is normally the first part to crack up and/or have the outboard mounting bolts pull through. I hace done numerous repairs on 12-15 footers with these problems,( often also due to overpowering).

My opinion is that the Ramco's are much stronger than the Fyran's, but also heavier to pull up a beach, A price you pay for strength. This is my personal opinion only.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2003 at 7:57pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Bounty Hunter,

Ive been looking at the difference between the 4.0 m ramco and the fyrans lately, and the ramco has about 100mm more free board, so If your going out on the lake the fyran, but on the ocean the ramco would be my choice, well worth the extra $1000.00 you will pay.

Snapatak, what was the boat like without the peratrim. I saw them for sale for $135 the other day, and was wondering how would you rate them for bang for bucks spent??.

Wefaknis

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2003 at 9:33pm
Titanium
Titanium

sinkafew,

yeah i think the ramco could be the go - starting to put some money aside for it now. probably get a two seat model, with a veiw to putting a chilli bin in the middle, which could double as a seat. also been looking at some of those old sam mossman dinghy articles - might look at adding a set of bow rails with curtains - not sure if its worth the time and effort though - guess youve got to expect to get fairly wet in small boats. i want to try and make it a really capable small boat - i remember someone in here relaying a story about fishing the eastern side of kawau in a 12 footer - crazy - but thats the sort of stuff im looking at doing - i mean there no reason you couldnt fish cape brett etc on the right day...

next thing to think about is the trailer - intend to tow the thing up north quite a bit so i need something which is going to stand up to it - looking at some small trailers they seem to be bit on the light weight side - particularly in the wheels department - many have tiny wheels and those stupid centre nut/wheel bearing combo - want to get someone who can supply a trailer with a proper stud pattern hub and 'real' wheels - and of course at a really sharp price - hate paying retail...

marcus

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2003 at 6:03am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Marcus
why not buy a trailor that can be used as a boat trailor...with a 12 fter it is easy enough to of load and we always need a trailor for something...kills two greenies with one tofu spear.I have seen a couple that have a tilt tray that the sides are hinged on so that they can act as a cradle for the boat...probably a bit dearer but saves buying 2 trailors. A place in Henderson called Wormald Welding makes both boat trailors and normal trailors. I use Mani for all my stuff and have found him a lot cheaper than elsewhere.
Ive had 2 Pamcos. The first was a 14 fter and although I thought it was great the thing used to broach in a following sea all the time. The one I have now is a 16fter and that problem has been solved. The difference is that the 14fter had a flat back with the motor mounted on it the 16fter has a sloping back with the motor mounted further back of a out rigger "thing".
be interesting to see what you come up with
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2003 at 7:33am
Naki View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

BH,

You might want to think about those Dolphin Aqualisers. A mate has them on his 12.6" tinnie. Greatest thing since sliced bread...

President of the "Pontoon Owners Club".
I started off with nothing and now I still have most of it left!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2003 at 7:51am
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive seen pics in the NZ fishing mags, Two guys caught a copule of (little) marlin in a 12 foot tinnie, with a 15 hp on the back, they had bamboo out riggers from memory, now that be crazy.

Ive got a dunbeer (spelling) trailer, built in oz, but a exellent little trailer. I can't fault it. I think you buy the trailer as a kit and you put it together.

Sinkafew

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapatak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2003 at 8:11am
Snapatak View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bounty hunter, if you plan to fish hard in your small boat a must is a good set off weather gear if you haven't already got some. I use my small boat to it's limit sometimes and past on ocassion, it's amazing what they can handle.

Wefaknis, I recommend the permatrim strongly, my personal opinion is I would own a boat without one, I haven't used the mac without a permatrim because the motor came off another mac boat I had (mac340). However some benefits are the abiltly to plane at lower speeds, getting on the plane without to many revs, abiltly to mount your motor higher on the transom and much more control over the trim of your boat. Bang for bucks? Well they say they save fuel which they probably do, I don't notice it much with the small boat but all the other benefits speak for themselves. I had a 580 bluefin with twin 60hps, this had no permatrims when I brought it, after fitting them it transformed the boat, planing at lower speeds in rough sea pervented alot of pounding, lifting the motors higher on the transom pervented sea splashing where it shoundn't and without the prematrims the boat would not plane with one motor, after fitting it would and surprized me it would get up to 20 knts.

CHeers