Forum Name: Fishing Reports
Forum Description: Share information about your latest fishing trip
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97182
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 8:56am

Topic: Kaiaua fishing
Posted By: spaceships
Subject: Kaiaua fishing
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 11:28am
Anyone been out from Kaiaua in the firth lately.  Thinking of launching from there tomorrow and wondering what the snapper are doing that far up at the moment. I have been fishing west coast lately so haven't had the chance to see for myself for quite a while. cheers

Replies:
Posted By: Gottafew
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 1:40pm
I am looking to head up that way possibly next Thursday...

-------------
When people ask me how we got on I say..Yeah We Gottafew.

Posted By: skunk
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 2:55pm
Hey guys..good mate of mine launched off the beach at the colonels Thursday morning for a session at the mussel farm..tryed in close from 6.30 for only small fish for half an hour then moved to furtherest out row and must have stopped in the right place !..reckons from the first bait was just getting smashed by real nice pannies up to 550mm.
Didn't matter what bait they used..even an old freezer burnt bit of eel was snaffled..even at slack water they still were biting hard ..couple of hrs and they were on there way with a great feed or two.
Fish are probably further south as well ..but would try and fish change of light times.
Good luck

-------------
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 11:40am
thanks for that info skunk......anyone else ?????????
not going today. gonna wait for this wind to drop off a bit so it will be a bit more comfy out there. maybe later in the week....

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 11:46am
Swt as ..I hope to get up there also in the next few days

-------------

Posted By: Corokingi
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 10:05pm
fishing well on that side , heard the deeper rows are the place to try aswell.

Posted By: ramcoed
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 11:49am
Goin out 2moro,YES!

-------------
limit your catch not catch your limit!

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 12:02pm
Will be out there tomorrow as well..somewhere

-------------

Posted By: cosmo
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 2:05pm
oh ok then if you insist I ll b there also LOL

-------------
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 7:05pm
well that put paid to that idea......top the oil up put cap back on go to tighten it and breaks in my hand dammit not a happy lad

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 7:42pm
****.Do you wanna jump on with us cosmo?launching kaiaua town ramp tho..

-------------

Posted By: Screaming Reels
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 7:56pm
Bugger me i almost keen to drive for 3 hours if he says no 

-------------
The Car Doctor Mangakino

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 8:02pm
cheers gottafew but no appreciate offer but going to do rodeo now,do appreciate offer tho

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 9:49pm
You staying out the whole day gottafew?high tide 810 am.ive been launching flowry road last trips since I didn't renew my quarry membership.all tide launching too at flowry

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 10:09pm
got out there for a couple of hours this evening at last.

launched at kawakawa as needed to pump up the spaceship on the way through, turned right towards orere and out a bit.
Started fishing at 5.30 ish and pulled the pin just before eight. Ended up with 15 snaps up to 40cm between the two of us.
not a bad effort in the horrible seas that the northerly was blowing straight down the firth. Further out towards the middle the rougher it got.
anyway.........the point is that yes I think you should all find fish out from kaiaua somewhere, seemed to be plenty there this evening.

On a crazy note..... 4 asians in a 14ft parkercraft with an old yammy (2 wearing lifejackets) leaving the ramp and blasting across the bay. About 1/4 of the way across took a hard turn to seek shelter from the islands. Good idea in their little boat.

good luck.

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 10:17pm
yea most likely staying out for most of the day ramcoed.Where is flowry road ?m8

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 10:22pm
Nice one spaceships..you are going to miss the fishing when you relocate...

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 11:50pm
thanks gottafew......
i shall be changing target species is all.....great whites and icebergs and maybe some blue cod.

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 9:49pm
Well we had a tough day today.Plagued by small goldfish even after moving a couple of times.Took home 6 snapper which enough for a feed I spose lol.Saw spaceships at the ramp at kaiaua when I came in and he was just launching.How did you get on spaceships??

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 10:15pm
hey gottafew, thought that was you there.

we did good, got quite choppy for a while with waves from three directions at once somehow.
We got 12 nice pannies and boat back on trailer by 8 oclock. Plenty of throw backs as well. the bite seemed to really come on about seven with baits getting taken before the bottom even.

cheers

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 10:53pm
Good stuff.The police persuit of this Asian dude through kaiaua was entertaining lol

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 9:53am
Thanks for the reports guys..
What direction and depth did you get on to them Spaceships?

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 10:27am
Hi all,launched at F.Lowry rd 7;30 am,headed north to kaiaua mussel farms,sat there for 1 1/2 hrs but no joy.
pulled the pin and headed for the middle of the firth 26m,pulled in 3 gurnard ,1 good 2 smaller which went back hr later no bitesso pulled the pin for the markers out from waikawau.1st drop got a 40cm snapp in that was it for a coup hrs,heaps of bites but no hook-ups.Pulled the pin and headed to north most mussel farm,sat 200ms of this where a heap of gannets were sitting on the surface some still bombing,looked promising! but no justa few 30cm pannys which went back .
wind chopped up and bites droppred off so we headed to a farm 2 farms down where the missus pulled in 3 better snaps in half a hr and I only 1! My mate didn't catch 1 keepy 5 snaps between 35 -40 and a gurny in the bin we headed back to kaiaua in the crap and was back on the beach at 5pm,still good day out on the water .

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 3:23pm
good report tho,looks like weathers kaka till Tuesday now tho

what was the Asian dude being chased for hahaha

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 3:47pm
I don't know.He parked just opposite me as I was tying the boat down.A police car pulled up behind him and the officer got out and walked up to the car and the Asian dude did a runner.He took off towards Miranda with the police in pursuit.He did a u turn somewhere and came flying back through kaiaua again and almost lost it on that tight bend as you enter the boat ramps and headed towards kawakawa bay.Police were everywhere but don't know whether they got him or not.

-------------

Posted By: Blueboy1969
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 4:02pm
Hey Cosmo - took your advice and joined up. Haven't made it out to Kaiaua at all yet this season. Looks a bit breezy for this weekend. Let us know when you are heading out. Spent last week at Cooks beach pulling in tiddlers with 50 thousand other boats.
 Might see you and the big boy tonite for some rabbit hunting

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 4:06pm
Gottafew,F.Lowry road is just north out of Kaiaua town appox 1 km from domain.its where the next group of houses on the seaward side,google maps it and you can zoom right in .cheers

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 5:39pm
Cheers m8.I think I'll keep launching at kaiaua as I like the facilities.Shame it's not all tide tho..

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 7:06pm
whats the rules plse on kaiaua as far as tidal, have lunch out there quite often and seems rather shallow at the top end of the channel there watching people launch there

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 7:36pm
Yes very shallow.Half to full tide only so you have too get the tides right..

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 10:39pm
skunk.....
i just went straight out. Not north at all. Went nearly to the middle of the firth and dropped anchor. About 5-6m only.....  Big salmon burley doing the business.
I think the time of day helped too.

regarding the ramp...yeah.....half tide or better unles you like launching off the beach bit.

Posted By: 3rnzir
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 6:42am
Any traps for newbies regards the Stevensons quarry ramp at low water.
Have membership,but have not launched from there yet.
Drove down there in Nov for a recce of the ramp.
Nice looking facilities.
Any rocks/banks/low tide hazards to be aware of?
Cheerz

-------------
Peace.Via superior firepower..

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 9:01am
Thanks for that spaceships..yeah was talking to an old seadog over there one day and he said he always goes straight out or south after christmas.

Hey 3rnzir- we have been using the quarry ramp for a couple of years now, havnt com. across any hazards in there apart from lack of water!
Yes i admit to spending 5 hrs on the mud by cutting it too fine on a lowish lowtide.
We will like at least 2hrs from low retrieving or launching for that reason.we keep to the side the barges are on for the best depth.
This is the best info I can give.its an awesome ramp and has been improved by a pontoon on the left side swell..
Good luck when you go.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 9:20am
Thanx for that skunk.
May catch up with you at the ramp when my boat is up and running.
cheerz

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 4:48pm
went out of kaiaua for the first time today 3 hrs before high and till a bit shallow no water at all up the creek there,worked our way north to the mussel farms there and got a couple but put them back certainly seems to be a good spot tho except she cut up quite well out there this afternoon and made for a good trip home hahaha didn't get wet at all tho

-------------

Posted By: Gerrystackle
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 12:09pm
It certainly was a tough day last Thursday - cheers Paul.

A belated report on this; but last Thursday I headed out with Gottafew for the first time in a very long while (Late feb last year for me). I was pretty excited about the prospect of heading out after negotiating a leave pass with the Mrs. It was a beaut morning that's for sure and we launched at Kaiaua. However it wasn't until after midday that we were able to put one in the bin. Things had been very very slow up until that point with only a few undersized fish making the effort to take out baits.

I was gutted at one point when my knot tying abilities let me down and I lost a near new Jitterbug when having a tussle with what felt like a nice fish on my Shimano baitcaster. Poor bugger, I hope it managed to shake the lure loose eventually. I was so deflated by the event I put the baitcaster away.

Conditions were nice and hot, and there were a few gannets around, as well as sign on the sounder. But I guess it was just one of those days when things just didn't really come together. As the day progressed we became plagued by small snapper - many close to 27, but we wanted the 32+ only. So we got good at releasing fish.

But - with six in the bin we had enough for a feed and I have to say my wife and kids really enjoyed their first fresh fish in quite some time. Its always a good day out with Gottafew, so thanks once again mate.

Next stop for me is now Nepal as I travel with some great young people to see the influence our great Sir Ed had on the people of the Khumbu Valley in the Himalayas. Trekking at an altitude higher than Mount Cook is going to be a challenge that's for sure. If you want to know more about it check out this link;

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Greg-Fundraising-for-the-Himalayan-Trust/136108373266292

Cheers all!

G

-------------
Greg

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 8:30am
Kaiaua fri 10th.left quarry at 2.30 ish went south until we were out from road maggots at miranda in 8m of water.
bloody westerly was hustling thru there making a nasty short chop!.Snaps came on the bite when the tide started to run out and berley pumped..good pannies with best going 450ish.
back to ramp at 7:30, first time heading sth this year so was good to get a good feed .

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2014 at 10:34am
Left Kaiaua 7.30 am yesterday,set out to the middle 20ms,got a coup of 35s and a nice gurnard and a big kahawai.Set out a small Kahawai livey but no takers although a couple of legal kings did follow a snapper to the boat!
Pulled the pin and headed to the north most mussel farm off Waikawau and burleyed up for 6 snapper over 35 and a few more 33 ish.Call was made nothing under 35 so every thing else went back.Set out a live jack mack and it got monstered by a 6 ft bronzey on the surface!was awesome to see,line snapped as soon as I put the drag on.
Interesting to see a few sharks cruzing the surface to.Pulled the pin to Kaiaua farms and proceeded to get machine gun bites for the next hour with only 2 small! snapps .The only excitement was the stray lined jack mak screeming off on the 12000d where I put the call out 20kg king as it almost sufaced in a high speed arch around the end of the farms,drag pumped up I bout it to the back of the boat after 10mins....Bloody eagle ray! about 15kgs,released it then shot back to Kaiaua 8 snapps and a gurnard in the bin,still good day on the water!

-------------

Posted By: Blueboy1969
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 11:43am
Cosmo - popped out with a mate to the mussel farm Sat morning (15/2)as discussed. Lucky enough the mussel barge was working as soon as we got there. Tied up beside it. 14 good snaps in the boat in just over an hour. Full on fishing. A lot of fun. Biggest were 45cm most between 35 - 40. Threw heaps of smaller ones back. Went out into the middle and took another hour to catch 1 fish!. Good morning out. Fish for all the neighbours so in the good books with them all. Hope you enjoyed working!!Cry

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 8:23am
Does the Firth fire up in the autumn?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 5:23pm
yes can do like most places just worth giving it a try nothings guaranteed

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 8:28pm
How does this side of the firth fish in a SW?
How is the firth firing this week?
Cheerz

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 10:36pm
going off mint afternoon today got a decent feed all 30 plus and mint weather.straight out 8 metres of water on a incoming

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 8:16pm
1st trip out from the GCG ramp today.
All a learning curve with new boat/electronics etc.
New Garmin chirp sounder had sign at the 17m mark.
Stayed about 3 hours at that mark.
13 snaps over the 30cm size to the bin.
2 x carrots.
2 x bulky KWs.
Very impressed with the anchor drum winch with the free fall mode.
Would highly recommend this style of winch to anyone who is old/weak/solo fisher/crook back etc.
Will certainly extend your fishing years/enjoyment.
Got back to ramp with less than 2hrs to low water.
Would not want to time it any less,water depth wise.
Great ramp and former Franklin District area.
Oh,got in on the last day of 9 snaps for a reccy.
7 tomorrow.
Wash down hose nearly ready to go at the ramp.
Thanx to the guys that gave me a few tips on the ramp/area.
Cheerz cobbers.

-------------

Posted By: Juan night only
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 1:32pm
Anyone know what day the barges work? I remember something about a Wednesday or Friday

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 7:53pm
whats the GGG ramp plse

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 10:42pm
I would like to know as well please...

-------------

Posted By: Dead Ant
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 2:17am
I think he means the Guy C Goss boat club which is a ramp in the Stevensons quarry a few k's north of Kaiaua.  Great ramp but you need to be a member to use it. 
3rnzir - I've used the ramp for the last 20 years and best way to plan to ave enough water is to look at a tide graph and when there is more than 1 metre of water you are ok to launch.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 8:07am
Thanx for the tip Dead Ant.
GGG was typo should be GCG ramp.
Edited update.
Will start to learn the whole mussel farm fishing routine soon.
Floats up high mean mussels have been harvested right?
Know about the Waimangu farm Nth of Kaiaua.
Not so sure about the farms on the Corro side yet.
Are there any particular days/times/tides of the week the mussels are harvested?
Beautiful out there.Vistas of the Corro one side Hunuas the other.
Next job is to find the flight paths for the ducks.
Not many sleeps to Opening Day now.
Cheerz cobbers.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 7:45pm
Spent the day boating with the kids off kaiaua today, ..nice conditions after lunch .lots of sub 30cm snaps around did nt really get on to them.. got a couple of feeds but that is all..interested if others had similar results or if the mojo is just a bit f..kd up!!, hard to report on a tuff day but has to be done cheers

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 8:40pm
good reports guys......great to hear what its like up there at the moment. brings back plenty of memories of great times on the water.......

finally got the spaceship into the southern waters to test hull and motor after the big layoff and relocate. Went great until a collision with a big seal just outside the otago heads.  Talk about another sort of marine hazard that i'm not used to. Got back ok once got motor restarted, sadly didn't look so happy for the seal.

The coastline is amazing down here .......beautiful and awe inspiring, seems a bit like the west coast but on the east coast. gotta treat it with some serious respect.

Posted By: katolad
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 12:55pm
Hey guys, has any one been out of kaiaua lately? Hows the fishing going up there? Conditions look good for tomorrow & the wife has given me a day off from nappys and said go out and enjoy a day on the water. I know she would want to be out there too, but our wee girl at 3 weeks old requires her to stay home this time. So I might take my father and father in law out instead. Just hope we can get onto a few nice fish so we can take home a feed for dinner.

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 8:14pm
Went for a fish out in the firth from kaiaua today.heaps of ky out in the middle ground and a few snapper under them.Best snapper around the 2kg mark , not bigbut they are getting in real nice nick..the ky were slabby in comparison.great day to be out on the water..

-------------

Date Posted: 11 May 2014 at 4:00am
Middle ground yesterday.
2.5 hours kept 9 snappers from 32-36cms .
Amongst 3 anglers.
Lucanas rigs did the damage.
Light southerly wind and smallish tides probably made fishing hard.
Nice for drifting though.
So no complaints from me.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 May 2014 at 8:12pm
Nice you got a feed 3rnzir..last time out we did well on a kabura drifting out in the middle.cool fun

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 8:54am
Went out from the quarry ramp to the 12 meter mark.
1st drift 09:30.
Was not expecting much to be fair.
Southerly wind,a little lumpy.
Well,we ended up smashing the fish (schnapper).
Inchinkus only x 3 fishers.
Including a PB for me of 54cms for the Firth,so far.
Most fish in the 35-38cm range.
3 x snapper limits by 11:00
Plus 3 x nice KY.
Boat on trailer by 12:15
Brilliant day.
Pink skirt,white orange Inchinku did the bushiness(as in that colour out fished the other inchinku combos)
5 x families/households had fresh fish delivered to them yesterday.
One never knows how it will go till one drops a line in.
All fish in good nick and very scrappy to play on the rod.
Cheerz

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 4:44pm
Thats what you call SMASHING them over 3rnzir!.
Wicked fishing in anyones language

-------------

Posted By: Drakar1
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 11:04am
I too had the same experience on Sat. Figured with the SE wind that it would be quiet. However - launched out of old quarry and out to the 20m mark. If you could get through the schools of Kawahai - plenty of snaps on the bottom. Was non stop action. Cant beat the jitterbugs. All snapper the usual firth size 32-40. Well done 3rnzir on the PB for the Firth.
Just shared the smoked kawahai with work for morning tea - gone straight away!
Cant wait to get back out.

Posted By: Brimel
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 12:05pm
Hi
Not quite kaiaua!, but a quick post, the old boy got a 20lb snap in Omaru Bay (5 mins north of Coro town) mussel lines on Saturday, on Squidgy Softbail, not the best photo, measured 83cms.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 2:28pm
That's real good going aswell Drakar1, sounds like all feeding up out in the firth...nice oneThumbs Up

Crikey Brimel, that's a stunner to pull out of the farms..always wondered about the ones that were not stoppable.. now I have a clue!
Congrats to that Fulla , real well doneCool

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 4:07pm
How much longer will the snapper stay in the Firth for,do you think?
As in,what is the water temp trigger point to send them out to the deeper water?
Is the gurnard fishing OK in the winter?
Cheerz

-------------

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Brimel Brimel wrote:

Hi
Not quite kaiaua!, but a quick post, the old boy got a 20lb snap in Omaru Bay (5 mins north of Coro town) mussel lines on Saturday, on Squidgy Softbail, not the best photo, measured 83cms.

Top fish there Brim's Dad!Clap

Was it full off mussels?

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by 3rnzir 3rnzir wrote:

As in,what is the water temp trigger point to send them out to the deeper water?
Cheerz

hey 3rnzir,
I am pretty naff at keeping decent records but you can pretty much catch snaps all year round in the firth.
sure they may get slow and not bite hard and for very long but put in the effort maybe sb's or ya jigs over any bits of sign out there will do the trick..and good chsnce you might snag a jd or carrot.
hey its good too get out anyway!
here is report from last july

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/firth-not-skunked_topic92912_post1328278.html?KW=#1328278

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 9:47pm
Dragging softbaits seems to be a good way to target the gurnard in the firth.
The firth fishes well all year , you just have your good and bad days.I usually head further up the coast this time of year and fish alot closer to shore.

Omaru bay farms are an awesome spot , bush billy has posted some reports of some great fishing in that area in the past.

well done on the 20lber , beauty snapThumbs Up

Posted By: Brimel
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 10:02am
Yes full of mussels, old boy said his teeth were pretty much gone!

He always fishes on a line with no droppers, so was probably (on light softbait gear) the only way he would have got it.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 6:11am
Another great weekend in the Firth, plenty of kahawai and snapps still about. Water temp still at 13 degrees. Shot up to the mussel farm as the barge was working and watched some nice fish come aboard the 3 or 4 boats sitting in there. Popped out to the 15m mark and proceeded to bring up some fat healthy snapper. Equalled my pb for the firth with 2 at 63cm.
Get out and enjoy while the fishing is hot.
All fish had stomachs loaded with anchovies or pilchards.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 9:56am
yeehaa...nice report Drakar!- sounds like its going real good out that way.
Typical when Im finding it hard to get outUnhappy
Thanks for report..(I think!)

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 4:03pm
63cms Drakar1.
Gives me something to try and beat.
Good job cobber.
You using bait or lures?
Cheerz

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2014 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by 3rnzir 3rnzir wrote:

Cheerz

Last winter I found fishing in the firth pretty good. In some ways better than the summer as less of the smaller fish around.  I tended to fish either a bit deeper or right in close to some foul. Usually fished there once a week or sometimes more and it was good right through.
Can't tell you about this year as i am no longer in the area but from reading through various threads on here seems pretty good.
Good luck.

As for gurnard......did catch a few but if you want better ones hit the manukau or anywhere on the west coast.

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 6:57am
3rnzir,
Just using lures - so much easier and cleaner.
Last year my 63 was on a softbait in about 5m of water near the mussel farm.
I'll try to report each time I go out and post the temp - so a bit of a record can be kept.
Cheers

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2014 at 7:51pm
Anyone been out today?
Plan on heading out tomorrow and possibly Monday.
Will post a FR (Fishing Report) all going well.
Cheerz

-------------

Posted By: Couta
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2014 at 3:08pm
Launched at Guy C Goss ramp at 7.15 yesterday and shot up to the farms to have a look around and decide what to do. The wind was up around 12 to 15 knts and a bit lumpy so softbaiting was out. The wind was with the tide so hooked up between the ropes with 2 hooks and had a perfect line for the burley and a strayline. Colin was down first and hooked up before i even had my line in the water a nice fish about 3 pound. A steady flow of fish came aboard for the next 2 hrs and we had our limit for the 3 of us. Biggest was 9lb with 3 around 5 or 6lb and the rest 34 to 40cm. Plenty of fish put back between 30 and 34cm we all had a ball a great days winter fishing. Got back to the ramp at 11.30 just before we ran out of water to get up the creek, stopped and had a cofee at kaiawa and home by 2pm, perfect day.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2014 at 4:12pm
Good stuff couta!Thats good going to get out before low tide also.
Neat to know still fishing good..
where do you find is the best coffee up there?

-------------

Posted By: worksux
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2014 at 5:13pm
We went early from Waikawau this morning, Went out to the farms off Kerata. Heap of burley but only managed  2 keeper snapper in 4hrs. Went out past the farms and got a couple of KY.
Came back to the ramp 1 1/2hr before low but still had to push the boat up the creek.  Clogged up with debris from last weeks storm. 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2014 at 7:42pm
we have had to push the boat 2hrs from low ever since the last cyclone. Even after they dredged we still had to get out at the red pole and push around the corner. Used to be able to come in at dead low.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 6:50am
Took the kids out for a fish on Sat. Left GC Goss at about 11:30 - Couta, must have seen you leaving as we headed out, and gave the kids a good intro to Kahawai fishing. Tide very low and just made it out. Not so many snapper about (kept 3 from 35-40), but must admit didn't concentrate to much on that - was assisting the kids too much. Just followed the terns and sooties. Fish still full of anchovies. Fishing in 10-15m of water just off the mussel farm. Water temp still around the 12-13 degrees.

Posted By: worksux
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 7:09am
Always good for the kids, Water temp seem very cold where you are Drakar, We didn't get below 15.4 the whole day yesterday.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 1:06pm
Yep - very interesting as I have spoken to a few others whom have 2 temp gauges on board. They stated one was reading 14 and one at 17. So must admit my isn't calibrated.
Mine is reading hole degree - don't have one to 1 or 2 dp. Plus its just a cheap fish finder. Waiting for the misses to buy me a new one for my Bday? Fingers crossed......

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 9:58pm
Yes  Drakar1 was watching you heading out digging another chanel at the entrance with your prop sure couldn't have been any later was a real low tide on saturday.
One of my mates got stuck at the entrance going out, they had to sit it out for 4 hrs for tide to go out and back in LOL
My temp reading was 12.5 so same as you, interesting?
Caught our snaps in the farms so must have lucked onto the spot, your kids were full of excitement leaving the ramp they couldn't wait to get out there was great to see, glad you had a good day.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 10:04pm
Yes  Drakar1 was watching you heading out digging another chanel at the entrance with your prop sure couldn't have been any later was a real low tide on saturday.
One of my mates got stuck at the entrance going out, they had to sit it out for 4 hrs for tide to go out and back in LOL
My temp reading was 12.5 so same as you, interesting?
Caught our snaps in the farms so must have lucked onto the spot, your kids were full of excitement leaving the ramp they couldn't wait to get out there was great to see, glad you had a good day.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 7:40am
Out from the GCG ramp at 09:15 back at 12:15.
Not as much sign around compared to last week.
Inchiku and SPs,
Fished from 12-20 meter depths.
8 X nice KY
2 X barely legal snapper.
No sign of those 20Knot winds when we where out there,so timed it well.
Few big logs along the current lines.
Pilles and anchovies in KY bellies as well.
Try again next week.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 8:47am
After a great venture up North (fishing was ok - few kings, plenty snapper, trevs, etc) last weekend I was back to the Firth.
Left GCG at approx. 6am - noticed mussel barge was out so up to the farm.
Pulled up to find them not harvesting. Bugger.
So moved and started in shallows - approx. 5-7m and proceeded to enjoy a couple of hours on sofies (Lime tiger lizards doing the business). Almost every cast resulting in a fish.
This slowed as sun came over the hills and headed out to find the birds in deeper water.
Still lots of kahawai and snaps below.
Water temp at 11.4.
Great morning out.
Back at ramp at 11 with 3 snapper kept. 40-45cm. Could have had my limit after 1st hour.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 6:10pm
Sounds like plenty of fun still to be had up that way Drakar1.
I will be heading over there this weekend weather permitting thanks for the report

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 9:13pm
Nice report Drakar.. did you look around for any sign for ya softys , or just prospect an area?
yeah couta, might see you up there on weekend

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 2:54pm
Skunk, was just playing in an area that usually produces for me.
Little bit of sign showing on my cheap sounder.
If you and Couta out this weekend - might try and catch up?

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 6:38pm
Yeah sounds good Drakar, looks like we heading up sat morning..fingers crossed weather not too crappy, been hanging out to wet a line!

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 7:26pm
Up and out of GCG this morning didnt have too long a wait after low tide to be able to "push" on out..
Drakar was up and at em already and gave us the tip where to head after a bit of a look around..thanks Drakar mate , thats a great thing about this forum, guys willing to share info etc
.Got some nice pannys on softbaits in 5m to 9m, best 52cm.crikey he was a bull , pulled some serious string!
went quiet as the sun shone so parked up in the farm and broke out the b n berley last couple hrs of incoming.
Turned out to be busy little sesh, all the secret weapons came out .
sweet day out there doing it, flat calm and surprisingly warm for july and some nice fish in the bin.
great to meet you Drakar1..cheers.

-------------

Posted By: sinful
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 9:59pm

Shot out late this afternoon to Kaiaua mussel farm and burleyed up big time.......landed some nice fish with the outgoing tide ........then a redish tinged tide flooded the entire area ......fish disappeared !

Anyone have an idea as to what this was ..........

-------------
“There is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted
armed men, and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”
- Hemingway.

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 7:02am
Skunk,
Great to see you guys had a successful mission. Don't show everyone my spot.
It would appear that thing are getting quieter out deeper as I see the longliners have been working these areas for the last few weeks.
I only kept two fish - one at 42 and 52cm. Plenty to be had from 30-40cm, however I tend to let these go.
Stunning day out there - water temp at 13.4.
Hope to catch up with ya again on the water.
I didn't see any of this reddish tinge you are talking about sinful as I was back at the ramp at 11am. Could be krill or algae?

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 12:03pm
Yes Sinful, we did notice a red tinge to the water on our way back to the ramp, could have been krill as a lot of bait and birds in the area..some of our snaps spewed up krill kinda stuff like mini shrimps aye.

Yeah Drakar those 40cm+ ones are ideal alright.. and I don't know what spot you are talking aboutWink ..you made us wear blindfolds remember!... have done good a tad further north of there also.
It does seem quieter out deeper now, I agree.Will keep in touch next time were out.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 6:28pm
Awesome weather sunday , shot up to Te Kouma had a hard day with only 7 + 1 carrot.2 Boats i know of went to waikawau and did very well including one 20lber while fishing near a working mussel barge.

Sounds like they still in the shallows , so no need to travel far at the moment.

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 5:18pm
Looks like a few days of awesome weather coming up, whos going out? looks like a monday fish is on the cards for me, and maybe tuesday :)

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 3:53pm
Hit Kaiaua at 7am this morn,time to blood my new (2nd hand) dinghy!
Left f.lowry road into a flat sea just as swell map predicted!
Sat about 2k out and pulled in 10 snaps between 34 and 42 cms ,left Kaiaua at 11am and home by 12!mean half day mish and plenty for a coup feeds!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 3:57pm

-------------

Posted By: kaveman
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 4:02pm
Nice ramcoed, just wish it was as flat as that over on the east coast, over 4m seas all weekThumbs Down

-------------
www.kavemantackle.co.nz

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 5:36pm
Sweet Ramcoed, looked like it would have been nice out there..were there many other boats out.?

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 7:01pm
kaveman,i see whangas been big!,heading over there this Friday coming for a long weekend,hoping for some kingi action,seen some biggies on the dogger last weekend!
Skunk ,there were 3 other dingys around us and I bigger boat out from the wreck and another from kaiaua ramp but he didn't stick around long high tide being 7am most likely.Just bout this 12 ft dinghy for harbour and firth fishing rather than my fishmaster,back to basics haha

-------------

Posted By: Reel Deal
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 12:36pm
Hey Kaveman -I see Shauny landed himself a 17pounder snap out of whanga. Great effort!

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Posted By: Snappa Geoff
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 8:24pm
First catch in the Dinghy Boys looks better than when you fish the 6 metre boat there! Shot.

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 7:00pm
Hitting Kaiaua early 2moro morn,meant to be chilli!any 1 else?just takn the dinghy tt3(tiny tinny three)

-------------

Print Page | Close Window