Print Page | Close Window

fluorocarbon

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Soft Bait Fishing
Forum Description: Anything to do with this latest and greatest way of catching our favourite species
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=91042
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 8:24pm

Topic: fluorocarbon
Posted By: sappercatcha
Subject: fluorocarbon
Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 5:01pm

I'm using black magic at the mo (30lb) I'm finding it quite stiff and hard to tie knots in line joiners are the hardest

is there a brand that has got better flexibility?? or should i go to 20lb I'm running 14lb braid so 20lb leader may be a bit light??

Replies:
Posted By: Starnsy
Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 5:05pm
For what application would be a good start Thumbs Up

Softs prefer light - 15lb Yo-Zuri
Inchiku bump up a little - 30lb Yo-Zuri

What joining knot are you using? 
Assume its something with a double in the leader?

Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 6:06pm
both soft baits and straylineing dead baits
even dropper rigs
my soft bait gear gets used for all sorts as i love it so much
as far as knots go ether an albright knot or back to back uni depending on what i feel like doing at the time

Posted By: Kandrew
Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 6:15pm
Nothing wrong with blackmagic been using 20lb for years. 30lb is a bit thick, what knott you using I'll show you how to tie the knott I use at the next oasis fishing club meeting.

Posted By: captain.Gav.
Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by sappercatcha sappercatcha wrote:

I'm using black magic at the mo (30lb) I'm finding it quite stiff and hard to tie knots in line joiners are the hardest

is there a brand that has got better flexibility?? or should i go to 20lb I'm running 14lb braid so 20lb leader may be a bit light??

I dont do softbaiting, but totally agree that the blackmagic fluoro is hard to tie and seems to 'fray' more than others once pulled tight, even when wetting the knot before tightening.
Do lots of straylining with fluoro leaders and have found yo-zuri and vanish two of the better brands for tying in the lower poundage lines.

Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by captain.Gav. captain.Gav. wrote:

I dont do softbaiting, but totally agree that the blackmagic fluoro is hard to tie and seems to 'fray' more than others once pulled tight, even when wetting the knot before tightening.
Do lots of straylining with fluoro leaders and have found yo-zuri and vanish two of the better brands for tying in the lower poundage lines.
yep it frays bad ive had to tie knots 2-3 times to get one that id be happy if i hooked up on a monster snap

Posted By: DIY!
Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 7:46pm
vanish, seagar are good ones flexible and strong.  I have been using a vanishing pink and rate it highly

-------------
http://www.actionstations.co.nz

Berkley 2009 and 2010 S/B champ

Date Posted: 19 May 2013 at 7:50pm

Originally posted by captain.Gav. captain.Gav. wrote:

yep it frays bad ive had to tie knots 2-3 times to get one that id be happy if i hooked up on a monster snap
Same, in fact i used to tie some deep water 'stand-out dropper knot rigs' with it but found they busted under pressure. So went away from using such a well known brand. The supple trace is heaps easier to use but way prefer to fish with fluoro leaders and traces, especially when playing a good snap whos chomping on it.  Fluoro is harder to tie knots but try some other brands mentioned and i think youll be far happier.

Posted By: AndyK-22
Date Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:21pm
Yo-zuri and Ocean Angler Fluoro..... 

Both are nice and soft. Very easy to tie with. 

I wouldn't go over 25lb personally. 

Posted By: shaneg
Date Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:43pm
Black magic 30 lb for me. 
Been pretty reliable on big snaps and few good kings to almost 20kg.  Use 8lb pioneer braid mostly, have a few reels with slightly heavier braid to 10kg, but knot strength not a problem -short double -spider hitch and no name knot (similar to albright) into double with a bit of spit.
20lb flouro is ok for smaller fish but you want to go heavier on big fish in shallow foul as they will bounce off a few rocks and occassionally get stuck in kelp.

Date Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:49pm
I would trust my 15lb Yo-Zuri rubbing against rocks more than I would trust 30lb Black Magic....

Date Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:55pm
Yep, way prefer Yo-Zuri, vanish or suffix  Fluoros  over  Blackmagic fluoro.
Let the voting begin..........

Date Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:55pm
where can i get this Yo-zuri stuff no one has it listed of there website ie topcatch marine deals etc etc

Posted By: shaneg
Date Posted: 21 May 2013 at 9:02pm
really....SmileLOL ... these puffers fight like demons, they'd smoke ya on 15-20lb yozuri

Posted By: Catchit
Date Posted: 21 May 2013 at 9:02pm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchString=Yo-zuri&rptpath=all&type=Search&searchType=all" rel="nofollow - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchString=Yo-zuri&rptpath=all&type=Search&searchType=all

-------------
"We gave Sir Peter a knighthood," Mr Key said, "And if we could give him a second one, we would."

Date Posted: 21 May 2013 at 9:08pm
Get mine from Greg at GoFish... In Northcote

Posted By: Rob Optimist
Date Posted: 21 May 2013 at 9:15pm
How do you find the stren fc
Or the new ocean angler?

-------------
               "attitude is everything"

Posted By: PDSquid
Date Posted: 22 May 2013 at 7:47pm
used 15lb stren and thought it was ok, quite stiff but got used to it

-------------
gunjack all the teke

Posted By: OffTheHook
Date Posted: 22 May 2013 at 8:59pm
Yozuri 

Posted By: 1Daz
Date Posted: 22 May 2013 at 9:41pm
I've also been using black magic for years, (It's such good value for money)  but recently tried the ocean angler and I rate it. Ocean angler is more supple, more flexible, and its thinner than black magic fluro and still good value compared to other brands.
Pretty sure i've seen Yo-zuri on the shelf at FCO.

-------------
Go the Warriors!

Posted By: Mahiman
Date Posted: 22 May 2013 at 9:59pm
Hey sappacatcher pm me your address and I will send you a spool of ocean angler fluro to try outt

Date Posted: 23 May 2013 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Mahiman Mahiman wrote:

Hey sappacatcher pm me your address and I will send you a spool of ocean angler fluro to try outt

oh you the man you dont have to do thatClapClap
will pm my address now

Posted By: jackel
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 5:41pm
Hi guys, what about DUEL Fluorocarbon? I have heard its even better than Yo-Zurri. I haven't used fluorocarbon for my snapper/inshore species just for Jigging for kingfish (120lb) so I dont know where to start. Can anyone comment on this? I'm looking at getting some 30lb DUEL. 

Posted By: Potty
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by jackel jackel wrote:

Hi guys, what about DUEL Fluorocarbon? I have heard its even better than Yo-Zurri. I haven't used fluorocarbon for my snapper/inshore species just for Jigging for kingfish (120lb) so I dont know where to start. Can anyone comment on this? I'm looking at getting some 30lb DUEL. 

I use the 20lb & 25lb for my softbaiting.
Outstanding performance and hasn't let me down.
The only downside is my local tackle store is taking it off the shelf. Seems cheap is what sells with softbaiting.
Actually ran out of my last duel yesterday and had to use some 20lb black magic, just not the same. 
Keen to know who's stocking the 20lb Duel. 

-------------
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash. http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: DIY!
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 7:35pm
Duel... better than Yo-Zuri that sounds really good. keen to get some too. anyone?

-------------
http://www.actionstations.co.nz

Berkley 2009 and 2010 S/B champ

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 7:38pm
is it tinted? if not ill stick with the pink hd carbon..

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: PJay
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 7:45pm
I try everything new as it comes along, and keep on going back to Black Magic for value: 20lb for out in the open, 30lb for in the foul, in each case on 10lb Tufline XP.

You need to practice the knots you use with your own combination of braid and leader, and try different knots that suit you and the lines.  This takes time, effort and failed experimentation before you get something you trust.  So that may be why I keep going back to BM.

Everyone has their own style and territory, so saying "This is the best" just by itself doesn't answer any questions at all.

That having been said, there are some fluoros that I find so inconsistent that I won't even try them any more.

-------------
PJ

Posted By: jackel
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 8:46pm
Thanks for the feedback guys, I have just re-read the packaging in the add for the Duel and its actually Yo-Zuri Duel, sorry if I mislead anyone. Its clear by the way, not tinted. 

Posted By: YeeHaa
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 10:20pm
http://yeehaa.co.nz/index.php?route=product/category&path=15_84" rel="nofollow - http://yeehaa.co.nz/index.php?route=product/category&path=15_84

we stock large range of duel carbon leaders. they are simply the best softbait carbon leaders on the market. Yes they are better than Yo-zuri range. we also stock Yo-zuri as well as other brands carbon leaders.

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Posted By: gmacx
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 10:33pm
any review on hooker tackle fluro? specifically 10lb?

Posted By: Jet_ski_fisher
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 11:02pm
yeeHaa just had a look at  that product. they all say 16lb :)  i like the 100lb good for kings

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 9:09pm
What is everyone using in 2018? I’ve just bought some pink Momoi 20lb. Pretty bloody thin. I’ll test it out this weekend, well at least get it wet.......

-------------
Go the Warriors!

Posted By: The Tamure Kid
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 9:33pm
It's interesting that your impression is thin - I'm not sure how accurate the measurements are (probably not that accurate, given Paulus' research into the stated vs actual diameter of braids), but the 20lb pink Momoi on Marine Deals is the same diameter as Black Magic 20lb, according to the spool - both 0.40mm.
They are both supposedly 0.05mm thinner than Vanish - which I guess is so close to be irrelevant.
My perception is that, like braid, the Japanese fluorocarbon brands lead the market in terms of technology. I think thinner means better action for the jighead, and probably more hits, so I use 15lb over sand/mud and never try to pull a decent fish in the boat without a net. But I up the diameter if anywhere near rocky terrain.

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 9:33pm
Nothings changed I’m still using duel.
30 pd duel delt to this beastie last weekend.

-------------
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash. http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Potty Potty wrote:

Nothings changed I’m still using duel.
30 pd duel delt to this beastie last weekend.

Awesome fish, Potty. Can you give us the model of Duel - if it's like the other Japanese companies, they probably put out half a dozen different types of fluorocarbon with very similar names!

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

It's interesting that your impression is thin - I'm not sure how accurate the measurements are (probably not that accurate, given Paulus' research into the stated vs actual diameter of braids), but the 20lb pink Momoi on Marine Deals is the same diameter as Black Magic 20lb, according to the spool - both 0.40mm.
They are both supposedly 0.05mm thinner than Vanish - which I guess is so close to be irrelevant.
My perception is that, like braid, the Japanese fluorocarbon brands lead the market in terms of technology. I think thinner means better action for the jighead, and probably more hits, so I use 15lb over sand/mud and never try to pull a decent fish in the boat without a net. But I up the diameter if anywhere near rocky terrain.

It’s thinner than 20lb Vanish which is again thinner than 20lb black magic.

-------------
Go the Warriors!

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 7:49am
Tamure Kid, Yeehaa stock it

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 9:54am
Much appreciated, Potty.

Posted By: viscount
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 3:44am
I use the blue label suffix and range in lb from 8-30 depending on the ground never been busted off but have been bitten of from snapper.

-------------
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery

Print Page | Close Window