Print Page | Close Window

4kg considerations

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Light Tackle
Forum Description: Skinny string discussion here....
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=89030
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 4:44pm

Topic: 4kg considerations
Posted By: Moocha
Subject: 4kg considerations
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 6:42pm
Looking for a project this year to have a bit of fun with next year  nationals  in mind and I thinking after having a blast and a few tears on rat kingies on 3 kg that 4kg may be the go with a dedicated set.

A few questions with where to start.

I am thinking I will go down the over hear route (something about bail arms and a extra complication read another thing for me to stuff up), not sure on reels  yet but like to hear what people are using currently to target Snaps, Kings, Albies and the odd Shark (Not marlin LOL).

A question are duel drags of any benefit in this line class or do they feature more in the bigger line classes (up to 10kg).

What brand IGFA line ?

Rods what should I be looking for in a rod- loading, length, configuration (rollers, Sic, spiral or conventional)

And what connections at the sharp end are people using ?

Replies:
Posted By: Bigfishbob
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 7:26pm
Said it before I'll say it again,I have used a Daiwa SL20 for a few years now and am firmly convinced it's all you need. The rod is a Calstar GFX7 that I built myself, if I was doing it again I'd build a Calstar 700 xl instead, I think the GFX7 is too light, but will try it on 3kg over the next few days and see how it goes.

There's bound to be something in the CTS stable that equally as good.

Alternately shop around for a decent action rod that bends progressively through out it's top 2/3rds with decent guides. You don't need silicone carbide guides. My current one has Alps guides and they seem fine.

Rollers, even those small aftco ones are a liability.If you're chasing bigger tuna or Marlin, or even prolonged fights with sharks, you might be wanting somehing slicker, but kingies, Albacore and skippies  ceramic guides are your best bet.

Hope that helps.

-------------
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz

Posted By: Keith C
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 9:02pm
As far as reels go, if you can find a TLD5, I can recommend that for both 3 or 4 kg mono. I used mine for many years in competitive light tackle comps and their drags (lever) were excellent for that environment. Kingis, sharks, big mulloway/jewfish and plenty of couta. They are now probably almost 20 years old and still work flawlessly (thanks to a good service from Jeff Murray when needed). 
We used Double X and Triple Fish IGFA mono in both 3 & 4 kg and they were testing consistently and close to specified limit. Provided the drag is good, your knots become your weak point if you aren't burnt or rubbed off. I always used double leader and trace as close to the maximum permissible IGFA length. Like BigFishBob, we fished ceramic guides.

Don't know the current IGFA rules but for any record fish then you needed to supply the double/leader etc with the fish at the scales. So if you caught a possible record, you remove the whole end bit including some mainline, stored it for weigh-in and re-rigged.

My 20+ year-old babies

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 10:23am
Some good info there I have an SL20SH (needs a service though)  that will have 6kg on it and I am thinking I will assign it to a CD Albagraph 6-8kg rod which has only been used an hand full of times.

I like the sounds of a lever drag and knowing exactly what  the drag is set at during the fight  -Panga's  idea of a Tynos 8 (or 10) sounds like a possible contenders or maybe a small Accurate TLD5 maybe and option Keith but they are rare as Hens teeth now days.  I do have a SA15  in the cupboard as well which could be spooled up as a reserve.

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 10:37am

Reels - If only interested in overheads then lever drag is the only way to go, you know what drag you have all the time. I use Shimano TR1000's awesome drags (I played a YFT about 35-40 kg on 6 kg on one of these for over 3 hours with about 3 kg of drag before finally busting off through impatience on my part (fish was within 10-20m of the boat for 2 hours and I just couldn't get it that last bit). The drag worked perfectly the whole time. Another option worth considering is a Shimano Tynos 8 single or 2 speed (don't think you actually need a 2 speed) they have fantastic drags as well.

Rods - if just chasing snapper, kingies etc don't need rollers, good ceramics is all you need - I have Offshore rods. In most cases rather than muying a 4kg rod I would buy a 6 kg rod, my personal feeling is most rods are overated, I quite like a stiffer rod which has some guts down deep, it is amazing how much weight you can put on a fish with 4 kg line if you want to. Get stuck on the bottom and try and break the line with the rod, amazing how hard it is to do it.

Line - I do not have a preference as long as it is a well known brand of IGFA rated line.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Blue Asparagus
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 10:47am
have to agree re the sl20, have a number off them, you saw what we got on it mate so well worth the effort to get it serviced and add a bit of spice,
You saw what happened with that rollered rod when the line went inside the roller.
Sure you can use rollers but lots of maintenance and again look at the results and fun we had with what we were using.
I am going to do the kingi comp up here which is all light tackle stuff so will be interesting fishing and I will spool a tld 15 with 10 as the heavy set 

-------------
Ultimate GAME Fishing Adventures. Northland

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 11:15am
Yup the little SL20's punch well above their weight thats for sure, I will get the full service ( and maybe even learn to cast it properly to Embarrassed).

Seems like as you confirmed rollers maybe a no go from a practicality sense and yup that was a bit touch and go when the line dropped inside it.

I think next year may be very interesting indeed, I'll bring up spare spools of line and extra tissues for the tears LOL

Posted By: Grunta
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 11:16am
Overhead LD has the advantage of being able to adjust the drag accurately throughout the fight and with lighter line it's critical when you need to be putting maximum pressure on the fish at times (say 2/3 the lineweight for instance) and backing off quickly when it runs.

Key is to make sure you know where each setting is on your reel and fish it to much higher limits than you normally might.

More http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=88799&PID=1272588#1272588" rel="nofollow - [here] about what set-up I use.

-------------
Online...

Posted By: mozz
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 2:04pm
We use TLD20's for all our light line stuff from 2-6kg. The spools are half filled super tight with 50lb mono then taped off with electrical tape and filled with the light line over the top. The 4 reels we use have had the drags worked on my a shop in florida but. Even at 3.6:1 with the larger spool we can still get a lot of line back and have super smooth drags.

Posted By: Keith C
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 3:14pm
Moocha, you can also use a shimano 1000 with the level wind removed (in place of tld5).

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 3:31pm
Thats not a bad idea Keith and cost effective as well - the TR 1000 LD is around the $200 mark give or take I think.

Here is an http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/kids-light-tackle-kit_topic10298.html" rel="nofollow - old thread which also gives them  and the TLD5 good marks.

Posted By: reeldeal
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 6:01pm
I would have a look at Avet, They have 4 reels in that class, SXJ 350yds of 4kg, SX 450yds of 4kg, MXJ 500yds of 4kg, MXL 600yds 4kg, all with max drag of 14lbs, and all in single or 2 speed, all lever drag. Also there is a south florida drag arm for using lighter line weights, giving you finer adjustment through the drag curve, great for light line tournament fish. Its a less aggressive cam. 
SXJ is the size of the Trini 10

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 6:12pm
I have an Abu Ambassadeur 6500 C3CT Elite that would be a wee beaut 4kg outfit, been tweaked from SwordfishSteve to be like a swiss watchApprove
Used to be a UK long distance casting reel, reckon it would be a cracker on 3-4-6kg.Thumbs Up

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by reeldeal reeldeal wrote:

I would have a look at Avet, They have 4 reels in that class, SXJ 350yds of 4kg, SX 450yds of 4kg, MXJ 500yds of 4kg, MXL 600yds 4kg, all with max drag of 14lbs, and all in single or 2 speed, all lever drag. Also there is a south florida drag arm for using lighter line weights, giving you finer adjustment through the drag curve, great for light line tournament fish. Its a less aggressive cam. 

That sounds promising Cam, for chasing fish game (short of Marlin) on 4kg what are the thoughts on comfortably required line capacity ? like the sound of that South Florida drag cam, is it an audiable click adjustment ?

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 7:20am
Originally posted by Moocha Moocha wrote:

That sounds promising Cam, for chasing fish game (short of Marlin) on 4kg what are the thoughts on comfortably required line capacity ? like the sound of that South Florida drag cam, is it an audiable click adjustment ?

Hi Mark,
The drag is not audiable, the only audiable are is on the Avet raptor seires,

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2013 at 9:26am

I thought i would add some dimensions, for the Avet SX and MX series so you guys have an idea of the reel sizes

SXJ Reel Diametre 6.0cm Spool Width 2.85cm
SX Reel Diametre 6.0cm Spool Width 3.8cm
MXJ Reel Diametre 6.98cm Spool Width 3.65cm
MXL Reel Diametre 6.98cm Spool Width 4.76cm
Left to right SXJ, SX, MXJ, MXL
Left to right SXJ, SX, MXJ, MXL

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 10:54am
had a little Avet MX turn up today in the mail, thanks Cam, will give it a good turn as soon as possible.

A stunning little reel with no fiddly bits, I like that in a reel.

-------------

Posted By: Bigfishbob
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 12:24am
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

I have an Abu Ambassadeur 6500 C3CT Elite that would be a wee beaut 4kg outfit, been tweaked from SwordfishSteve to be like a swiss watchApprove
Used to be a UK long distance casting reel, reckon it would be a cracker on 3-4-6kg.Thumbs Up
Yup that's what I used for about 20 years before I got the Daiwa SL20. I reason I Stopped using it was because it ended up at the bottom of the parengarenga harbour. I think I put some Smoooooth drag washers in it once but it was a great little reel for the light tackle.

-------------
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 12:06pm
well I have decided to fit the AVET MXJ up to an Ugly stick I have it is a custom built job and has a beautiful action for light stiff, the reel is fitted with light braid so that will be a bit of fun, as soon as the weather settles I will go and play silly buggers.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 12:42pm
That sounds like a demon wee set up mate, snazzy wee reels to... I think the 'oursies' concept may have been revived LOLThumbs Up

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2013 at 12:54pm
oursies **** me but just for you I have acquired another which will turn up next week I am hoping, what is good mate is these reels dont break the bank, I hear tobze has been using them and hooked bloody marlin on the MX lol you have to be keen bloody awesome

-------------

Posted By: dirtyharry
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 9:01pm

That sounds like a demon wee set up mate, snazzy wee reels to... I think the 'oursies' concept may have been revived LOLThumbs Up

Hey Mooch I'll let you know how the "oursie" goes at easter Wink  Will probably put it up against my Ducro 10 running 4kg with the new offshore rod Thumbs Up

-------------
I waste most of my money on fishing tackle. The rest I invest in women and booze.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 8:22am
Nice one mate- what stick did you get in the end ?

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 8:33pm
Offshore Elite Pro 4-6kg, 6'6" long, looks like a sweet wee rod.  No Doubt (hint hint) I will give it a workout on those far north snaps and kings this weekend and see how it performs Thumbs Up  Keep your phone handy for updates Beer

Khumfassa Out

-------------
I waste most of my money on fishing tackle. The rest I invest in women and booze.

Date Posted: 15 May 2013 at 11:03am

Hi Mark,
The drag is not audiable, the only audiable are is on the Avet raptor seires,

Hey Cam is there a compairable size in the Raptor series ?

Date Posted: 15 May 2013 at 11:45am
RAPTORS next year maybe 30lb braid and lots of fun

-------------

Posted By: Twocan
Date Posted: 15 May 2013 at 11:47am
Also just a quick note put 600m Black Magic IGFA 4kg onto my MXJ and there is heaps of room left on the spool.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2013 at 12:02pm
What diameter is that Twocan ?

Date Posted: 15 May 2013 at 12:04pm

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2013 at 12:18pm
Photos of the new setup?

Date Posted: 15 May 2013 at 12:38pm

Photos of the new setup?

MXJ 5.8 MC on a CD Albagraph 4-6kg. It has florida drag arm fitted with reduces the drag range for light tackle but the standard one I have for it is also camo.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2013 at 12:41pm
nice mate, looks like we will have Avets for Africa at the comp Team Avet?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2013 at 12:44pm
We sure will boss! Given the shine the Dirty harry took to your other Avets at Easter I think he will be trying to call oursies pretty quickly!

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2013 at 1:20pm
That is rather sharp, has it been used in anger yet Twocan Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 15 May 2013 at 1:25pm
Nah not yet was supposed to but had trip canne due to weather..

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2013 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Twocan Twocan wrote:

We sure will boss! Given the shine the Dirty harry took to your other Avets at Easter I think he will be trying to call oursies pretty quickly!

Sam you have become a tackle ho' of the highest order and I will be calling oursies on ya avet if my little baitrunner doesn't show up Wink  Give me a text or PM so I can grab it off ya.

-------------

Posted By: dustin
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 11:48pm
I would like to know how much light line (6kg, 4kg and lighter) can be allowed to get into the water on fast fish (billfish, tuna etc) before water pressure starts becoming an issue.   I've never fished with these gear classes until very recently.  The drag of the line through the water is often mentioned as being a danger when fishing light/ultralight line but I'd like to know what kind of leeway you have before it becomes a real problem.     

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 10:05am
you would have to ask in the workup thread Dusty, this one is for the smaller fish we chase, but lets face it 1,2,3,4 kg line....maximum leaders and a very fast boat in reverse with a wire man who wont let go.

-------------

Posted By: mozz
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 11:54pm
We got about 200m out on 2kg line 4 days ago fighting a sailfish and had him on for 35 mins. I use 30kg wire as it's easy to set the hook with and doesn't create a lot of drag when the fish is ripping through the water. We basically went to freespool until we worked out where the fish was and could start chasing.

Posted By: Peter Pakula
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 10:11am
Lots of great info in this thread. Brings back a lot of old memories. I fished 4kg for marlin for quite a few years and my daily record on most marlin in a day was on 4kg. The boat got 23 of which I got 12 all on 4kg using rods and reels mentioned here. No they weren't big, all 15 to 25kg, but great fun. My main reel was a SL20SLH (high speed version) It was fine straight out of the box. I did blow 2 spools up over a few years.

To answer Dustins' question we set drags at 2kg on 4 and had a full spool of 4 out on Marlin and Yellowfin quite a few times over the years in double and triple hook ups. We used full spools of 4kg so that would have been over 1,000yards. We didn't back off the drags and didn't bust off. Fishing with Tim Simpson from Bluewater Mag we were in the position where I was down to the knot with my fish going east and he was down to the knot with his fish going west. Probably one of my best fishing memories as the stretch came out of the lines and tightened both fish arced and turned and we ended up getting tags in both.

Fishing 4kg is where just about all the fighting techniques I talk about re heavier line classes came from. It's a great line class and lots of fun. I wish it was still used in competition here but it's been out for quite a few years in my local area.

Once again, all the info in this thread is great, but then again light line guys are a special breed. :) good luck with it all, wish I was there!

Print Page | Close Window