Forum Name: Gamefishing Updates and Reports Archive
Forum Description: Key info and threads from previous gamefishing seasons
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84318
Printed Date: 19 May 2024 at 11:40pm

Topic: West Coast/Manukau/Raglan 2012/13
Posted By: smudge
Subject: West Coast/Manukau/Raglan 2012/13
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 11:27pm
DoC & Ministry of Primary Industries have a Threat Management Plan to protect the Maui dolphin. Submissions close November 12. To view the info http://www.doc.govt.nz/mauisconsultation" rel="nofollow - Click Here

I've posted this in here because there are a number of options to protect the dolphin such as speed restrictions in the harbours and through the harbour bars.

it is also a very real possibility that the entire known dolphin habitat will become a marine reserve so no game fishing on this side of the country baby.

Anyway, get your submissions in before November 12

Replies:
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 5:27pm

A public meeting to discuss the review of the dolphin threat management plan is being held on Tuesday 6 November at Titirangi RSA at 7pm. A representative from MPI and DoC has been invited to attend and address the meeting, as there are likely to be questions around the process and the proposed measures. 

Would you please advise the Zone 2 representatives of the Tuesday meeting and advise that other people are most welcome to attend.

Details are:

Venue: Titirangi RSA, Library room. 502 South Titirangi Road, Titirangi village.

Time: 7pm – 9pm (approx)

Parking: ample parking at club or outside on-street.

Recommendation: that people bring written questions to give to MPI and/or DoC as their representative is not likely to have all the answers available on the night.  

Posted By: skidoggg
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 6:44pm
mutha fu...kers  , friggin maui dolphin dont own the whole west coast ffs !

Posted By: Rainbow
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 9:44am
Talked to a couple of yachties who just came down from Suva and sheltered in New Plymouth for a couple of days.    They told me that they caught an albacore on the way down about 70km north of NP.    That would put it somewhere off Raglan.

Rainbow

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 11:39am
I reckon they are off the West Coast all year but as far inshore as in summer.

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Posted By: Dunwurkn
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 6:25pm
Snapper fish saturday off manukau then will troll for a few hours see if any albies about.

Posted By: gnomekiller
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 6:40pm
Any Albies showing up yet
Shocked

-------------
catch more fish

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 7:16pm
Was very sloppy heading wide saturday decided to pull the pin after the snapper fish conditions were not good

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 8:35pm
I heard you were changing your name to Dunchuckin Big smile wasn't pretty at all but the fishing was good. I didn't see any Maui dolphins though.

Posted By: fishyrich
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 8:51pm
Some Raglan fishos had the pleasure on Saturday of a 5 metre Great White Shark hanging around their 6m trailerboat!! not exactly sure where but somewhere around the 50m mark while they were Snapper fishing. Bugger that!!
We seen atleast 2 Maui Dolphins on our return to the Bar on Saturday.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I heard you were changing your name to Dunchuckin Big smile wasn't pretty at all but the fishing was good. I didn't see any Maui dolphins though.

I like to call it strategic burlying lol. It sure was we had a great time.No mauis seen by us either.

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 8:04am
Quote from Raglan angler on FB:-

'had a marlin in the gear at 120m yesterday out by 124"

-------------

Posted By: fishyrich
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 12:40pm
First Raglan marlin on its way to the weigh station, im currently up in the Bay of Islands. Will give more details when it comes to hand.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 5:01pm

First of the season 125kg, well done Lattitude, angler Darryn Bennett.

-------------

Posted By: sink
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 7:57pm
yeah babyThumbs Up

Posted By: poppatrev
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 8:42pm
well done latitude we drove around all day with no luck

Posted By: LBGer
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 7:46am
Down in Raglan now, I was driving past and saw the weight sling out and the board partly written up - striped marlin 37kg, ..... think they were setting it up....

-------------
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 3:46pm
From FB
  • https://www.facebook.com/groups/168508511882/10151188681501883/?notif_t=group_activity#" rel="nofollow -
    https://www.facebook.com/richard.hart.923171" rel="nofollow - Richard Hart  Was out yesterday Amanda, pretty quiet for us out at between 100 and 220 metres in the 124 vicinity, there was the odd school of big Sauries jumping every now and then, and we may of seen a couple of tailing Marlin that we cant confirm. We got 11 skippies and 4 nice Albacore, could of filled up with Albies.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/168508511882/permalink/10151188681501883/?comment_id=10151189629816883&offset=0&total_comments=2" rel="nofollow - 6 hours ago  ·  https://www.facebook.com/groups/168508511882/10151188681501883/?notif_t=group_activity#" rel="nofollow - Like
  • https://www.facebook.com/richard.hart.923171" rel="nofollow">
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/168508511882/10151188681501883/?notif_t=group_activity#" rel="nofollow -
    https://www.facebook.com/richard.hart.923171" rel="nofollow - Richard Hart  Lattitude spent Sat and Sun out there for 3 lost fish on Sat and 2 or 3 lost on Sun.

-------------

Posted By: skip68
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 8:09pm
Thinking about heading out from Raglan on Tuesday, but have never been over the bar! Based on the current sea state and forecast, can anyone give md feedback as to what it might be like on Tuesday? Thanks

Posted By: AndreA
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by skip68 skip68 wrote:

Thinking about heading out from Raglan on Tuesday, but have never been over the bar! Based on the current sea state and forecast, can anyone give md feedback as to what it might be like on Tuesday? Thanks
I would suggest to use Manu Bay if you have not crossed the bar before.I lived in Raglan for 8 years & always used Manu Bay.I did the bar crossing course but always felt safer using Manu Bay.Just my own personal view.

-------------
f*#k it all & f*#king no regrets

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 9:16pm
Thanks for that advice... 8m boat too big for Manu Bay?

Posted By: No Fear
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 9:30pm
hey skip68,,8 mtr boat manui bay,,,, wow, is a good ramp,concrete, has a break water wall not very long,,but can be tricky depending on the swell,you can get a lot of lift their on and off trailer but i dear say if ya got a wobble roller trailer you would be fine,drive on trailer,boat be heavy enough to sit on trailer,,but can get a push up trailer from swell,, on a high tide you can pick up,drop off crew on end of break water,be careful in mid tide cause breackwater has a shelf along it on inside and can hit with boat if nosein up to wall,, along the inside..  ive you no the bar theres a good ramp at the warf,, good bar leads with lights,, but actal bar is a long way out,,  around the end of surf line,,,theres a tree on sky line and a green roof shed at bottom of hill people use as a bar marker..,,, dont go by what i have written if you dont know it please,just giving you a general heads up on it,, raglan coast gaurd do run bar days where they will teach you and show you,,well worth it if you  are unsure, cheers kuruzin

-------------
'''kuruzin" on ''ureka express"

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 9:32pm
p,s  later in the week better,weather wise.

-------------

Posted By: AndreA
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 9:33pm
Yes 8m might be abit big especially a hour each side of low tide & with a surge on the ramp.Best stick to the bar but get in contact with the local coast guard & watch the weather.What sort of boat you got?High tide @ Manu Bay & a small surge i would say it would be OK to launch or retrieve.If you do make sure your crew know what they are doing there is little room for error on the ramp & it can get busy.Best way is to have every one  on the boat when launching they can come in & pick up the person who parked the  car,then when you come back drop a couple people off & then move off the ramp they get the trailer down then you line the boat up for the trailer & the crew winch the boat on & away you go.

-------------
f*#k it all & f*#king no regrets

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 9:39pm
Thanks guys! I tried doing bar course, but was full - but will do in future. I have a Whitepointer, but so far have all my gamefishing on the east. I might try to get a crewmate that's done the bar at Raglan plenty of times. Thanks again for your comments

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 7:25am
I've been over the bar heaps of times...as a passenger. If you cold co-ordinate with some other boats leaving from the town wharf and follow them you'll be of. You can drive to the Wainui reserve and look down on the bar to give yourself a good inspection of it.
The "joggle" inside the bar can be a bit unpleasant with short, steep  chop.
Forum member like The Beagle, Flying Dutchman also Jason from Top Catch in Hamilton are experienced bar crossers.
Edit - just looked at Swellmap and Wed - Fri looks primo.
Beagle reckons 10 ft swell is crossable - it's full tide at 07.00 so good time to cross.

-------------

Posted By: redone967
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 9:36am
Skip 68 are you looking for a spare crew member at all?? I have a dozen years experience working that bar and in an 8 meter WP you should be fine with the right advice,NIWA raglan A is a good camera site over looking the bar, Ive got a few goldies and a good lure selection and a bit of spare time at the mo, my boat is in whitianga currently

Posted By: Bigfishbob
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 11:46am
Skip 68 With a boat thatsize you're best bet is to cross the bar, just makes launching and retrieving that much easier. Last time I launched at Manu bay, a mate launched his 720 McLay hard top with no issues.

The trouble with Manu bay is that with a large boat and any sort of surge, which you almost always get at Manu, the boat will be a handfull for people to hold while waiting for the trailer. You could always have them drive around and then drive onto the trailer.

For Swells around 1 metre, the bar is fully workable without issue. For a first timer, restrict your crssoing times to incoming tides. The Joggle FishB8 is talking about is worst on outgoing tides. For a boat the size of yours you'd want to avoid 1 hour either side of low as well.

Find or get somebody to point out the land based marker lights from the harbour across Raglan Town. Keep these lined up over your shoulder on the way out and drive toward them on the way in and your sweet. Target the low swelll days initially and then take on bigger stuff as you get more and more confident.

-------------
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz

Posted By: Fish Tales
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 9:31am
Just quietly has anyone been down Marokopa / Tiaua point this week? Would be very interested in a report as looking to head down from Kawhia tomorrow.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 10:56am
From Raglan SFC on FB
"They were hooked up to a stripy yesterday in 62 metres directly behind the bar and lost it after 15 minutes on a pacific fruit salad 3.5 lure..... So moral of the story - put those lures out nice and early.... as you could be driving right past the fish if you wait till the 100m mark. "

-------------

Posted By: gap74
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 7:59pm
Yup that was us, lots of swearing going on!!

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 9:41pm
Tell us the story!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 4:29pm
Another couple for Raglan. Copied from RSFC on FB:-
We just weighed a Striped Marlin for Nick Ravlich fishing with Mark Flower on Aquaholic 103.8 kg x 37kg, 20 minutes is all it took and then the fiesty marlin beat up the angler in the boat, I saw the swollen beaten up forearms!!!
Thats not bad considering they started trolling at the 100m mark and had the fish on at 107metres!

The club also weighed a solid fish yesterday in the Manu Bay fishing comp for Aaron Scott who was fishing with his father Owen, they had a double strike and Aarons fish stayed connected going 128kg.
Great to see and hear about all this action out wide, can it get any better? lets hope so.
Sharpen ya hooks head out west!

-------------

Posted By: RAV
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 8:35am

Got this yesterday out of raglan on the boat AQUAHOLIC at 107m only had the gear in the water just over 1hour before we hooked up. Awesome skippering and crew work from Mark Flower and Boof we had it in the boat after 18min conditions were perfect

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 9:18am
Great stuff - what was the lure?

-------------

Posted By: segador
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 9:58am
sik mate

Posted By: Bryn23
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 10:05am
Good work Nick,

Gotta love it, when a plan comes together.

Posted By: mandii
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 12:19pm
awesome guys... that must be 3 marlin in 3 days weighed in raglan....

Posted By: Merlin the marlin
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 5:37pm
Very nice Mr Ravlich............. Now go get another one.

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 10:19pm
Raglan scf - FB
‎3 days in a row now, we have weighed a marlin, Nathan McCluskie couldnt find a crew yesterday so just went by himself today! 104 kg and the rest is history. He has now paid his membership also!! 
Remember to make sure your membership is current and it may pay to check that your crew belong to an igfa affilliated club.
Congrats to Nathan by the way.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 7:09am
Yet more from Raglan - as poster fro RSFC on FB

I just found out that also today young junior angler Joe Clark fishing with his father Jason onboard the vessel Scotty landed a Striped Marlin today, it weighed 131kg on 15kg. Joe had at least 2 Marlin on today, one earlier in the day was on 24kg and was lost at the boat! 
Now I know young Joe would of given his all on that first fish and unfortunately his 2nd fish needed a little help in the end from his proud father. 
How hot is Raglan right now?? The good weather is probably a big factor for boats able to get out.

-------------

Posted By: mandii
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 3:08pm
That's 5 Marlin weighed in 4 days I think for Raglan! who would want to fish the east coast eh...

Posted By: skidder
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 3:51pm
Last Sunday I struggled to get my Manukau bar VHF report in as there seemed to be a constant stream of Raglan folks reporting in......so wondering if more boats per day head out of Raglan than Manukau ?....thus a better hit rate.

-------------
Knockers - need I say more.....

Posted By: 6.1 aquaholic
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 4:01pm
There was a fishing comp on we didn't see any other boats on Monday out wide

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 5:06pm
go hard the raglan boys !!

-------------

Posted By: campbellc
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 6:11pm
What sort of depth are they getting the fish in anyone know? Accessible easily by a 5m boat ? Saturdays forcast looks pretty mint 

Posted By: Pepe1
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 10:38pm
Just back from a big day's worth of trolling out of Kawhia with more than a few boats.
Nice weather and slight seas with a little wind chop late in the day.
Out to 200m and then worked our way back in. Water temp up to 22c at it's best.
Apart from a bolshie mako no great sucess to report for ourselves with biat fish hard to find.

However a good source is reporting two marlin were brought in late in the day (first for Kawhia?) Smile

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 6:52am
Yet more from Raglan - as poster from RSFC on Face Book

Make that 6 days in a row!! club member  https://www.facebook.com/dion.murphy.566?group_id=168508511882" rel="nofollow - Dion Murphy  has landed what I think is his first Marlin, 93.6 x 24kg and was caught out behind Gannet Island.
Congrats on popping your cherry Dion.
The Marlin action still seems to be out around the 100m to 130m mark, some fishers are headin due west and some are just heading straight out from the bar.
So who is gonna catch tomorrows Marlin?

-------------

Posted By: Sublime boat
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 1:23pm
Nice one brother.Dont forget  to bring that good luck lure up for the one base next week ay!Haha Big smile

Posted By: billfish
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 4:52pm
Sounds like a few seen, hooked and killed today out from Manukau.  

Somebody I know had dropped 3 and was back on a 4th before lunch.   Somebody else looking for a courtesy weigh at Huia.     Things starting to hot up?

Thumbs Up

Posted By: No Major
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 5:25pm
Yea probably would have been my mates today, they launched out of huia and landed one north of the bar. Heading out tomorrow to give it another go.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Sublime boat Sublime boat wrote:

Nice one brother.Dont forget  to bring that good luck lure up for the one base next week ay!Haha Big smile
caught it on your side of the boat too cock, not bad for blunt hooks and a 2 m trace a soft drag, mate set that one up, short corner, any one know how to dry the bill out so I can hang it in the shed and tail

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 9:42pm
Congrats team Redone...pm Krow he has done a few bills in his shed, I also heard a few months in the freezer will dry the bill out also...

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 9:49pm
heard tonight raglan weighed 5 today.. c ya out there tomorrow..

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 9:50pm
Raglan - currently marlin capital of NZ
Yet more from Raglan - as poster fro RSFC on FB

Ok make 6 days in a row now! We have had 5 marlin come into Raglan today, 4 weighed and one tag and release, 100 to 120m again straight off Raglan and out behind Gannet Island.

-------------

Posted By: Sublime boat
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by redone967 redone967 wrote:

Originally posted by Sublime boat Sublime boat wrote:

caught it on your side of the boat too cock, not bad for blunt hooks and a 2 m trace a soft drag, mate set that one up, short corner, any one know how to dry the bill out so I can hang it in the shed and tail
Dry it up your arse mate!!

Posted By: the angler
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 10:09pm
good ****en **** 

Posted By: ancient mariner
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Raglan - currently marlin capital of NZ
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Yet more from Raglan - as poster fro RSFC on FB</span><div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.800000190734863px; line-height: 13.600000381469727px;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.800000190734863px; line-height: 13.600000381469727px;">Ok make 6 days in a row now! We have had 5 marlin come into Raglan today, 4 weighed and one tag and release, 100 to 120m again straight off Raglan and out behind Gannet Island.</span>

Any news who got what?

Posted By: segador
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 10:15pm
ive just salted the hell out of the meaty part and hanging it in the garage seems to be drying fine geez 4 shots before lunch crazy fishing

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 3:09pm
mate got a few in his shed plus the tails al he does is fill a bucket up with salt,buy a bag from rd 1 for about 20bucks and  bury meaty bits of each end of fish in for for a few months or go hard and just bang it up and let the flys do it ..  on ya!

-------------

Posted By: RAV
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 8:00pm
Team bucko got one out of Kawhia yesterday and there was another fish getting weighed this morning by a boat that stayed out last night. Kawhia one base is this thurs fri sat could be a huge tournament the way it's fishing

-------------

Posted By: Gowest
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 11:21am
Heard Crazy Horse took a stripey back to Kawhia on Sat, he was out pretty wide though got it at the trench from what i heard on radio

Posted By: ChasingTail
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 2:07pm
We hooked 2 striped ones on saturday 2nd feb straight out off the Manukau bar. The first one was hooked at 10:00am  in 135m  but we dropped it 50m from the boat after a good 20 min fight.The 2nd which was a bit larger estimated 100-105kg was hooked at 1:30pm in 120m and we landed it in 8 minutes. Plenty of albicore to 6kg around too. Couldn't ask for more on our first attempt for the season.Lures were Pakula lumo sprocket and cant' recall which lure the other was except it was black/purple skirt.

-------------
sink or swim

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 10:34pm
Raglan SFC on FB

2 fish weighed today on the club scales, first one was just under 90kg for a non-club member and Rusty Bullet with Mike Coyne and Glen Olsen onboard weighed a 100kg Stripey caught in 105m straight off Raglan, Mike was the angler.
Congrats to you guys.

-------------

Posted By: livin4fish
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 12:53pm
We where the other went 89.4 kg in 90 m straight of Raglan bar.Smile Got pack attacked....

-------------
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise: Lewis Carroll

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 1:07pm
Sounds awesome...go on, tell the story!

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 2:45pm
Hit water at 8 and bashed our way out to 50 m hit 19.8 degree blue water so dropped the lures in 3 rods one on each side and shotgun in rocket launcher with tuna lure on it trolled out to 130 m with out seeing anything. the odd bird , no bait fish hung around 100 to 130 area for an hour then decided to troll back toward Gannet and try for some kingi's hit 90 m just after 1 and lost some line off port rod we both thought it was a shark as we had just seen a mako free jumping a few minutes earlier the shotgun then took off and lost about 200 metres and stopped then one stripie came in closely follwed by 2 or 3 more and rods got hit . Port one ran off line and other two got dropped pretty much straight away, cleared the rods and port rod was still running off we settled in and struck the fish and up he got. Next ten minutes he tail walked and ran out about 500 m of line he then settled and we got some line back as we chased him down. Had it to the boat in 30 min with an easy gaff and pulled him in. Big day first marlin for me and the boat. Thanks to Brendon and Sheryl Hart for the weigh.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 2:58pm
Great going - what lure?Thumbs Up
Sounds like all the lure got a looking at!

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 3:28pm
Pacific fruit salad, Tuna lure was black and purple skirt cone head can't remember the origin. Going to buy an equaliser bloody hard work with old leather gimbal belt and a fender for a harness..........

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 3:46pm
Can't beat a decent harness. I have 2 equalizers white and black

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 6:37am
Fro Raglan SFC on FB

Congratulations to Courtney Rowling for her T & R S/Marlin onboard Shogun today and to Kane Wakefiled for his T & R Mako, Looks like these guys had a great day.

-------------

Posted By: too much
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 7:11am
GOT A TEXT LAST NIGHT FROM MATE IN RAGS WATCHING COMMERICAL BOAT UNLOAD EST 250KG BROADIE CAUGHT ON BLUE NOSE DROPPER

-------------
GO HARD STAND TALL

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 7:51am
Originally posted by too much too much wrote:

GOT A TEXT LAST NIGHT FROM MATE IN RAGS WATCHING COMMERICAL BOAT UNLOAD EST 250KG BROADIE CAUGHT ON BLUE NOSE DROPPER

Big smile that sounds very cool. Has anyone ever targetted swords out west at all, maybe at the trench??

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 11:09am
i know a couple people have,, perhaps we should target bluenose and accept the by catch !!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 11:48am
Any reports from anyone been out wide off raglan/Kawhia over last couple days? Looking to head out of rags saturday for my secend ever attempt at a stickface. Temp not reading on my depth sounder for some reason so if anyone on here could post a SST image of that area would be a great help so I can plan to work a general area. Straight out west of the bar, north or south behind gannet ( seemed to be the spot a few weeks ago? Thanks in advance to any pointers.

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 9:56am
CHERRY POPPED Big smile!!! Second time out ever gamefishing of Raglan yesterday just me and my mate managed to get lucky and land one. 96.7kg, not huge but a good start to gamefishing career anyway! Full report to come

Posted By: Fletch
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 9:58am
Yeeeeeeah bro, choice!

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Bigfishbob
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 7:01pm
Went for a circuit straight out from Rags yesterday put lures in at 100 metres, headed north to the 124, didn't find it, and then back into 85 metres.

Aside from a spectacular episode of dolphins cleaning up a school of skippies and the bait they were eating, and a quck stop to catch a feed of snaps at 85 metres, not much else to report. Zillions of skippies though.

-------------
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Gowest Gowest wrote:

CHERRY POPPED Big smile!!! Second time out ever gamefishing of Raglan yesterday just me and my mate managed to get lucky and land one. 96.7kg, not huge but a good start to gamefishing career anyway! Full report to come
Well done!! In the club now!Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 8:16am
heading out tomorrow,off rags any heads up on depth an area would be great,,was looking at 100 mtr line due west and 124 area.. how was bait an birds
thanks to the replys

still got a cherry to pop !!!

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 8:22am
Cheers Fishb8 yeah in the Club now. Been dreaming about that first one for a while now. Hey I landed the sucker on TLD 30 2 speed fully loaded with 50lb braid to!
Will put full report up on here tonight.

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 10:15am
We got 10 on our recent trip - 6 were on braid!

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 11:08am
Yeah been checking your posts out, looks like a wicked trip mate for sure.
Yeah Im liking the idea of using full braid ay mate. Having no strech must get that hook set pretty quick on a strike and the idea of have less of a belly in the line due to smaller dia. cant be a bad thing Im thinking.

Posted By: skidder
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 12:36pm
I'd hate to catch a record fish on braid...Unhappy

-------------
Knockers - need I say more.....

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 12:54pm
Yeah I suppose if you were in comps and going for records etc you would use test mono but just recreationally cant be too much wrong with it. Worked well for us on Sunday anyway thats for sure Thumbs Up

Posted By: Reel Deal
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 8:04pm
Big ups Gowest! Planning and then executing that plan with success, tops! Hopefully I have a report soon...

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Posted By: bringiton
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 8:26pm
Slow day out of Raglan few rat kings on 21 and 23 no marlin out wide. Did anybody have better luck?

Posted By: tjm
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 8:34pm
Thinking about escaping from work and getting out tomorrow Big smile

-------------
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Gowest Gowest wrote:

Yeah I suppose if you were in comps and going for records etc you would use test mono but just recreationally cant be too much wrong with it. Worked well for us on Sunday anyway thats for sure Thumbs Up

yeah good work chad and crew, mate nothing like nailing that first one a, doesn't matter what the gear is, it got the job done a,will probably go for poke in the weekend weather permitting,have you pumped it thru the smoker yet?? hope you kept the bill and tail and while on that subject does anyone have any good ideas on how to prep them for putting up in the man cave?? theyre currently chilling in the deep freeze untouched

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 8:53pm
Dnt fish in side 100m if fishing from rags 35m to 80m waters blue but dead

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 9:51pm
true mark, heard of a couple hook-ups in 30 and 50 m over the week, one on a kingie bait, but well just see what the waters doing on the day, might soak some baits for a change, been working on a down rigger set up, keen as to give it its first run, nice work on that fin up north, pic would of been stoked to get that one for the boat, must of taken out tuna category, you guys catch much else,

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 7:15am
There's a full trip report it's down tho bottom of the main page yer the fish mite in side the 100m meter line but there's 3 times more boats fishing in side 100m for a lot less fish like at all the top boats all there fish are from out side 100m and I have started seen a lot more fishing out there

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 8:11am
Solid day out of Raglan yesterday. Covered a lot of water inc. the Trench. Saw a free jumper around the 100m line, but otherwise a very lifeless looking sea! Still a great day out. Tend to agree, that probabaly better to be fishing 70m out....

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 6:21pm
Yeah cheers guys feels good alright! Yeah got it of to the smoker on monday. Gona get the head mounted. Kept the tail to. Ive heard formaldahyde to preserve and dry the thing out ( tail or bill ) and then a coat of varnirnish, resin or polyurethane etc to seal it and give it a bit of a sheen?

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 6:38pm
Damn show off Gowest. My missus had a 80-90kg stripy on today for 20 seconds. It went nuts and a few simple mistakes by these amatures saw it swimming for another day. Had a very large tuna that I couldn't identify must have been 20kg plus chasing a lure mouth openalarge Albert?. I did the mistake of laying it back but when the weight came back on the lure got airborne and the tuna flagged it. Damn I should have just speed up the boat but my old man was driving. It would ave been swipping at the lure for at least 20 seconds. Dropped another unseen strike that took the lure as it dived and went to the horizon before dropping...note a theme here...
Did get a alby and nestled in for a bottom bounce that gave us snapper and blue cod.
Got back in the bar and lost my steering and could only use our weight hanging over the side to steer...damn seal bust and all it took was 30 mill lost of the hydrolic fluid and all was gone...sigh another job for the list

-------------
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb

Posted By: the demon
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 8:56pm
Least you werent at the 120 meter mark re the steering ,great action on the tuna, must of been good to see.Thumbs Up

Posted By: Crazy Horse
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 10:42pm
Got my first Mahi Mahi for the season today. Great water out there

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 9:02am
What size Crazy Horse? Around floatsome ? Awesome eating fish.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 9:48am
There got to be some Blues out there eating those little suckers ay? Sheryl from RSFC told us of a guy who dropped a 200Kg + blue that got dropped of the shelf not long ago. They must be out there

Posted By: rambo
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 1:19pm
Mate got one in th boot 90m off manukau today sounds very fishy

Print Page | Close Window