Print Page | Close Window

COMBATING SEA SICKNESS

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Hints,Tips and How To's
Forum Description: Rigs, tackle, baits, angling techniques, tips and hints & your DIY projects here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=82055
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 7:03pm

Topic: COMBATING SEA SICKNESS
Posted By: laidbackdood
Subject: COMBATING SEA SICKNESS
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 12:42am

Nobody particularly enjoys having the above ,while out on their boat or taking a charter...with some its a common occurrence with cries of " harden up" from the lucky buggers who never seem to get it themselves.....some of the long range trips to the three kings and ranfurly cause trouble for many but are some of the best spots you can fish.

Personally,It doesnt stop me from fishing...especially jigging but  i do find fasting and avoiding drinking anything for the rest of the day seems to help...The main problem is with the lack of food,comes the lack of fuel for your body and so the draining of energy...I had a hard time on a 5 day trip to the three kings.....providing plenty of burley on the trip out!...for some sea legs are the answer,some the pihia bombs...neither of them worked for me but i have a found a few things that aggravate it and now something that has dealt to it......Here are what aggravates it and the people ,who let me know this too=

1.Lack of sleep the night before.....Carl from epic told me this was bad news as it disturbs your equilibrium and makes you get sea sick easier.Thanks Carl

2.Drinking coffee before the trip or while on the boat...Colin Tecofsky a skipper from Tauranga informed of this ...I was already feeling dodgey and my mate AAron from on here, gave me a coffee and 20 mins later i was yawning everywhere....colin informed me that a nurse had told him that coffee disturbs the central nervous system and is likely to cause trouble in people who are prone to motion sickness.

I remember one day with Carl jigging....Id had a ding dong with the mrs the night before and didnt get to bed until 3am and was up at 5 am to go down to carl....i was jigging,chucking and falling asleep all at the same time

HELP AT HAND= I went out on friday and the sea was pretty rough but before hand i had a a light breakfast but i had a piece of toast with peanut butter...sliced two pieces of ginger,removed the skin,chopped it up into fine pieces...put that on the toast with jam(can use honey as well)......

I am normally fine up and down...its the side to side that gets me.....there was plenty of up and down but some big side to side through the day and i never felt a thing!.Just focused on the horizon...........so from now on...i will do that whenever i anticipate some rough sea......I hope this can help others as it can be pretty draining and side tracks you from having fun....give it a go and the other two things from above=good sleep and avoid coffee and let me know if it works for you............good luck

-------------
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.

Replies:
Posted By: matty
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 7:53am
sound advice

Posted By: Aaron32987
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 9:03am

No more coffee service for you then! LOL

Fully agree about the lack of sleep - I'll always stay the night before a charter locally and get an early night.

I take Paihia bombs and drink 2 ginger beers, one before the trip and one around 10am. This seems to work for me. I need my coffee though...

Posted By: fillets
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 9:23am
Paihia bombs cannot beat them

Posted By: krow
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 9:28am
I'm one of the lucky ones and don't get crook but thanks for the info I'll pass it on to all that need it, but I for one can nevewr get a good nights sleep before a fishing trip. Far too excited.

Posted By: Fishing Addiction
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 10:52am
Lollies. lots of them. i never get sea sick but the mrs says it works for her

Posted By: Finatic
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 11:08am
Haven't been sea sick for yonks. But I found that having a good hearty breakfast and eating throughout the day, including chewing gum and keeping fluid levels up (no booze) keep that horrible feeling at bay.

Worse time to be feeling sea sick is just before doing a scuba dive (although if you're feeling sea sick, jumping in for a quick swim is one of the best things you can do). I've almost puked in my reg at the surface after a particularly lumpy ride out to the KnightsLOL.

Diesel fume blowback makes me puke my ring out quick smart.

Found the best thing is to not to fight it. If you're going to be sick, blow chunks sooner rather than later. I usually feel better after a good chuck. Gets rid of that tight feeling in your kidneys.

-------------
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.

Posted By: strx7
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 12:20pm
"Avomine" when I first wake up on the day of going fishing, haven't felt iffy since I discovered it.

Posted By: of2fsh
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 12:40pm
Went on a boat trip to the great barrier reef last week,bloke said they can have 90 out of the 100 passengers chundering,he called it "vomigeddon" ,was a long run of 37 miles and man there was some sick people...worst feeling in the world,i use paihia bombers at the 3 kings and take them every 12 hours not 24 as on the instructions,after day 2 i dont take a anything as you normally have your "sway on " by then

-------------
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition

Posted By: John_Ra
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 1:12pm
Got my Sea Legs the Old Fashion way.... Just keep going out to fish till you Puke that one last time & Bingo... believe me you'll feel right as rain after that... I had a beer or three after that one LOL
Up at the 3 Kings took a couple of days before we came right felt quezy but didn't burley up.... it's a bit rougher up them ways... This season it was...

Odd Fellows help.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Double Shot
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 1:44pm
Paihia Bombs work for my missus, Ginger is a good one too...but as I work at see on a ship with 200+ workers as the medic i get alsorts even at a meter, more understandable at 6+ meters though,

Dimenhydrinate works well as does Kwells...

-------------
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    

Posted By: Clifftastic
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 2:16pm
The missus was ill in 3m swells last xmas and she sucked on crystalised ginger which helped - and me making her follow the horizon from the wheelhouse...

Posted By: Tangi DnA
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 3:24pm
some good advice there, I am normally very good at sea, and if I do I use the old mind ova matter. There is NO way Im going to be sick and I just keep eating and drinking till the feeling passes.

-------------
I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila.

Posted By: Kitten
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 9:42pm
Only once I've been sea sick, came as a surprise for me as been out many times before and have been fine. Mind might be the difference between a smaller and a big game boat? As was the larger I was sick on. I think it was heavy side by side motion which did it. I'll keep these tips in mind in case :)

Posted By: C A
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 9:56pm
some good stuff here ill have to try, ive spent more than my fair share over the side!! 

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 10:03pm
I still get sea sick occassionally, especially after a few beers the night before .... but  usually only in open water, I doubt I'd survive a trip out to Ranfurly or the kings without some chucking, but I usually come right pretty quick.

Posted By: Cbro
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 10:47pm
apparently smoking helps...

Posted By: green guy
Date Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 1:52pm
3 words
18 double browns 30 min before u go out trust me it works
I'm all so one of the lucky ones hat don't get sea sick all though one trip out with Carl I got a wedge while puking and I had a fish on that's was fun ae off the hook lol
But in saying that was at the local till 3 drunk as a skunk

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 3:47pm
Great idea Mitch I must try it LOL

Posted By: otter
Date Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 11:09am
why loose the burely.... I done get sick but talking about a nice cup of fat and grease while making slurping sounds is a great way to up the burely efforts....

Posted By: Joker
Date Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Clifftastic Clifftastic wrote:

The missus was ill in 3m swells last xmas and she sucked on crystalised ginger which helped - and me making her follow the horizon from the wheelhouse...

Second the Crystalised ginger - wife is a real sick chops yet it works for her.

Print Page | Close Window