Forum Description: Share information about your latest fishing trip
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81203
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 5:51pm

Topic: Wanganui Sea Fishing.
Posted By: axel_003
Subject: Wanganui Sea Fishing.
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 9:06pm

Hi all,

Keen to hear from anyone who heads out of Wanganui. I’m pretty new to the game and just want to share info, photos and tips.
I have just got into my first boat, 5m Mclay, 90hp yammy. Been out a couple of times with some success. Getting a feed of terakihi, gurnard and blue cod both times with a 46cm blue cod on the last trip.

So if you a keen to share then reply here.

Cheers.

Replies:
Posted By: Tangi DnA
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 3:30pm
Welcome to the forums axel Handshake

I used to fish out of Wangas a bit but now I fish out of Tangimoana. Im pleased to hear you are having some success, and congratulations on getting your first boat. They are good boats too.
There are a few on here who fish Wanganui you may just have to wait a while for a reply thats all.

-------------
I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila.

Posted By: Rob Optimist
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 5:29pm
Pm sent

-------------
               "attitude is everything"

Posted By: Wide Load
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 8:13pm
Hi Axel
The "Spot X Fishing Guide" gave me lots of good starting points to explore from.
If you don't have a copy pm me.

Kai Iwi is usually a bit calmer if it's rough out wide.
Waiinu hole S39-56.93  E174-41.40 or there-abouts has been good to me at times.
Turakina Ridge in 25-30 metres produces Tarakihi in winter and blue cod year round.
The 30 metre contour right along this coast is where I head and drift with softbaits which always produces a feed.

Good luck, see you out there some time.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 1:34pm
Hi all,

Good to hear a few other that fish Wanganui.

Tangi, do you launch from Tangi beach? Is there a boat ramp? Have you been out of Foxton?

Cheers Rob, will give you a call soon.

Wide Load, yes i have the spot x co-ord and have used Kai Iwi but only got spiny dogs. Was on the way out to the off the entrance co-ord and stopped by another boat and drifted until we hit blue cod, then anchored up for a few hours pulling up blue cod, gurnad and tarakihi. Was about 5 miles SW of the bar.

Looking forward hearing from you all.

Cheers 

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 2:49pm
Hi Axel,

We do have a ramp here, you launch into a backwash and then motor out into the main river.
It is tidal though and you really have a window of around 3hrs either side of the high tide to safely have enough water to get back to the ramp. I dont fish foxton that often and If I do I go with a friend in his boat. Did you get out yesterday?

-------------
I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 8:54pm
Hi Tangi,

Sounds good, will have to have a look.

No, didn't go out this weekend. Weather didn'took so good and i'm not willing to push it without getting used to my new toy.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 8:10am
What forecast were you looking at?

I use swellmap and Metservice, got about a 6 on swellmap for Sat but it should have been a 9, as by 10.30 it was looking like glass.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 5:56pm
Really, I looked at swell map and just took it as that. Didn't bother due to the forcast, I live 1/2 hour from the coast so I can't just look out the window. I do look at the horizons webcam to check the bar out. Roll on summer!

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 7:24pm
Summer will cure your spiney dog problem too Axel!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 9:16pm
Didnt find the spineys too bad on Sat, Caught about 10 and about 40 other fish, kept 20. I normally fish a bit deeper when they turn up and dont use burley over winter at all. Seems to work ok.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 9:49pm
Softbait is the key for me, spineys are a rare catch

-------------

Posted By: DaveA
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 10:04pm
Keep off the oily baits during winter, use shell fish if you can get it, I normally use squid as I don't have much access to shell fish and squid is easy. If you HAVE to burley use shell fish burley, but the quality varies so I just fish the drift. Don't get many spineys when drift fishing.
Soft bait is jut frozen bait that has thawed!

-------------
A meal without wine is called breakfast.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 9:51pm
I have been using squid for bait, not so much success with pilchard. Just using a burley bombs from FCO and seems to be working fine. I've found that the dogs are in the shallower water 12m.

Managed to haul up a squid last trip, didn't get it in the boat before it let the sinker go.

Posted By: KikBac
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 10:30pm
If you get another squid Axel, tease it boatside and slip a landing net under it. Don't try and lift it out of the water by the line/sinker as it will let go. Once safely in the net leave it in the water a while. It will get agitated and squirt blue ink 2 or 3 times - only then bring it on board!!! End result some primo bait or fresh calamari.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 1:22pm
Where's the fun in that KikBac! Get your mate to lean over the side with a bucket as you bring it up - great for a laugh!!!LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 9:46pm
Haha, we were trying to figure out what to do with the squid as I didn't want ink all over the place. Will try the net next time!

Anyone planning on going out this weekend?

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 9:58pm
Not me, we're taking the kids up the mountain skiing.
I've heard of some good snaps being caught lately, along with a heap of spineys.

-------------

Posted By: scuzzymoto
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 10:23pm
a few  snaps been caught, also I know from a good source a king was dropped at the boat on a live bait

-------------
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 4:16pm
Just weather watching at this stage, not so bad for me though less than 1km to the beach.

May as well chase some white bait into the shallows on our way out. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 8:20pm

I'm weather watching as well. Was looking good on swell map this arvo but I see the wind is forecasted to get up now. Will be keeping an eye on it tomorrow and early Sat. We are looking at starting early to get the change of tide.

Where has the snapper being caught? What sort of depth?

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 10:44pm
What's everyones thoughts for the weekend? Looks like Friday will be the day. Hopefully the big high sticks around for another day or else it will be another weekend off the water.

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 1:20pm
I'm thinking of sneaking out early tomorrow, 7's and 8's on Swellmap!

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 8:45pm
Well, I will be stuck at work tomorrow bugger it all. And with the wind set to pick up might be another weekend the boat stays in the shed.Thumbs Down

Here is a couple of pics from the last trip out.

Not a bad day.

Looking south.

Great result.

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 8:54pm
Id call that a great day in awesome conditions, well done Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 10:51pm
Great weather today! Average fishing.
There was just the right amount of slop first thing to work the slow jig in the rodholder and I caught some nice fat gurnard on softbaits and thew jigs at 20 metres.
Out at 30m there was a plague of spiney's. I made the mistake of dropping a bait and up they came. At times there were 3 or 4 following the caught one!
Home in Palmy by 3pm with a bin fullf gurnard with a few fat ky and a couple of blue cod for good measure. No one Ispoke to at the ramp had any snaps.
Boat shaddow at 90km
Bar crossing
A bit murky at 20m from all the rain lately
A feed to take home

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 12:17am
 nicely done WL, you got the pic of the weather. crossing my fingers for an early morning run.

-------------

Posted By: widebody
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 12:43pm
Off Wang airport yesterday, got enough for fish and chips last nite. Heap of spiny dogs about.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 2:51pm
Welcome to the forum Hibby.
At what depth were you fishing?
What were the conditions like? it was a bit breezy here in Palmy?

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 6:39pm
Welcome Aboard Hibby, Wanganui conditions looked a lot better than ours on the webcam.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 10:17pm
Hi Hibby and welcome,
Couple of the lads from work got out on Friday. Got a lot of spiny dogs where ever they went. They got a feed of gurnard and that was it. They went SW of the bar and tried 20m to 60m. Conditions where mint.

Looking like the end of the week will be good, might take the opportunity of night shift to get out on Thursday for a morning session.

Posted By: miker
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 6:58am
Welcome Hibby
Had to go to wanganui to look at a job shot around to wharf street, the car park was 3/4 full havent these people got jobs, made me jealous. Watched a guy launch his workmate with the motor all the way down pushed it off the trailer the skeg crunched the ground, and dont think he wanted to get the back tyres of his falcon wet, I will head out this weekend spinys or not I am in withdrawl, I generally park up for 2-3 months, as I dont like feeding spinys,

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 2:31pm
Fishing in about 80ft water was cloudy,and with a strong nor easter which turned into a strong northerly around 10.30am, as nothing was happening we headed for home. One thing I havn,t seen before was the tidal flow from the river came right out to where we were fishing 5kms away, never seen it that far out. Fri looked mint but just couldn,t get away. Tried a quick dip for whitebait on the island on sun for nothing so looking hard at  Tangi DNA,s photo. Got bored and come home 4 lunch.

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 7:11pm
That was just a tease Hibby, I uploaded the picture from the MOF Rules and Regs site LOL
I dont usually go whitebaiting , Id rather go fishing.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 4:32pm
Well Done

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 9:52pm
What's everyone thoughts for the weekend? Looks like the wind is going to get up.

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 8:45pm
Heading on Sat just to the 4 mile reef see whats happening got a new HDS5 see how works out

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 9:03pm
Looking at the web cam yesterday has the bar got shallower on the left hand side heading out, there was white water from the left to the centre, just wondering if it had filled up with silt

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 9:23pm
Good luck Miker, let us all know how you get on.

Posted By: Lethal
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 11:24pm
looks like the cat is sitting on the draw bar of your trailer...

have a good one...

-------------
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2012 at 5:55pm
Axel
Hit the water at about 9 shot out to the reef picked up a couple of blue cod, water a bit choppy so moved over to Kai iwi about 4-5 ks out and the soft bait did the damage, carrots and blue cod and about 11.00 the water flattened  beautiful day, came home with a bin full, spoke to a guy at the ramp, he was down at Turakina and got Tics, trev and blue cod sounds like it was a good day for all, spoke to Ken the guy that sell bait next to the ramp, he said the snaps are coming in and has caught a few.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2012 at 8:56pm
Sounds like a good day then Miker. Good to hear the Snapper are around.

Has anyone caught any king fish out of Wanganui. Keen to give that a go, looks like a whole lot of fun. 

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 7:56pm
well done miker looked like it was shaping up to be a good one.

Axel I have caught a couple but nothing of any great size.  when they have followed up a hooked kawahai or other fish I throw a jig over and have caught a few. 

They are probably more prolific up around the Traps and Graham Bank.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 10:23am
Axel. I have had Kingi's chasing small blue cod off Kai iwi about 4kms off the beach. the wife was pulling in a small blue cod, I reached over to grab the trace and release the fish I was looking at 4 decent size Kingi' s chasing it, my rod in the holder bent over, and I pulled a rat kingi, he had taken my squid bait , but I had the squid on the hook with the tentacles free and floating, I stratlining for snaps, a nice surprise. 

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 2:02pm
Up towards Kai Iwiin about 80 - 90ft. Ended up with 4 snapper, 4 blue cod, 2 gurnard, chopped up around 10.00am so headed in.  sounds like it turned out fine, started early, had a feed and the crew were happy so we headed in. No spiney dogs. Son,s partner pulled up a very good blue cod so she was  stoked.
Had some friend,s around for lunch yesterday for fresh fish and salad. Never seen people eat so much fish. Kept the gurnard aside though.

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 5:49pm
 I've just checked Swell Map for this Friday as I have the day offAngry Angry

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 5:54pm
Is swellmap working again? I couldnt see any info on it earlier on this afternoon.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 6:58pm
Yup, all is well again it seems.
Clap

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 7:22pm
Just had a look and it doesnt look like its going properly there is all these red marks where the green ones should be Thumbs Down

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 7:40pm
Looks pretty good to me all red '1's. Now get back to work !

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 7:44pm
Thats why your not as dunk as some tickle pink  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 8:14pm
Ahhhhh so true

-------------

Posted By: U357
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 5:33pm
Does any body have GPS marks for Rylands please?

-------------
404. That’s an error.
That’s all we know.

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 6:46pm
Might have something on a special chart somewhere, I will have a look and get back to you.

I have a feeling it may be around S 39'55.273 and E 174'34.345

-------------

Posted By: Rob Optimist
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 7:54pm
Rylands is quite a big area and there are a few spots around there that fish well. It is approx 20 nmiles west of river mouth and the bits of foul keep going out to Coxs reef which is about another 5 nmiles west. Cruising around there you will find plenty of spots. Any probs pm me and next time I'm up at the boat will send you a couple of spots as starters

-------------
               "attitude is everything"

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 8:29pm
I've always wondered myself.
On a calm day there's usually heaps of boat filing TR's for there, thanks for asking the question.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 6:46am
Thanks Guys, I have gold charts which doesn't show it, I guess that if it is not a raised/lower structure it wont show up, its just thats where the puka live and thats where I need to be

-------------
404. That’s an error.
That’s all we know.

Posted By: west t
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 9:15pm

Hi all, also a wanganui fisho, definately been alot more snapper around this winter particularly pannies. I have been catching them regularly, though not in great numbers out from 4mile reef and upto wai-inu from water between 75-140 feet 22-42mtrs. Also a very nice snapper was caught recently by a local off the fishing platforms in a land based comp for red cod only Cry I think it was around 8-9kg Clap was a photo/story in the local paper.

I have caught a few kingies past couple of years although they seem mainly to be of rat proportions. mine have only been (bycatch) caught on whole baby squid fished on dropper rigs though. A livey mite yield better kingies. Keen to target some this summer.

Caught a big octopus last trip out that had latched on to a just caught very good blue cod both tatsed great and i Hope the summer snapper will think the same of the rest of the octopus

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 11:29pm
Welcome along west t. Great to have some more local imput.
What's your boat?
Maybe we could all meet for a beer'n'bull**** some time this summer.

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 11:47am
Hi there wide load thanks for the welcome, I have a 490 stabicraft great fishing craft but it can be abit hard riding though, no probs if you back off the throttle just takes abit longer getting home.

Due to my work, I see the bar and its conditions everyday im working, and stay just around the corner from wharf street boat ramp. If the weathers right I can set the boat up at lunch time, finish work, go for quick fish and home by tea time. 
 I have found the fishing to be better in the mornings though the afternoons are pretty hard going with alot more spikeys being caught.
The worst? (but still a good) day we've had so far this winter has been 5 teraki and 5 gurnad oh and 100 spikeys.

p.s if you pull up next to a boat thats catching fish please dont drop your anchor, deploy berley then buggar off when all you start catching is spikey dogs stay there and keep feeding them!Big smile 

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 1:52pm
Anchor? Burley/, bait???
I very rarely use theseLOL

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by west t west t wrote:

Hi there wide load thanks for the welcome, I have a 490 stabicraft great fishing craft but it can be abit hard riding though, no probs if you back off the throttle just takes abit longer getting home.

Due to my work, I see the bar and its conditions everyday im working, and stay just around the corner from wharf street boat ramp. If the weathers right I can set the boat up at lunch time, finish work, go for quick fish and home by tea time. 
 I have found the fishing to be better in the mornings though the afternoons are pretty hard going with alot more spikeys being caught.
The worst? (but still a good) day we've had so far this winter has been 5 teraki and 5 gurnad oh and 100 spikeys.

p.s if you pull up next to a boat thats catching fish please dont drop your anchor, deploy berley then buggar off when all you start catching is spikey dogs stay there and keep feeding them!Big smile 

Hi west t, nice to know that someone lives close to the ramp, I will be in contact with you for sea condition reports if that is ok? 

-------------
404. That’s an error.
That’s all we know.

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 5:32pm

haha yea I still use the smelly baits, also been using lucanus jigs they work fairly too. Yet to use softbaits. 

U357 No worries.  Waiting for swellmap to give the green light! Its normally fairly accurate to a degree.

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 6:09pm
Hi west t,

Good to hear from you. Here is hoping this weather passes soon. Its been pretty crazy. I havn't been out for about 6 weeks now.

Axel

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 7:39pm
Welcome West T,
I know how you are feeling Axel Its been too long down here too.

Anchor or Anchor and Bait, definately bait, got to make the boat messy for the person cleaning it whilst I fillet the fish LOL

Hope we all get a reprieve soon.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 7:04am
Welcome West T, I generally give Ken a ring The Baitman in Wharf St known him for years

Amen to that Tangi,
I have got enough Brownie points She wont let you store them, the old story use them or lose them

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 5:46pm
Swell map starting to look more like it. i  spy abit of green light sunday, it maybe coming right.  starting in close then heading out further for a wee adventure maybe on the cards, as the wind seems to be dying right away, its showing a green afternoon off waiinu hole sunday however its early days yet.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 8:42pm
Going to be a very small window

ssued by MetService at: 3:51pm Thursday 13 Sep 2012
Valid to: Midnight Friday 14 Sep 2012

Forecast:
Westerly 15 knots, rising to northwest 30 knots in the morning. Sea becoming rough. Southwest swell in the west, 2 metres easing. Northwest swell 2 metres developing. Fair visibility in morning drizzle.

Outlook:
Outlook following 3 days: Northerly rising Saturday morning 35 knots with very rough sea, easing Saturday evening 25 knots and late Sunday variable 10 knots. Developing early Monday westerly 25 knots,changing late Monday southeast 25 knots. Moderate northwest swell, becoming heavy for a time Saturday, then dying out Monday. Moderate southwest swell developing in the west Sunday.

New issues of this forecast are made available on this site at or before:
2:15am, 6:15am, 2:15pm, 6:15pm
Updates and amendments may be issued at any time.

-------------
404. That’s an error.
That’s all we know.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 1:50pm

Was fishable today had it not been for a bad forecast only just starting to get white caps now, decent swell running with some very decent sets for the surfers.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 9:45pm
Only a very light ofshore at the moment no wind or rain yet maybe a chance of a quick reef fish for tomorrow nites tea. Go the a.b's

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 7:33pm
Anyone get out over the weekend (or anytime in the last while)? 
Just had a look at swellmap and it seems to be improving. Long way out for next weekend, but one can only hope.

I did manage to get the boat out of the shed this weekend, only to pop down to the petrol station and put some air in the tyres!

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 9:18pm

qik report, slept in had a look at 8:45am was pretty good there were some big ground rollers but still as a mill pond otherwise, with a very slow drift. Home at 12 was just starting to drizzle, with 10lb snaper a few gurnad kahawai a cod and some grey boys for fish and chips 

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 7:01am

Well done West T, the joys of living close, Swell map shows 3 greens for Sat out wide looks like me

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 8:47am
I just noticed the same thing miker. 
A lot can change in a week and I can't get out next weekend anywayAngry.

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 9:36am

Dont say that John you might put the old hoodoo on it, think positive !! .50 on the Bar and .60 out wide, ( hopefully )

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 10:31am
Those are my sort of conditions!
I have the following Friday/Saturday set aside for a trip. Fingers crossed for good weather or it'll be a trout trip somewhere.

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 12:55pm

John, do you still take the Flytying classes ?, its been a while since I have been, since I got a boat dont have time for trout now.

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 1:25pm
Hi Mike

I'm struggling to put a face to the name?

Changing priorities, kids, work, sea fishing etc. mean that I'm no longer involved with the MFA club.
I still get the vice out every now and then to fill my own fly box though.

Cheers John

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 6:58am
Hi John, You will remember me as soon as you see me, I am that ugly I am hard to forget, I also met you down the bottom of Ruahine St about 3 -4 years ago, I know that may not help,
and its getting better for Saturday another green box just came up

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 8:32am
All 7's for Saturday now. Lucky you!
3-4 years ago? I can't remember what I had for breakfast!

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 9:51pm
If swell map is telling the truth should be an awesome weekend!!

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 6:51am

Hope so, as I will be on the water

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 10:11pm
Saturday is still looking good, who is heading out?

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 10:38pm
Saturday looks great. I have Friday off and said I'll take my mate out.
Fingers crossed at this stage.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 11:27am
Was glassy calm this morning Wide load, wish it was friday arvo already. Sou east winds now. 

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 3:59pm
Yeah I saw the web cam first thing!
I've put tomorrows trip off until Monday, it looks to be rough for a while tomorrow. The bloody met service have a gale warning!
Now you just watch it all turn to crap for me!

Posted By: scuzzymoto
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Wide Load Wide Load wrote:

Yeah I saw the web cam first thing!
I've put tomorrows trip off until Monday, it looks to be rough for a while tomorrow. The bloody met service have a gale warning!
Now you just watch it all turn to crap for me!
check this out Wide load

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/wanganui" rel="nofollow - http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/wanganui

looks the goods to me.
I will be out there

-------------
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 5:19pm
Hi SM. That website is good, hope it stays good for Saturday as I will be out there.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 6:30pm

I would look at going out tomorrow if i didnt have work, however I will also be out saturday.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 10:37pm
Look forward to the reports!

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 9:32am
So where are you heading West t, I thought about heading Turakina way, or head out to old faithfull the 4 mile reef, I have heard that the surfcasters have been getting a few at Turakina

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 8:22pm
Change of plans for us, heading out Sunday. Good luck to all for the weekend.

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 8:29pm
Will be headin up the coast to waitote area in the morning. Was alot of dirty water pouring down south today.  4 mile reef might be ok, was last sunday.   

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 5:35pm
Went down to Turakina along with 20 other boats, it was real hard fishing, very slow then at about 11.15 the bite came on, mainly blue cod and carrots and 1 spiney came home with a good feed so all good, the sea like glass beautiful, came back to ramp, and Ken was coming in as well, he had not much luck as well.

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 5:51pm
Well done miker, Always good when the sea is nice.
We went down to Mana yesterday and came home with a few puka so we were very pleased.
Heading out early in the morning down here at Tangi.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 6:16pm
me and my mate done pretty well today we got a few teraki with some real beauts also cod gurnad nd 7 good fat pannies. Anyone else see the dolphins? this morning off waitote? was four of them looked to be a smaller one with them

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 6:46pm
Well done Tangi just read your report on the other forum, I havent caught a puka since I was a kid off the back of Kapiti, off the hole in the rock. those were good days late 60's, must get down Mana way and give them a smack I reckon !!

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 9:34pm
Went to Scotts Ferry with the kids this afternoon, paddled the longline out for a total of 4 carpet sharks and a couple of Red Cod. Great afternoon on the beach though. Still planning a Monday trip at Wanganui.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 7:33pm
got out again today got a few good cod a teraki and cple snapper and m8 got first puka albeit a pup first for boat also getting fcv627 should be here tomorrow might make finding them even easier. try and get some pics up it did happen.lol

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 7:55pm

Had some success today, 4 Snapper with a 50cm fish which was a nice surprise. 2 blue cod, the 45cm one that broke my mate’s rod! 1 gurnard. Enough for a feed so pretty happy. Mint day on the water, wind picked up a bit in the afternoon but nothing to unpleasant. Car park was packed when we arrived at 7.30.

Print Page | Close Window