Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 5:39pm

Topic: tropic lightening lures
Posted By: Lickindip
Subject: tropic lightening lures
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 10:02pm
are these still being produced?

are there still many out there?

-------------
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking too much; it scared the sh*t out of me, so today I decided I'm never f*cking reading again!

Replies:
Posted By: Blue Asparagus
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 10:15pm
yeah mate I believe so get hold of catchalot Al and ask him for a email addy I think he has a few lures as well, some of us have little boats in the bath but Al has lures, I dunno go figure navy bloke and all.Big smile

-------------
Ultimate GAME Fishing Adventures. Northland

Posted By: Bigfishbob
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 9:26am
Dave Alty is the man making them, he's in TeAwamutu. He also lists them on trademe as well. I don't have a current number for him but will hunt him down and get one for you.

Cheers
Bob

-------------
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 9:53am
Lew I'll PM you his contact and more info about the lures tonight.

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 10:08am
cheers,
i have just come in possession of 2 - maybe 4
just want to get an ID on them, 1 is a raglan express (as named)

-------------
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking too much; it scared the sh*t out of me, so today I decided I'm never f*cking reading again!

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Lickindip Lickindip wrote:

cheers,
i have just come in possession of 2 - maybe 4
just want to get an ID on them, 1 is a raglan express (as named)

On that note he offers a customisation service as he has several head shapes, so you can pick your head shape and skirt colours and he will even put on your own peronalised names or boat names etc.
That is what I imagine the Raglan Express is.

The original maker was Craig Arfman who was an american mad scientist and was a bit crazy as he used to fish solo and upset a lot of locals in New Plymouth as he used was so secretive. He designed these lures to handle the rough taranaki waters...
I well remember at a Pakula seminar in the late 80's him telling Peter that his system was sh*t and his lures would never work...Wacko

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 5:02pm
Few pics...

The top and middle ones are Taranaki Plungers (head shape name) so as you can see pic your colours for head inserts and skirts...they have a dynamite action bit like a medium kona in my opinion.

The bottom one is called a Straight Shooter...the head shape is similiar to a Zuker perhaps a little longer than a 5.5...it came with blue and lumo and I pimped it with my own skirts and Hawaiian wingsApprove

-------------

Posted By: Bigfishbob
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 8:15pm
Dave Aulty's number is 0275873626

He's happy for it to be posted here in the forum and welcomes any other ineterest in Tropic Lightning Lures.

-------------
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz

Posted By: salty69
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 9:15pm
Thanks Bob, and I can always rely on Al - cheers for that fella. 
Lew, you can contact me on the number Bob posted or 07 8705011 or email  [email protected]
cheers

Posted By: AndreA
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 10:12am
Dave is a great man to deal with i have a number of his lures & it was good to be able to make up my own colors & the price of them is very good.I didnt get many days out gamefishing this season but was very happy with the action of his lures.Roll on summer!!!!

-------------
f*#k it all & f*#king no regrets

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Salty69 Salty69 wrote:

Thanks Bob, and I can always rely on Al - cheers for that fella. 
Lew, you can contact me on the number Bob posted or 07 8705011 or email  [email protected]
cheers

Good on ya Dave you keep sending me those royalties and I'll keep being your sales ambassadorLOLClown

How about a few pics of your latest big gunsApproveCool

-------------

Posted By: ET487
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Few pics...

The top and middle ones are Taranaki Plungers (head shape name) so as you can see pic your colours for head inserts and skirts...they have a dynamite action bit like a medium kona in my opinion.

The bottom one is called a Straight Shooter...the head shape is similiar to a Zuker perhaps a little longer than a 5.5...it came with blue and lumo and I pimped it with my own skirts and Hawaiian wingsApprove

Hi Catcelot, that wings on the bottom lure looks very much like a flying fish we use here on the island.Where did you get that from.Very interesting that lure.Smile

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 3:19pm
[QUOTE=saffayakker] [QUOTE=Catchelot]Few pics...

Hi Catcelot, that wings on the bottom lure looks very much like a flying fish we use here on the island.Where did you get that from.Very interesting that lure.Smile

I will find out as I was given them from the Phantom Deviant I think they originate from Hawaii...

Tom can you answer this?

-------------

Posted By: the angler
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 5:30pm
taranaki plungers and mad scientists , this is a very interesting topic can anyone tell a few more stories about this guy and his catches , allways good to hear some local stories and gamefishing history!

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 5:50pm
Al ,you are probably the best man to provide the initial and no doubt colorful response - maybe I can kick in from when I picked up the moulds, lathe and everything else from a storage shed at the back of Wilkinson Sports in Whangarei in about 2004.

Posted By: mozz
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 6:06pm
You can buy the mylar wings from meltons or basically any Hawaiian fishing store. It's easier to just make your own though by cutting a long triangle out of any piece of shiny plastic

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 6:10pm
Thanks Mozz the pic doesn't show the colours but it is like fine paua/abalone shell colours on a long tapered soft plastic sleeve...very sexyWink

Edit; Just learnt those wings were Williamson, quite old school and doubtful if you can get them anymore, maybe there is similiar in the states these days Mozz?

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 8:14am
how much success did the mad scientist have with his fishing of taranaki??

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 10:11am
Lots, ask some of the ole hands from the sportfishing club mate.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 7:37am

"Raglan express" along the bottom

name required??? ... would it be weighted, need to ask owner if i can deskirt and measure

left to right
Williamson - ??? - ??? - BM small voodoo
anyone got ID's on the middle two?

-------------

Posted By: Weighmaster
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 4:16pm
the brown/gold/black lure on its own is a Super Tube

a very good lure

i have lost three and have two left, they are weighted

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">
trolling one knot faster, one degree off course, is where we should have been yesterday? or !

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Lickindip Lickindip wrote:

"Raglan express" along the bottom

name required??? ... would it be weighted, need to ask owner if i can deskirt and measure

Just had a phone message from Dave to say he is away and can't respond, but if I can to add that it is definitely a Super Tube...Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 10:08pm
cheers for that Al - forever coming to the party!!!
When i picked up the lure moulds etc, there were the best part of 20 different heads in the Tropic Lightning range.  Two of those look suspiciously like the middle two lures in the photo. Whilst i knew the names of the better known head shapes i had no idea what these two (and a few others) were. I ended up calling them Delta Two (long story don't ask)- second from the left and Devon Demon - second from right.  Once I work out how to upload photos I will post a few of those heads.  Hope that helps!!!

Al - how do i get photos on here?

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 7:08am
Follow these instructions Dave;

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/posting-images_topic27461.html - http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/posting-images_topic27461.html

But there used to be rule that you had to have at least 20 posts before you were allowed to upload photos for some reason, I don't know if that it is still enforced.

-------------

Posted By: Brady Rowe
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 7:36am
Hey likindp could you post a pic up of that raglan express please cheers

Posted By: Brady Rowe
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 7:42am
Ive got two of the tubes, they work mint. Have a raglan express too, im  keen to get one of the originals though

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Brady Rowe Brady Rowe wrote:

Hey likindp could you post a pic up of that raglan express please cheers

bottom of page 1
the top of the 3 pictures

-------------

Posted By: mozz
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 9:35am
I'm a sucker for tube lures run of the long corner(I own about 20LOL) You still make them Salty?

Posted By: [email protected]
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 4:54pm
Immmm, its pretty similar to the ones Ive been making for the lads on Ultimate lady.
 ( 2nd from Bottom ) runs mint especially with a big hunk of lead in it..lol

-------------
http://www.blackbillsportfishing.co.nz/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 7:31pm
Here is a few pics of Dave's - Salty69 latest lineup...

Bubbling Billie

Delta One and Moturoa Mauler

Delta Two 1

Devon Demon 3

Egmont Express 1

Happy Dancer 9

Straight Shooter

Super Tube

Taranaki Plunger 1

Taranaki Plunger 2

Taranaki Plunger 3

The Delta One and Moturoa Mauler are both 14in, the rest fall into the 12in category. The Moturoa Mauler, Egmont Express and Bubbling Billie are the same shape just different sizes as are the Delta One and Delta Two.

The Happy Dancer is an extended version of the Taranaki Plunger.

With a few exceptions, these are all lures that had been made with head shape, head colour and skirt colours by request.

And just to mention that the originator designed these for the Taranaki rough water condition experienced on their west coast. Myself I lost my first marlin on a Taranaki Plunger in Angry Squid colours (orange and brown) off New Plymouth in only 90m off the city completely spooled my Penn SenatorEmbarrassedOuch...great luresClap

So if anyone wants a great lure, perhaps customised and personalised with your boat name or Fishnet nicknames, then Dave is your man.Thumbs UpApprove

Something else worth mentioning - a mate of mine managed the Blues last year and I made him up a couple of lures.  The Taranaki Plunger as per photo I forwarded caught Steve Devine (ex All Black and Geoff Sinclair fishing Show

fame) a marlin first time he ran itClapClap

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 7:35pm
where does one buy a taranki plunger ?

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

where does one buy a taranki plunger ?

What do you fancy there Mike and how many would you like as one is never enough?Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 7:59pm
 fancy em all and would like heaps ! mrs may think differently tho !  i reckon every proud naki fisherman should have at least one if only for the name how much are they ? winters good time to sneak a lure or two into the tackle bag aye , do you know if any were more succeseful than others on our stripys ??Wink

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 8:13pm
cheers Al, one day I'll get enough posts on here to load a few photos.

Mike - my email is [email protected] or 0275 873626

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 8:16pm
cheers i will save that ,give you a yell when i have got some spare cash and give one a run next summer Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

fancy em all and would like heaps ! mrs may think differently tho !  i reckon every proud naki fisherman should have at least one if only for the name how much are they ? winters good time to sneak a lure or two into the tackle bag aye , do you know if any were more succeseful than others on our stripys ??Wink

Just my opinion...the taranaki plunger head shape as it is quite similiar to the Kona - Hawaiian head shape as it has a fantastic action of up...splashing rooster tail on the surface...down....smoke trail...wobble and then surface to repeat the cycle...whereas a larger full Kona head tends to swim side to side... oh and one hook a 10/0 forget the doubles.Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 8:45pm
cheers again, this is a bit like a tag team.  I'll flick you a couple of Raglan Express photos when I down load some for you to add.

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 7:35am
sweet i am new to game fishing but most guys i go with dont run any kona heads it will be interesting to see how one goes in the mix i like the sound of the erratic movements and disturbance they cause .

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 11:18am
Originally posted by mozz mozz wrote:

I'm a sucker for tube lures run of the long corner(I own about 20LOL) You still make them Salty?

Have you caught many with them Mozz...any story to tell the class?Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Tone E
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 1:13pm
I'm pretty sure its lightning not lightening

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 4:03pm
From Salty69 who cannot yet post pics so I am his Pimp againLOL

Attached is a photo of one of the very first lures I ever made and the 145kg Stripy it nailed.

The lure is a Raglan Express and was at best pretty rough - vinyl skirts and all!!

But it just goes to show that if you put any lure in the water in the right place and the right time etc you are in with a chance.

Typical big Naki StripeyClap

-------------

Posted By: Dunwurkn
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 10:32pm
Bumping old thread.

Have come across a couple of original tropic lighting lures I don’t need that I bought with some others.

Gifted by craig arfman to previouse owner and   are even skirted Old school vinyl.

One is a tube, unsure of the other model maybe someone can shed some light.

If anyone is interested looking for $60 each.

Cheers

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 10:39pm
As you said, the blue is a Super Tube. The green looks like a smaller version of the Raglan Express. There were about three head sizes in that shape.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 8:10pm
Awesome intel thanks for that.

Why about these ones, no tropic lightning name but from the same lure roll, any familiar head shapes are They tropic lightning?

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 8:21pm
Yup they look like Taranaki Plungers. There were about 3 sizes in that shape also.

Craig was quite random how he branded them.

Some were marked with Tropic Lightning brand on the top of the insert and lure name on the bottom. Others just had the brand name and some had no identifying markings.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 8:54pm
ClapClapAgreed great lure heads...who has them now Dave?

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:16pm
Here's a few more originals.

From the bottom 3 Polaris, then a Taranaki Plunger, a Super Tube, a Raglan Express and the top lure is branded as a Large Swimmer.

Theres a a group of lures finishing on TM in an hour or so and I'm pretty sure there another original in that lot.

Kevin S on here also has a good collection of originals. Pity Craig dissapeared in the manner he did. I'm sure he could tell a few interesting stories. I guess they will now never be told.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:35pm
Very interesting thank you. Those two are slightly different sizes so could be two Taranaki plungers in different configuration.

The gentleman I got the kites from was a member of the New Plymouth game fishing club.

Story goes craig broke down and was given a tow back in. As a thank you a box of lures were passed on.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:36pm
Also to note those two Taranaki plungers Have a few nice bill rashes on them, certainly must do the damage.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:53pm
Craig caught many fish on his lures out of NP. Long time members of the club there used to talk about Craigs exploits. I understand there were also a number of 'issues" that lead to Craig losing interest and heading back to the US. On line media tells a fairly sad story of what happen subsequently.

Anyway getting back to the lures. The Polaris and Raglan Express always seemed to be the most talked about/popular/successful head shapes.

Posted By: Kevin.S
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

ClapClapAgreed great lure heads...who has them now Dave?

That would be me, and these should be heading to my collection tomorrow.  I know some of the story of Harry Craig Arfman, if anyone can fill in the gaps I'd love to hear from you.  He died in 2015, so won't be saying much himself.

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 9:25pm
You guys should make some moulds of the heads - since they aint around anymore.
Here is my version of a lure with wings - in foreground. I call him the 'winged warrior'
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 10:24pm
They are still around, here are the original moulds made by Craig Arfman back in the day.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 10:25pm
I should mention, the two bottom left are not original Arfman lures.

Posted By: Alan L
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 7:36am
Oh wow. Goldmine then.
Alan

-------------
Legasea Legend member

Posted By: Quartermaster
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 2:40pm
i didnt see the Tropic Lightning lures on TM , did they sell ?  wouldnt mind some of the ones i dont have the head shapes for ..... have a collection with some originals and wanting to run a spread from New Plymouth this season ...... just started to work out positions

Posted By: Marlin04
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 9:16am
What happened to him? Anybody know about him now?

Print Page | Close Window