Print Page | Close Window

Inchiku's

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Soft Bait Fishing
Forum Description: Anything to do with this latest and greatest way of catching our favourite species
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74281
Printed Date: 08 Dec 2019 at 8:23pm

Topic: Inchiku's
Posted By: green guy
Subject: Inchiku's
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 6:00pm
Well
i have been playing with these over the last few months a lot and my fishing has been the best it has prob ever been 
i have used soft baits for about 4 years and have had the best fishing with them until i stared to play with the Inchiku lure's a few months back
they have been around for a few years in diffrent styles like the lucanus,bay rubber,power rock g,pirate's but no one really has given them a good bashing IMHO
but none of the slow jigs are even comparable to Inchiku's

Tackle 
I'm using my soft bait stuff at the mo but will deff be moving on to a over head set very soon.
I'm using 10lb stren 25lb Duel fluro carbon on my Shimano soros 3k and a custom rod that i had yeehaa build witch is from the states witch does the damage big time has a wicked action and very sensitive i have been doing a bimini - yucatan or a supper reverse allbright thingi to the trace im running a longer trace around 1.5meter's - 2meter's and tying strait to the Inchiku or to a geni clip with a 5 turn uni knot seams to hold real well haven't had a problem yet.

Size's i have been using are from 20gram-100gram in mainly shallow water water from 3-40 meters (have played with them in work ups but u dont really have to work them) mostly using them in the 60-80gram size and pink,blue,green and a mix between the lot along with skirts in the same color and black glow and gold skirts all working a treat alot more playing to do with the skirts and rigging of the lures.

Action
This one will be different for every body 
I mainly use 3 different types cast out a head of the drift like soft baiting and bounce it along the bottom with slowish raise's up and down while winding in the slack.
Next one i cast to the depth so if it's 20 meter's i cast out say 25 meters click the bail over strait away and work the lure back towards me with a fast lift and a slowish drop all way staying in contact with the lure at all time u dont want slack line when the fish hits u will drop them over and over again as the lure come's vertical i lift fast drop lift fast wind fast up 3 meters then drop again this seams to get the smashing the lures real hard.
Last is drop it back behind the boat and drag it this has been the least successful of all my styles 
i find the second one seams to get the big aggressive hits
all so i have found i do not ever get small fish may be they are intimidated by them or something but if u arnt catching fish on Inchiku's the fish are to small well right now in the channels is what i have found.

i have not been using a sounder at all and have been cleaning up big with the average fish around 50cm so far in the channels i have got fish to 5kg on Inchiku's/jigs im sure there will and have been some epic catch's on these lure's with plenty more to come.

Next time
Rigs,lures, and pic's hands are saw from typing Smile
and the fish pie in the oven is ready
any one want to add to my finding's please doThumbs Up

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys

Replies:
Posted By: falco
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 6:09pm
http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/diy-assist-rigs-for-slow-jigs_topic73395.html - Tie your own assist's

-------------
as dead as dead is

Posted By: Men In Black
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 7:49pm
Nice Mitch, what sort of action is the blank in your rod 75/25 , 70/30 , 65/35....??? There is going to be some debate over what rod action works the best for the Inchiku's.
The Lucanus lures while still a slow jig are know as "Madai", the difference being the size and shape of the body. Inchiku are generally longer and thinner in shape for there weight than that of the Madai. Inchiku's are also are more likely to use a squid skirt with a twin hook arrangement instead of those fiddly soft rubber tails.
There are also some variations of the Inchiku that use a single worm hook or a small trebble hidden in the squid skirt attached to the Inchiku body with a split ring.

-------------
www.synit.co.nz

Posted By: Lethal
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 8:10pm
well sorted GG, nice report...

ive been searching the net because i personally think there is still better bottom bouncing lures out there that can attract fish on the drop as well as attract them with there fluttering movement...
i found this which looks ok for what i am after...

-------------
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

well sorted GG, nice report...

ive been searching the net because i personally think there is still better bottom bouncing lures out there that can attract fish on the drop as well as attract them with there fluttering movement...
i found this which looks ok for what i am after...

Little Jack sinking lures deadly on snapper.......outstanding on the drop and easy to work through the water column...but it is more a stickbait just don't tell the snapperLOL

-------------
www.synit.co.nz

Posted By: The Dog
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 8:49pm
Were'nt Madai lures made for Japanese longlines to over come bait shy fish.??????

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by The Dog The Dog wrote:

Were'nt Madai lures made for Japanese longlines to over come bait shy fish.??????
They are still used commercially by the Japanese long line fisherman... if it works don't change it..

-------------
www.synit.co.nz

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 9:15pm
M I B
blank is 70/30 think i would like to try a 80/20 but 70/30 has been doing the damage anuff soft and anuff stiff
blank is nice and very similar to a bass rod i think.
leathal they look the goods mate similar to these things that greg at go fish has

saw these the other day they look the goods think i will add one two my collection

-------------

Posted By: ReelAppealLures
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 9:35pm
Small typo MIB...

Madai Jig, Madai translated is Red Sea Bream aka Snapper Big smile

Agreed the squid skirts are much more "tough" than the fiddly bits you mentioned... I have used a few of the Inchiku's with the worm hook, Cuda love them on the drop...Ermm

There is heaps of cool stuff out there to try, guess we have been sheltered a bit here in NZ plus bait still works...

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Appeal-Lures/300309486704362

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 9:39pm
great stuff guys keep it coming.

here are some ive tried over the last couple of weeks and they all work great so far...

first of i tried a silly old Lethal that i never use, drilled some holes so i could adjust it till i found the best action....

then i tried a very old lethal which worked excellent, just need to try different tails...

i also found this spinner in an old box, attached a weight and a skirt and gave it a try, bingo snapper on...

like i said to Wee Tin a sinker in front of a skirt should work a treat as well...

-------------
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 7:30am
I do think the skirt is the deference i have thought about doing the same thing lethal with a egg sinker and a skirt.
have been playing with single hook set up's at home yesterday will get some pics up haven't had a chance to fish them yet though but think they will work well  

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 9:21am
Yeah GG, single hooks,
as long as they are not off-set or too large, live bait hooks are ok, they have worked well for us,
we also drop less fish and rarely hook the bottom up when fishing over foul...

just got this in the Email.... http://www.marine-deals.co.nz/shimano-lucanus-jigs - Shimano Lucanus Jigs $9-99

-------------

Posted By: aquacat
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 9:46am
Lethal...as you said about sinker in front of skirt...
My mate visiting from S.Africa were fishing a 4ounch sinker in front of a normal skirts and hook inside and nailed them one after the other

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 11:05am
as u can c i like pink bits Wink
going to go get some more bits to tie some more assist's the jig on the far left hand side i have made a single hook rig the hook is a lil big but will do for now
any one know ware to get some 60gram jitter bugs ???

-------------

Posted By: Tizzy
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 11:20am
Very nice GG. Interesting thread. SmileWhere do you source your skirts?

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 11:22am
i get my from yeehaa they have the best selection **** load of color's and size's

Skirts/assist's 
i have found to be a problem with hooks bending knots coming undone and ****ty assist cord.
the Daiwa assist rigs are the business strong hooks mint skirts and good braid but u can not buy them on there own? Jitterbugs are the same good sharp hooks mint skirts and braid.
Reckon it is worth making your own until some thing comes out that is more suited to our fishing ways
i haven't tried the bottom ships much at all and haven't had a problem with there bigger skirts either but have only used there heavy jigs 

Fav jigs so far 
has been the 80gram Jitter bug blue with pinkish blue skirt,60gram pink prowler with pink skirt,daiwa pirate 80gram in yellow/pink and silver/blue haven't had to change any thing on the jitter bugs or the daiwa's the prowlers i had to strait away and power jig ones assists had a bit of a poo as well but the jigs them self's are good

-------------

Posted By: Ell-nino
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 8:44pm
Great thread GG - I've got a couple of lucanus, crazy charlies, inchikus and even a few sabres rattling around my tackle box. I'm gunna give your second action a real good try on my next mish. thx again

-------------
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 9:53pm
GG, like the look of those from Go Fish,

Greg is onto it, have know him since when he owed "Drum Tackle" Whakatane many years ago,
guy that knows his stuff especially when it comes to new innovated products....
if he has those instock i am betting they work....

funny how the trends go round, because many years ago i designed something very similar,
which look like that.. will see if i can find a pic of them...

very old, like 20 years ago so excuse the marks in the chrome....
might have to pull them out and give them a new lease of life...

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 10:16pm
Yup gona give these a try next week lethal 
i have used small jigs a few years ago and it is all so pritty cheap once u have set up especially this time of the year i am keen to c what results i get in the winter out wide in the deeper water rather than peak season 

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by aquacat aquacat wrote:

My mate visiting from S.Africa were fishing a 4ounch sinker in front of a normal skirts and hook inside and nailed them one after the other

Hi aquacat, that is interesting, my suspicions were correct then, they are attracted to the skirt not the weight... 
my intention now is to get that metal peace infront of the skirt to flutter like the jigs of old and we should have the ultimate weapon, in fact i cant see why you cant hook one of these up to some of Chris Wongs Zest jigs in the light weight and start nailing snapper in the harbours....
20years ago you couldnt miss getting a feed infact it was too bloody easy....

-------------

Posted By: aquacat
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 10:37pm
Hi aquacat, that is interesting, my suspicions were correct then, they are attracted to the skirt not the weight... 
my intention now is to get that metal peace infront of the skirt to flutter like the jigs of old and we should have the ultimate weapon

[/QUOTE]

Paul (Wee Tin) took some pictures of what my mate was using. He will probably post something later.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 10:42pm

Originally posted by aquacat aquacat wrote:

my intention now is to get that metal peace infront of the skirt to flutter like the jigs of old and we should have the ultimate weapon, in fact i cant see why you cant hook one of these up to some of Chris Wongs Zest jigs in the light weight and start nailing snapper in the harbours....
20years ago you couldnt miss getting a feed infact it was too bloody easy....

Pretty much what i was thinking lethal it is more the skirt than the weight but i think the action of the weight helps a lil on the drop i am going to rig up some of my lighter 60gram knife jigs with some squid skirts and c how they go on Wens

Any one used those Franky jigs that are out they seam to come in some nice light weights to 20gram

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 11:41pm
yeah in all fairness GG, i should point out up here in the Bay of Islands we have to innovate a bit due to no work-ups that have snapper congregating underneath them, plus the fact you get an armada of boats fishing the low foul on the GPS charts...
so the reason i need the snaps to nail these things on the drop more than guys fishing the inner Gulf...
find low foul, which there is lots of, once you have sussed that out, then find a school of bait fish, get up current and bomb them...
depending on wind you might get a couple of shots before having to relocate....
but the bigger fish i have found are taking them on the drop, hence they are well off the bottom...
personally i am enjoying the challenge and the size of the fish is good 6-12lb, considering how bloody tough it was at first when i arrived....

-------------

Posted By: Wee Tin
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 2:04pm

Good Thread GG.  Thanks for starting it so hopefully we can consolidate and share our opinions on these lures.

Above photo is Herman's alternative.

The 4 oz bean sinker was not free swinging as it was cinched down to the Albie lure with 3 small 1/16th oz split shots.  So no toothpick required.

Tough day last Sun (08/01/12 ) with no current, drift and wind as the sunset over AKL City and we were in this type of conditions below.  Metservice had as usual suggested Gale Force warnings.  It was a pleasant evening puddling around off Sergeants in The Sands.  Should have listened to Guru Lethal who had suggested giving it away for a couple of days until the tidal flow got going.  But the "force" is strong and when Aquacat's txt arrives it was a matter of why not.

It's not often you'll see Marcelle (Aquacat) using a Rodholder.  At one stage during this session (16:00 - 21:00) the joke was maybe the 40+ Whitebait spotted hovering nervously beside the Cat could be the only fritter that we would be taking back in the chilly bin.

Herman's inventiveness was however not tolerated after the "Mud Fishing" Mepp Spinning lure he had attached in a similar style to try and generate more movement in the listless tide spun tightly instead into mine and Marcelle's braided lines.   He received the caustic bite of my tongue as that bloody contraption was promptly banned.

From examination of the results to date and in discussions with Marcelle (Aquacat), Nik (Snap) and John (PDS) we are all of the same opinion that the Skirt is a key attractant.  Although Snap also believes that the actual lure is just as important.  As even a butter knife jig a la Damo's challenge catches them when they are on the bite.

I'm also of the opinion that Inchikus are not the panacea or "Silver Bullet" for opening up Pandoras fishing box!  It's just another technique to utilise.  Most certainly they work but it's still fishing in progress as we persevere with using them in a variety of conditions and tides.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 9:12pm
agree Wee tin defiantly not Pandora's box but another thing for us to add to our tackle box's 
have found last week was not so hot for me on the inchiku's even swapped over to softie's yesterday after the metal not working.
Again pretty lazy current witch i don't think help's at all i think snapper in general like current flicked to softies and they only wanted to hit them on the drag behind the boat.
Did get a nice size thresher shark at church on a blue J bug wicked looking shark it was!
no fishing for me this week the black floppy is in the shop getting some leaks fixed Cry

-------------

Posted By: brmbrm
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 10:55pm
Thing 1. I have done well on a bottomship orange/red jig with red/brown skirt. the jig is now so chewed up it is mostly silver, so the skirt is te thing? the skirt is also cheed up but sewn back together. seems to catch more than my others, but maybe that is becauise I believe in it????????

Posted By: brmbrm
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 10:57pm
Thing 2. how to attache the lure to the main line? I just use uni-knot, but that means re-tying every lure change. tackle man said split ring plus a ring, but thats a pain to change. Someone above I think suggested genie clip - any good? Anyting else? 

Posted By: Capt Asparagus
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 12:32am
I was using genie clips for poppering this last trip to the Sols, caught all sorts of species on poppers and small stickbaits, sebiles etc, all attached by genies, no problems at all.

Posted By: MR D
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 8:53pm
thanks for that green guy going to give mine a good go tomorrow, usually I just try 2 or 3 drops then go for the softbaits as every one else is catching except me, will try them on my softbait rod so I can cast ahead of the drift and not just dump it straight down. I have some Rock G's in 15 and 70gram red/gold and paua coloured with pink white squid. 

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 9:11pm
Used the Jarvis walker "Intruders" for the 1st time on weds when out with Billy Ho. Got kahawai, Slimey Macks, Jack macks, snapper and rat kings, the Intruders just kept the fish coming along great guns. Fishing at anchor with burley pot down, using a small baitcaster set, it was a hoot...
... I was stoked with these slimeys, great size for cut baits. I was pleased to get such a good specimen shot.

... Bill with one of the many snapper on the Intruders. This was a 40gm version.

I am also going to grab a bunch of the big 300gm ones.... that is 12oz I think in old money, make a perfect puka sinker for 100-150m waters, and being lumo and with assist hooks on them, may pick up the odd fish themselves too! ;-)

Posted By: MR D
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 9:50pm
Hey Capt looks like I may be tying mine on at the wrong end I tied them up by the eye, something else to try tomorrow

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 8:28am
Hey guys got some of the new skirts from ocean angler what can i say wicked skirts color and the best braid and hooks.
IMHO they are the best spear skirts u can buy go get em they fit every inchiku lure not just the j bugs

-------------

Posted By: Phishpula
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 3:01pm
Has anyone else tried the squid slow jigs from H & F they look the part and they swim on the plane of the head vanes if that makes sense. They dont go so they swim horizontal. Horrible trebles though. Got three snaps on one today before I put it away.

-------------
Turtle free since 2012

Date Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 7:58pm
you talking about these Phishpula???

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 1:36pm
Almost there lethal but a bigger head and more body to it. Metallic ginger paint doesnt show up too well.

-------------
Turtle free since 2012

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 2:22pm
Sexy little critters, ain't they. Be dynamite off the fads in the sols when the tuna are smashing the small squid....

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 3:09pm
now they do look great, top half definitely looks like a squid head....
the treble is just a cheap way to rig it, also makes it easy to loose...
a two hook rig, would sure make it worth while i am sure....Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 3:42pm

Apologies for the murky spa. This is me just lifting it up and down - it has a mind of its own LOL

-------------
Turtle free since 2012

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 4:05pm
You need to put more chlorine in that spa man, if you got tadpoles like that in there.....

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 5:33pm
your funny as Capt....

like the way it moves forward of itself, good little test Phishpula...
still reckon that treble has to go,LOL...

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 5:55pm
remember these Capt????

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 5:59pm
i have been playing around in the garage going though all the old stuff ive accumulated over the years...
some i have redressed some i have just drilled holes in to attach the new style hooks and skirts....
all good fun, now to find out if any work...

here are some pics of them...

the first is from 20plus years ago when i was making jigs.
its now converted over to this, who knows might work...

this one is tiny soft/bait from old school...

the one below is just made out of a couple of old tuna sized skirts cut down...

this yellow one is slightly bent like a Banana so should wobble and hang-up on the drop..

some are quite small, but this bottom one is about 20cm long and has a 6oz tear drop sinker attached...
will try it deep water bottom bouncing, i can see the eyes come back up flat as due to the pressure...
or it may get hit by a King going down...
will let you know if any work....

-------------

Posted By: PDSquid
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 7:13pm
pretty damn cool EricThumbs Up

-------------
gunjack all the teke

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 7:32pm
Yes Eric, Steve Badmans "Demon tackle"... hell, I still have one of those somewhere.... dammit, but where... ummmmm.... among the dozens of tackle boxes I have scattered about. I got a couple of fish on that in the tropics yonks ago, and I think I tried it on Skippies out on a trip on Zambucca and had some fun.
That bottom one you show in the pics, perhaps replace the split ring with a solid ring would be better? I just don't trust tying to splits any more, had a split ring chew out some heavy assist cord a while back, got me wondering what that was going to do to nylon....

Posted By: PukeFisher
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Phishpula Phishpula wrote:

Almost there lethal but a bigger head and more body to it. Metallic ginger paint doesnt show up too well.

What brand are these ? lokk the goods

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 8:22pm
i certainly like those PF, Thumbs Up

i tried that Banana Bender Yellow thing today and it worked a treat, 3 fish in 3 drops,
nothing big though, all went back...
i think it has potential,
even works well in the rod holder, stays down due to its weight, and the swinging motion makes the skirt wobble from side to side without the angler having to move it....
some more testing and a little refining it could be a winner....

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 12:17pm
These look interesting

-------------
Turtle free since 2012

Posted By: Blue Asparagus
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 12:46pm
during the nationals we would catch dinner each evening and it was great to see the different styles, we had all the usuals out same as what you see here and they all worked but I have to say Moocha was just using a soft bait and out fished all of us and the biggest also came on the softees.

Posted By: Moocha
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 1:32pm
That was a hoot mate, how many fish did I bloody lose though with that rooted braid  Cry

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 1:43pm
very true BA, hard to beat a softie, especially a Zman...
but the right time and right place the other types can also produce good catches....

these new style Inchiku's are great and interesting to use,
also they are heavier than a normal jig/head which makes them easier to use in deeper water....

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 11:16pm
Got this colourful lil critter last weekend.... mind you, was cheating, and using a little bait to spice it up a little.....

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 12:27am
anyone used something like this?????
combination of a Inchiku's/skirt and a jig/head....

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:19am
I had a bunch of tubes, but never really scored much on the larger ones.... but the small little 1" ones I used a lot for catching macks out at white at night, and rudd in karapiro. The jig heads I had back then never held the tubes on properly on the bigger versions, haven't tried them recently with a better range of more appropriate jig heads though. No reason why they wouldn't work though....
I always kinda liked the idea of being able to squirt some heavy fish-oil paste into the tube as an added stimulant.....
For those that don't know, those tubes are hollow.

Posted By: fish i
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:40am
I have, think they call them softbaits.

-------------
6th place in the inaugural Te Kauwhata Regionals paddle crab division

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 12:21pm
can definitely fill those tubes up Capt A,
only thing i can see as a draw back is the skirt is not free swing as much as if it was attached to cord like on a Inchiku's...
but hell if it works then it could be just as durable as a Zman soft/bait...

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 3:12pm
Eric, the ones you have used, have the skirts separated and puffed around in the current as nicely as you would imagine? The ones I had never seemed to quite do the bizzo as I'd have liked it, the plastic of the "skirt" seems to cling together too much. If you wanted to really really spend a lot of time on them, I'd say going thru them and removing every other strand in the skirt would improve the action of the tail a lot. I will have to hunt up the boxes I had me old soft plastics in I guess! Damn, now where the heck would they be now... :-)

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 5:39pm
i whip this up in a couple of minutes, after putting the skirt on i jammed a soft lumo bead up behind it,
no way in hell will come back down now...
should wave pretty freely considering,
i am thinking this is getting more like one of Uncles Skippy lures and why wouldn't one of his lures work on snapper...

-------------

Posted By: Tipper
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 6:02pm

i whip this up in a couple of minutes, after putting the skirt on i jammed a soft lumo bead up behind it,

I'm liking this, will have ago myself tonight :)

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 7:09pm
Yea boy
I like it

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 8:09pm
I have a few like that I have yet to give a proper shot, I picked up a few bags of the little 2" skirts on sale at Sunnys in whitianga. I also used those SB hooks from berkley that ...ummmm.... how to describe them, they have a strong, straight-eyed hook ( ie, with a lead SP "holder" just behind the eye) that I rigged up as small small kahawai lures for flicking around or trolling on light spin tackle.
I like the look of them anyhow....

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 4:04pm
Just fossicked these out of the tackle box after the weekend mauling by the kids on the beach at the KWC :-)

the little skirts all came from sunnys. The blue one is the one that is on the really heavy berkley hook with the lead SP holder (as opposed to a jig head). They are a very solid hook, I think they have them for folks to use with those cyclops style rigs? All the hooks I have though are at the beach in otehr boxes, so can't show you exactly what I mean dammit. However, the lead inside the skirt holds the skirts onto the lures very well, better than the jig-heads seem to anyhow.
You can alsosee how bad weather and bored effects me... I painted most of my jig heads with nail polish! :-)

Posted By: EditB
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 4:38pm
I think the hook you've used is an Elevator Hook Stu.
http://www.purefishing.com.au/terminal-tackle/nitro/elevator-hook-rig/ - http://www.purefishing.com.au/terminal-tackle/nitro/elevator-hook-rig/
http://www.purefishing.com.au/terminal-tackle/nitro/nitro-elevator-heads/">

-------------
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 4:43pm
cant see why they shouldn't work Capt A....
ohh so you just had nail varnish in different colours sitting around???Shocked

i just popped into one of the local tackle shops and ordered some small coloured skirts, hopefully i will get them soon...
funny as, was the guy that has just opened a new shop here was a fishing mate 20plus years ago, just shows how small the country is, from AK to Napier and now Kerikeri...
weather is certainly boring....

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 4:48pm
like that EditB, that set-up would give you the best of both worlds jig/head set-up with a cyclops weight, brilliant idea... 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 5:13pm
yup, thems the buggers! Good hooks, very solid.
Hey, I didn't just have that polish lying around, when I was with the girls on one of their compulsory shopping trips, they hauled-to at one of the nail polish stands at the warehouse.... while I was standing there, I thunked..."hhmmmm.... gold fleck paint.... hmmmmmmmm pink and silver flecked paint.... HMMMM!" and for the massive investment of $5 a bottle, I had one of those "what-the-hell" moments.... now i got the purtiest tackle box in town! :-)

Posted By: Amateur
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 7:22pm
I remember SYNIT marketed that exact hook here a couople of years back but didn't keep them coming unfortunately, brilliant hook/keeper combo. The 5/0 is perfect for little grub tails and minnow type baits. I'll order some from purefishing.

-------------
No half measures!

Posted By: Keith C
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 10:33pm
I have been experimenting for a while and have been pleasantly surprised by the success of some of the trials. Lures cost about A$1 a pack while browsing through some Ozzie tackle shops. I have found the longer and slimmer the tassles, the better they work. I have also got into the habit of slipping the hook through a tassle to keep the lure shape better on the worm hook. Free-swinging head helps with movement.
Skirts with 100g jigs to give proportion. Bigger skirts are 12cm.

Some rigs made

Success!

There are few things more satisfying than when you try making something different and it works.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 1:36am
well done Keith,
glade to see someone out there is thinking plus testing there inventions...
i think most Kiwis are pretty good at doing/thinking about it just a matter of getting "A into G"...
i can see they have plenty of movement behind the weight that takes them down....
pretty sure this is what would be the down fall of the jig/head with skirt, not enough movement, i will still give it thrashing once the mud clears up here...

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 12:41pm
When out off papamoa today and ended up with limit bag of snappers up to 54cm, few KY to 60cm and a trev. Tried for the first time a Jitterbug Inchiku. It accounted for the first 5 snapper in quick succession, 1 KY and  trev. So I can confirm that these work well here in the Bay of Plenty in 20-25m of water. Definatley work while having on e of these in your collection.

-------------
Turtle free since 2012

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 3:19pm
which end did you tie onto Phishpula????
love em aright, they defintely work a treat and dont break the bank to buy...

looks like a good session you had there Phishpula...Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 3:27pm
At first tied onto the middle ring. Then on the heavy end when I got tired.Big smile Shame I was Nigel nomates in the yak but oh so peaceful. Even the penguins were quiet today.

-------------
Turtle free since 2012

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 2:47pm
If you attach two floats to two floating hooks to the top section of an inchiku when you jig it upwards would it now look like a swimming squid? As a stationary position would have the top hooks float upwards and movement forward would make them suddenly jerk down. Yes there may be issues with having four hooks on one jig but with some lumo tube and slightly thicker cord it could be worth a try? 

-------------
Turtle free since 2012

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 3:21pm
interesting Phishpula,
after watching a guy fly fishing a few years age while we drifted in 30mts of water quite a bit of current as well he was pulling as many snaps up as i was on that fly made mainly of white chock feathers...
now he was good USA fisherman using a sinking lead line all line kept in a basket on his waist so no mess...
what i am trying to say i guess is anything when presented right will attract fish, i cant see why yours will not work either, but the tangles may be a hassle after a fish attacks it...
one on the trace a bit further up might be more appropriate, like a dropper...

-------------

Posted By: Keith C
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 3:32pm
You never know what you will get with these things!

Posted By: 1Daz
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 12:48pm
That is an awesome photo Keith.

What weights are you guys generally using in about 30 - 45 meters? Or is it just current depending? The lighter the better you think or is there a favourite weight?

-------------
Go the Warriors!

Posted By: EditB
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Phishpula Phishpula wrote:

If you attach two floats to two floating hooks to the top section of an inchiku when you jig it upwards would it now look like a swimming squid? As a stationary position would have the top hooks float upwards and movement forward would make them suddenly jerk down. Yes there may be issues with having four hooks on one jig but with some lumo tube and slightly thicker cord it could be worth a try? 

Do you even need to have hooks on the top skirts? It's all just flutter attractant right, so ditching the hook will mean less weight and more float.

At which point, I'd be looking at finding a suitable flashy material that floats and incorporating it into the jig head, leaving the trailing jighooks as the are.

-------------
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 4:14pm

Take one sinker stolen from Uncle
Take one Gammie live bait hook
Take one UV Squid lure with cool colours

and you have a Finn Lure

-------------
Turtle free since 2012

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 4:25pm

-------------
Turtle free since 2012

Posted By: C A
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 7:22pm
good tuna trolling lure those Cool 

good for when cuda turn up too

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 9:11pm
Phishpula....why do you have a window in the side of your spa bath? Hmmmmm..... :-)
That little lure, looks good, but..... just wondering, would it be better off to have a slightly longer shank on the hook so that the point had a better gape, to allow for a clearer hook-up perhaps? Very sexy looking little lure though, I must say....

Still damn curious about the window in the bath though.....

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 10:14pm
Here ya go Lethal, I was just going thru some old pics from my kimberley trip, and found this one....:-)
....that Demon Lure you had pictured a page back! :-)

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 1:00am
yeah thats the one Stu....
that a trev???
what happened to that chap???
he gave a few around to see how they would work in NZ waters...

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 9:47am
That one and its brother ...ummm... gave their lives that otehr lures may last a little longer. That was at the lacipede islands in WA, and in that one morning I lost...I think.... 17 lures. Including the two demons. Spanish mackerel were dynamite, and they were not hitting the lures as much as biting the line where it was racing thru the water lifting a wake after other fish had hooked up! Not a lot you can do about that really.... :-)

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 7:56am
Inchiku day for me today I have some nice new 10grm 20grm 30grm
Form the boys at yeehaa these things look the goods very high quality
Will wack some pics up tonight

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 4:21pm

My trusty jitter bug lost its skirt so I am trying a new UV variety to see if there is any difference in hookup

-------------
Turtle free since 2012

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 5:38pm
will be waiting to see how this turns out, good thinking Phishpula.....

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 6:52pm
Its a disease..its now spreading to my jigs or are they now large inchiku's ...someone make it stopLOL
Matching UV colours. 

But my next plan will be getting some of these  http://www.yeehaa.co.nz/carpenter.poppers_8.html - http://www.yeehaa.co.nz/carpenter.poppers_8.html   And doing the same with two UV squid skirts stuff some Special Sauce up the skirt and see what happens...

-------------
Turtle free since 2012

Posted By: Fishing Addiction
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 8:21pm
have you given the uv ones a try? Must admit to putting a squid skirt or 2 on 100g jigs

Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:34pm
looking good Phishpula....
they keep calling you, better loose some to cout's so you can make more....

-------------

Posted By: kadin32815
Date Posted: 18 May 2012 at 9:07am
Hey guys cool thread after reading it last night i had a play around this is what i came up with. Don't think they really count as inchiku jigs more like slow jig meets cyclops meets soft bait but its all i had to work with.

top one is 40 grams and bottom is 20 grams with a grub on the new worm hook will give them a go tomorrow

not as flash as yours but i think the extra dangley bits should get a few more hits than just the jig head.

Posted By: of2fsh
Date Posted: 20 May 2012 at 7:45pm

500 gram inchiku jig,worked well on the bass and kingies at the 3 kings,custom made assist hooks and rigged on 130 pd leader and 37 kg braid.got down 100 mtrs no worries

-------------
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition

Posted By: Finatic
Date Posted: 22 May 2012 at 3:13pm
Bought my first inchikus today. Couple of 60g Jitterbugs (blue), 40g Pro Hunter Prowler (pink). Looking forward to giving them a go this weekend.

-------------
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.

Posted By: Fishing Addiction
Date Posted: 22 May 2012 at 3:23pm
jumped on the ship finatic. find some sign. straight to the bottom. 3 or 4 slow winds and that should get them. or slow mechanical jig if they are a bit more fiesty. keep line vertical at all times. 60g is my go to weight. blue jitterbug will be my first pick. especially under work ups

Posted By: Finatic
Date Posted: 22 May 2012 at 3:29pm
Cheers for the tips FA. Have a copy of the latest NZ Fishing World mag which has a bit of a guide to them too.

-------------
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.

Posted By: Mahiman
Date Posted: 22 May 2012 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

500 gram inchiku jig,worked well on the bass and kingies at the 3 kings,custom made assist hooks and rigged on 130 pd leader and 37 kg braid.got down 100 mtrs no worries
Ahh been waiting to see if these worked, is this one of the giant Jitterbugs I gave Justin??

Posted By: cod
Date Posted: 22 May 2012 at 7:50pm
they worked good paul,had plenty of fun with them

Posted By: of2fsh
Date Posted: 22 May 2012 at 11:15pm
Your onto a winner there Paul ,very good lure and gets down in 100 mtrs easily

-------------
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition

Posted By: Fenien
Date Posted: 23 May 2012 at 7:51am
The small inchikus work pretty good too.Thumbs Up

Posted By: kadin32815
Date Posted: 23 May 2012 at 10:05am
http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/fishing/salt-water/jig-heads/auction-477629509.htm - http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/fishing/salt-water/jig-heads/auction-477629509.htm
these look the goods for the price even  tho they are unrigged.

Posted By: Slyde
Date Posted: 23 May 2012 at 10:10pm
I'm starting to get the hang of these jitterbugs, caught 9 fat snaps and a JD on the hooks bay reef last sunday on 80 gram green lure using my overhead soft bait set - curado and backbone elite . The rod seems a little soft for this weight at 35 metres depth, so what gear are you experts recommending. I'm looking to get a more task-specific rod but can't seem to find much good advice.
Cheers
Slyde

Print Page | Close Window