Print Page | Close Window

Shimano Stradic CI4

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Soft Bait Fishing
Forum Description: Anything to do with this latest and greatest way of catching our favourite species
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74212
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 11:45pm

Topic: Shimano Stradic CI4
Posted By: Zeta
Subject: Shimano Stradic CI4
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 1:14pm
Hi all i'm looking at purchasing a Shimano Stradic CI4 reel either the 2500F or the 4000F,i've read conflicting reviews on the net re their quality i.e some say they are prone to flex ,their bail arm is not the best etc,if anyone has fished with a Stradic CI4 reel i'd appreciate your opinion regarding their quality/issues if any.

Cheers
Ron

Replies:
Posted By: fatjimmy
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 3:16pm
I have a stradic 4000FJ and it is amazing- delt to a 17lb snapper yesterday. i did look at the CI4- but research told me the same problems you are talking about..
The CI4 got some real crap reviews in the USA.. thats what put me off.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 3:20pm
Cheers Jimmy

Posted By: ponty
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 3:45pm
I have the CI4 4000, has been great so far. Even managed to get a 2m bronze whaler to the boat yesterday. regards to the handle i hear it is the same as the fireblood which is the old stella, so my thinking is it should be fine. However FJ are cheaper but heavier so really is a very good option to look at.  

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 4:25pm
Thanx Ponty,if u got a Bronzie up the 4000 must be Good is that on Braid ?,you haven't felt any flex with the bail arm or body?

Thanx
Ron

Posted By: ponty
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 4:52pm
it was 8kg braid. so that was alot of fun. Nah no flex however i have only had for a few months, but for me i can only speak positives about the reel. Just love how light it is compared to other softbait reels without having to go to the 2500

Posted By: Nomis
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 5:29pm
Hey mate. The bodys do allow for flex but you need to be putting alot of hurt on the reel to feel this happening. Ive only fished with one 3 times now I really like it, very light weight being a carbon infused body they are imperious to corrosion so thats great if your going to be using them in a kayak or a small boat where it may get the odd drenching. The Fj's are a cool reel not yet fished with one but maybe worth looking at if the flex from a Ci4 puts you off - keep in mind they are designed to do this but it needs a lot of load before you would even notice, I havent noticed any what so ever.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 5:53pm
Thanks Ponty and Nomis,i think i'll get a 4000 CI4 sounds like a goer , Thanks for the info Guys.

Cheers
Ron

Posted By: Fishing Addiction
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 9:06am
I looked at the ci4 but after numerous bad reports decided on a pflueger patriarch. lighter but with none if the issues described. check it iut before ya junp into the ci4

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 12:56pm
Hi ,Yes i'll do that i have been reading about them and their rods as well.

Cheers
Ron

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 3:17pm
Fully reccomend the rod as well. do not.own one unfortunately but had a play with with and they are awesome as rods. As for the reels they are light as which gives you super sensitivity . they are smooth as. the bail arm is the best you will find on any reel. in fact could reccomend it just on that feature. for soft baiting wherr always casting and flicking the arm open and closed you will feel the difference. the extra width makes it real nice but its hollow so light. the handle feels so so much better than a ci4 too. only thing is just that they need to be looked after like any reel so give it a wipe down after use with dry cloth and maybe inox. oh one more thing, the spare spool makes it easy to change between different lines. get the patriarch 9535 or 9540 model

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 11:00pm
Cheers Man,i will get a 9540 loaded with 4kg braid and a 3-7 kg XTR rod i'll be looking forward to testing the combo out ! Thanks for the advice !.

Cheers
Ron

Posted By: tas-tackle
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 1:51am
Have a Pflueger Patriarch 9540 on Synit GTS 4-6 kg....  Nice colour match up and enjoy using it for the softies.. Just got to keep em clean and a regular service...  even tho they have a sealed carbon drag system..   8 pound on the spare and 6 pound on the original spool...

-------------
http://postimage.org/" rel="nofollow">
http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 8:31am
Ron let me know how ya find it when ya get the chance to slay a few. you will love it

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 10:52am
Hi fisher sounds like the same setup line class wise i'll have ,6 and 8 pound all Good for you?,Fishing Addiction i'll let you know how the setup went once it's been christened.

Ron

Posted By: tas-tackle
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 11:48am
Zeta...   yup.. reckon  they ideal line weights for softbaiting..  some guys use 4 pound but I like a few in the bin LOL  I use overhead for deep water setup...

-------------
http://postimage.org/" rel="nofollow">
http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz

Posted By: Moocha
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 12:37pm
What is the drag and bail arm like on them *Fisher*, I still use the Twinpowers  but the roller is a bit small on the bail and my ham fisted knots get stuck  on the lil 2500

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 2:22pm
Im using 8 pound on my main spool but never been pushed to its limit. Rod is a 4 to 7kg. next spool will be 6 pound. i have the 9530 so the smaller one and drag is sweet. the drag on the 9535 and the 9540 is much higher so you will have no issues. the line rollers are really hood too. hard to fault really

Posted By: Moocha
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 12:59pm
sounds good, what is the 6/8Lb line capacity out of interest ?

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 1:45pm
Hi on the 9540 model it's 140 meters of 6kg so i suppose near 280 of the 3kg!?,maybe 230-240 meters of the 4kg braid

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 4:12pm
Hi i've just come across an advertisement in the latest fishing news by the NZ importer for Pflueger and their specs for the 9540 for fireline exceed is 200 meters of 7.5 kg at that rate must be at least 450 meters of 3kg !? and 375 meters of 4kg.

Posted By: scope
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 10:28am
Have owned several ci4's and have had nothing but praise for them in the 2500 size. The stradic is a quality product and a proven workhorse.

The Fj model is pretty decent too, am yet to test out my 3000 on anything decent though Cry

Posted By: metalman
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 4:22pm
Ci4's are the goods imo, light strong corrossion resistant, I caught an 11kg kingi on my 2500 on the weekend and my mate got a 17lb snapper on his 4000, I havn't felt it flex yet, can't beat the 2500 on a light rod, so nice to use.

Posted By: Blindspot
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 5:07pm
I have a Ci4 2500 on a light t-curve, its been great..

I have just purchased a pflueger 9540 and look forward to comparing it.

Posted By: alanimal
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 4:17pm
I also have a C14 on a Veritas rod - awesome setup and landed plenty of big fish!!!

-------------
By and large the reporting is factual, but in a few instances I have claimed the right of readjusting the facts to which every angler is entitled.

Posted By: Kiwis fly
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 6:45pm
Where do you buy the Pfluegers in NZ ?

Print Page | Close Window