Forum Name: Gamefishing Updates and Reports Archive
Forum Description: Key info and threads from previous gamefishing seasons
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70537
Printed Date: 19 May 2024 at 11:45pm

Topic: Gamefishing update 2012 - West Coast
Posted By: Wahoo Woman
Subject: Gamefishing update 2012 - West Coast
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 1:22pm

Well everyone the Game Fishing season is just around the corner so time to start polishing the gear and getting the boat in top condition, here are a few threads for you all to use to make updates about whats happening in your local area.

Good luck and tight lines to all for the upcoming season. Thumbs Up

Replies:
Posted By: Rockstar from Mars
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 8:35pm
Tick Tock......

Posted By: Dunwurkn
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 6:09pm
Went snapper fishing on the west coast on Saturday and saw a white pointer heading wide with a game chair in the back.Anyone on here on the boat?? be interested to here if there was any action

Posted By: Wefaknis
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 7:16pm
what was the fishing like out there on sat.... we went to Tairua and got ziltched

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 8:09pm

Fishing was excellent. limit bags of very nice fish up to 12pound or so.

Posted By: Fletch
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 8:46am
kawhia cop got 2 x 18lbers in 17mtrs........

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: iz
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 5:56pm
off the manukau today snapper on hard, pulled a kingi off the bottom and had a mako trying for a free lunch all in 30m off karekare water temp 18.5 and nice blue, think it might be time to start putting the golds on board.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 12:24am
There were a few boats out wide trying on Friday.Plenty of work ups but no marlin action.But yes your right things are trying to look pretty good for a go.

Posted By: Tinky
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 7:36am
Any tuna (albies/skippies) there yet?

-------------
Have boat - must fish!

Posted By: A C
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 1:45pm
Anyone got the dates for next years W S Lauries Westcoaster ?

-------------
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.

Posted By: RH580ikanui
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 2:50pm
2nd & 3rd of March

-------------
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 4:03pm
Cheers mate. Thumbs Up

-------------
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.

Posted By: billfish
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 5:48pm
Going to give the MSFC-WSLWC a nudge this year Andy?  Choice!  March is a good time.

Its one week before Houhora with Tutakaka Small boats in between I think.   

Now that trifecta would make an interesting 14day adventure.    Hmmmmm.  Ermm

Might be a bit ambitious.   Ditch the middle one.  Maybe the Quinella might be snuck past the War Office.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 7:46pm
Indeed I am Bill, I'll be on leave for a month mid Feb to mid March ......... so a midweek jaunt or two up to Tut's looks on the cards over that month also.

-------------
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.

Posted By: dean.f
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 7:58pm
caught a skippy bottom fishing off port taranaki at 90 m on friday

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 8:54pm
Whoa - that's very promising!!

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Posted By: Tone E
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 7:51am
Got a picture coz I'm betting its one of those slender tuna

Posted By: dean.f
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 10:18am
not a slender mate a skippy and na sorry don't have a pic

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 7:46am
well I never. First I've heard of. A demersal skipjack. Sure it wasn't a big slimy?

Posted By: doncod
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:16am
wouldnt have thought 90 m was that demersal ?

Posted By: wanabe
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 1:58pm
A local person told me  that there where 2 marlin caught on the west coast  and there are loooots of skippies at the 80 mtr mark straight out

Posted By: Lickindip
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 3:05pm
to be fair we caught some HORSE yellow tails on saturday out @ 60-80m off the port
surly not mistaken for coke bottle skippies? told my mate to hold onto them for pitch baits

-------------
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking too much; it scared the sh*t out of me, so today I decided I'm never f*cking reading again!

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Lickindip Lickindip wrote:

to be fair we caught some HORSE yellow tails on saturday out @ 60-80m off the port
surly not mistaken for coke bottle skippies? told my mate to hold onto them for pitch baits
Yes, off Raglan we got some jack macs the size of a big kahawai - never realised they grew that big - took it home and ate it - very good, too!

-------------

Posted By: Kezza
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by wanabe wanabe wrote:

A local person told me  that there where 2 marlin caught on the west coast  and there are loooots of skippies at the 80 mtr mark straight out

2011/12 #001

Who were the angler (s)?
Which vessel (s)?
what date (s)?
What was the results (s)?
Chinese lures?
Any one-fitty kilogram yellowfin?

-------------

Posted By: gap74
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 7:47pm
Off to the Mokau Trench this friday any one else know of any one heading that way.
Cheers

Posted By: Blue Asparagus
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 7:52pm
that sounds like a bit of fun there Geoff, go make someone or some thing bleed, look forward to the report, hope you nail some thing mate good luck

-------------
Ultimate GAME Fishing Adventures. Northland

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 7:54pm
Been busting a ___ to get out there for a few months now, Was intending to bottom fish but after reading this form we might have to mix it up a bit

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 7:59pm
yeah bro, pays to be prepared, and we all know the west can produce the goods when you least expect it.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:03pm
My Fingers are crossed, im going insane waiting!!!!

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:04pm
Wahoo!!!! my first time posting and i got a reply!!!!

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:07pm
lol no secrets with the blue asparagus bro, I talk to anyone and everyone, what the sites about.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:19pm
True True

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:25pm
mate from work will be heading to the trench from NP early sat morning if weather plays ball. i will be asking may questions on there return

-------------
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking too much; it scared the sh*t out of me, so today I decided I'm never f*cking reading again!

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:34pm
WHats the boat name?? Is there a whole lot of foul south of the trench, sort of like a lot closer too NP? been wondering about that? could be wrong but friday hopefully be the pick of the days. If i havnt got too sorer arms will probibly spend the night there come home saturday

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 10:53pm
not sure where they will be heading as im put of town this weekend
haven't been there before but hopefully some time this season
will try get feed back on what the fishing / temps are out there

-------------

Posted By: doncod
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 7:49am
should be some big eye out there at the moment so leave the lures in til a little after dark

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

Originally posted by wanabe wanabe wrote:

2011/12 #001

Who were the angler (s)?
Which vessel (s)?
what date (s)?
What was the results (s)?
Chinese lures?
Any one-fitty kilogram yellowfin?
probably on an ozzie longliner about 700 miles off the coast...well asked that manClap

Posted By: amity1
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 10:23am

Been out through the Manukau 4 times in the last 3 weeks,55-60 meters got our limit on snapper every time + a 32 pound Kingfish , Last trip out was on Friday, Just north of the bar, 56 meters 20 14 12lb snappers were our best. Herd someone saw a stripie of piha on Tuesday, but Haven't herd of anything caught yet. Tuna fleet arrived up at Onehunga Tues/Wed last week, so the Tuna must be close. Bring it on !!

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 1:13pm
Finally a break in the Weather !!! If anyone's keen to join us, We headn out through the Manukau on Friday avro, for an over night drift at the Trench to see if we can't drag something up from the depths!!!Wink  Will drag some plastic on the way out & back, 3-5 knots on Friday dropping to 1 knot Easterly over night ClapWill be returning to Huia on Saturday.

Posted By: Bluewater5
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by amity1 amity1 wrote:

Finally a break in the Weather !!! If anyone's keen to join us, We headn out through the Manukau on Friday avro, for an over night drift at the Trench to see if we can't drag something up from the depths!!!Wink  Will drag some plastic on the way out & back, 3-5 knots on Friday dropping to 1 knot Easterly over night ClapWill be returning to Huia on Saturday.

Really keen to hear how you go. Please keep us posted.

-------------
I own 501 lures, but i can only run 5 at a time. What to do??? Man I have some sleepless nights!!!!

Posted By: 237 billfisher
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 8:56pm
same here love to follow but cant next time

Posted By: inta game
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 11:46pm
im with ya bro, got the pass.should be a good one. bring it on

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 1:16pm
Buy aheap more boats !!Tongue

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 1:19pm
Wicked bud, I have or 3rd Crew member for the trip, Just need to top up the Big Girl with Diesel &.... oh I better put the Prop back on to LOL  .We'll aim to leave the Beach around 4ish, All good ?

Posted By: -prozac-
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 5:07pm
hmmm we're finishin work tomoro i just found out today so wonder if i should plop the boat in the drink friday and head over the bar for a look

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 5:14pm
Good luck guys go hard,Clap

How many miles to the trench?

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: skidoggg
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 6:05pm
kaipara trench bout 40 miles mokau trench 50 or 60 miles I think which one you goin to amity , am tryin to hatch a plan for Friday out there also will see how it pans out ......

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 6:13pm
headin out with amity , plan is to tow lures to kaipara canyons and set up ther for the night

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 9:14pm

Hey there Skidoggg, Im headn out of thr Manukau & pretty much west. The mark I have where we are going to start our drift  is approx 58km's from south head Im sure it's the Mokau. Would be cool to have company of another boat ! 

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 9:29pm
sorry mate am hopefully just heading out for the day ,tow some plastic , maybe swim a live bait or two..
have done a few broady drifts out the kaipara trench ,one time the breeze came up about 1 am and was just too bad to fish so pulled the pin and anchored off muriwai for the rest of the night , good luck with your mish hope you slay some big ones ...

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 9:38pm
Good luck for Friday, what time you headn back in ? I aim to be gettn in the water by 330-4ish at Little Huia, if yr still out wouldn't mind givn you call on the wireless tro see what happening where?. Weather is looking Magic at the mo, hopefully it'll hold Shocked Long way out to get beat up, can do that in a bar xingLOL 

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 7:00am
hi tide bout 930 so wont be able to put the boat back on the trailer till round 6 pm hopefully with something for the weighstation on board !will keep an ear open boat callsign HOTSPOT WinkPS sounds like alot of sauri around ...

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 9:18am
Yeah Well be going in the water close to Low Tide, So will have to use the Ramp, Dam it. The Boat name is Miss Toronto, Will give you a bell once we've x'd the Bar. You sit on ch# 63 or 81 ?

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 10:21pm
yo bud you there Stevo ?

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 10:29pm
yea mate been packing tackle .. im ready

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 10:38pm

Posted By: otdrmn
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 6:41am
It's a mint looking day out there on the Kaipara boys,

Prediction is Marlin hooked at around 11.37am today......Wink.....
Pissed I cant be out there but have to work today.

Good luck

-------------
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting

Posted By: Wefaknis
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 6:56am
I'll be out there snapper fishing this morn.... good luck boys... just let us know when the blue water starts and were the skippies are... :-)

Cheers Wefaknis

Posted By: Legacy
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 10:41am

Good luck Amity and Inta game , looking forward to the trip report.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 8:11pm
Boxing day to box a 90 kegger

-------------
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 8:16pm
you better or you will feel the back of my handLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 11:41pm

20.5 not quite blue  blue... at 100m manukau ,tidelines ,bait n dolphin there but no sign of skippys yet ,weather was too mint not to have a looksie .maybe they bit wider but we ran out of day after we  spent the morning loading up on snaps

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 11:58pm
on ya mate, who cares you gotta be out having a look while the others sit at home under the thumbLOL
gonna go for a play over next day or so before this tropical hits us.

-------------

Posted By: Te Namu
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 7:39am
Originally posted by otdrmn otdrmn wrote:

It's a mint looking day out there on the Kaipara boys,

interesting looking site there Otdrmn - do you mind sharing the address?

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 10:52am
it is http://www.lineman.co.nz/Weather/index.html - http://www.lineman.co.nz/Weather/index.html
Weather station I have running at home, However it is off line for the next week or so while operations have been transferred to Whitianga. If there is enough interest I can get the house sitter to spark up the computer.

G

-------------

Posted By: ufudu
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 5:42pm

went out to about 100m off Manukau. Turned into a mint day out there. Just like Skidoggg, spent the morning catching snaps and then went to tow some plastic. Lots of birds working, dolphins and ended up with a handful of albies. Had the black & purple Zuker on the short rigger knocked down, never saw the fish but it made quite a hole in the ocean and never came back - quite possibly a mako as we'd seen one cruising along about 5 minutes before - was still a bit of an adrenalin rush early in the season!

Merry Christmas everyone

Posted By: Rat Catcher
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 7:49pm
Went off the Port Waikato beach, motored out to 200m before setting the gear.  Headed out to 1100m north of the Manukau, before heading back to 100m off the port bar.  Came across 4 workups with dolphins and gannets working anchovies, really fishy but no takers.  Most life and blue water from 300m, temp hit 20.7 degrees. A few skippies and albies but they were few and far between.  155nm for the day, 1st day for the season under the belt. 

Posted By: Raging Bull
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 8:00pm
Big effort Rob!

Posted By: Fugu
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 8:18pm

Loving your work, Ufudu/RC. Albies,,,,,it;s a start Wink

Posted By: Double Shot
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 8:47pm
Good stuff Rob, bet you are happy with that....Thumbs Up

-------------
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    

Posted By: Rat Catcher
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 9:34pm

Yep, mean day on the water everything except a stickface.....won't be long tho

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Rat Catcher Rat Catcher wrote:

Went off the Port Waikato beach, motored out to 200m before setting the gear.  Headed out to 1100m north of the Manukau, before heading back to 100m off the port bar.  Came across 4 workups with dolphins and gannets working anchovies, really fishy but no takers.  Most life and blue water from 300m, temp hit 20.7 degrees. A few skippies and albies but they were few and far between.  155nm for the day, 1st day for the season under the belt. 

Good on ya for giving it a crack Rob, nec timeThumbs Up

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by ufudu ufudu wrote:

went out to about 100m off Manukau. Turned into a mint day out there. Just like Skidoggg, spent the morning catching snaps and then went to tow some plastic. Lots of birds working, dolphins and ended up with a handful of albies. Had the black & purple Zuker on the short rigger knocked down, never saw the fish but it made quite a hole in the ocean and never came back - quite possibly a mako as we'd seen one cruising along about 5 minutes before - was still a bit of an adrenalin rush early in the season!

Merry Christmas everyone

Good effortClap

-------------

Posted By: T_CARP
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 9:44pm
Yeah was a choice day, We certainly covered the miles today rob... Looks really good out wide, wont be long now

Posted By: -prozac-
Date Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 2:02pm
thats a big mish rob, still woulda been good to get out there tho, tuesday down whiti will be my first day out if the forecast stays the same

Posted By: widerange
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 1:47am
Anyone out there today?

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 6:59am
WR - was the plan but decided the window between launch/retrieve from the beach was to restrictive due to big tides and dawn/dusk lows....next weekend wil be perfect.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 7:00am
Wow is that ramp so dependent on tides?

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 9:37am
It sure is Roy .........  Just looking at swell map and after the big snot passes through this week, next Monday says 2knts at the heads. Good tides and a better moon.

-------------
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 9:15am
Finally!got the boat in at mangere bridge and out the gate round 2.
Due west @ 20knots out to 75m where the water just looked sooo good we had to set the gear.
Didn't take long for the first big fat albert of the summer to bloody the deck.
plenty of them and some skippies too.By 90-95m we were amoungst a huge area of bird life and workups coming and going as far as could see north and south and seeing lots of baitballs on the sounder at varioius depths
Around 4 had a bit of a run on the kahawai argonaut,got to the rod in time for it to stop,looked around and there behind the zuka on the rigger,big bright blue fins.gone.
And that was it.
No pictures.nothing weighed,but the party has started
More,sharper hooks?might try that

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 9:30am
That's the report I was waiting for, now can that front pls pish off!!

Posted By: phantomdeviant
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 9:53am
Nice, may have to have a look out the Hoki when I get back home if the east coast still a bit gnarley

-------------
Skirt Pulla

Posted By: Espresso
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 10:23am
Thumbs Up ...the amp has been switched on

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 10:27am
shot WR.....like it! Thumbs Up

good sized albies? any idea what the bait was?

-------------

Posted By: NZTurtle
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 10:33am
Nice WR. Great to get a visual. Share Fugu's thoughts re the fronts...

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 10:46am
Originally posted by widerange widerange wrote:

Finally!got the boat in at mangere bridge and out the gate round 2.
Due west @ 20knots out to 75m where the water just looked sooo good we had to set the gear.
Didn't take long for the first big fat albert of the summer to bloody the deck.
plenty of them and some skippies too.By 90-95m we were amoungst a huge area of bird life and workups coming and going as far as could see north and south and seeing lots of baitballs on the sounder at varioius depths
Around 4 had a bit of a run on the kahawai argonaut,got to the rod in time for it to stop,looked around and there behind the zuka on the rigger,big bright blue fins.gone.
And that was it.
No pictures.nothing weighed,but the party has started
More,sharper hooks?might try that

Nice one brudda....

-------------

Posted By: krow
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 11:08am
Sooooo Close Nice try bud

Posted By: Bushpig
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

shot WR.....like it! Thumbs Up

good sized albies? any idea what the bait was?

Just guessing here and going out on a limb. But I'm going to say the bait was ".......... Fish

-------------
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 11:49am
and that is why you get paid the big bucks champ!....Wink

Oh yeah I think I may need to apologize to whomever it is that has your old cell number....hahahaha.....a few late night xmas 'wishes' went astray by the looks of it.....oh well I'm sure they learnt some new words in the process....PDS' fault!

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 8:17am
The tuna were all round 4 or 5 kg,fat as and full of anchovies about 5 in long

Posted By: H2O_dependant
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 5:05pm
Went out kaipara on Boxing day and headed south to kaipara trench. Trolled from 70m to 110m on way out and picked up for skippies and 1 albie. Fished trench for nothing but sharks, also had 2 or 3 blue sharks circling the boat which we threw a few titbits to. Then gave up on catching a puka and trolled back in at 2pm for a snapper fish. picked up another 10 albies on way in including one quadruple hookup all landed (2 on rods and 2 on bungies). water only reached 19.6 degrees but is looking nice and there seem to be bait around. When these easterlies drop off in next few days might have to head out again and spend more time trolling this time out a bit deeper perhaps.

Posted By: Crazy Horse
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 11:20am
Just heard from a mate in the Nakie that a marlin was caught nth of manakau last week. You boys know anything about this or what.

Posted By: of2fsh
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 11:31am
Rick Pollocks last fishing report on this site mentioned a marlin had been caught off the manukau 

-------------
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition

Posted By: Legacy
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 11:32am
had heard 94kg off the kaipara but wasn't told first hand ,if you know what I mean. Maybe someone from the Miriwai (sp?) club might know ?

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 11:35am
 Got a feeling it's going to be a little busy out there first flat day!

Posted By: sink
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 12:10pm
4th jan- mokau trench

Posted By: cod
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 12:30pm
nothing caught yet

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 12:32pm
What happened to amity and co? secret?

Posted By: the demon
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 2:01pm
father inlaw said was and artickle in the local paper up maungaturoto that there was a stripy caught?I said to him nothing has been caught through a nz council club.
Wont be long ,mighty manukau may be the 1st

Posted By: karm
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 3:12pm
Heading out west over Manukau on Sunday  - spare spot if anyone wants to join us. PM me or call me 0274 812 726...
weather dependant of course  

Print Page | Close Window