Forum Name: Rod Building
Forum Description: Rod building chat here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70390
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 7:52pm

Topic: Show us your rod wrapper
Posted By: Badfish
Subject: Show us your rod wrapper
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 7:56am
Was looking at Smizz' 1st attempt thread and noticed his rather nice rod wrapper in the pic too. Puts my first wrapper to shame. I started out with a cardboard box, I customized my cardboard box, but was still a cardboard box all the same . Took me a while to bother building a wrapper and even then it was pretty limited.

Might be helpful for those starting out and looking to make their own... so lets see em.

If I can find my camera I'll show you a pic of my first Wrapper a la cardboard Embarrassed

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Replies:
Posted By: Xtoad
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 3:05pm
My first ws the cardboard box but only for the first rod.
I upgraded to mark two in wood and while simple was very effective and versatile.
Ran two spools of different sizes at once, used rubber bands to lock, old guides to guide thread and springs to tension.

The lower notches were for holding rods during drying and power wrapping when hooked up to this bad boy....

Uses laptop power source, homemade speed adjustment (notice the custom heat sink!).
Great for drying rods and lures and with a little adjustment could do tiger wraps in a jiffy.

Stu

Posted By: smizz
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 10:15pm

that wrapper you see was made in about 10minutes out of a shelf from some spare lundia i had lying around... im curious to see how you made1 out of a box.... still working onn my drying motor as what i had sorted burnt out after 30min of testing

-------------
When shooting a mime, don't use a silencer or his friends will hear you.
If camera lenses are round why do the pictures come out rectangle?

Posted By: Big -Dave
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 7:44am
I imagine a windsreen wiper motor would be good for this.
Weld a washer in to the bottom of a piece of pipe, then bolt it to the motor shaft.
Whack a 6 mm bolt thru the pipe for the but to nock in to...

-------------
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 12:07pm
this is the wrapper and tensioner i have made

-------------

Posted By: Griffo
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Shrekky Shrekky wrote:

I imagine a windsreen wiper motor would be good for this.
Weld a washer in to the bottom of a piece of pipe, then bolt it to the motor shaft.
Whack a 6 mm bolt thru the pipe for the but to nock in to...

I use a 24V wiper motor on mine. I run it straight off a 6V battery charger and it does about 20RPM and has plenty of torque. I also keep a 6V motorbike battery around in case of a power cut. 

The adaptor is just a PVC pipe vent cover and the rubber bands do the gripping.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 4:49pm
this is what i have ended up using it an old cassette motor i cut away any wires that wern't needed got a usb cable cut 1 end off took away the blue and green wires and then connected power and earth... now it just plugs into my ipod charger and into the wall...its been working fine for the last 3 hours

-------------

Posted By: green guy
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 9:36pm
Wow full on my was two bits of wood with caster wheels and the trensioner is a 3kg chunk of lead screwed into a bit off wood the top cut on a 75deg supper glued a pr bobbin to it works mint get a wicked finish and use it for all my thread art

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys

Posted By: daveo
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 9:17am
Heres one I built on the weekend, Only cost about 15 bucks, still have to do the thread tensioner though

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Tortise01
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 6:55am
You guys are far too clever.

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 7:56am
I use a 24V wiper motor on mine. I run it straight off a 6V battery charger and it does about 20RPM

Alternative  but very similar suggestion.. car electric window winder motors .. and under seat adjusting motors which are already geared ... get the switches and you have forward and rev if need be....

Print Page | Close Window