Forum Description: Rod building chat here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70029
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 12:35pm

Topic: Kiwis are Boring....
Posted By: gtrbaby
Subject: Kiwis are Boring....
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 12:17pm

dont worry - I am one !!!!

just an observtion of the lack of "flair"that the guys I build rods for are after - if you look at some of the cusotm rods built around t6he world - they are detailed, colourful and actually interesting.

people ask me to build them rods here in NZ - so I ask "what colours do you want?" about 80% of them say "just black".......boring!!!!

A mate of mine said " can you make it look like my Shimano one" ...... I told him to go buy another Shimano as it would be cheaper and look the same.....

why are us Kiwis so reseverd when it comes to one off individual things???  

Replies:
Posted By: Bigfishbob
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 12:21pm
Cos we don't like standing out from the pack. It all goes back to the tall poppy syndrome, which in turn goes back to our forefathers trying to avoid the class structure they escaped from mother england.

-------------
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz

Posted By: pure--lure
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 12:33pm
Sounds like the may not know exactly what there options are?

Posted By: gtrbaby
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by keep on fishing keep on fishing wrote:

Sounds like the may not know exactly what there options are?

nah - they know.....I show them over 50 different colours in the threads I have - bu still black rains supreme..

Posted By: Red Hunter
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 12:50pm
Not just NZ , here in Auss too , some times , I get sick of making the same rod trim [ just like you made for my mate ] arrr , I am working on a nice one now for a bloke , bit more colour but not to flash . OK its your rod .

Posted By: Nebula
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 1:02pm
its like the ladies say once u go black u never go backLOL i like what bigfishbob saidThumbs Upeach to their own i guess

-------------
When it's all over, it's not who you were. It's whether you made a difference.
- Layzie Bone

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 2:22pm
The rod is what its all about it defines angling and I totally agree about the boring looking part. I once got told my Xzoga's look like toys which I found funny and weird because toys are cool!LOL But its about the feel of a rod if you don't like it or its plain crap it don't matter what it looks like.

Posted By: Dohboy
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 4:46pm
I always try and talk people out of getting just black or black and gold, if you go with silver guides you can add colour very easily

-------------
www.acewash.co.nz

Posted By: cal25
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Dohboy Dohboy wrote:

I always try and talk people out of getting just black or black and gold, if you go with silver guides you can add colour very easily

He speaks the truth

me - "all black thread, I want it all black"

altho, with big ass chunky silver fujis and gold reel seat/gimbal would look pretty cool.....

I went with the little amount of silver and gold thread too tho.  LOL

-------------
Hard work beats talent, if talent doesnt work hard

Posted By: Kaeo Fella bay
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by gtrbaby gtrbaby wrote:

just an observtion of the lack of "flair"that the guys I build rods for are after - if you look at some of the cusotm rods built around t6he world - they are detailed, colourful and actually interesting.

people ask me to build them rods here in NZ - so I ask "what colours do you want?" about 80% of them say "just black".......boring!!!!

A mate of mine said " can you make it look like my Shimano one" ...... I told him to go buy another Shimano as it would be cheaper and look the same.....

Maybe coz we just wana catch fish not look pretty.. leave that for the missus

-------------
Need to throw a line in the fish tank just to remember what it feels like

Posted By: kinaspike
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 10:17pm
Love going into this shop... Not boring at all!  http://www.reelrods.co.nz/index.html - http://www.reelrods.co.nz/index.html

Posted By: laidbackdood
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 10:45pm
Each to his own mate..Beauty is in the eye of the beholderWink

-------------
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.

Posted By: Badfish
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 9:20am
I don't want to speak poorly of my customers. I give the customer what they want and I build mine the way I want. I guess you hit the nail on the head LBDThumbs Up

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Standard Deluxe
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 9:30am
Bring on the bling!

Posted By: kaveman
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 10:01am
Originally posted by kinaspike kinaspike wrote:

Love going into this shop... Not boring at all!  http://www.reelrods.co.nz/index.html - http://www.reelrods.co.nz/index.html

LOL,  just had a look and saw a couple of mine on thereThumbs Up great rod builder and a good buggar to boot!!

-------------
www.kavemantackle.co.nz

Posted By: laidbackdood
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Badfish Badfish wrote:

I don't want to speak poorly of my customers. I give the customer what they want and I build mine the way I want. I guess you hit the nail on the head LBDThumbs Up
I think so...I am boring...I like blue!LOL

-------------
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.

Posted By: green guy
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by gtrbaby gtrbaby wrote:

i agree mate i love the stuff the boys do on bloody decks i love doing thread art not into weaving but have done a few wicked things with threads dont think i can build a rod with out some threa art are u in auckland may b we could t up and so some crazy stuff on some rods
i reckon there are a lot of of diffrent items and things to implament into rods

kojak did some wicked things with rods really liked the vynal stickers he used on some of his stuff

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys

Posted By: of2fsh
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 9:12pm
Kojak built some wicked rods,used dyes instead of paint,white leather with nicknames printed on it,spiral wrapps done with roller guides,lots of experimenting with stuff he found on the net... Guess he was lucky he could choose who he built for and what he built..

-------------
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition

Print Page | Close Window