Forum Name: Rod Building
Forum Description: Rod building chat here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69964
Printed Date: 31 Mar 2020 at 7:58pm

Topic: EVA vs. Hypalon
Posted By: Tomatron
Subject: EVA vs. Hypalon
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 6:16pm
I always just assumed that they were just brands, not completely different materials.

In the past I have only used EVA grips, and I don't think they can really be faulted. But today I used Hypalon to put on my 5'6 24kg live fiber and it feels nice and went on way easier than EVA! I suspect (without getting the scales out) that hypalon is heavier than EVA and has more of a rubber feel than the EVA, which would make it more durable too???

Interested in your thoughts, I like the stuff and hope to use it more in the future.

Replies:
Posted By: Xtoad
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 10:27pm
You are spot on. It also stretches much more than eva. I have found it a little more difficult to work with but I prefer it on big gear like game rods and my pe10 popper rod.

Posted By: Skipjack
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 11:17pm
Yes, Hypalon will out last EVA has a nicer feel also. yes its heavier than EVA there are lighter Hypalon grips (i think the JM 3 kings have it) feels softer i guess just less dense , have no idea where to source though.
Much easier to fit but not as easy to shape. Any rods I'm not worried about weight i use hypalon on. 

Posted By: MarkE
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 11:03am
Is EVA the softer, less dense material and Hypalon the more firmer/denser of the two?

Posted By: gtrbaby
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 12:13pm

yep - hypalon is heavier andd more dense.

Posted By: Xtoad
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 9:25pm
Hypalon is a denser material therefore heavier in the same volume. It is generally however of a spongier, softer more grippy texture than Eva, particularly some of the hard eva that is out there.
It is most suited to heavier applications where there is little need to feel the lure/fishthroughbthe blank. I find it absorbs virbrations due to it's nature and is thence used in game rods and big popping rods for me. When you need finesse and touch go with Eva and when it is critical to feel everything go with cork or even a carbon sleeve.
My 2c.
Stu

Posted By: Badfish
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 8:28am
Just another point I didn't see raised, Hypalon absorbs water so if you're building a rod that you intend to fish under the arm at all its something to think about. But anything like a game or heavy set up your going to gimbal up with its pretty good

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Tomatron
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 6:08pm
Bugger, wish I knew this to days ago I wouldn't have ordered some for my 10ft rock rods...

Posted By: Badfish
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 7:46am
Not the end of the world some people don't mind it. It's only the slight inconvenients of having a wet side and arm pit, and thats only if it gets really wet in the first place, could be worse.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Print Page | Close Window