Print Page | Close Window

Bloody Gulps!

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Soft Bait Fishing
Forum Description: Anything to do with this latest and greatest way of catching our favourite species
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66447
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 12:42am

Topic: Bloody Gulps!
Posted By: Muppet
Subject: Bloody Gulps!
Date Posted: 27 May 2011 at 4:46pm

Been going through a lot lately i don't mind it means loadsa bites n fish.

One thing I hate is buying a pack of shads and them having wonky bent tailsAngry At $2+ per bait I want perfectly straight baits. I search through all the packs and pick the best ones well at least I do but 5 out the 20 I just got have got little curly tails. This is not the retailers problem either.

Replies:
Posted By: nylg1
Date Posted: 27 May 2011 at 4:52pm
LOL shads are so last year

-------------
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.”
― Wernher Von Braun

Date Posted: 27 May 2011 at 5:02pm
Not where I am fishing LOL

Even those grubs have high % of wonky tails too!

Posted By: Milkey
Date Posted: 27 May 2011 at 5:06pm
Maybe a please explain to Mr Gulpy Berkeley?
Pilchards dont have this problemWink

-------------
Proud Prowler Roller, bowler and a$$holer since Feb' 2008.......not anymore, Profish 440 yeah boy!!!

Date Posted: 27 May 2011 at 5:09pm
Yeah I wanna have whinge first thats what us poms do eh.

So did the Limitless switch you back to bait eh Milkey? And pilchards blah horrible things piper n macks are where its at off the rocks!

Posted By: Milkey
Date Posted: 27 May 2011 at 5:15pm
Not switched. But broadened my horizons a tad

-------------
Proud Prowler Roller, bowler and a$$holer since Feb' 2008.......not anymore, Profish 440 yeah boy!!!

Date Posted: 27 May 2011 at 5:19pm
Fair enough Milkey he has described his technique in some good detail in his FN articles will have to give it a try one day. I think it will be better to try them up north thoughWink

Posted By: BigTackle
Date Posted: 27 May 2011 at 6:54pm
I dont know how true this is but i was told it comes down to the transportation from OS. Apparently during transport/shipping the consignment get really hot (like in a steel container), this melts th plastics and then as they cool down they reset in their wonky form.I have heard pure fishing is now consigning cold room containers to defeat this?
Like i said this is what i heard on the long grape vine.....

Date Posted: 27 May 2011 at 7:04pm
Probably true but they could package them better, they don't skimp on the pogeysLOL

Posted By: jaypeegee
Date Posted: 27 May 2011 at 7:22pm
Bro..Make your own?
Cheaper and better QA

-------------
"You don't have to be smart to laugh at a fart, but you have to be stupid not to."

Date Posted: 27 May 2011 at 7:37pm
Gulps are great using them ain't an issue (even the losses) and its just recently they seem to have got worse.

Posted By: Lethal
Date Posted: 27 May 2011 at 8:30pm
if its that bad why not buy something else.
it wont take them long to get the message if everyone buys something different other than Gulp...

-------------
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 27 May 2011 at 9:47pm
Slams! work well ...Evil Smile

Yeah I find a good old Wakato Swimmimg Mullet a great substitute for all softbaits.

Don't tell anyone but I love fishing with softbaits but I do think that sometimes people get a little too precious about what works and what doesn't. I bet the bent ones work just as well but for the price I understand if you want a top quality product.

Posted By: skidder
Date Posted: 27 May 2011 at 10:25pm
No point getting all bent out of shape Muppet. Try Zman's .....not bent and last longer.

-------------
Knockers - need I say more.....

Posted By: Raging Bull
Date Posted: 28 May 2011 at 8:23am

I have noticed the same thing with Gulp lately. But i have found its the cheap ones on trademe that are crap(seconds??), have not had much trouble with the ones in the shops.

Recently converted to Zman, they are the shizzle, 6 trips with one bait before i lost it and i didnt even have to take it off the hook when i got home. Great value for money and they catch as much if nopt more than gulps.

Posted By: Tomatron
Date Posted: 28 May 2011 at 8:33am
Mate I'm hearing you, you wouldn't pick those gulps to be worth 2bux a pop thats for sure! I hate buying gulps they are such a rip off, they are soo soft these days. I have been using z-man and can't fault them. I hardly ever buy gulps now and I am sorry to say but they **** in their own nest by ripping us off for so long now the compertition has arrived and compertition it is! If I do buy gulp (always have a few packs on me for that 'just in case moment' I use the 4 inch jig grub. 10 in a pack and they are super good!

Posted By: Daniel K
Date Posted: 28 May 2011 at 1:13pm
Bloody pain that, i find the ones in the tub are a bit better though. 
Its also about the way you store them. 
I just get my packet ones and put them in my tub, ppl say dont do it yadi yadi ya but to be honest i dont think the fish care.

Posted By: green guy
Date Posted: 28 May 2011 at 1:50pm
Gulps rule.......
I don't mint the new zmans but there are not cheap but they do own gulp when it comes to lasting longer
True test for the new zmans will b in the winter

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys

Posted By: Wide Load
Date Posted: 28 May 2011 at 2:31pm
Has anyone else noticed that the Gulp lizards seem softer than the crazy legs?

Posted By: Cbro
Date Posted: 28 May 2011 at 2:38pm
I buy those little 4inch jigging grubs for $10, 10per pack an size really doesnt matter and no defects yet.  Also use 4 inch turtle back worms an they have 12 in a pack,  I got 50odd packs leftLOL @$4 a pack they're cheaper than pilchards!.

Last week I got my limit in snaps with a few nice 10lb jobs using the little cheaper softbaits while my cuz struggled with the 7inch baits.

4inch gulp turtle back worm...just for proof, well hijacked into a trip report, ha!

Date Posted: 28 May 2011 at 2:47pm

The product is awesome everyoone knows it but at $2 per bait they have be in top nick. Thats my only gripe with them, I don't even mind the losses as long as they go on the hook nice n straight!

Nice fish CerebroLOL

Date Posted: 28 May 2011 at 6:03pm
Buy the grubs, atleast its half the cost per bait.  They come into the country with hundreds in a box, your retailers must be getting the bottom packets...top of the north gets first dibsWink.
Why not just buy the tubs? If your finding it that frustrating, get more for your $.

Lol that fish is just another northland Panny

Date Posted: 28 May 2011 at 7:02pm
Yeah true on the tubs but I like to buy different flavours 5 at a time otherwise it gets expensive plus not all the flavours I use are in the tubs.

Posted By: N2Y
Date Posted: 28 May 2011 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

...not all the flavours I use are in the tubs.

You tasted them mate? I figured they were just different colours LOL

Posted By: strikezone
Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 6:10am
C,mon you guys! Who cares if the tails are a little bent, they don,t make any differance to the catch rate!   Have found zmans ok when the fishing is good- not as good as gulp when its a little harder. Don,t forget to that gulps are biodegradable and zmans are not . Does anyone care about what we throw into our beautiful playground?!

Posted By: Finatic
Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 8:54am
No issues with Strike King tails. Great softies they are too.

Posted By: Espresso
Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 10:16am
Strikezone - advertising claims on products are not fact, they are advertising.

Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 10:20am
You hit the nail on the head there Grant!

Posted By: of2fsh
Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 10:25am
forget the advertising claims,bent tails,value for money.. all of that means nothing,the real test is if they catch fish in the winter

-------------
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition

Posted By: Tomatron
Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 11:17am
SB kit gets stowed away for winter anyway. Winter = bait and bury off the rocks for me. Comes back out in early november for the motuora run Thumbs Up ANd this summer z mans will rule my tackel box!

Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 11:26am
"Softbaits don't work in winter" - Geoff Thomas

LOL

Posted By: Double Shot
Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Finatic Finatic wrote:

LOL

**** someone had better tell Grant, my CATCH got me plenty last winter oh what am I to do....Think you got it all wrong GT, sorry mate...Wink

-------------
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    

Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Finatic Finatic wrote:

LOL

Shocked your kidding right? Is this quote for real?  

I love pulling mucha's outa the wash in winter!!

Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by (erebro (erebro wrote:

Shocked your kidding right? Is this quote for real?

Nah mate, that's what he stated on an episode a couple of years back.LOL

Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 12:44pm

This ain't a **** fight about whats biodegradable or what works in winter just wanna see if you guys get packs with wonky tails and if it pee's you off but ok it don't. I would post pics but can't be arsed tbh. Anyways its rocks fresh baits n berley for me for a couple of months from now.

Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 12:47pm
Had a few with wonky tails Dan. Still seemed to catch fish though, so wasn't bothered.

Posted By: Espresso
Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 1:15pm
A slightly wonky tail shouldn't make any difference to the Gulps swimming action or catching abilities, I haven't had any so haven't seen it. Anyway why aren't we out there fishing now?! (Oh yeah metservice said 15kt southerlies...Tui).
Next couple of days look good though Wink

Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 7:15pm
Wonky tails make a huge difference when you are using VLight jig heads or Hidden Weights. Makes no difference if you are using weights over 3/4oz or even 1/2oz.

Plastics catch fish all year round regardless what anyone thinks, its about fish instincts, what triggers a fish will always change you just need to think a little more when they get tricky.

Posted By: PJay
Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 8:26pm
Right, Mupsikins, stop fretting.

Northland Kayak Fishing Club club day at Bland Bay today.

Having read your thread, I decided to experiment by using only bent and wonky tails from recent packs of 5" Gulp! jerkshads.  Wash fishing on the yak (ref another thread - using baitcaster reels). 

Weighed by the club weighmaster, my best 2 snapper were 10.6-something kg and 11.5-something kg.  Kept one or two more, put back lots 40cm+.

I might even go for these baits by preference now...

-------------
PJ

Posted By: Kezza
Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 8:32pm
Stunning fish PJay....photos snd a report please!!

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 8:41pm
Ah, I seldom take a camera, but Karl the club past-Pres took a coupla pics, and once he's emailed them to me I'll do a report.

I usually put the bigger fish back in the water, but on a club day, and there being a club champs, and me being the current club champ, also from only 2 fish.....

Yeah, wash fishing from a kayak with fish this size is quite a challenging thing; there were a couple of times with each of these suckers when I had to paddle away from the rocks/1.5 metre breaking waves as well as keep the fish under control.  And I do minimalist kayak fishing, so there's no gaff or landing net involved, either, and you have to play them out as well to land them.

-------------
PJ

Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by BigTackle BigTackle wrote:

Wonky tails make a huge difference when you are using VLight jig heads or Hidden Weights. Makes no difference if you are using weights over 3/4oz or even 1/2oz.

i used to belive this also ,most of my fishing is with light jig heads and shalow water,when wash fishing i used to make shure every bait was perfect,if it had a wonky tail it was left in the pack,if it wasnt rigged perfect it got rigged again,then a few weeks ago i went on a trip to little barrier and was given a sebile hard bait to try,this thing had 2 silver treble hooks dangling from it,  while it looked good i was not confident it would work as well as a s/b as it didnt really look natural with the hooks so exposed, after all we always try to  rig baits to look natural and avoid large hooks poking out every where.3 casts for 3 fish and i was thinking different.biggest fish of the trip was on a hard bait and thier was some extremly good wash fishers on board using s/bs,so now im of the opinion its not that important to have the perfect bait more to get it in the right spot...

-------------
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition

Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by of2fsh of2fsh wrote:

so now im of the opinion its not that important to have the perfect bait more to get it in the right spot...
100% agree.

-------------
PJ

Posted By: DIY!
Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 9:19pm
Good to see you got your arse fishing LOL

-------------
http://www.actionstations.co.nz

Berkley 2009 and 2010 S/B champ

Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by PJay PJay wrote:

so now im of the opinion its not that important to have the perfect bait more to get it in the right spot...

100% agree.

x2

-------------

Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 9:25pm
Amanda, LOL doesn't describe it: you gave me a smile a mile wide with that post.

-------------
PJ

Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by PJay PJay wrote:

Amanda, LOL doesn't describe it: you gave me a smile a mile wide with that post.
Don't ya just feel alive having a scrfeaming reel in your hands.. Nice on PJAYBig smile

-------------

Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by DIY! DIY! wrote:

LOL   oh arent you over confident after catching 2 fish a week ago

-------------

Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 9:47pm

Originally posted by BigTackle BigTackle wrote:

i used to belive this also ,most of my fishing is with light jig heads and shalow water,when wash fishing i used to make shure every bait was perfect,if it had a wonky tail it was left in the pack,if it wasnt rigged perfect it got rigged again,then a few weeks ago i went on a trip to little barrier and was given a sebile hard bait to try,this thing had 2 silver treble hooks dangling from it,  while it looked good i was not confident it would work as well as a s/b as it didnt really look natural with the hooks so exposed, after all we always try to  rig baits to look natural and avoid large hooks poking out every where.3 casts for 3 fish and i was thinking different.biggest fish of the trip was on a hard bait and thier was some extremly good wash fishers on board using s/bs,so now im of the opinion its not that important to have the perfect bait more to get it in the right spot...

Totally agree, Sebile are awsome! and up untill about 2 months ago I was the sole NZ rep! :( . That was untill Sebile USA was bought out by Pure fishing a couple of months or so ago.

IMO, if your catching fish in the wash they are there only for 1 reason.....feeding. Its getting the shut down fish to pin your plastic that straight tails make a difference. But to be honnest I would be using a hand poured bait with a hidden weight for the real tough fish before anything else. Something like a Firebait minnow.

Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 9:54pm
Oh, yes, I did also catch some 50-60cm fish out on the clear with these wonky tails today, too.  So I'm not quite sure I agree with Big Tackle's thesis, either.

But then, I am happy to accept that I only catch the suicidally-inclined.

-------------
PJ

Date Posted: 30 May 2011 at 6:31am
Well done PJay, my opinion is still to present my bait as precisly as I can especially as most my fishing local in Aucklands near shallows not GB or LB or Coro where there more abudant bigger 20lb plus snapper who don't give a hoot it seemsLOL The fish may well like them I will try out a wonky tail next time I go.

Date Posted: 30 May 2011 at 9:06am
LOL, wont be long before you start complaining that your local has no packets of wonky gulps!!

Date Posted: 30 May 2011 at 9:10am
LOL I hope so!

Posted By: Mr Plastic
Date Posted: 30 May 2011 at 10:41am
Ive been useing the zman lizards and cutting the head and front legs off before putting on a 10g 4/0 jighead. I have putt 33 snaps in the bin so far on 1 bait!! It is torn and looks like crap now but its still getting smashed. I was once a gulp crazy consumer buy hey the results speak volumes.
My good mate was fishing 5" crazt legs and the jigging grubs and i have been landing 3 to 1 of his.
What makes this even more funny is that the zmans dont have a scent either. Salt impregnated so they say but they smell like plastic to me.. I will allways carry some tubs of my favorite gulps as i reckon they are awsome baits but  i have seen the light as well.  If i can get similar results from the rest of these zmans that will mean i can land 300 fish for $15.99. thats better than squid!!LOL

Date Posted: 30 May 2011 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Mr Plastic Mr Plastic wrote:

Ive been useing the zman lizards and cutting the head and front legs off before putting on a 10g 4/0 jighead. I have putt 33 snaps in the bin so far on 1 bait!! It is torn and looks like crap now but its still getting smashed. I was once a gulp crazy consumer buy hey the results speak volumes.
My good mate was fishing 5" crazt legs and the jigging grubs and i have been landing 3 to 1 of his.
What makes this even more funny is that the zmans dont have a scent either. Salt impregnated so they say but they smell like plastic to me.. I will allways carry some tubs of my favorite gulps as i reckon they are awsome baits but  i have seen the light as well.  If i can get similar results from the rest of these zmans that will mean i can land 300 fish for $15.99. thats better than squid!!LOL

Spot on MR P....thats my number one reason to change to Zman as frontline SB.

-------------

Posted By: Bigfishbob
Date Posted: 30 May 2011 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Slams! work well ...Evil Smile

Yeah I find a good old Wakato Swimmimg Mullet a great substitute for all softbaits.

Don't tell anyone but I love fishing with softbaits but I do think that sometimes people get a little too precious about what works and what doesn't. I bet the bent ones work just as well but for the price I understand if you want a top quality product.

Amen to that, aren't trying to imtate wounded badly swimming baitfish anyways?

So whats with the drive for unbent baits anyway Muppet?

-------------
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz

Date Posted: 30 May 2011 at 3:12pm
I am a fussy b'stard when it comes to presenting my bait. I like using natural colours mainly like sapphire shine or pilchard in the shallows to represent a true baitfish mainly piper. Just my thing I guess and when you get bent little tales on them I just find it annoying cos at $2 per bait they should be as advertised. Yet to see a Gulp ad showing bent tails on the hook. LOL All good will have a chat with my local shop see if he can have a word with them. Whenever I get to the bottom of my pot the last baits  there are the ones with the bent tails too LOL

Date Posted: 30 May 2011 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

Stunning fish PJay....photos snd a report please!!

Report, no pics, at http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/kayak-softbait-fishing-bland-bay-29-may-2011_topic66529.html%20 - http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/kayak-softbait-fishing-bland-bay-29-may-2011_topic66529.html

NB Kezza has been very gracious about it, razz him as I did...

-------------
PJ

Date Posted: 30 May 2011 at 6:29pm
Ha! Might have a sookie and write a letter to the ed. if you don't watch yourself buddy!

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2011 at 6:38pm
Look out then, because Kezza will threaten to reply and blow this item out of the water.

-------------
PJ

Date Posted: 30 May 2011 at 7:12pm

Originally posted by DIY! DIY! wrote:

LOL   oh arent you over confident after catching 2 fish a week ago

I guess that the fact I had been off this site for some 4 months then come back to the same old same old *****ing gave me a position of entitlement... and yes those fish helped :-D

-------------

Date Posted: 30 May 2011 at 7:55pm
pi ssing and moaning is what this sites all about LOL welcome back 

-------------

Posted By: El Nicko
Date Posted: 30 May 2011 at 9:06pm
Back on the topic I agree with Muppet!
I questioned 'Mr. Pure Fishing' at a seminar, about Gulps with wonkey tails and his response was to " put them in the gulp juice in a tub". I told him I had already tried that and it did not work - they stayed 'wonky'. He just did not want to know, which I though was pretty disappointing!!!!  

I would have thought if he stood behind his product he would replace the imperfect ones. I am yet to be convinced they fish as well as the perfect ones when the fishing is harder. So yes, I do the 'Muppet'  thing - find packets with better tails!

Date Posted: 31 May 2011 at 1:08pm
Another fussy fisho huh! Yep thats what I expect El Nicko just a simple bemused look of some sort I guess.

Posted By: Fish Pimp
Date Posted: 31 May 2011 at 3:13pm
Life must be Hell'' for ya El Nico/ Muppet Cry how did you guy's cope when you opened the bait packet and the Anchovies /Plichards etc were all bent part skinned bruised and not straight? You must have been beside  Yourselves!!. Quite simple really If you don't like the product  DON'T BUY THEM.. or better still send all the wonky ones to me and I'll tell ya if they work..LOL

Date Posted: 31 May 2011 at 4:23pm
Pimp I like the product re read my postsConfused I like it that much I carry on using them regardless of my annoyance.

God knows why they are so darn effective too, I tried other brands and tbh I am never as confident throwing those around and I am not knocking any other type either I just choose Gulp cos they are the best for me.
Pillies etc I have not brought in years so have no answer on that but they don't cost $2 each and I would catch and use fresh piper, macks, sweep, kahawai most the time anyho!

Posted By: Fish Pimp
Date Posted: 31 May 2011 at 4:45pm
Fair nuff Muppet. I guess you were just after some cheese' to go with the whine! then.LOL

Date Posted: 31 May 2011 at 4:48pm

Just one of many who like to whine.

Posted By: 1Daz
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 2:55pm
After just reading this thread I am now interested if the fishers using the Zman soft baits are still using them over the Gulp now that it is the middle of winter?  I havnt tried Zman for quite a while now, always seem to find myself going back to the Gulp range. Gulp worked well for me yesterday.
And yea... Those crooked tails really pi$$ me off too. At the moment it seems that about 50% of all the gulp jerk shads I take from the packet have this problem at the moment.

-------------
Go the Warriors!

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 3:38pm
I know of a couple of boat loads of folk out there today and they'll be using  A zman each and the reports are enough to make a grown man cry.....brutal apprently! but if anyone actually believes the fish know the difference between brands of lures during different seasons then so be it.....

I also know of a nice second hand harbour bridge for sale......interested?

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 3:55pm
Would imagine the only advantage a Gulp soft bait would have over a Zman soft bait is the scent. I dont think scented baits are better than unscented baits in the summer but during winter I dont know.

-------------
Go the Warriors!

Posted By: JoshW
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 6:27pm
Have been using Zmans (aka strike kings) over winter for years. They work! and  1-2 baits a day is a lot easier on the wallet than several packs of gulps

Posted By: JoshW
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by 1Daz 1Daz wrote:

Would imagine the only advantage a Gulp soft bait would have over a Zman soft bait is the scent. I dont think scented baits are better than unscented baits in the summer but during winter I dont know.

Put it infront of it's face, give it a jiggle... summer... winter...scented...unscented...smells like an old pair of socks... it don't matter, you still get bit!

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by JoshW JoshW wrote:

Put it infront of it's face, give it a jiggle... summer... winter...scented...unscented...smells like an old pair of socks... it don't matter, you still get bit!

if only it was that easy LOL......the hauraki gulf is obviously a different fishery than the far nth as the last month has been extremly hard on soft baits in the 2 areas weve been fishing,we even tried secret sauce it was so hard,sometimes a snapper just wants a fresh cube of  pillie on a snapper snatcher

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 6:59pm

Brought some more Gulps the past few weeks all tails have been good tbh not bad at all happy with that LOL

Might have to give Z mans a try but I know I won't have the patience if they don't start working straight away. Another thing about Gulp with them getting mauled easily is I will change colours and patterns more often too.

Posted By: Uncle
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 7:45pm
As an aside, yesterday I landed 5 snapper & a kahawai on a single GULP! Crazylegs.
I had similar success with a Zman a few weeks ago but can't get past go with them now the waters cooled down

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 8:15pm
Just like the double knot thread....use what ever you are coinfident in....if 'they' don't work 'straight away and lose paitence' that easily then perhaps fishing isn't the best recreation choice for you Muppet?....do your 'go to' baits work straight away everytime....no?....just sayin'

-------------

Posted By: GingaMatt
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 8:26pm

Just like the double knot thread....use what ever you are coinfident in....if 'they' don't work 'straight away and lose paitence' that easily then perhaps fishing isn't the best recreation choice for you Muppet?....do your 'go to' baits work straight away everytime....no?....just sayin'
How do you like that Muppet? LOL Maybe you should take up lawn bowls.

-------------
CATCH US ON FACEBOOK - SHIMANO FISHING NZ

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 8:26pm

Just like the double knot thread....use what ever you are coinfident in....if you don't work 'straight away and lose paitence' that easily then perhaps fishing isn't the best recreation choice for you Muppet?....do your 'go to' baits work straight away everytime....no?....just sayin'

LOL What you on about Kezza, been doing this angling game for ages in all sorts of different ways. I have the patience much more than most but if something else is gonna work better in my situation I will use it.

Posted By: BlindFishingNZ
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 8:28pm
My packets of Zman say "scented"?

They do have an interesting salty/fishy type of smell...I use them almost exclusively, and have been out fishing even smelly old pillies and skipjack ETC most of the winter!

In fact, my entire softbaiting career has been in this passed winter...I think my first fish on a softy was April or May this year!

I can't aford gulps, I do have a few, and put one on if there's no action on the Zman, just to chekc, but it doesn't seem to make much difference, not to an amateur like me anyway!

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 8:32pm

Just like the double knot thread....use what ever you are coinfident in....if you don't work 'straight away and lose paitence' that easily then perhaps fishing isn't the best recreation choice for you Muppet?....do your 'go to' baits work straight away everytime....no?....just sayin'

LOL What you on about Kezza, been doing this angling game for ages in all sorts of different ways. I have the patience much more than most but if something else is gonna work better in my situation I will use it.

" I know I won't have the patience if they don't start working straight away."

Im on about your ridiculous statement above....but whatever spins your wheels champ...

-------------

Posted By: GingaMatt
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 8:35pm
LOL Nothing changes on this forum

-------------
CATCH US ON FACEBOOK - SHIMANO FISHING NZ

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 8:43pm

Im on about your rediculous statement above....but whatever spins your wheels

I give up.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 9:03pm
Fair enuf, I'd probally give up to Muppet.

-------------
Go the Warriors!

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 9:04pm
Prolly just missed each others points there Dan...go catch 'em bro

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 9:11pm
Kezza I have used other brands just have had not much luck. I have limited time in a kayak fishing locally 95% of the time, not in a boat, not near any work ups or any outer gulf structure I don't have that choice to go out very far. I may try Z mans but if they seriously don't work out for me I will stick with Gulp.  

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 9:28pm
Excellent....we agree then...that is what I more or less said a few posts back....'use what you are coinfident in'....it was the 'work straight away' thang that threw me....

I've had great fishing in close around auckland, in the deep, work ups etc on Gulp/powerbait, zman, squidgies, storm, lunker city, tiki worms, storm bringers home pours, strike kings and heaps of other odds and sods....guess all i'm saying is i have confidence in lots of baits cause they've all worked for me in lots of environs throughout the seasons.

All good - say 'hi' to Buffo and his spawn please.

-------------

Posted By: OffTheHook
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 11:00pm

After just reading this thread I am now interested if the fishers using the Zman soft baits are still using them over the Gulp now that it is the middle of winter? 

1Daz i have been using the new zman jerkshads all summer and winter and havent looked back they are still getting smashed just as hard if not harder than the gulps i used to use. they are both scented so havent noticed any differences there, however i am more confident that my softbait is swimming down there in the best presentable state and spend less time worrying about whether it still has a tail or not after the first hit Dead this comes down to durability. just got a txt from a mate out today who filled his bin on zmans around waiheke and yes we're in august Confused.. so dont believe everything you read on here about whats going to work in winter and whats not ... go out and try it for yourself... at the end of the day it comes down to confidence and you will use whatever works best for you...Wink

There are plenty of other softbaits that will catch you snapper in winter - Catch, Squidgies, Waveworms, sluggos, trigger X the list goes on

Posted By: piwikiwi
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 4:18pm
Hey Muppet I have been a Gulp user for years and yesterday made the brave move to taking out a pack of Zman electric chicken. I also bought the ripoff sauce $20 to sqeeze into the belly of the bait just to help but anyway they did catch me a bin load of soft biting winter snaps ! Still got the same bait good to go again.
2 weeks ago my son and I got thru 15 gulp grubs for 6 gurnard. Leatherjackets were rampant.

Can the Zman users tell me how long they last in the packet and do you need the extra sauce ?
I am pretty much sold and will go try some other Zman shapes.

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 4:54pm
LOL Piwi I hear the Papamoa snapper are rampaging at the moment and that you could even catch em on Slams Wink Like I said I will give em a crack hopefully I will fair better than others I have tried. 

Posted By: OffTheHook
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 5:03pm
because the baits last so long the scent will eventually wear off, secret sauce is the same scent that comes in a packet of zmans so you can put more scent on if you want...

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 5:12pm
Thanks, actually the snapper were hard going biting soft and my mate on gulps had similar results to me.
Last time I tried anything other than gulp was an exude back in 1814 LOL

Posted By: Phishpula
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 5:19pm

LOL Piwi I hear the Papamoa snapper are rampaging at the moment  

Such blatant disregard for the truth with be met with  quiet time in the naughty corner LOL

-------------
Turtle free since 2012

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 5:30pm
LOL I have seen the reports and phographic evidence of pannie after pannie, winters the go down there eh guys.
I ain't been out since mid June shocking but will hit the water Saturday hopefully to dust off the cobwebs.

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 5:36pm
We are just excellent fisher people Dead

Posted By: Fishing Addiction
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 9:29pm
i dont know why people consider gulp not to be durable because i rarely use more than 2/3 gulps per trip and usually catch my limit. normally get them on special so work out $1 a bait. seems about the same as z man for a day but can put back in gulp juice rather than paying extra for the secret sauce. no doubt zmans work as the posts on here have confirmed that, but i like my gulps :)

Posted By: Getting jiggy with it
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Fishing Addiction Fishing Addiction wrote:

i dont know why people consider gulp not to be durable because i rarely use more than 2/3 gulps per trip and usually catch my limit. normally get them on special so work out $1 a bait. seems about the same as z man for a day but can put back in gulp juice rather than paying extra for the secret sauce. no doubt zmans work as the posts on here have confirmed that, but i like my gulps :)

I've caught upto 4 or 5 fish on one gulp before but it has only really happened a couple times, where as a Zman bait will almost always catch that many fish on one bait. Gulps lose tails or are bitten in half far to often before even catching 1 fish for me to justify solely using them these days.
Zman all the way.

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 6:53am
If you are fishing near leatherjackets or bluecod gulps soon disapear !

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 11:15am

Im on about your rediculous statement above....but whatever spins your wheels

I give up.

Me too when it comes to engaging Kezza....just not worth the effort.....if you keep pressing your point he gets all personal....Ouch

-------------

Posted By: PDSquid
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 6:45pm
lol caught some mean ones on a blade of lawn grass once

Print Page | Close Window