Forum Name: Saltwater Flyflingers
Forum Description: A forum for saltwater fly fishing enthusiasts
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65879
Printed Date: 29 Jun 2022 at 12:02am

Topic: Who's been tying?
Posted By: FishMan
Subject: Who's been tying?
Date Posted: 10 May 2011 at 9:25am
Only good thing you can say about horrible rainy weather is that it gets the tying going again. Have managed to roll out a few lately (none for sticky fingered fly stealers Evil Smile). Here's three of my slightly different efforts:

The skull at the bottom is cool. I like them. Just a shame that you can't fix them to stronger hooks. This one is tied on a Gami 1/0 CP11. Which is a pretty good hook. The skull will go on via the hook point on to a 2/0 in the same hook. This adds a lot more strength, but doesn't allow you to push the skull down onto the tying material from the front. 

The middle fly is a good way of using up all those tag ends of flash material. It's tied on a 1/0 Oshaugnessy Gami.

The top fly is tied on a Tiemco  600SP. These are very good hooks but smallest available is an oversized 1/0. Would love to see these hooks in smaller sizes.

Anyone else been tying lately?

Replies:
Posted By: StPaul
Date Posted: 10 May 2011 at 7:36pm
I have been teaching my 5 year old daughter the basic skills to tie, she is pictured below hard at work on her latest creation.

Below are some recent works from my vice 

Posted By: Troutzilla
Date Posted: 10 May 2011 at 10:28pm
Hi guys,

Great flies! Especially like your little crab Paul.

Ive had good success with your interceptor pattern on the local snapper population Craig however the marabou tails get thinned out pretty quick once they catch a couple so Ive been tying some rabbit based versions. I reckon the skulls work pretty good too.

Also a couple of piper flies as there are plenty of them still present where I fish.

Date Posted: 11 May 2011 at 8:33am
Yep, my vote for the crab too.. although I'm not sure anything will eat it?? 
TZ, I know what you mean about marabou not lasting the distance. I'm now very selective about the marabou I buy. Even bought some of the good stuff from Feather Merchants. Figure it's worth it when I'm tying it onto an expensive hook.
Was fishing yesterday afternoon with an interceptor made out of red and orange glo-bug yarn and a bright purple body hackle. Was fishing in a 'Meola' type place up harbour. Figured I needed a bright fly in the very milky water. Didn't catch anything on that fly. Switched to old faithful Interceptor- yellow body hackle over white marabou- and quickly nailed two 35cm fish. 
Rain back today though so that spot is stuffed for another two days.

Posted By: Bushkid2
Date Posted: 11 May 2011 at 1:12pm
Craig please send me your fly box.
Thanks.

Date Posted: 11 May 2011 at 1:58pm
Censored

Date Posted: 11 May 2011 at 3:57pm
Are you giving me the silent treatment Craig?

Date Posted: 11 May 2011 at 6:30pm
Just waiting for you to post up pics of your fine saltwater efforts.. Smile

Posted By: Tore
Date Posted: 11 May 2011 at 10:00pm
Nice looking flies there Craig. Now, you still have my address right? Let me at least pay for the postage! Oh, you generous man!

Posted By: EditB
Date Posted: 11 May 2011 at 10:51pm
Here are my first attempts at fly tying anything Embarrassed all tied on a Blackmagic Saltwater Fly #1. will be testing them out shortly on the Auckland inner reefs Thumbs Up

Some to some sort of pattern others to whatever random stuff I pulled out of the box my old man sent me.

Comments on tying, styles, sizing etc appreciated

While the following is not a saltwater fly, it did catch me my second and third rat(almost legal...) kingfish ever Big smile

-------------
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 8:24am
Edit, some good first efforts there. I would put a set of dumbell eyes on the top one (feathers have bouyancy) and consider changing the hooks. The brand you have chosen is weak (unless they have upgraded it lately?). Gamakatsu SL12s is the got to hook. Even then snapper will crunch it sometime. 

Tore, considering you're standing in line behind Bushkid (and he's not getting any) I don't fancy your chances Smile.

Posted By: Snuffit.
Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 8:53am
Interceptors

Bait fish & burley flies

Piper

Posted By: Troutzilla
Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 11:50am
Sweet flies Nick - those piper look deadly!

I tie my interceptors bulky ( so the fish can see them! ) for upper harbour waters and to discourage the smaller snapper but like your slimmer versions for a really shrimpy look and bet they get down quick too.

Like yours too Edit - theyll all catch fish. Awesome result for your first ties.

This is a great thread to see how everyone approaches tying their SWFs.

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 12:26pm
Nick is a tying machine, serious boxes of flies that man has gotLOL

Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 1:33pm
Thanks for the tips guys

I'll grab some better hooks next time I'm near a tackle shop.

-------------
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 2:08pm
Yep, cool flies Nick. Painted eye dumbbells look good.

Posted By: Rudy
Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 2:22pm
I too have tied on Black Magic Saltwater Fly hooks - because that's the only dedicated SW fly hook the store stocked at the time.  Grrr.  Waste of time and money then.

Gamakatsu SL12s

Any idea where I can get these in NZ? 

I can't for the life of me find them here in Chch, and haven't been able to find an online source either (apart from Stu's Flyshop, which doesn't have a very large range of sizes).

I'm about to get some hooks and flytying stuff from the States, but in future, I'd prefer it if I could get them closer to home.

Cheers

Rudy

Posted By: Salty-Fly
Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 2:36pm
The Black magic hooks are still crappy :( - see the first 2 pics- lucky to

So - now my hook draw looks like this - all imported from different parts of the world and the Mustad 34007 and 34011 have proved to be the best imho....

and my whole messy tying spot looks like this

Big smileBig smileWinkLOLSmile

Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 2:43pm
SO if BM Saltwater Fly hooks are crap - why would reputable stores carry them?!  Either they don't realise, or they have to stock something to capture that SWF market...    The hooks are not that cheap...

The only lemons I like are the ones that grow on my tree outside.

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 3:07pm
All stores carry lemons of one thing or another. Just the nature of fishing gear hooks especially.

Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 3:15pm
Just starting out in SWF after lurking here for a long time.

No dedicated SWF gear yet, so just some basic flies I can throw with a spare trout rod.

Electric Worms  (tail of Aussie Possum!)

Electric Worms - tail of Aussie Possum & VMC Siwash #6

Gotcha/Crazy Charlie type thingies

Clousers - #2, #4  some very pale, others a bit darker.

Posted By: matto
Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 3:56pm
liking nicks pipers , rudys clousers for when the baby  anchovies are about , and troutzillas upper harbour specials with the rabbit and fish skulls. I will post some photos from my fly box , just had a peak and its looking very thin at the moment. My most successful upper harbour fly has been a yellow body , white tail electric worm thingy ( thanks craig ) . 

Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 4:33pm
Don't you hate it when the simplest flies are the most successful.

For Gamakatsu Hooks send a pm to Chris Wong- ChrisW on this forum and ask him where to get them from. 

Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 4:58pm
when i get my photos sorted , you will see i have been using KL recurve hooks , they are available small and strong and I find the hook up rate really good , I think it makes sense when  applied pressure rather than a fast strip strike lets the hook rotate as the snapper clamps down ? I would rather fish small recurve strong hooks for snapper , than going bigger. Just my thoughts anyway.

Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 5:02pm
Where can I find various SWF pattern instructions online? I've been using youtube but my fly name/pattern knowledge is only slowly growing...

-------------

Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by matto matto wrote:

when i get my photos sorted , you will see i have been using KL recurve hooks , they are available small and strong and I find the hook up rate really good , I think it makes sense when  applied pressure rather than a fast strip strike lets the hook rotate as the snapper clamps down ? I would rather fish small recurve strong hooks for snapper , than going bigger. Just my thoughts anyway.
I never thought about using recurves. Can any pattern be used or are some more successful?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 5:12pm
I haven't caught anything over 2.5 kilos so I might not be onto anything , but so far most of my hook ups are in the corner or solid into the lips , I have also liked the recurve profile for the upper harbour snaggy areas, still trying different patterns edit b.

Posted By: FISHBYFLY
Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 5:56pm
hey salty fly,
Thats one pimped flytying desk youve got thereThumbs Up.

would love to no where to get those gammy hooks aswell.

Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 7:07pm
Hey Fishbyfly.......realised that it was hard to get SWF kit in NZ so went bezerk!!! - The cupboard of draws next to the desk is full of materials that should last a really long time....I think i have a better stocked desk that most shops StarBig smile............PLEASE DONT TELL MY WIFE.....as far as she is concerned i only have the basics!!! and the stuff is really cheap!!! .....BTW - anyone passing Dannemora area is welcome to come and tie a few :)

..Gammy's came from http://www.saltwaterflies.com - www.saltwaterflies.com

Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 7:20pm

Posted By: Xtoad
Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 7:30pm
This is the only other online source I use
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?s=999f4cb92ba812e36aeb3aad452d29e5 - http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?s=999f4cb92ba812e36aeb3aad452d29e5 &

Some fishy things....
Stu

Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 8:41pm
Havent seen any shrimps yet??? here is one i did with clear cure goo - i normally use epoxy but the goo is good too :)

Date Posted: 12 May 2011 at 11:56pm
A sudden flurry or recurve tying tonight Big smile

some standardish stuff, a sheeps wool baitfish (didn't have any rabbit strips ) and a SWF Hamill's Killer  

Roll on next Wednesday Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2011 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by troutzilla troutzilla wrote:

Hi guys,

Great flies! Especially like your little crab Paul.

they are easy as to tie.
some bead chain, rubber legs and t-shirt paint from spotlight.
tie in the beadchain at one end, bend it around and secure the other end, wrap lots of thread around it all and superglue it on. Tie in the legs. coat bottom with whit t-shirt paint, top with tan, orange brown or blue. paint the bead chain eyes with black head paint. leave it all to dry for a couple of days. (or pinch the wifes hair dryer!) 

Date Posted: 13 May 2011 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by EditB EditB wrote:

Where can I find various SWF pattern instructions online? I've been using youtube but my fly name/pattern knowledge is only slowly growing...

try this thread:

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/fly-tying_forum48.html - http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/fly-tying_forum48.html

clark and others have posted step by steps for some patterns

some other good links are:

http://www.danblanton.com/ - http://www.danblanton.com/

http://www.flyfishinsalt.com/index.jsp - http://www.flyfishinsalt.com/index.jsp

http://www.saltwaterflyfishing.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20 - http://www.saltwaterflyfishing.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

that should get you well on the way!

Date Posted: 13 May 2011 at 12:46pm
^ thanks Paul

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2011 at 2:01pm
Just tied up a bunch of orange bibbed yellow and white Interceptors. They've been fishing really well in dirty water lately. Needed to stock up. Hoping to go fishing with the boys this evening.

I even tied up one for Bushkid and Tore. They can share it.

Then I went a little berserk with some very bright marabou marketed by Tightlines. The result was a marabou monster. Just perfect for a dirty water place like Meola. 

A Meola marabou monster...

Big dumbbell eyes to counteract the bouyancy of the marabou and tied on a 2/0 SL12s it is a fairly big fly. Will have to give it a swim at Meola next time I'm in Auckland and see if it works.

And sorry Matto... I'm not a fan of recurve hooks.

Date Posted: 13 May 2011 at 6:21pm
noticed  theres no flash material in those flys Craig,

whats your experience with flys with/without flash? 

Nicepatterns those interceptors btw, hard to beat the natural action of marabou.

Posted By: Pole Dancer
Date Posted: 13 May 2011 at 6:38pm
Recurve hooks... poor swim... not  a fan either....

Nice colors Craig... Tamiti Coffee would be be proud and would say they are "FABULOUS"! EmbarrassedLOLEmbarrassed

-------------
http://www.clarkreid.co.nz" rel="nofollow - www.clarkreid.co.nz    FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier

Date Posted: 13 May 2011 at 6:45pm
Fish, I tend to use strong colours without flash in discoloured water and flash with more opaque/white fibres in clear blue water. I won't go into all the theories behind it (or lack of them) but it seems to work for me.

Clark, you can have that bottom one and wear it on stage if you like..  LOL

Date Posted: 13 May 2011 at 6:57pm
good to get your thoughts on recurves - makes me want to go fishing more. just tied this to take for a spin tomorrow morning , I am hoping it will swim point. need to find some fish on the bite and do some testing.

Posted By: tedc
Date Posted: 13 May 2011 at 8:00pm
Toad

s/w bugger green

s/w bugger pink/UV

The pink is a lite-brite dubbing that has long fibres and a uv flash in it, it is hard to see but the dubbing fibres have been teased out to lmost the lenght of the hackle fibres.

Ted

Date Posted: 14 May 2011 at 11:24am
just took my recurve , fish skull flies for a fling at meola reef, wow that place is heavy on lines and footwear!.My flies swam point up which is good , but no bites . will try again as I am sure fish will be holding there for a while , perhaps a few days with out rain will help?

Date Posted: 14 May 2011 at 12:38pm
Love those flys craig. do you wrap the maraboo or tie in bunches? I've tied up some smaller size 2's & 4's but find trying to find decent short maraboo a problem for smaller sizes. there was a product called featherhair in flylife a while back that looked interesting.

Date Posted: 14 May 2011 at 1:15pm
Ted, nice flies! Like those s/w buggers. 

Paul, I just rip off big bunches and bind it on. The marabou I buy (from a nick-nack store) comes in long string and different grades. I buy the best grade with the best feathers. Still only $11 a metre. 

Those flies pictured were tied on Size 2 SL12s. Anything smaller I use rabbit fur.

Posted By: [email protected]
Date Posted: 14 May 2011 at 2:26pm
It is time to re-stock after Meola has muched through my fly box. First attempt at an interceptor (lost all the ones I "borrowed"  from Craig Wink).
 Tied on a Mustad 2/0 hook so it is a fairly big one for the dirty water that is becoming a regular feature. Now gotta get out there to give them a swim.

Date Posted: 14 May 2011 at 2:33pm
hi wolfie , i did see a big broaching baitfish attack 100mtrs away  this morning. it was a way out but still an indication of a good fish in shallow water.

Date Posted: 14 May 2011 at 3:33pm
Hi Matto, Good to hear of activity. Haven't hit a snapper for weeks now, just juvenile kahawai, though Troutzilla has hit a trevor in last few weeks, so maybe they will fill their niche.

Date Posted: 14 May 2011 at 4:37pm
yep , the little kahawai are about, a friend got one this morning. A decent trevally is on my list so thats motivation enough.That was a great snapper caught a few weeks ago, will be interesting to see if any bigger are caught there. I am still finding my way with flys , which makes it hard when its a long time between bites as the water cools.

Date Posted: 15 May 2011 at 2:12pm
Got one smallish trev up here last night. About a kilo. So hopefully they're moving in. 

Mark, I know what you mean about losing gear in an oyster environment. Tried to go for a quick flick up-harbour a few nights ago. Got my fly stuck on my third cast, gave it a heavy pull, and sliced the whole end of the flyline off! The line looked liked it had had a razor dragged down it. 

Date Posted: 15 May 2011 at 9:38pm
Some more to fill my first ever Salt Water box.

First attempt at Bob Wyatt's Desolation Baitfish, ready for a coat of epoxy.  The tail is white bucktail as I didn't have any polarbear...Ermm  The fly needs a bushier tail I think, less mylar in teh tail and the Mylar is probably better sized for a larger hook (#4 here).

A Shrimp thingy #4, designed to ride hook-up.

Double K Reversed Spider, as per Kelvin Kleinman, from Global Flyfisher, #4

This is a variant of a Reversed Spider, a NW American pattern for sea-run cutthroat.  The idea is the reversed hackle exaggerates the fly's movement.  If it works there, it should work here, perhaps as a small shrimp fly... I think...Smile

The hackle collars are burnt mallard, burnt guinea fowl.

I've also been tying more clousers - chartreuse over white. I found a long strip of chartreuse Craft fur at a local fabric store for the princely sum of $1 - it will literally tie me 100s of flies... they are end cuts of a roll of fake fur, and they sell them as "tiger tails".Smile

Date Posted: 16 May 2011 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Craig Worthington Craig Worthington wrote:

Got one smallish trev up here last night. About a kilo. So hopefully they're moving in. 

Mark, I know what you mean about losing gear in an oyster environment. Tried to go for a quick flick up-harbour a few nights ago. Got my fly stuck on my third cast, gave it a heavy pull, and sliced the whole end of the flyline off! The line looked liked it had had a razor dragged down it. 

I still feel guilty about the line I tangled around your outboard prop on the last visit ...Cry

Date Posted: 22 May 2011 at 8:53pm
Haven't been tying much lately... but tonight it is skullheads.

-------------
http://www.clarkreid.co.nz" rel="nofollow - www.clarkreid.co.nz    FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier

Date Posted: 22 May 2011 at 9:19pm

-------------

Date Posted: 23 May 2011 at 6:26am
Oooo.... nice..  Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 23 May 2011 at 12:29pm
like Smile

Date Posted: 23 May 2011 at 6:06pm
very nice,

you possibly havent got any recomendations for suppliiers of fly tying materials?
i find the retailers pretty scarce on choice and can be pricey.

Date Posted: 24 May 2011 at 6:44pm
Cool flies Clark!

Particularly like the look of the blue one...

??? fibre + flash, white marabou, blue 'bou, & a skull?

Can anyone recommend an artificial fibre to use for generic sea patterns?

I can only find "big fly fibre" in my local shop, and it's way too long, and way too pricey.

There must be a substitute out there for "streamer hair" or whatever they tend to use overseas...

I guess I'm trying to find a cheaper source of crimped nylon fibre - I tried "doll's hair" from Spotlight, but too curly, too yellow, not enough crimp...Smile

Anyone?

Date Posted: 26 May 2011 at 3:43pm
Nope to the flash and fibre... it's DNA expensive but, in my opinion, worth it... I'll put up a list later of where I get some of the bits and pieces.

-------------

Posted By: Jofly
Date Posted: 26 May 2011 at 8:42pm
Finally have the use of my left arm back (broken collar bone fixed with a touch of titanium plate) so straight to the bench to start preparing for war LOL.  It's been a while and I've been looking at various parts of the forums just about every day reading reports of exceptional fishing Cry

So below is my contribution to the colourful array of flies in this thread.  Mostly I just tried to copy Craig's interceptors.  No point re-inventing the wheel Wink

Date Posted: 27 May 2011 at 1:53pm
Very nice Johan. I just got back home from another trip giving away flies Angry. I'm going to tie up some silvery/yellow/pearl flies next in anticipation of getting to fish for some winter trevally.

Posted By: Jofly
Date Posted: 27 May 2011 at 6:46pm
Hi Craig,

Is silvery/yellow/pearl the the colours to use for trevs? 

I'm hoping to get some up Leigh way.  I've seen heaps while spearfishing at Ti point and I have a small boat now so I fancy anchoring on the weed-line where I saw them most and cubing them in with some mashed up pillies.  I hear they like burley Wink Would be interested to know what size/type of fly you would use to target them best?

Date Posted: 28 May 2011 at 6:41am
I tend to go for lighter colours and choose smaller flies (1/0 ->2) for trevs. They can also be a bit picky about leader strength. If they're not taking reduce the breaking strain of your leader. I've had days when nothing over 12lb seagaur would catch visible fish. Same fly on a heavier leader was rejected continuously. 

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 6:20pm
Here are some recent flys using loons knot sense and a cheapo uv torch, dna fibre , and enrico pulisi fibre , chenile and rabbit zonker and some uv fibre
BaitfishBaby squidRabbit thingsClousersBaitfish

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 9:23pm
They look great matt, have you tried them on a weighted jig to use like a softbait.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 12:57am
hi mattoo , no i have'nt but I have lots of softbaits that I use on weighted jig heads for when I am softbaiting , and i also like to pull out the old small metal jigs when i am jigging for snapper , but flys are for fly fishing the idea is to use minimum weight to put some action in the retrieve and some sink while still being able to fly cast them and maintain some feel in the whole system from the fly through the leader and into the fly line. Feeling what the fly is doing 30 mtrs away and down in your hand while fishing the fly sets the whole experience apart from all the other methods where the rod ( lever ) is transfering the action and the bite , I would say fly fishing is very direct and closer to the feel that hand lining delivers while doing the fishing part, a good fly rod then transforms into a fish fighting tool when you need it to and delivers lift and leverage like any style fishing rod.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 6:59am

Another fly utilising alternating layers of marabou and flash material. Some say all my flies look the same. I don't care. I'm sure it will work. This one is quite interesting because all the water resistance is in the bum - so the head will flick around while the back of the fly stands still. Christened the 'smurf'. Tied on a size 1 Oshaugnessy gamakatsu - quite a chunky little hook- should be a good sink rate point first.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 5:45pm
Craig, if you use fast post I can try that one on new cali trevsPig

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 6:07pm
nice fly craig, nice fly

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 6:23pm
Met your wife yesterday Fishbyfly - any good stories about raro? I hear that you found a fishing mecca! Wink

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 7:49pm
Bushkid,

This is what you need - The Ratcatcher : 6/0 gamakatsu sl12, big pushy tail formed around marabou, expanded head, feather stems incorporated into body for added bouyancy. A slow sinking pushy fly with lots of pulse and flash. 

Such a shame that the post is so slow and there is no possibility of me sending it to you before you go Smile.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Nick F Nick F wrote:

Met your wife yesterday Fishbyfly - any good stories about raro? I hear that you found a fishing mecca! Wink

Ooops, just saw your post in the Who's been Fishing thread.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Craig Worthington Craig Worthington wrote:

Bushkid,

This is what you need - The Ratcatcher : 6/0 gamakatsu sl12, big pushy tail formed around marabou, expanded head, feather stems incorporated into body for added bouyancy. A slow sinking pushy fly with lots of pulse and flash. 

Such a shame that the post is so slow and there is no possibility of me sending it to you before you go Smile.

Well Craig, if you're sharing the love feel free to post some my way LOL

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 5:59pm
Craig, With the amount of loot i have just spent on not so good looking commercial tied flys it would have been far cheaper for me to drive up and steal the rat catcher and his mates from you. Oh well 3 more sleeps and we are off. Taking 9 rods, plenty of spare lines and $$$ of flies so should be ok trip.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 9:26pm
Yep, it would have. Just as well for me you didn't. 
I fed the ratcatcher to a good king today. It tried to eat.. dived on the thing and was sort of spiralling downwards with it gills flaring and its tail up. Whipped my hand back but no contact... arrghh..  now wondering if I struck too soon. It swam away. Only king I saw.
With 9 rods you'll have to grow a few more arms. Have a great trip.

Nick F.. I'm starting to think people come fishing with me just to bludge flies..  Smile

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 8:54am
Hollow Fleyes - first attempts

Tied on a #2 stainless hook.  Bucktail construction, with flash in the tail.

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 8:45pm
Very nice fly Rudy Thumbs Up. Would be interested to see how it swims (is the dark green bucktail glued together at the back?).

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 2:27pm
Hi Craig,

no, it's not glued.

Just a tail of bucktail, and then 3 flared collars.  I ran it under a hot tap to shape it for the photo.

SWF guys around the Eastern seaboard of the USA, especially striped bass guys, seem to use a lot of bucktail flies.

They've also taken off in the UK and Ireland I believe.

I thought it was an interesting concept, and gave it a go.

The idea is it gives a substantial profile, but with minimal material, so you can throw it all day long on a light rod.

I'm thinking maybe a KY fly - eyes, a silhouette, and a bit of flash.

Have yet to fish it. 

I'm keen to try them out at Waiheke when I go up for our holiday in a couple of weeks' time!

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 2:31pm
Oh, I couldn't source tab eyes here, and I have trouble keeping the 3D eyes stuck to the bucktail, so I did some DIY.

I have a huge roll of holographic tinsel ($1 shop), which is too thick to wrap around a hook (one of those worthless -spur-of-the-moment purchases).

I fold about 2".  Cut a tear-drop shape, draw a pupil with a permanent marker, and then place a drop of Sally Hanson's on the pupil.  Leave to dry overnight and you have very good little tab eyes.

Epoxy would be an even better idea.

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 2:46pm
good work on the eyes rudy, should be some good fishing for you around waihekeSmile

Posted By: igfafly
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 4:50pm
Have had to get busy - winter is getting to me and am off for warmer climes for a bit...guess where from the below ????

Got the missus into it too - she tied the above 2 - will be the first fly to hit the water.

Cheers

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 5:28pm
Big smileBig smileBig smile
Originally posted by Rudy Rudy wrote:

Hi Craig,

no, it's not glued.

Just a tail of bucktail, and then 3 flared collars.  I ran it under a hot tap to shape it for the photo.

SWF guys around the Eastern seaboard of the USA, especially striped bass guys, seem to use a lot of bucktail flies.

They've also taken off in the UK and Ireland I believe.

I thought it was an interesting concept, and gave it a go.

The idea is it gives a substantial profile, but with minimal material, so you can throw it all day long on a light rod.

I'm thinking maybe a KY fly - eyes, a silhouette, and a bit of flash.

Have yet to fish it. 

I'm keen to try them out at Waiheke when I go up for our holiday in a couple of weeks' time!

They are awesome kahawai flies, have used similar patterns to great effect on river mouth kahawai down here. easily castable on a 7 weight all dayBig smile. kahawai to 3kg.Big smile Big smileBig smile
Slinky fibre also works well in lieu of bucktail.

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 10:41pm
Steve - those look great!Clap

Christmas Island?

What material did you use for the wing?

Posted By: igfafly
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 11:36pm
hehehe - who told you now ???? Yep off there on a 9 day trip - can't wait.

Last caught bones at New Caledonia when the incumbent knob gobbler tried to run me out - French poof ! Had a rather tasty girlie he did too !

Used the "Just Add H2O" products for this too - slinky fibre for wing, krystal Flash for body and tail, bead chain eyes for shallow water flies and brass dumbells of differing sizes for the deeper water ones.

Cheers

SteveB

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 8:37am
Steve - p.64 of FlyLife #62 Tying Instructions for the Chili Pepper - a Christmas Island fly...

Your top 2 flies looked similar, although the Chili Pepper has a green head...Smile

Have a great time!

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 7:23am
Originally posted by SteveB SteveB wrote:

hehehe - who told you now ???? Yep off there on a 9 day trip - can't wait.

Last caught bones at New Caledonia when the incumbent knob gobbler tried to run me out - French poof ! Had a rather tasty girlie he did too !

Used the "Just Add H2O" products for this too - slinky fibre for wing, krystal Flash for body and tail, bead chain eyes for shallow water flies and brass dumbells of differing sizes for the deeper water ones.

Cheers

SteveB

Looking forward to an epic trip report!

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 6:16pm
The ONLY good thing about the crappy weather - I think this thread started with a bout of bad weather as well Smile

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 7:26pm
Looking good there Neil Thumbs Up I've been telling myself that I should be doing some tying in this wild weather. Somehow though it's hard to get motivated. Too often I find myself tying frantically the night before a fishing trip. 

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 5:13pm
Some small Gurglers - #2 hook

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 3:50pm
have a mate who's a NooB tyer coming over for a few whiskeys and some tying tonight.  Always good fun!

wanted some new stuff to try tying and stumbled across this wee gem of a site.
http://www.aswf.info/multimedia/flytying.html - http://www.aswf.info/multimedia/flytying.html

plenty of great pdf's with step by steps! some lovely looking baitfish and squid patterns

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:51pm

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:57pm
good website St Paul,
heres some baitfish i have been experiments , I am pleased with these as I have just discovered the importance of triming. I am winding a bit of lead wire to off set the body materials.
tmc 880s #2 
Gamakatsu sc-15
dna fibre
ep fibre
and loon uv knot sense

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 5:22pm
Your tying gets better every time you post... although i found your post before the one with the flies to lack substance. :)

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 5:44pm
thanks clark , its a big  learning curve this fly trying . I find my attitude to flies changes so much when i hit the water compared to what i thought of them at the bench. The other thing I am finding is the while the fishing was busy ( summer ) i threw flies together very quickly , now with the weather being ****e they are getting a bit more attention.

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 6:05pm
You're doing great mate... it's great to see the evolution of anglers within this forum... I enjoy reading more than typing these days... it's great to see a dedicated bunch of folks out there taking on the adventure... fly rod in hand... time we fished together again!

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 6:18pm
righto , look forward to it.Tongue

Posted By: ShaunQ
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 7:05pm
Some clousers I've been tying and catching fish with, really like the Ice Fur & Fly Fiber lets you shape the flies nicely and they look great in the water.

[/URL]

Not sure if I'm getting the proportions of material right? I have tied some smaller versions on smaller hooks, it makes sense to me to tie extra and cut to shape afterwards although this is the more expensive way. The fly below I cant remember where I bought it from but I love the look of it, guess its a small squid imitation, but how do you tie in a taper like that? I've tried with just thread and it was really hard to get the taper nice and smooth, any tips would be great.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/squidfly.jpg/">

-------------
http://www.shaunquinlan.com" rel="nofollow - www.shaunquinlan.com

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 7:11pm
where did ya get that funky fur and fibre from shaun?

lovely flys BTW

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 7:42pm
Time for another fur bending session Shaun?  The taper there comes from tying the materials only half way up the hook and then using the thread to build the progressive taper.

Your flies look great though I am a bit worried about those hooks...

Give me a txt when you are free for a session... went out the other day and got onto to some great (acres) Kahawai schools and a few of the razor gang. Time we finally hit the water together.

I need to stock the boxes so we should have a few wines and tie some flies, plus your plate is still here LOL

-------------

Posted By: ShaunQ
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 9:26pm
Haha whoops forgot about mums finest dinnerware! Good to hear you exchanged the guitar for a rod and made it out on the water, damn those long toothy buggers.

I called into Rod & Reel in Auckland and stocked up on some tying materials, I've always been a big fan of Mustad hooks and the Gama SL's were like $1 per hook so I went for a Mustad 2/0 that had a long shank for easy tying and a slightly better value for the dollar. Next time I wont have to spend as much on feathers so I'll buy some super good hooks.

Be good to get out there, I think the snapper are about but feeding very selectively during the day, probly more at change of light morning and evening. Be keen for a bottle or two and a session at the tying vice, still got ya DVD's so will give ya a text.

-------------
http://www.shaunquinlan.com" rel="nofollow - www.shaunquinlan.com

Print Page | Close Window