Forum Name: Saltwater Flyflingers
Forum Description: A forum for saltwater fly fishing enthusiasts
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65441
Printed Date: 04 Aug 2021 at 8:44am

Topic: Who's been saltwater fly fishing? NZ
Posted By: FishMan
Subject: Who's been saltwater fly fishing? NZ
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 1:03pm
The weather finally halted a good run of fun on the rocks I've been having lately. No great fishing happening but the weather has been so mild that it has been very enjoyable out there. Great to able to go fishing and not get sunburnt! Good to have son Ben(13) alongside on every outing too.

An ongoing run of big kahawai has been the main attraction. The only trouble is that we have been fighting for the best spots with school holiday tourists. So we went out to the open coast and tried there, but no kahawai and no snapper of any size. So back to the harbour rocks were we found more big kahawai and some nice snapper to 2kgs. Walking further than the tourists paid dividends and got us into some nice fish.

Finally that warm wind has bought the rain. Stuck inside now.

Anybody else get out?

Replies:
Posted By: Bushkid2
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 1:27pm
Sev and I went out to Motutapu a coupole of days ago. we camped at Home bay with the idea to look for snapper around the rocks but weather and dirty water got in the way. Berleyed off the ferry wharf there and got some big (which now seems the norm) Kahawai and some average snapper. Boat fished just around the corner from there the day before and pretty much caught the same, Fish taken in 8m of water, fishing a clouser thing on a sink tip so they were coming well off the bottom to hit the fly. Plenty of fish everywhere at the moment. Just got my #8 weight back from repair so may have a little more fun as a #10 really is over kill for most fish around here. Nearly time for big snapper and big trout so time for more fishing effort.

Posted By: FISHBYFLY
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:32pm
been trying a popular waitemata spot last 2 days,
bait fisherman landing some horse kahawai,
me nothing,
thinking of trying some booby flys next time,
any tips on technique and flys for sucess ?
water is about 5 to 10 metres deep,
been using clousers,
a local crew informing me the best season is about to start with the big boys[snapper] coming in close.[change of light best bite time]

bit fustrating knowing those kahawai are there but not being able to intice takes.
any help appreciated.

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:48pm
 Fishbyfly, Unfortunatily berley seems to be the key if fishing where fish are not concentrated ( for me at least). You could always invite a bait fisherman to come with you and say you were not the one berleying.
 If using booby's etc, fish them just the same as you would for trout, on the bottom and a slow retreive... boring but effective. Soon will be a good time for bigger snapper, as the water temp drops the little ones move out and big ones hang around.

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 7:17pm
cheers for the tip,
tryed cubed pilchards today,
gotta be my presentation

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 9:22pm
Fish, your flies might be too big. Kahawai are often difficult. Particularly on guiding days. When they're tough I go down in size.. right down to size 8 flies. Makes a difference.

Also, the kahawai have been staying deep here. A local baitfisher cleaned up on a flasher rig with tiny strips of bait fished on the bottom. Sometimes the depth you fish is a big issue. 

Posted By: [email protected]
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 11:43pm
Got out today to the favourite reef for a couple of hours in the rain. Blooded the Sage on four small kahawai. Was going to target flounder but the tide was too high and the water was pretty dirty due to wave action from the Nor easterly. Must remember - ALWAYS take line tray/basket or the oysters will get your line in the blink of eye.
Also on the non-fishing days been doing fly casting practise at school next door. With the Sage I can chuck all but last 2m of a flyline now! Got to get my line hauling and trailing loops sorted ...Embarrassed

Posted By: Snuffit.
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 7:44am
No fishing, just tying, tying, tying, bring on Parengarenga Clap....

Posted By: Troutzilla
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 9:38am
Hooked into my first Waitemata harbour Kingi recently ( well two weekends ago )

Took the fly right at my feet - fish looked about a meter long or so. Peeled off 100 meters down current then came back in a large arc up onto the reef and busted me. Glad i got my flyline back!

Seriously outgunned on the 8 weight although might have been a different story if hed stayed away from the bricks. Landed a couple of nice snapper to 42cm as a consolation.

Hey Mark sounds like you got a new rod??

Posted By: matto
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 10:31am
good stuff Troutzilla , thats inspirational - 420mm snapper is a worthy consolation.

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 6:06pm
thanks for tip craig

epic capture on kingy.

great to hear everyones storys

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 10:57pm
Hi Jeremy,
Not a "new" rod, but it is is an RPL+ (8 wt) which I am finding to be a casting revelation after 15 years plus on my CD. The line speed is heaps better, appreciable even to a average caster such as myself, and the blank is definitely slimmer which is a distinct help in windy conditions such as Auckland is subject to. Now, just gotta to get past the 6 inch kahawai to something that will put a bend in it!LOL
Good to hear the snapper are still around, as well as the kingfish - was that your "off-side" reef spot where we saw one on our first visit?

Posted By: Salty-Fly
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 9:04am
Hey Nick - Is Parengarenga good through the winter season? Thx

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 4:58pm
Hey Neil, I've only fished there a few times which is why its such a treat, those who know say its a good year around fishery and its coming into trev time...

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 9:05pm
Hey Mark. Rod sounds great!

The Kingi was on the same side ie West but a little further along.

Saltfly we fished Parengarenga in may last year and got some nice trevally and a few snapper. There were loads of kahawai as well although no Kingis.

Posted By: Salty-Fly
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 11:31pm
Thx for Parengarenga info - you guys camp out there or stay close and commute??

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 5:47pm
Went for fish on the upper harbour this morning. Notice while wading the waters definitely cooling down.

Fished for an hour or so  - very quiet. Then the moment we all love as the weight suddenly comes on and line goes whizzing through the fingers!

The fish powered down current almost taking my entire flyline. The 8 wgt had an impressive
bend and the heavy thumps coming up the line suggested snapper.

After a 5 minute tussle and a couple more powerful runs I managed to work the fish up current and bring it to my feet. A 46cm snapper in fantastic nick with the thickness running right back to the tail. My new PB snapper on fly - stoked!

The fly was my first tied using the fish skull heads.

After ikiing and icing the fish I fished on and soon dropped another fish after 5 seconds or so hooked up. Bugger! Minutes later I was on again - unfortunately busting the 10kg leader after about 30 seconds connected, again plenty of weight there and a powerful first run. Double bugger!!

Anyway good to know theres still some snapper around - and theyre fatties.

Salty fly - We camped at Paua. No facilities there at all but an awesome location.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 7:01pm
awesome well done

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 7:47pm
Clap
Great result, Jeremy! - that would have been a tussle to watch. And one good reason to always have a 10 kg leader at all times! What would that weigh: 3-4 kg?

Date Posted: 01 May 2011 at 6:58am
Excellent well done Mr Zilla! Those oysters must play havoc on leaders. Go the skulls!

Date Posted: 01 May 2011 at 8:23am
Great fish !
i was there on the low/incoming to check it out for the first time , the tide kept me moving and a small kingie or big kahawai was busting bait where ever I was'nt !- those oysters are are not easy to run on. - do you use a stripping basket ? I was wondering about a roll out mat with sticking up cable ties ?

Posted By: Pole Dancer
Date Posted: 01 May 2011 at 10:28am
Good work!

-------------
http://www.clarkreid.co.nz" rel="nofollow - www.clarkreid.co.nz    FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier

Date Posted: 02 May 2011 at 1:53pm
Cheers guys - i was pretty stoked. Mark id guess it weighed around 2.5kg

Craig yes the oysters are real harsh on leaders and lines - ive been getting through a few snagged flies too! Have also really noticed the shootability of my flyline has decreased since fishing Meola.

Matto I dont usually use a stripping basket as i like to travel pretty light but its a good idea to manage line and reduce abrasion for sure.

Date Posted: 02 May 2011 at 8:08pm
Stripping basket is basically an essential at Meola unless you are wading and have a floating line - and even then wave action will usually see it around an oyster or rock. The plastic box type baskets look pretty cumbersome, but a canvas and netting design (mine is a snowbee supreme) is a few grams and can easily push out of the way to the side when required. Makes a good landing net too when wading in waist deep water.

snapper-basket

Date Posted: 03 May 2011 at 6:31pm
second that!
ive got a similar one,  saves heaps of frustration,
nothing worse than hooking a good fish then loosing it 'cause your fline caught on a snag as the beasty peeled line out of your hands,
their suprisingly light to and pretty cheap ,i think i payed about $50.00 for mine

Date Posted: 03 May 2011 at 8:30pm

I had to try my $2 stripping basket out this arvo , fished for 30 minutes and got two of these babys before th
is twister sent us packing, good thing it missed us by 200mtrs as I did not want to try hugging oysters. Very weird seeing building materials raining down into the sea. Immediatly afterwards a tidal surge pushed into the rocks

Date Posted: 03 May 2011 at 8:47pm
I think you win the "Extreme Fly Fishing" prize for this year!

Date Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:49pm
Hey Matto,

Nice work on the Kahawai

You could have used your stripping basket as a hard hat too if the twister got any closer!

Did it work ok?

Date Posted: 04 May 2011 at 6:32am
Excellent kahawai there Matto. That's a great spot. I wondered if anyone was there when I heard about the path of the twister. Well done at getting out of its way. I shudder to think what would happen if you were hit by a twister amidst all those oysters!

Date Posted: 04 May 2011 at 7:08am
Matto, I'm intrigued - with kahawai that big in the shallow water: did you get it blind casting or did you cast to a bust up?

Date Posted: 04 May 2011 at 7:29am
first fish was a 2mtr cast to a swirl close to the rocks , two  kahawai circled the fly and a second lob of the fly got a hook up, the fight was very lame , perhaps due to the close quarters . The second fish came from a blind cast into an area where turns had been diving and I had seen seen a bust up, an excellent running fight with several jumps . It looked like a few similar fish feeding around the place, tide was incoming , weather was not so good! Wolfie - I may have already collected my prize as I am found a nice little fly on the rocks - good to see what others are fishing.

Date Posted: 04 May 2011 at 11:17am

I have lost quite a few flies at Meola - even found one of mine a few weeks later at low tide - but useless as mud has turned it into a totally grey-black massCry

Date Posted: 04 May 2011 at 11:49am
fly will be returned to rightful owner upon detailed discriptions of lost flys over last two weeks  Tongue

Posted By: Rudy
Date Posted: 04 May 2011 at 1:31pm
Sweet photos matto!

Especially like the first one - gangster!

Date Posted: 04 May 2011 at 6:49pm
nice one matt,
great photos, loving the basket!

Date Posted: 07 May 2011 at 11:43pm
Got out today (Sat 7th). First look at Meola - water was opaque tea. Went to Pt Chev- water clarity a bit better and improved as tide came in. Not one bite in four hours fishing - as wind picked up,some rain and temps cooled. T.zilla paddled out to say hello and scouted around. Hooked three little kahawai on the wade back in as the kite sailers began to take over.

Date Posted: 08 May 2011 at 8:05am
Wolfie.. you will need to learn to take better photos Wink ... the Sage logo should fill most of the pic and the fish should be well off to the side Smile.
I went out in forty knots of wild nor'wester to a semi-sheltered rock to practice my casting in a storm. Caught very little of course- the sea was like washing machine. Only fish was a small snapper as I ran from a rogue wave.. that one liked fast flies. It did give me good reason to look at the weight of my flies. Realised I was low on flies with oversized dumbbell eyes. Really need something heavy to get down in turbulent water like that. The heavy flies actually cast better in a wild wind too.
But this was around the corner and well away from all the fresh coming down (although the water still looks pretty milky). I think you'll find Meola will need a extended few days of no rain in order to bring it back on the bite. Freshwater floats on top so shallow areas are stuffed first by rain. 
We've got a couple of 'up-river' spots here. Reygeart did really well at one spot when he was up- with plastics (heathen!). Now though, it's a dead loss. Far too much rain. It will take a good week of dry weather to make those spots fire again.

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 09 May 2011 at 8:35pm
Hay matto, I'm greatly disappointed that you don't show that level of dress etiquette when your on the boat. And I braved that tornado as well no commendations I see. Of course I was On the Motor-way in a truck stopped by police for fear of earache. but we are not quivelling.  Thought you said it was snapper. 

Date Posted: 10 May 2011 at 7:58am
nup , i am not going to bite mattoo

Posted By: ShaunQ
Date Posted: 20 May 2011 at 7:07pm
Had a great day out on the oily calm saltwater, first time its been calm and no swell in over a month, perfect way to spend a Friday. Lost my first two fish due to trout striking, yelled out loud at myself and the rod tip for lifting, really focused on the feel if the line and stripping hard on the strike for the rest of the day. Anchored up at my favourite spot up the coast in 6m of water and proceeded to berley up with cubed bonito. Managed to hook and land a few 35-40cm snapper, stoked to get my first snapper on the fly, they ended up coming right up off the bottom and I could see the snapper feeding on bonito cubes below the boat, hooked two more fish by letting the fly drift down the line of the berley.

Then motored back towards home and sat in about 3m of water right in on the beach, beautiful evening with glassy water, casting out and slow retrieving a clouser back along the sand. Hooked a beautiful trev that put up a good fight and came aboard. Really is a delicate process of feeling the first "bump' from the fish finding the fly, then a short and slow strip to pull line tight and wait for a slight change in pressure, then strike! Heaps of fun and a lot more time to spend out there polishing the technique, like tomorrow...

-------------
http://www.shaunquinlan.com" rel="nofollow - www.shaunquinlan.com

Date Posted: 20 May 2011 at 7:42pm
aaarrrrrarrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhh! Sounds like a great day, pissed off I couldn;t make it... this week.... How is Tuesday looking for you?

-------------
http://www.clarkreid.co.nz" rel="nofollow - www.clarkreid.co.nz    FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier

Date Posted: 20 May 2011 at 8:10pm
haha hope you got through that pile of work? Tuesday looking real good -

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/tuesdaywind.jpg/">

As long as my wrist isn't buggered by then! Your clouser took a hammering too, shredded by the days end so it must be the business.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2011 at 10:06pm
Out amongst the kahawai schools today, a good but frustrating day as they were all around the boat but seemed to be feeding very selectively. In the water were tiny 2-3cm translucent smelt, I had a much larger fly on to start with and wasn't getting any hits.

Switched to a tiny 10 size hook with a small amount of white crystal flash and although it looked very similar in the water, the kahawai were following but not taking. Tried a super slow retrieve, then a medium retrieve, and finally hooked and landed 3 big kahawai using a fast retrieve. Epic fish to battle and I was amazed that the tiny hook didn't straighten or break.

Never had trouble before with catching kahawai when they are feeding, anything you throw out seems to be taken usually, but today was different and although frustrating seeing fish following the fly and feeding all around the boat, its great that kahawai can offer so much with a fly rod in hand.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 May 2011 at 12:06pm
Follows but no takes or just nips by Kahawai virtually always means faster retreieve.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 May 2011 at 1:49pm
You coulda told me that yesterday :) It just seemed odd to me to strip line in faster than the smelt could possibly swim, but it certainly seemed to work. Plenty of snapper showing below on the sounder too but drifting in 12m of water so not ideal for the fly.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 May 2011 at 3:41pm
Bugger... time I sorted my **** out.... when the rain goes we'll have another crack... I've got lines will get us down 12 meters... :)

-------------

Posted By: Jofly
Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 8:15pm
Managed to get out from Leigh today for the first proper saltfly session in a long time.  Opted to go fly only since my shoulder is still a bit tender and also kept it at a 6wt trout outfit mostly.  What great fun.  The other two were fishing lures only, mainly various metal jigs/spinners and some soft-baits.

The morning greeted us with endless large work-ups right from the outpost as far as you wanted to go really.  I was up 3 kahawai before the other two even even landed one.  They were going a bit big initially but eventually they caught up as they could land these horse size kahawai a bitter quicker than I could with my 6 wt LOL

When the work-ups eventually died down a bit we headed towards Pakiri and set up a burly trail in the shallows.  Worked really well for about an hour.  A number of snapper (small, up to 32cm) and more kahawai.  Got hit on just about every cast.  Then it just stopped completely.  Not sure if it was tide or what but it just stopped.  Importantly almost all hits were when the fly was sinking or stationary.

Headed back to find some more work-ups and found some quite wide of cape rodney.  I was boatman so not fishing when my mate's reel started screaming as he hooked, what we thought at the time was a rat kingi.  Well it turned it to be a rather large skippy.  My mate was very surprised and really pleased.  His first.  Not on fly but still really cool.  Couldn't get another one so headed back in.

Absolutely great day with tons of fish landed on fly and lures.  I hope the fishing keeps going like this for a few more weeks!

Here's a pic that shows the size of the kahawai.  Great fun on a six weight.

Date Posted: 29 May 2011 at 8:25pm
wicked , fantastic bit of coast up there.Smile

Posted By: mike thomas
Date Posted: 30 May 2011 at 7:08am
Great Report, well done. That sure looks like some fun.
All the best.
Mike

Date Posted: 30 May 2011 at 8:07am
Yeah, nice work! Cool

Posted By: Xtoad
Date Posted: 30 May 2011 at 1:52pm
Is that the new rig Johan?

Date Posted: 30 May 2011 at 5:12pm
Xtoad/ Stu,
 Did you get to Noumea and have a lash with the fly rod?

Date Posted: 30 May 2011 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Xtoad Xtoad wrote:

Is that the new rig Johan?

Yeah, here's a couple of pics.  Really happy with it Big smile Have some ideas for mods but will do that in another topic at some point to get some opinions.  Don't want to hijack this one.  It makes for good reports on fishing.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 5:37pm
Managed to get out today for a few hours despite the SW.   Just anchored up behind Motuihe in some shallow water near a reef with a bit of current.  Set up a burly trail and within a few min had a bunch of small to med kahawai.  Unfortunately that was it and it died off as soon as it started.  I think the current was a bit much and our burley wasn't getting down deep enough to get snapper within casting distance of the boat.  Also a guessing game as I don't have a sounder at the moment.  It still has to be installed.

Saw a few birds near Crusoe rock so headed over that way.  Eventually had a few kahawai bust ups and landed maybe 5 in a short period on some lures.  I didn't have a chance to play with the fly rod as it was really close to the rocks so had to constantly stop the boat from getting blown onto the rocks.  Still, was fun to watch the kahawai madly chase my mate's lure.  Would have been a great spot for fly if there had been no wind.  They were right in amongst the rocks.

Trip back was fun Wink wind against tide.

Anyone else get out?

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 6:14pm
hey , jofly, i have'nt been out for a week or so - did some surfing during that last east coast swell, however i was a bit scratchy this arvo and went for a walk on meola - damn cold to be walking around up to the gonads on the high tide - four small kahawai for my efforts . I could tell you about some spots around motutapu that fish well on fly from a boat your size - I will send you a pm.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 7:57pm
Good effort Matto and pretty brave this time of year!

Better yet, send me a PM with your details, then I'll drop you a line next time I have a free spot on the boat and we can go and explore the spots.  Always keen to add a flyfisho to the mix Smile

Cheers,

Johan

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 5:38pm
thanks jofly, i wasn't fishing for an invite ( yeah right!Smile ), however would be pleased to show you those spots, basically north side of rangitoto ( gardners gap ) and administration , has lots of little pockets of fly fishable area - some of it is obvious , and a few seasonal things seem to happen relating to baitfish movements , what I like about the area on fly is that it is overlooked by the softbaiters due to the shallow area , and once again does not appeal to the bait brigade, but with gentle prospecting in a small boat can be good. good.ba.bay http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=-36.74841,174.901872&spn=0.033665,0.05343&z=15

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 7:50pm
Finally some good weather/sea conditions at Waihi Beach this week, lots of kahawai schools still about so landed a few large specimens when I first went got out there this morning. Wind picked up a bit by mid day and realised I had been drifting for an hour out into deeper water so turned the boat back towards land and anchored up at my favourite spot just out from a band of cliffs. Slow fishing from then on except for hooking a mighty big barracuda and battled him into the boat, was amazed that my 20lb leader held up to his dentistry or lack of. A quick stabbing session with the knife and back he went, another specimen on the fly.

Heading for home I stopped at Big Point which is a small headland and a change in direction of the coast line, has a nice little rock that sticks up just out from it and is a great spot for kingies in summer. I hooked what must have been another barracuda as I played him for a short minute then the line went slack, totally shredded line and broken at the hook knot, gutted, can I have another one of those over sized white clousers please Clark? Retied with one of my own clouser attempts, kind of a small green and blue version. Second cast and after about 5 short strips along the bottom the line came tight and I struck with a good strip strike, line peeled out directly towards the cliff face and I was just holding on waiting for a bust off. Managed to turn the fish after he made another few sizzling runs, then I had a beautiful kelp snapper at the boat, my biggest to date and I was stoked.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/snapperbyfly.jpg/">

Really nice to finally battle with a decent sized snapper they're great fighters on the flyrod and when your in the shallows and amongst rocky terrain the adrenalin is cranking.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 8:13pm
Well done Shaun Clap a nice pic and a very nice snapper Thumbs Up.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 9:10pm
Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 8:39am
good work , thats a cool fish. they fight really well at that size . nice you have the spines sticking up for your photo.

Posted By: StPaul
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 9:19am
Well done that man!
wish they hung about down here over winter.

Hoping to get out for a shot at some trevs or cook strait sailfish tomorrow (weather and work permitting)

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 10:20am
Thanks guys, I was sure this snapper was going to crash right in to the cliff and kill itself :) Very rewarding after a few fishless days out in the harbour recently, fish seem to have gone really quiet in there after a really good autumn.

Just wondering, a while ago I did some searching online to try and figure out how to tell the difference between a male and female snapper, more importantly a female spawning snapper. Although I release most fish I do like to keep a few for the table, however would definately release a female spawning snapper but it seems there is little to no way to tell. The only information I came across was that female snapper have a blue marking above the eye when they come into spawning season and are holding roe.

I did keep this fish as the fishing had been slow all day, loads of smashed up kina in its stomach and a very small amount of roe, then when looking at the photo I realised that it had the blue marking above the eye. So maybe this is an accurate way of determining the sex and spawning state of a snapper?

Here's a crop of the eye with the blue marking so you don't have to roll back a page to see the photo -

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/snapperspawneye.jpg/">

What say you?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 1:13pm
Awesome photo.  Love it.

Clap

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 3:39pm
yep , I think my  wife  had blue eye liner on when we had each of our kids !

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 3:41pm
I was of the opinion that all snapper had the purple mark above the eye. It seems to be most noticeable in kelpy snapper. 

The spawning colour that is definite is a black chin. This is most common in the males, but will occur in females too as they approach spawning.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 5:16pm
Thanks Craig I've never really payed much attention to the detail of snapper and haven't got a lot of photos to check if the blue marking is on all snapper, kelpy snapper definitely have a more pronounced blue to their spots along the topside of the fish.

-------------

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 5:31pm
Agree with Craig all snapper have some sort of blue above the eye, IMO very similar to bird feathers maybe its UV light reflective thing for them a display of some sort. Nice snapper too!Cool

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 6:07pm
awseome fish,
nice work,
BTW, get a real job,
no more of this showing off about going fishing in the middle of the week in perfect weather while the rest of us are sweating it out on the treadmill of capitalism!!

nah seriously,
carry the flag buddy,
im of to Rarotonga next week, so hopefully can contribute  to forum with photos ,storys soon.
never been there before so excited about possibilitys

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 10:32am
Well someones (usually me) got to do it Big smile I work a lot in the weekends if I'm not out fishing, usually to catch up on time spent fishing during the week, and if I have a deadline to catch a snapper by the end of the week then that must be met!

Raro sounds epic always liked the look of wading around lagoons in turquoise water sight fishing, have a ripping time and looking forward to seeing those pics.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 8:48pm
Slow week on the forums ay?

My finger, my fault Pinch

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 6:33am
Ouucchh! Not too sure how you got that one out Shaun. Good to see you got it in nice and deep!

And yes, the forum has been a bit slow. Always happens this time of year. I think a lot of people go and crawl back under their rocks when winter hits. I know I tend to. Even though its the best time of year for getting big snapper on fly.

I personally haven't been fishing in about a week. Last effort was a dead loss, but time before that was a ripper. I should be chasing some of these winter trevally that are about, but too much work on.

It's only a matter of time too before we start getting the fishing reports from all the lucky buggers who have managed to get up to the pacific. I've heard of a few people that have gone away and come back already. There have been some seriously large sized bones caught in Aitutaki. 

Bushkid stole the Sage Xi2 14wt off me last week for an exciting expedition he has got happening into the wilds of Fijian and New Caledonian waters. No doubt he'll come back bruised and battered by dogtooth tuna. Hopefully he'll tell us about it.

Me, I don't like the idea of going somewhere warm and then coming back to our horrible weather we have in August. Did that once and nearly died of hypothermia when I got back. September's the time. Bit hard to get away at the moment though. Trying to spin together a Far North trevally trip next week. It ain't the tropics but it's still pretty darned good. 

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 7:44am
no tropics for me this winter either , no shortage of fishing opportunitys but as the fly thing has sunk deeper (pun intended ShaunQ ) i am shunning my friends non fly fishing offers. I intend on a trip to waiheke rocks again soon, however i had a 3 hour window and did a rush hour dash to meola for 4x baby kahawai which I have donated as skip/dead baits for mattoo's fishing trip this morning. while they were small fish it was a hot bite and a chance to confirm my little dna fibre kahawai fly worked.
o.k shaun- how did you get that hook so far in your finger ?

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 12:51pm
Wow.

Bet at that stage you were thankful that you only fish barbless hooks, huh?  Wink

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 6:16pm
Just got back from out on the boat all day, pretty slow out there I spent most of my time drifting close to either the rocks or beach. Missed one good bite, landed 3 small kahawai, but no sign of big snapper in around the rocks. Also saw 5 seals lazing around on the rocks where I caught my previous snapper last week, ******* probly scared all the fish away, pretty rare thing to see them around here though.

As to the hook deeply embedded in my finger, I had been photographing some jewellery for a client and had a nice big piece of white perspex I was using for a background. Along the top edge I had drilled 5 holes and fastened 2 VMC hooks in place to hang the jewellery from. When I got home I was carrying the piece of perspex inside the front door, must have been walking super fast, and bumped it into the bottom of the door frame. My right hand slid along the top edge and plowed into the first hook, ouch I thought and was thinking it was a perspex splinter at first which are extremely painful, but as I opened my hand the shock set in.

No one else was home for another hour so I just sat down, opened a beer and took a few photos. This was a barbed hook and also had a long shank and small gape, so the most painful part was trying to push the barb through to cut it off.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/hookinhandnew2.jpg/">

As the hook was chemically strengthened it was impossible to cut with pliers/wire cutters, so out came the Dremel with a cut off wheel and the sparks started flying! This was a good method as it also burnt the inside of the wound as the hook would heat up with the dremel tool.

Just really happy this wasn't out on a boat or in a more fragile part of the body, haven't had an ear piercing yet touch wood Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 6:29pm
choice story!
 beer ,the smell of burning flesh and the whirl of power tools - ggghhhrrrrrr !!!

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 6:22pm
Just back from rarotonga,
it was quick trip for my wifes work,
sorry no photos,was on my own and didnt have my mailto:[email protected]@#t - [email protected]@#t   together!!
any way ,
landed a few Blue fin Trvs,
a couple of silver trevs ,
a big agressive Blue/ black fish[dont no what it was], but it really wanted my fly,!!!

and hasseled the crap out of a GT with all soughts of flys but no take,
and out as a group on a Charter boat outside the reef one morning we managed a nice 40 pound Mah i mahi[ on convential gear, so dosnt really count!!],
also had an moment with a monster black marlin[dropped the lure].
was no were near as much sea life in the lagoons, flats  as i was expecting,
but then again it is a highly populated island,
already making plans For Atu taki next year, thats got to be were its at,with al those uninhabitaded little islands and sand flats,
cant wait for a report from there on this forum.

ps average 26 degrees no wind, lovely ,lovely!!

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 5:30am
Adam,
Sounds wonderful! Fishing doesn't sound too bad at all for a heavily populated island. Any idea what the big blue/black thing was?

Posted By: whipstrip
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 11:27am
10 Days In Aitutaki Tough fishing for bones quite a few sighted lots of refusals 4 landed two over 10 lbs made my trip.
Yellow, silver, blue, stripe trevs, GTs,yellow snapper, Flounder, Queen fish were caught.
Guided days with Butch and E2 both great guides with different Styles well worth and a must if its your first time over there to get you in tune.
Friendly locals good food stayed at ranginuis which was perfect. Got smashed by some huge GTs these ones below are babys.
Will have more Info and story later only have a few photos so far my two Trophys were caught by myself so photos arent great selftimer wouldnt work or water on the lens but those two fish made my trip and year.

Posted By: EditB
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 11:36am
Clap Good stuff!

-------------
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 4:35pm
na no idea what that blue black fish was!!

Nice report Whipstrip,
im salivating,
looks like a healthy population of fishes over there,
loving those sand flats,
whats the acomadation like price wise?
i hear you can get water taxis to secluded islands?
loving that photo of Trev with poper in his jaws.

craig, been for that trip up north for trevs yet? 

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 5:53pm
Whipstrip,
 The bones in your photos look as if they have been tagged, is that correct? if so do you know any thing about the tagging program? Nice fish by the way. 

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 6:38pm
Awesome!!!  ClapClapClap

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 9:32pm
Paul,
That is good fishing. Aitutaki seems to get better and better. The anti-netting sentiments must be getting through.

Adam,
I was blown off a freezing cold Parengarenga today. Fishing was hard. Hooked one trevally that was fighting hard, but hooked pulled just as it rolled near the surface. Rain set in after that and I left.
They've been catching big barracouta at night off the Houhora and Mangonui wharves. That would be a bit of fun. 

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 8:34am
Thanks guys Like I said it was tough going somedays we were lucky to catch a Trev, One day its hot then nothing at all.
The wind Blew 24/7 took a bit of getting use to, Fishing with Butch a couple of days we did tag some fish
data going to the international bonefish folk in Florida, Butch will fill you in more Im sure.

Staying at Ranginuis was one of the cheaper places($75) but was perfect for what I wanted We were hardly there Fished hard for 10 days few beers at night and you were out to it , full kitchen, hot showers,right on the beach with good flats right out front.
Steves son Quinton does water taxis about $55 each to were ever you wanted to go plus Ranginuis had kayaks to use which gave you access to heaps of good flats.
There may still be some netting going on Ive heard but not as much, There are huge Bonefish here some guys have caught in there nets Bones up to 30lbs!! . I hooked one around 13-15lbs and it didnt stop.
There were lots of highs and lows these fish will test your nerves, Dont expect big numbers like Christmas Island but what Bones you may Catch will be Big.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 10:29am
what was the fly of choice for the bones?
or is that top secret?

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 7:41am
I am going to be there in six weeks, Going out for the day with Butch, can hardly wait!
I have some yellow and white clousers and some larger fishy looking flys for the Trevs and reef fish, I guess I should get some crab flys and maybe some shrimpy looking flys like gotchas as well?
I quite fancy hooking a tropical flounder like the one in the pic as well, did he fight well?
All the best.
Mike

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 9:11am
We Tied a lot of flys for this trip and ended up only using 2-3 different patterns, Poppers caught most of our trevs ( a lot of fun) along with any coloured Clouser.
Gotchas Tied sparsley with Sand coloured craft fur and two fine rubber legs finish the head with pink or red thread, Tie differenty weighted dumbell eyes on #6,#8.
That flounder stole my Fly from a bonefish that was charging my fly, They tend to follow each other around. The fight wasnt to bad.
I used crab flies with no success, Mike youll have a blast with Butch he will put you on to some fish.

Paul.

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 11:04am
Hi Paul, thanks for that. You got a Mullet as well!? I have seen heaps of these in the lagoon on Raro so I may have to give them a bash as well!
All the best.
Mike

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 12:30pm
Nice work Beadle -

Great looking bones!

Just like trout fishing hey, you tie a heap of different patterns and end up using the same old favourites.

That flounder looks pretty crazy - I had the same thing happen in Mexico - I pulled a 1/4 lb parrot fish from the middle of a school of bones!!!

Posted By: JOLLY
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 6:46pm
Do the Grey Mullet take flies here?

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 8:14am
Originally posted by JOLLY JOLLY wrote:

Do the Grey Mullet take flies here?
Yes, and no! They do, but they can be very hard to tempt. I have seen some pics of fly caught Mullet in NZ, so it can be done!
All the best.
Mike

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 8:40am
Grey Mullet - I've caught them on small Grey Ghost type smelt flies.

Wasn't targeting them, so a fluke I guess.Smile

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 7:54pm
45 knot n/w winds and an afternoon hightide did not deter Island paddler from showing me a couple of his spots on Waiheke. First we tried the sheltered side  before switching to the exposed coast and hunkered down behind a large rock with some reasonable water to fish. Very hard conditions and no mega snapper, kingis or trevally, however the humble kahawai saved the day. What a great fish , every one fights differently , they pull hard, jump and taste great. 

Posted By: Shilo
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 9:30pm
Yup, despite the lack of large fish and being restricted in where we could go, it was still a great day out.  Next time I'll get you into those mega snappers!

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 9:39pm
yep , a mega snapper would be nice.That photo looks deceptively calm that must be  the spot on the sheltered side.Great day , thanks again.

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 6:19am
Good work team Thumbs Up. Very pleased to see some are brave enough to fish in this weather. Me - I've raised my surrender flag and found other things to do. However - there's a bunch of winter porae out here that I've got my sights on for later in the week.

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 7:20pm
Island paddler and I got out again today , much better conditions and we managed to get some nice snapper up to 2kg, fantastic sight fishing to snapper amoung the rocks and kelp.Grant spooked one about twice the size while off potholing on his own, and outfished me landing 5 to my 2. While I was happy with the substance of my flys but managed to strike  early on three fish,doh!! hopefully lesson learnt for next time

Posted By: awawa
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 12:11am
what size are the trevs u guys getting on Waiheke on the fly?

Posted By: Shilo
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 7:14am
No Trev's yet, I expect them to move in close to the rocks any time soon but haven't seen any the last few weekends.

When they are in they range in size from small up to horses (mature Trev's with bumpy heads).  Landing the big ones off the rocks is of course another matter, but hooking them is fun while it lasts.

Print Page | Close Window