Print Page | Close Window

Waiuku and surrounding areas for surfcasting

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Landbased & Surfcasting
Forum Description: From rocks or beaches, here's the place for the landbased fishos to share information
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62767
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 1:15am

Topic: Waiuku and surrounding areas for surfcasting
Posted By: fish-feeder
Subject: Waiuku and surrounding areas for surfcasting
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 9:01pm
Hi all.
New fisher here.
Been surfcasting at the rivermouth at the end of kariotahi,caught a few,sproadicly,and am wondering if anyone knows of other good areas to fish from?
Also,what set ups would you guys say is best,ive been sold west coast rigs with the 6oz beachbomb/break-away sinker,does that sound a go?

Cheers guys.
Oops,jason's the name.

Replies:
Posted By: rocko
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 9:11pm
 That do the trick.. or just use a Ledger rig set up.. with long top trace.... @ the river mouth.. inside the bar is a huge basin.. look for the water current meeting the outside surf... usualy holds some big K Y...

-------------

Posted By: Brown Dog
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 9:21pm
Hi Jason

Quite a few good spots to choose from.

Mako Point at the end of Big Bay

Wattle Bay

Hamiltons Gap

There are others but I'm still learning myself. I find Paternoster rigs with 2 hooks work best for me with 3 - 4oz BOS sinkers, but have been using pulley rigs with some sucess lately.

Posted By: 4x4surfcaster
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 12:58pm
Gidday. Wattle Bay seems ok at the mo.  I landed a big bronzy there 3 weeks ago from surfcasting !! Went again Sunday Evening around 6pm, got lots of bust offs, a few good fights and runs but nothing landed !!  Thats Fishing, oh the current was really ripping out my 5oz B.O sinker with the incoming tide !!!

-------------
Kite Fishing Rocks !!!

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 1:04pm
cheers guys.
Is te toro anygood for surfcasting?

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 1:15pm
Been a few times to Te Toro for no return, just small snapper, although I have been told that it can be a good KY spot.  PM me if you want or send me a text, I often head out for a weekday fish or on weekends. Feel free if you want to join me I can show you a few spots.

027 242 7635

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 5:17pm
Te Toro is 5 minutes away from me.Ive only ever caught a big ray there !!!  

-------------
Kite Fishing Rocks !!!

Posted By: KEEN-MAD-FISH0
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 5:26pm
will watch this thread, iv been meaning to have a fish around home next time im up there, still have family out da heads that i go visit, off topic but do any of you know the guys that run "cafe alba"  Jarre, PK, Mianna and the likes?

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 5:35pm
Is that the Alba Cafe in Waiuku ?  I deliver food to that place in m y truck !!!

Im friends with Evan and Caroll up at the lighthouse.

Cheers

-------------
Kite Fishing Rocks !!!

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 5:39pm
yeh mate cafe alba in uku, i lived there from age 5 to 18 when i had mmy boy in 2001.  went to college there and errthing, karl bowsher is my name.  the people that own the cafe are my aunty and cousins, call in there everytime im up for a mean free feed, shot the cuzzy chef.  say hi to them for me if it doesnt feel to wierd.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 6:10pm
ive only been in uku for 2yrs,dont really know too many people.
My nephew has lived out here for years,jamie davies...you might know him....the local V8 nut he is.
So te toro will be ****e for fishing them?
Im sure Im using the wrong gear anyhows,no flashers or anything to attract the fish,just a sinker and two hooks.
Ill take a pic and post it for you guys to laugh at :)
If anyone local needs panelwork or painting,give me a yell as I need some work at the moment.............also a tattooist of 25yrs.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 7:52pm
Fish feeder.. PM sent jase... seems we now each other lol

-------------

Posted By: memnoch
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 9:15pm
Hi guys,

im a bit of a new guy too, How far do you have to cast out?, if there is a hole say if a hole is 30m offshore will there be fish in it?

Im thinking of hitting up kariotahi on sunday

Posted By: peeda
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 9:16pm
Hey guys, I'm based in Pukekohe so just around the corner from Waiuku. Have family who are market gardeners out here and have family in uku and at the heads - Bhana foodmarket.
Anyway I'd also be keen to head out these ways as I'm an aucklander and haven't really fished these areas. Be keen to go out on the weekend sometime.
My numbers 0211594911.

Cheers
Peeda

p.s - while we're on the who needs work sub topic, im an accountant.... :p

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 9:38pm
[QUOTE=memnoch]Hi guys,

im a bit of a new guy too, How far do you have to cast out?, if there is a hole say if a hole is 30m offshore will there be fish in it?   

only one way to find out cuzzzzz

-------------

Posted By: 12holden
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 9:54pm
Kariotahi goes well if you can read the beach and find an area worth fishing, we have pulled in plenty of gurnard, snapper and kahawai over the low tide out there.

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 10:38pm
The reason i asked is because i was there one afternoon a couple of weeks ago over low tide and no
bites no nothing.

We where about 500m north of the road. Was fishing in a rip where there was a hole about 30 - 50m offshore, think all we did was feed the crabs.

PM me if anyone is keen on doing a afternoon/evening there one weekend

Posted By: landman
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 8:07am
Hi Guys I'm in Puke I prefer to fish Hamiltons Gap to Kariotahi as there is less vehicles etc on the beach and the holes up there seem to be closer and a bit deeper. I have had good days and bad days there like anywhere I suppose but have caught Snapper / Sharks / Trevally / Kahawai / Hiwihiwi (black rock cod)/ stingrays/ Gurnard. It seems to fish better over the low tide. I normally only go there if the swell is a meter or less.
On the harbour side I fish Grahams Beach at low tide it can produce Gurnard/small snapper / Kahawai / Stingrays.
best baits seem to be fresh mullet /  Salted Skippie or squid
I normally only fish the west coast when the east coast ( kawakawa bay / Kaiaua area ) is to messy. Over there I strayline from the rocks targetting snapper my best fish over there last year (November)  is 7kilos.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 2:34pm
Thanks Landman for the tips. At Hamiltons gap is it best to go left of the rocks as you get on the beach ?  That big as rock looks awesum to fish off, but I would imagine outa bounds on an incoming tide. 
Ive fished the hole at Kiriotahi but only ever caught those horrible brown spiky coddy looking fish. They were a pain in the ass last time !!

-------------
Kite Fishing Rocks !!!

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 5:18pm
haha the gap, one of the sites where tangaroa almost took me for himself a long time ago now. havnt been back since. 

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by KEEN-MAD-FISH0 KEEN-MAD-FISH0 wrote:

haha the gap, one of the sites where tangaroa almost took me for himself a long time ago now. havnt been back since. 

You certainly need to respect that beach, cant get over the amount of parents who let their kids swim there.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 9:34pm
those black spiny cod looking fish, are they any good for eating? like in a smoker?

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 9:37pm
I always go right up the beach the thought of being cut off by that rock on the left puts me off going that way.Last timeI was there my wife saw a shark right in the surf there were kids swimming only 50 meters away. When up there please keep an eye out for the cliffs behind and dont leave gear up by them as the subside frequently.

Posted By: T_CARP
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 10:14pm
we cosistantly head left up kariotahi, never fishing the same spot (because the beach changes!!!!!), keeping an eye out for a likely area. we have not missed out on catchng fish in the past 20 or so times there. we have caught 70+ kahawai and about 9 snapper off the beach now, and gurnard. all these just in about 3 hour sessions, you have to fish the beach with the appropriate gear for casting long distances (sometimes you need not) and in under 2m swell with clean water, find channels, snad banks and holes. Kariotahi is fishing so well this season i would be honestly surprised if we missed getting anything for atleast 3months to come. 

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 9:58pm
where is the river at kariotahi? i have only been there one and we went north up the beach, i did see a stream but i wouldnt have thought to call it a river?

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 10:29pm
The Waikato River is at the southern end of Karioahi, It's about 7 Km's south of the surf club.

To add to what DTB has posted,  99% of those fish we caught on  pilchard tails, my favourite surf bait

As Tony mentioned we have been hitting the beach hard since mid november when the conditions have suited, and spent time finding and area of beach we think is worth fishing,  a 4wd drive makes life easy as you can just head south of the surf club and start looking.

some of the holes close to the shore ie 30-40 metres,  can work better at mid tide incoming when they have more water in them and the areas that feed them are deeper.  Fish the hole itself, or around it, same with rips, fishing the sides or out the back of it can work better than right in the rip itself

Tony likes fish a ledger rig and a J style hook, I fish a running or pulley rig, with a Kahles hook.
Both rigs catch plenty of fish, but i dont think a gurnard has been caught on the ledger rig, 4 or 5 oz breakouts hold well in the lateral current and surf/rip.

Stingrays dont seem to like needlefish skirts

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 10:40pm
ah ok your talking about the waikato river i was thinking what river at kariotahi

Yeah we dont have a 4wd so walking it is....

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 1:42pm
im heading down to the rivermouth tomorrow morning if anyones heading out.
If anyone needs a ride down,giz a yell.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 8:47pm
maaan,the fish were going off down there today.
I only caught  5 big KY's and a decent sized snapper,but others were reeling em in,which makes me think I am definately doing something wrong,or just not quite right.
Wrong rig?
Wrong technique,wrong bait,wrong area,all of the above is more likely!! :)
Still,the family ate a KY and the snapper for dinner,im wrapt as thats what its all about!

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 2:39am
great stuff!!!

Posted By: Big Jim
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

maaan,the fish were going off down there today.
I only caught  5 big KY's and a decent sized snapper,but others were reeling em in,which makes me think I am definately doing something wrong,or just not quite right.
Wrong rig?
Wrong technique,wrong bait,wrong area,all of the above is more likely!! :)
Still,the family ate a KY and the snapper for dinner,im wrapt as thats what its all about!
Sounds to me that you were just outside the hole or gutter there fish-feeder and had your baits on the sand bar. 5m further on your cast or 10m to the left or right and you may have got 5 snaps and 1 kahawai. I used to do the same but got better at casting and reading the beach.

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 5:09pm
Just back from the Port. Quite a few Kahawai caught !!! But not my me !!!!
My line just seemed to get sucked in the current and come back with red weed.
I did manage 1 good one tho and lost another in the surf,

Back another day....

-------------
Kite Fishing Rocks !!!

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 6:02pm
yeah i got one trev.
beach was full of asians that needed towing out most of the day.
Im gunna get me a "No i wont tow you out AGAIN sign"
Good to meet ya 4x4.

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 6:52pm

Whats the driving like on that beach?

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 7:23pm
been pretty soft lately,down low at lower tide its ok,but any time after round 4hrs from low tide,youll find it a little trying.
I tried to tow a guy out in a van,id say itll still be down there the next time I go.
They were going to stay till 7pm,high tide was a 6pm.....go figure

Posted By: bigdogg
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 9:17pm
hey karl, cliff allison here. havent seen you round since high school days. text me next time your up if your keen for a fish.  I go down the mouth from hoods landing setting the mullet net on the way, 9 times out of ten return with bin full of KY, bin full of mullet. 15hp 10 foot inflatable does the trick just outside casting distanceWink    0272907301

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 7:26am
chur Cliff, long time no see allrite bro, definately have to sus that mission out for sure.  not sure when il be in uku next as going to whangarei for easter, (farnorfownage il see u then) but 'mad keen'.  take it easy bro.

Posted By: "Scooter"
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 5:36pm
I live at Te toro,,go to the boat ramp to catch bait but that's it.
At night time low tides you can often see rays working beside the mud bank just down from the ramp.
My two best producing spots are a 30 minite walk north from Hamiltons gap until you hit the mussle rocks that run right into the water at low tide,,I wade from there another 20-30 meters out to a few rocks that are uncovered at low tide and fish off them.
Your going to get wet though,and I fish it wearing either a life jacket or wet suit"good spot for Trev's, KY,an a few snaps.
At the end of wattle bay toward the heads is a short reef an just beyond that another very small beach,this can be a good spot for Gurnard at low tide and the usual Manukau mix at and around high tide.
If you want to fish the incoming or high tide there "get there before half in and be prepaired to stay a while or get "wet" coming back.
Just around the corner south at hamiltons can be good "more so at night" but your stuck there once the tide comes right in,I usualy fish it from low to just before I'm cut off ,,caught two big 7 Gillers there one night last year,a few reasonable snaps an tons of KY over the years.
Don't fish off the rocks on an incoming,,you will get caught out sooner or later and there's heaps of rockcod there that always seem to swollow the lot.

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 12:05am
I'm at Te Toro too. Pretty much the only land based fishing I do these days is at Te toro targetting KY at night over winter. My best so far is 3.6kg. I only use flies or soft baits ... well maybe once in a while I use an unweighted bait or livey. where in Te Toro are you Jacee it's not a big place....

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 9:05am
I took my wife and kids down the rivermouth again yesterday,they love it there.
We got there at an hour before low tide and got some massive bites,two broken lines from a big pull on the line,but caught nothing till about 2hrs before hi.
We got three big KY's...so it was steamed fish and fishcakes for dinner :)
Anyone selling any surfcasting gear,wrecked both my reels yesterday....snapped the arm on a good penn reel and the handle fell off the winder on the other.....................thats fishin huh.

Posted By: "Scooter"
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 7:20pm
Smudge,I live on Cooper rd,,1st on the right after the hall.
Might try winter.
Cheers.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 9:01pm
got spare reel if you need one jason..

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 12:57am
We're almost neighbours. Lees Gully Rd here.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 7:45pm
heya Rocko,ill take ya up on that offer of a borrow brother.
Whens a good time to grab it?
Cheers man.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 7:50pm
I went back to Port again yesterday for low tide. Awesum, only 1 other fisherman here !!  Still plenty of big Kahawai around. And also that damn weed when the tide starts running !!

Going again tommorrow !!!Wink

-------------
Kite Fishing Rocks !!!

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 8:05pm
yeah you usually get the weed on the start of the incoming,only for the first hour or so.
There were some big ones out there on the weekend,I saw them surfing the waves well within casting distance,blew me away.Even saw a few leaping,looked to be a good size also.
Im fully addicted to fishing now,lol.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 8:18pm
call round tommoro night after work cuzz... drop one off for ya... give ya my addy so ya,s no where we is..you just round corner from me

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 8:14am
Went down to the Waikato River Mouth Friday night with a mate in his 4wd from Kariotahi 1st time I had been down there. Suggested to my mate we fish in the holes in the surf by the mouth as we might get a snapper. Snapper didn't eventuate but in around 2 1/2 hours we landed around 12  ocean going Kahawai kept eight returned the others I was using fresh mullet and my mate pilchards we both got 6 each. Spent Saturday hotsmoking the Kahawai and feeding the neighbourhood and ourselves. Hopefully get out east this weekend to find some snapper

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by landman landman wrote:

Went down to the Waikato River Mouth Friday night with a mate in his 4wd from Kariotahi 1st time I had been down there. Suggested to my mate we fish in the holes in the surf by the mouth as we might get a snapper. Snapper didn't eventuate but in around 2 1/2 hours we landed around 12  ocean going Kahawai kept eight returned the others I was using fresh mullet and my mate pilchards we both got 6 each. Spent Saturday hotsmoking the Kahawai and feeding the neighbourhood and ourselves. Hopefully get out east this weekend to find some snapper
How big were the kahawai?

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 8:27pm
I,ve caught them around 4kg mark down there.. fight like rat kings.. have you running all over the beach

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 8:59pm
What weight line do you guys use of the beach?

Posted By: SufixRockMan
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 9:09pm
i reckon you will find most guys use between 6-10kg mono. 8kg is generally enough

Posted By: pure--lure
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by rocko rocko wrote:

call round tommoro night after work cuzz... drop one off for ya... give ya my addy so ya,s no where we is..you just round corner from me

Top man rocko, hope your skull draggin that sh it out of some kings with the 900h

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by rocko rocko wrote:

Cheers man.
Im heading down tonight for the low tide,but I doubt ill catch up with you for the borrow.
Ill catch up with you one night after work this week if thats a plan neil?

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 8:10am
The Kahawai were around the 3kg mark and yeah your right they pull like freight trains a couple of times I thought I had a rat king on.
I use 10kg line as I use my reels for surfcasting over sand on the west coast and straylining off rocks on the east coast.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 11:30am
got loaded up lastnight,got to the end of the driveway and it started pissin down.........shoulda shut my mouth and went anyways.

So is the fishing still any good when it rains guys......yep im a greenhorn

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 12:16pm
You probably missed a bloody good fishing session, I shot out there with DTB on Monday night and fished over the low and a bit of incoming.  I managed a to catch a ray, and then lost the last sinker I had, DTB picked up 2 snapper, a gurnard, 2 small kahawai and a ray

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 12:40pm
so its best at low tide then?
I was thinking of heading down later today,couple of hrs before low tide.......hopefully get the family some dinner.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 12:46pm

low seems best, although i know a few that fish the rivermouth over the high and do very well.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 12:56pm
I would fish on the high but I only know one way to get down that far,in my truck,and if im caught down there on the high,ive been told ill lose the truck in the surf?.
Ive heard of fishermans gate,but dont know where that is.
I know how to get to the river at the end of the forestry road,but am not sure how much of a walk it is to get to the mouth at high tide.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 1:32pm
I have never really seen the point in fishing the high down there, I will throw the kontiki out at any point of the tide, but prefer the low with the rods.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 1:47pm
Low seem the best anywhere along this coast the fish tend to be congregatted in the holes waiting for the tide to spill over

Posted By: Seth
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 2:20pm
Might have to take the missus down for a cast on the low tide tonight

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 2:28pm
yep,me the wife and kids and the brother in law will be heading down tonight.
Im just hoping my reel wont bugger out again.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 5:32pm
Hi all, we heading there again tomorrow. Will fish the low through till about 2 hours after the high.I so wanna see a snappa !!!Wacko

-------------
Kite Fishing Rocks !!!

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 5:57pm
i wouldnt stay down there anywhere near 2hrs before hi tide.
I was down there today,hi was at 3.15 and I struggled to get back down the beach at 1pm,i actually nearly lost my truck in the soft sand mid tide.
caught two goos KY , more weed than fish though!

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 6:50pm
spare reel dropped off jason... not the flashest but do the trick...might get in touch over weekend

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 8:20pm
cheers for the lend brother,youre a legend.
No worries,give me a yell whenya keen man.
Cheers again.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:25am
hey guys.
Does anyone know where to buy cheap rigs and sinkers....im sick of paying $4 for a Breakaway and $8 for a rig.
Im sure I read something on this forum somewhere?

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:46am
DKM sell really good breakaway sinkers for less than $4, TM ones are crap.  As for rigs, make your own bud, not that hard to do

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 10:07am
Hi.
Where is DKM?
I would make my own,im new to fishing in general and dont have a clue how to make them.
I was told by the shop in waiuku that i need a sliding ledger rig for kariotahi,im sure they have a good chuckle at me when i go in there.
Do i really need a sliding rig,or can the hooks be tied to the main line?

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 10:25am
DKM is probably the place that you have gotten the advice from.  Any rig works but a sliding/pulley rig works better than most due to being able to cast further out.  If your in waiuku can show you how to make different rigs or just get an idea from here:

http://www.tackletactics.co.nz/Surf_Rigs.html - http://www.tackletactics.co.nz/Surf_Rigs.html

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 10:31am
I am in waiuku,on the main drag just behind the cemetary.
It would be good to be shown a few pointers,im new at this,and I love bringing fresh fish home to feed my young family....my kids are "hooked" lol.
Are there any areas I could take them fishing,like off a wharfe or similar?

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 10:40am
Mate, I live on Annieston place so if you wanna meet up after work happy to give you a couple of pointers and spots

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 11:01am
would it be any good down the rivermouth today....light wind.......a bit of drizzle......do the fish still bite in the bad weather?

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 11:12am

IMO for the waikato, on a 'normal' day the outgoing tide is better as the smaller fish will be closer to the edge as less current whereas the incoming will see them in the middle to get a good run up the river.  Bigger fish feed on little fish so...

On rainy days, depends on how much rain, too much will see less salt water so less fish like KY wanting to feed in the rivermouth, just right and smaller fish will feed on the sediment and other stuff being flushed down.  If its poo brown go home is my suggestion

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 5:14pm
well.....
we went down to the mouth,and hooked up after maybe 2mins of casting,my wife caught 2 good sized KY,I got 2 also.
They were full of crabs and what looked like the left overs of prawns/shrimps in the guts.
I couldnt work out why the tide was coming in alot slower than ive ever seen,even three hours after low,it was barely moving inwards?
saw quite a few fish jumping also.
Im getting a bit sick of KY,not the fish,just knowing how to cook it.
Ill be getting some manuka chips this week and smoke the three other fish we got,the big bugger the wife caught is for dinner............filleted and crumbed :)
Man....moving out this way has sooo much to offer for the kiddies,they love it out here.

Seth,Ill definately catch up with you for a few lessons on a few topics if thats cool.
Im flat tack most days,but if the weekend is any good for you,and you have time........im keen to hear your tips.
A good one would be how to keep the skin on my finger after casting...............im a little slack there,rigs snapping off all over the show,not sure why.

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 11:09pm
FF maybe you need a shock leader, a length of maybe 5m of 24kg tied to the end of your mainline to stop things snapping off. You will newed a nice slim tidy knot to go smoothly through the guides. Try baiting up with some shellfish baits when down the river, years ago I would get trevs and parore there on shellfish baits.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 8:18am
Jason...
If you are getting a sore finger from casting just put something over your index finger to give it protection. Try going to your local $2 shop (heaps of goodies there for the fisherman), I picked up a box of finger type sox that are perfect for this, a box of ten cost me 3 bucks!! Otherwise perservere with the pain, and after time you will find the skin builds up on the point of line contact.

Regarding your break offs you may find that your line is getting wrapped around the rod tip before you cast, allways make sure its running freely before you cast. I only use a shock leader on 6kg, otherwise on 10kg I have never had a problem with breakages. Also check your knots, uni knot never seems to fail for me.

Take Seth up on his offer, he is a great guy with lots of useful knowledge and allways keen to help.

I'm also pretty new to fishing and live in Pukekohe, I offten fish the Forest at Waiuku, so feel free to give me a PM if you want to head out for a fish.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 8:43am
Give me a call tonight after between 7 and 8:30 on Two Three Five Zero Nini Nine Seven Jason and will arrange something for this weekend if your keen.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 7:36pm
it looks like ill be a little pressed for time this weekend,unexpected work has been dropped on me.

I bought what I thought was a surfcaster today,16ft,1 piece,but its actually an albacore rod?
Ill take a pic and show you guys........what a stuff up.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 8:12pm
Got some diagrams of rigs/traces etc here jay bro.......can make couple oup for you take bout 2 minutes....

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 9:44pm
Fish Feeder, take it back if you can, then go see Tony at DKM, he will sort you out. 

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 12:06pm
I got it off trademe for 10 bucks...so cant really take it back.
I modified it to be longer on the but,so it can be cast properly and sit in a rod holder.
Woild it have enough flex to be good enough for a beach caster?
A mate reckons its an outrigger rod or something?
The guy at DKM said it was albacore rod,but has alot smaller eyes than a alby rod so buggered if I know.
its a relic though,that for certain...about 40yrs old he said.

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 10:04pm
very mysterious, post a pic....

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 10:21am
good plan rocko,thanks bro,i can only tie one type of knot.....a loose one :)
Yeah Ill post a pic of this rod,im taking it down the beach later today to give it a whirl.
It looks rough as guts with the add-ons i put on the handle though........should give the boys a good laugh when I do post a pic :)

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 12:07pm
Just give it a crack in the park by DKM's with a ball sinker in a tennis ball, that way if it decides to explode your nice an close to the doctors to get them to remove the bits embedded in your Wink

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 12:10pm
no sheet seth?
Can they just explode with no warning.....dang!
I tried it out in the back yard here and cast it around 60-70mtrs with little effort,so ill give it a little more oomph at the beach today and also take a pic for you guys to laugh at :)
Cheers for the warning Seth.

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 12:17pm
If its old and got some bruises then yep, sure can under load.  Guessing its fibreglass since it old so could be ok but you never know until you give it a good oomph

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 12:25pm
yeah its called a Purglas castmaster,so gotta be glass i suppose.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 3:42pm

heya lads.

hey im sick of paying for bait,and wondering what bait to be using down at the rivermouth.
What hook/bait combo should I be using to catch bait fish,and what sort of baitfish would I be  likely to catch down there.
Went to te toro today with the kids to catch some bait in their little baitcatcher,no such luck.
After seeing that snapper caught down the river,im keen on trying for something along those lines
I usually use a 5/0 double sliding ledger and 5oz Breakaway sinker,am I likely to get a good snapper on that type of setup?
Im also on the lookout for a good surfcasting rod/reel combo,but again,im unsure whats good and whats not,length wise and cast weight etc.
Any help much appreciated guys.
Cheers.

Hey rocko...whenya gonna get me catching fish the easy way brother....off yer boat..........watch me go green too Dead

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 3:55pm

IMHO mullet is pretty much the only bait if fish out west with but something use squid.  Pillies are useless as wont stay on the hook long enough in a half decent west coast swell.

Catching bait, Te Toro is a good place to  go, but night time only on the high tide.  Low tide just brings the big stingrays out which chase all the baitfish away.

Rigs, anything you use will catch fish if the fish are there, so IMO your better off learning how to read the beach to understand where the fish are holding.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 5:53pm
Pillies are Great, Bait Cotton is the answer to keeping them on the hook

Posted By: pure--lure
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 9:51pm
there good but not on the west coast baiting cotton don't make a huge difference mullet or squid or salted bonito

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 10:17pm
ahh,so im sorta on the right track there then.
I have tried pillies,but its a fine line between the hook being too think gauge,and the bait being to frozen (splits apart on hooking) or the bait being too thawed  and breaking apart on cast off or hitting the surf.
Ive tried mussles tied on with fluro rubber bands and cotton.
Ive tried baby squid,and even pillie and squid sarnies (....pillie inside the squid for bait longevity))
Ive had more if not the best luck with mullet,maybe the leathery skin holds it on a little better.
Ive not tried bonito,isint that skipjack tuna?
Ive eaten it and its not too bad actually...skippy that is........is bonito a small skip?
annnnyways aside from my tangent...........cheers for the pointers guys,I still think i could step up my fishing luck (for lack of a better word) if I look outside the box I was taught to stay in, regarding technique and what little else I think I know.
Im just keen to catch any fish...........for the thrill,not just for food,although thats an added bonus anyway you look at it.
Cheers guys.

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 1:03am
Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

ahh,so im sorta on the right track there then.
I have tried pillies,but its a fine line between the hook being too think gauge,and the bait being to frozen (splits apart on hooking) or the bait being too thawed  and breaking apart on cast off or hitting the surf.
Ive tried mussles tied on with fluro rubber bands and cotton.
Ive tried baby squid,and even pillie and squid sarnies (....pillie inside the squid for bait longevity))
Ive had more if not the best luck with mullet,maybe the leathery skin holds it on a little better.
Ive not tried bonito,isint that skipjack tuna?
Ive eaten it and its not too bad actually...skippy that is........is bonito a small skip?
annnnyways aside from my tangent...........cheers for the pointers guys,I still think i could step up my fishing luck (for lack of a better word) if I look outside the box I was taught to stay in, regarding technique and what little else I think I know.
Im just keen to catch any fish...........for the thrill,not just for food,although thats an added bonus anyway you look at it.
Cheers guys.
Wrap your bait up with some bait elastic mate. Takes abit longer but your pillies will stay on a bit longer and don't be shy with it. Snapper gurnard and kahawai have no problem taking a large bait such as a whole pilly. Also are you getting bites/ pick ups and just not hooking up? You may want to drop your hook size. I use owner 3-4/0 and mustad 4/0 demon circles as a keeper/sliding hook and have caught snaps up to 20lb on these size hooks and alot of other species including kingis from the surf and the rocks. I agree with Seth too. Learning to read a beach is 80% of the battle to finding fish. Generally if your losing bait to crabs and or catching kahawai your bait is on the sand bar and not in the holes that hold the snapper and gurnard. Casting distance my also be an issue.

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 2:53pm
a bit of advise needed.
is this an ok deal for the price?
I dont have alot of money to spend so I thought this may do me for a while?
Thanks guys :)

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 3:11pm
For what dude at what price?

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 11:40pm

Woops, sorry here's the link.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=359415518 - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=359415518

Posted By: SufixRockMan
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 1:01am
personally mate try and pick up a penn powerstick for 80-90$...those k-lab sticks have pretty small guides 

Print Page | Close Window