Print Page | Close Window

IRB's for LBG

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Landbased & Surfcasting
Forum Description: From rocks or beaches, here's the place for the landbased fishos to share information
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61385
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 12:41pm

Topic: IRB's for LBG
Posted By: FarNorfOwnage
Subject: IRB's for LBG
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 8:48pm
thought id start a thread on modifying IRB's for LBG use.  would be good to share/exchange ideas with others. 

Heres a few pic's of my rig (Arancia 380) to get things started...

-------------
out there doing it or STFU

Replies:
Posted By: chad
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 10:09pm
Thats a mint ride ! what are the arancia's like ?

Posted By: JK
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:06pm

Looking real tidy there Jon. Like what you have done with it. Reinforcing right to the rear...mean!

Will take a few pics of mine either out this weekend or will push it out of the garage.

Been looking in to getting a simple rocket launcher made up for 6 rods or so for a lil while now. Be good for those days out wide or jigging etc, not so much for LBG.

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:12pm
heya bro.  yeah great hulls, the 377 is the more common surf-lifesaving design.  the 380 was designed for rough inshore patrolling, is fractionally longer and beamier with larger diameter tubes (460mm).  very stable and perfect to modify.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:15pm

mean Jk like the sound of that haha!

-------------

Posted By: Kingie69
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 8:33am
mean machineCool 

-------------
elusive goat island night fishing club

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 1:13pm
what are they worth Jon?

Posted By: BeachedAsBro
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 12:16am
Jealous as - one day when the wedding's paid for and the honeymoons paid off and the deposit for the house has been saved and the babies have grown up... ah who am I kidding... jealous as!

-------------
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.

Posted By: ODL
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 9:24am
Originally posted by BeachedAsBro BeachedAsBro wrote:

Jealous as - one day when the wedding's paid for and the honeymoons paid off and the deposit for the house has been saved and the babies have grown up... ah who am I kidding... jealous as!

Aint that the truth...

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 9:40am
Not that expensive guys. Seen cheapies for $3500 and up on trademe but often the motor has more hours that my nanas 1970s honda city so ya gotta be careful what ya buying. gotta be careful with leaking pontoons and dodgy trailers too!

Hey Jon how did you re do those foot straps? They look mint and mine could do with replacing.

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 10:10am
Take a zero of that price JK and that's cheap...

I think i'll move on to a Yak before an IRB.

Posted By: SufixRockMan
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 10:28am
Geez, not that expensive...

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Oriel Oriel wrote:

Take a zero of that price JK and that's cheap...

I think i'll move on to a Yak before an IRB.

wouldnt even consider anything with that sort of price tag attached oriel.

There are inflatables and then there are inflatables suitable for LBG. Quite some difference there and it aint just the price.

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 12:17pm
i can imagine...for now though, i'll just have to stalk my prey the old fashioned way. 

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 12:27pm
is there an online dealer with prices? Im going to upgrade and get something decent. My knowledge of IRBs is pretty limited, is there any certain things you should look for before buying one?

Posted By: Seth
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 1:00pm
Although not an IRB but and RIB check out wavebreak.  Dual layer tubes, alloy hull and bullet proof.  Will be my next boat

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 9:47am
Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Not that expensive guys. Seen cheapies for $3500 and up on trademe but often the motor has more hours that my nanas 1970s honda city so ya gotta be careful what ya buying. gotta be careful with leaking pontoons and dodgy trailers too!

Hey Jon how did you re do those foot straps? They look mint and mine could do with replacing.

Tell me about it mate... I've got a big ol' roll of insertion grade 1.5mm neoprene and a bungy tie-off anchor system sitting in the garage for when the time is right Big smile

-------------
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.

Posted By: Boz19
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 12:21pm

Ok so it's not an IRB and not overly modified but this is a pic of our RIB in action.
Shoreline off the bow and bungy back-anchored off the stern.
Chilly bin sitting in the back, console in the middle contains the gas tank n few bits n pieces, console up the front (not visible here) for dry stuff, baitboard on pole also.
Not the ideal setup for LBG but it has done the job so far and gets used for softbaiting and jigging also, so has to be dual purpose.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 8:57pm
Sweet as rig Boz thanks for sharing mate! very nice.  defenitely a versatile looking craft Thumbs Up

I bet you and deacs cant wait to nose her round maria ways.

Will take some pics of how i renewed the footstraps JK.  its heavy-duty polyester webbing, got it from john hewinson in whanga's. 

-------------

Posted By: long john
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Seth Seth wrote:

Although not an IRB but and RIB check out wavebreak.  Dual layer tubes, alloy hull and bullet proof.  Will be my next boat

and at $20,000, they'll sell like hot cakes! Horses for courses bro and as a hack to get you a few kays to the bricks........?

-------------
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club

Posted By: T_CARP
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 10:27pm
the arancias are the go! Paid $7200 for mine with a new motor 3-4 years ago, would, and will definatly get another, has caught multiple thousand snapper, landed on lots of rocks and covered many hundred miles. love it!

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 8:06am
where did you buy it from bro?

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:41am
Originally posted by long john long john wrote:

Originally posted by Seth Seth wrote:

and at $20,000, they'll sell like hot cakes! Horses for courses bro and as a hack to get you a few kays to the bricks........?
Nah long john, more of a hack to beach launch off the west coast and out to the 30 - 60m mark, bar crossings, hopefully out to an island with a shed load of gear to camp on up far north thats on the 100m contour line to start and then go from there Confused.  Oh and one on my walks to get to a spot of 12.2k's... one way.Ouch

Looking at the 3.65m - 4m one teamed up to either a yammy 50 2s tiller or 40hp 4s tiller, electric start with manual backup, insertion grade neoprane from front to back for a bit of extra protection nosing up to the rock and a small strip on the inside  to protect against snapper spikes.  just need to wait for a new job op that I potentialy will have in the next 3 weeks then all on

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 11:37am

nicely done death to below, that was the hell deal!  mine came from INOV8A, i just rebuilt it completely for cosmetic reasons. 

chad, for the surf-lifesaving clubs to replace one of thier 377 hulls cost just over $17k.  the best bet is to keep looking on Trademe or ring around a few clubs.  Not long before xmas one of Tairua's club boats was on trademe.  it was flawless, got snapped up real quick. 

took a couple of pics for you of the old footstraps JK.  I just cut/melted (with a sharp knife on the gas cooker)  the new webbing to the same shape as old stuff.  screwed one side of the stainless plate in place then adjusted the other to suit foot size/angle then screwed that in place.
hope it helps...

end result (bottom right of the livie tank)...

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 11:58am
Thats bloody impressive, im sold on those, I had no idea they where worth that much. Yeah i saw the one on trade me, I should have gone for it !! Im thinking secondhand boat with trailer ect.... then buying a brand new merc so its fully reliable.

Are the modifacations for strenthining the hull costly? Diffinitly looks like the way to go. Even the live bait tank looks wicked, nice work. Going to do a trip northwards again in march when I get a decent break, hope to have something decent by then. Good thred this one, see quite a few improvements that can be made on my kit and what to look for.

cheers

Posted By: Telecaster
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 12:04pm
Love the livey tank. Does this beer taste fishy to you?

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 12:12pm
That livebait tank looks awesome bud, what type of pump do you use to run it?

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 1:11pm
yeah the reinforcing can be a bit pricey chad but worth every cent.  compare para rubber and skellerup's prices, pick the cheapest and go from there.  Glue Guru in Auck's sells Bostik 2402 in different size tins (start with a couple of litres).

lol good spotting Tele, used to have one of those expensive keepalive tanks but it smashed on the rocks, too brittle.  the ole coopers brew barrels can take a bit more of a beating.

yo seth it has a keepalive oxygenator inside, runs off a small gell-cell (12v, 8.5aH) battery.  lasts for ages.  great for picking up a few small ky's or half a doz or so fat ko'ees on the way to your spot if livies are hard to come buy.  easy to pass over onto the rocks too.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 2:12pm
Very cool bud.  Have a macs homebrew kit sitting at home doing nothing, sounds like its got a job now Thumbs Up

Posted By: JigNut
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 2:23pm
We use to use an arancia up north landbased around BOI's both east and west coast and futher north. Had a 30hp Yammy on the back and it was covered in BP lifesaving transfers and still had the original prop guard on it. Awsome little boats and easy to transport. 4 people could carry it down onto a beach where there was no trailor access. We armour plated the bow with extra hyperlon for durability when landing but that was about it.
Hope that helps.

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-Of-Synit-Rods/137662896327800

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 2:49pm
Keep an eye on trademe too for the insertion grade neoprene rolls for reinforcing - occasionally some pops up and hardly gets bid on!

-------------

Posted By: xsspeed
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 3:54pm
Nice pics and setups guys, will get some of my recently acquired RIB up here.

One question I have, where to get new scuppers from? The old ones gave up the ghost and previous owner rigged up some hose. Unless you pull them up and tie off, allows water to flow back in at rest/and even that doesn't stop the water. (they work fine when moving obviously)

Posted By: alan syme
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 4:23pm
i do not use mine for LBG but know the arancias well.

i have owned two of them, they are awesome boats and they go places that i would not take my 5.5 aluminum boat.

i have mine current IRB called ginga ninja with a 30hp 3 cyclinder, 2 stroke yamaha, it goes real well.

very stable, great for diving, fishing, skurfing and access to surf breaks, LBG spots.

they are very safe as they are made from hypalon which is much tougher than standard rubber on some other boats, also they have 4 seperate chambers. a stingray holed one of mine with a 110kg mate sitting on it, got into shore no probelm and then pulled it out. overnight it hardly deflated and still could have launched it the next day.

there was also a shark attack on an IRB about 2/3 summers ago up orewa/red beach area i think. they made it to shore on 2 chambers.

there are not many boats that can handle going through breaking surf waves. the ribs etc are all good for fishing but there is a trade off, they are heavier and not as flexible in the places that they can be launched, there is a reason why surf clubs use IRBs and not solid hull boats.

thundercats are all good too but tackle/stuff can go out the back and you have to lie down on them, IRBs you can sit on.

those blackdog cats look awesome too.

great livebait tank there also.

trademe is good place to buy, they get snapped up real quick or talk to current owners and let them know you are keen to buy, or talk to surf clubs and do the same thing, they replace them every so often. bigger surf clubs have more boats and more turn over of hulls.

you can clip the scuppers shut if you want to put on a buckle, otherwise do not worry about the water coming in, it will flush when you plane.

check out the arancia website, do a google search. great photos and details of the boats in action.

sorry this is more of a rant than i planned, i have not done much changes to mine except put the full tank up front as ballast and got a welder mate to make a rod holder.

use the chilly bin as storage and a game chair by sitting on it with gimbal under bum, works awesome!

last year i wrote 2 articles in coast to coast magazine about IRB game fishing.

blood splatters, gps, vhf tied in and chilly bin game chair

29kg wahoo

30kg wahoo

mates family outing on boat

fuel tank rod holders at front of boat

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 4:29pm

Here you go chad, although down the line in Waikuku

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Dinghies-rowboats/Inflatable/auction-344783727.htm - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Dinghies-rowboats/Inflatable/auction-344783727.htm

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 4:33pm
Yeah i was watching that lol thanks for bringing that to everyones attentionLOL

Posted By: cal25
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 4:41pm
LOL Watch out tho if buying from surf lifesavers.

I imagine the outboard would have, understandably, been thrashed.

im also hopefully getting an IRB this year....psyched!

-------------
Hard work beats talent, if talent doesnt work hard

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by chad chad wrote:

Yeah i was watching that lol thanks for bringing that to everyones attentionLOL

Gotta  make it sporting for you LOL

In saying that however its been on for ages due to the stinky on the back, willl definatly need a repower

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 5:08pm
Yeah thats what puts me off it

Posted By: LBGer
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 7:32pm
Hi All,
thought I would jump on and ask a bit of advice, I am planning to get a mac 360 for LBG - I realise its not as good for rubbing up against the rocks and it is a heavier boat, however I'm planning to use it for sea fishing as well and arent too keen on an inflatable for abuse of gaffs, knives and hooks. I'm thinking with a bit of care a mac 360 would still be a pretty good unit for getting onto rocks... especially as the nose is pretty stable for jumping off and passing gear off...
Any feedback or major disadvantages for not getting a mac 360 for this kind of use?

-------------
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 8:38pm
Hey LBGer - you should have a chat with Forsyth about his baby stabi (389 I think)... maybe more what you're looking for as it serves as a good rock hopper for him as well as fishing/diving platform. Stable as!

-------------

Posted By: alan syme
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by LBGer LBGer wrote:

Hi All,
thought I would jump on and ask a bit of advice, I am planning to get a mac 360 for LBG - I realise its not as good for rubbing up against the rocks and it is a heavier boat, however I'm planning to use it for sea fishing as well and arent too keen on an inflatable for abuse of gaffs, knives and hooks. I'm thinking with a bit of care a mac 360 would still be a pretty good unit for getting onto rocks... especially as the nose is pretty stable for jumping off and passing gear off...
Any feedback or major disadvantages for not getting a mac 360 for this kind of use?

small little mac, stabi etc are all good boats. got the good features of safety and stability etc. like anything there are pros and cons of them v IRB.

for me personally i prefer the IRB as i can launch on the beach thru big surf, cross west coast bars, it can be carried over rocks to launch and i do not need to have a boat ramp or be able to drive to the water to launch and retrieve. it is also very light to tow and planes easy with only a 30hp. many of these features are are things that i could not do in another type of small boat like a mac or stabi.

this is why i went for the IRB but i realise that macs, stabis have other advantages for other features/uses.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:06pm
Hmm, yes, I see the trade off between portability and durability - may be a cost to count.....

-------------

Posted By: INOV8A
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:20pm
Hey LBGer,

Mac's are NOT suitable. They are easily swamped in surf/waves and do not have the scuppers like the Arancias to remove water quickly. While a Mac may never completely sink, you could be tossed out, and lose all your gear. In an Arancia you would have to make a huge error in big surf to roll or flip them. Then they are pretty easy to right.
Mac's are not as comfortable to sit in like an Arancia is.
Yes they are a little more gaff/ hook repellant but its a small trade off.
We have never had trouble fishing out of them using hooks, gaffs knives etc. You just need to be careful.

-------------
INOV8A out.

Posted By: deacs
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:27pm
Not sure who said the surflifesaving boats engines are trashed but i think you might find they are the best looked after motors you will ever see.... something goes wrong with them someone dies....
I would have no problem buying one and would be my choice if couldn't afford something new and they came up.
Personally like mine and bozs aluminium bottom inflatable as great for trade off for both off the rocks and fishing out of..... (much better ride and fishability than a full aluminium and only really lacks the protability of a straight IRB as much heavier, much better to fish out of IMHO than them though)

Posted By: Blue Asparagus
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by INOV8A INOV8A wrote:

Hey LBGer,

In an Arancia you would have to make a huge error in big surf to roll or flip them. Then they are pretty easy to right.

loved the trips we have done in your boat Andy, do you remember a few years ago at the LBG nationals when Richard B rolled his one in the surf at the 90 and lost every thing.

-------------
Ultimate GAME Fishing Adventures. Northland

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 9:41pm

Dont have any places in mind that require a surf launch INOV8A, firstly mostly round Auck to Kawau, up north I fish doubtless more than anywhere so Matai and whatuwhiwhi are easy places to launch, Im not a huge risk taker....  I'm sure I may miss the odd adventure beacuse a surf launch is out of the question, but theres still lots of places that dont require it.... I'm thinking more about bumping into rocks - I foresee many novices swingin hooks and stabbing fish etc on board....Maybe after the mac I'll graduate to a inflatable....  

-------------

Posted By: INOV8A
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 10:00pm

I have heard of Mac's becoming swamped in normal waves. But your call. Smile

Ask Josh Worthington, I think it may have happened to him.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 10:13pm
I still remeber some of the knarly **** we did in your Arancia at the Cavalli's that day Andrew... Wouldn't be attempting aything like that with a plastic or aluminium hull thats for sure.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 9:06am
If only Wink, be able to take some serious gear out and being jet nice shallow draft to get to some hard places

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Motorboats/auction-345052266.htm - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Motorboats/auction-345052266.htm

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 12:08pm
'I have heard of Mac's becoming swamped in normal waves'
I find that a bit hard to believe to be honest - whats a 'normal' wave?  a normal wave at the beach? in the surf? in the harbour? I used 10/12ft tinnies for quite a few years and never got swamped by 'normal' waves despite being on the manukau, in the colville channel in open ocean off east cape etc in all kinds of different weather - one day i had to put on my toes in holes appearing in the bottom of a home made ali boat pounding on tauranga harbour but never got swamped by 'normal' waves.... the feedback I have read from mac owners is that they are better than tinnies in a number of situations.... but will ask Josh W about his experiences if he's owned one....
Cheers

-------------

Posted By: JoshW
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 7:26pm
Macs are great boats, excellent for softbaiting fishing, straylining and general fishing, they are heavy and ride/handle a choppy sea well but are wet and take a lot of spray. they are adequate for landing on the rocks and much better/safer than a tinny though landing is still not as easy as it is in an inflatable.

I have a 270 mac, swamped it twice, both my own fault,  and had we been a tinny we would of sunk each time, 1st time was when I was beach launching in 1m swell rowing (without an engine) a set came well and truly nailed us, the boat filled up but didn't flip and stayed afloat fine,  2nd time was when I was 17 when I thought I was bullet proof ,trying to land on marlin rock at kari with way to much gear in 2.7m boat with 3hp engine and fair bit of swell (still landing in these conditions would of been a piece of piss in a IRB), smashed up on the rocks, I went in the tide, boat filled with water, stayed a float, didn't lose any gear.

IMO Inflatables are much much easier for rock landings, surf launching and better suited to dedicated land based fishing, and more extreme trips, mac are a comfortable versitle boat well suited to inshore waters and rock landing in calmish areas.

Posted By: rusty360
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 8:22pm
if your loooking at a mac 360 check out the smartwave 3500 ive had both and would recomend the smartwave over the mac anyday

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 9:08pm
Thanks for the reply Josh, your feed back confirms the limitations I thought it had....... sounds about right for what I want to do.....will check out the smart waves too.... 

-------------

Posted By: eastcoastlbg
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 9:41am
hey there i myself have an ex surf arancia, im looking to reinforce it over the winter period i was thinking of using butynol rubber as this stuff is verry strong what are your thoughts on this, so with the glue you used is it a contact glue or a slow setting ive always used bostic 999 contact for any glueing etc i did reinforce an old inflatable but found over time it would start to peel on the edges, how did you go about this process, cheers

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 1:01pm
Use the Bostick 2402 - its a 2 part glue and is very very strong.

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by xsspeed xsspeed wrote:

One question I have, where to get new scuppers from?

I need some like on the Arancia's - does arancia sell these individually?

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 4:01pm

you can get the Bostik 2402 from several glue outlets in aucks eastcoastlbg, or you could ring bostiks freephone and see whos your nearest stockist for bostik and they will send it to them.  its about $20 for 500ml of the glue (part a) and about $45 for the little bottle of cross-linking agent (part b).  Part B lasts a longtime, enough to do two boats as your only using a drip or so per glue mix.

yeah xsspeed they sell both the underfloor autobailers and the hypalon deck scuppers seperately.  give them a bell they should sort you out.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 4:09pm
Had to buy new Part B yesterday from Glue Guru and yep $43 now.

Does last ya a while but goes off easy if it gets in air in to it overtime. Best trick is to keep it stored upside down (with lid on), that way no air can get in.

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 4:49pm
so how do you go about using glue  sticking rubber on etc

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 10:33pm
First of all patch any leaks in boat with orange hypalon material and glue as per below with boat completely deflated. Next day pump up hard, ensure no leaks and then plan your rubber cuts for the reinforcing (insertion grade neoprene is what most use in 3mm for the heavy duty and 1.5mm eslewhere)

Make templates with brown paper or newspaper and mirror for the other side of boat to get a professional looking result.

Cut 1.5mm rubber to template sizes and to suit curves of boat, put 3mm along bottom of pontoons for trailer protection and on centre line of nose pontoon and 1/3 down the keel.

Method:  Use belt sander to ensure well sanded neoprene. Also should either belt sand or hand sand boat to scuff the orange hypalon so it glues better. Apply mixed contact adhesive thinly and evenly on both surfaces. Let it go touch dry (5min or so), put them together carefully ensuring no air bubbles. Once placed, rub on hard. You can use a hot air gun on low/med to help conform to shape around tight curves.

can also put neoprene on any rub points where it touchs the trailer and on top of nose from foot traffic from getting in and out of boat at the rocks.

-------------
LedgeNZ LBG

Posted By: deacs
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 10:39pm
If anyone wants to buy some glue we have some I believe as our boat isn't hypalon when we thought it was but apparently German PVC....

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 8:09am
yeah could be keen on glue is it the same as what the guys are talking about cheers

Posted By: Downunderjumper
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 12:11pm
I have just bought a Nimrod 3.8 and am itching to start reinforcing and modifying it but first I need the baffles fixed as they have gone, can anyone recommend a good repairer? Also where can you buy orange Hypalon?

Posted By: snapper14
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 12:51pm
Arancia's are the bomb if you are hard core landbased. Been out with Andrew in his a few times and you can get away with alot in them.

If not so dedicated to lanbased soley or have kids to take out and want some variety any of the others boats mentioned here are options you just have to take a bit more care or pick your spots.

We've used a alloy hull Euro to get on and off the rocks even in about a metre plus of swell and it is fine as long as you keep straight.
I made up a fibreglass nose cone with closed cell foam under it against the hull and reinforcing off an old white water raft, with some heat gun shaped mussel bouy for the hard hit areas on the outside to butt up to the rocks.

It clips / straps to d shackles that were on the boat already and the tow point.

The deep V means it rides better than alot of boats, is safer to take the family in and is a bit more comfortable for trlling, jigging or bottom fishing.

Would have glued reinforcing to it if i was landbasing more often but the 'strap on' is a good comprimise.

-------------
If a man goes nowhere and theres no one there to see him, did he ever leave?

Munter - Outrageous Fortune.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 10:23pm
Downunderjumper - good score bro.  i bet you cant wait to get the ball rolling.  they quite similar to the arancia's.  not sure what you mean by baffles(?).  if your meaning the deck-scuppers you can purchase them from either arancia or lancer industries down in auckland.  along with orange Hypalon fabric.  use the bostik #2402 for hypalon-to-hypalon also (first cousin to the 2405).

snapper14  - thats the hell strap-on.  like how youve utilised a mussel bouy, tough stuff. 

thanks for sharing cheef Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 9:10am
Thanks for the tip FarNorfOwnage, I will call arancia today. As for what I was meaning by Baffles guess that was a poor choice of word, the cell walls that seperates the 3 cells inside the tube have gone. i.e you can inflate all 3 cells from the single inflation point. I am confident in carrying out external patches and repairs but would rather pay a repairer to take on such a difficult job.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 9:56am
I have been recommended IBR (Inflatable Boat Repairs) in takapuna in the past, their website looks sharp but haven't dealt with them.

There was a crowds advertising pontoon repairs on trademe a while back, not sure who they are or if the advert is still up though. Failing that ask the guys at lancer or arancia who they use or if they can do it.

Posted By: Torpedo
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 10:36am

Yep, would recomend Inflatable Boat Repairs also. They did good work on a mates arancia last year.

Posted By: infini
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 10:38am
IBR in takapuna are bloody expensive for what they do -  Call Dan @ Gulf Harbour Inflatables : fantastic standard of work and less than 1/2 the price of IBR!

Ive had a seam repaired by Lancer (on my Lancer IRB) also - they did a good job too :-)

-------------
Photographer
Fishing addict
Cold beer enthusiast

Date Posted: 01 May 2011 at 12:21pm
Is that a Mercury long shaft or std 15"? I bought a evinrude 25h.p for my irb and it starts to cavitate when coming onto the plain, the anti-cavitation plate is right on the waterline. So I have bit the bullet and purchased a new Mercury 30 longshaft, would like to know if I really need the 20" before take delivery.

Date Posted: 01 May 2011 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by FarNorfOwnage FarNorfOwnage wrote:

heya bro.  yeah great hulls, the 377 is the more common surf-lifesaving design.  the 380 was designed for rough inshore patrolling, is fractionally longer and beamier with larger diameter tubes (460mm).  very stable and perfect to modify.

Is that a Mercury long shaft or std 15"? I bought a evinrude 25h.p for my 3.8 and it starts to cavitate when coming onto the plain, the anti-cavitation plate is right on the waterline. So I have bit the bullet and purchased a new Mercury 30 longshaft, would like to know if I really need the 20" before take delivery.

Date Posted: 01 May 2011 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Downunderjumper Downunderjumper wrote:

I have just bought a Nimrod 3.8 and am itching to start reinforcing and modifying it but first I need the baffles fixed as they have gone, can anyone recommend a good repairer? Also where can you buy orange Hypalon?

Went to IBR and was sorely dissapointed! I required a patch on the bow, a handle that was begining to lift reglued, and the 2 internal diaphrams to be repaired. Was quoted "around $700" and told "cant get to it before the weekend but should be done mid next week" after over 2 weeks of hearing nothing I returned to find the internal work had not been attempted, a new handle glued directly above the exisiting one that I was told could just have the lifting edge reglued, and a patch which was fine but diffent colour to the boat. The price for this $200 and a "bring it back in a couple of weeks and we will look at the diaphrams"

Needless to say did not go back, emailed Lancer Industries and was immediately impressed with great service. Discussed the work via email.
Dropped the boat off and was emailed a written quote the next day, they had conducted a leak check as matter of course and could provide details of all faults (I knew there was a couple of leaks that I was going to fix myself) but turns out there were a few more I had missed.
Work was completed on time and for quoted price, I was called when it was ready. I have yet to get a break from work to pick it up but so far I am very happy with the service from Lancer Industries.

I will pick the boat up this week, from my dealings with Lancer industries to date, I have no doubt that the work will be very high quality.

Date Posted: 02 May 2011 at 11:08am
Interesting re IBR! As I said hadn't used them but had heard good things - feel kind of bad for passing that on now.

Good to hear re lancer though - I think I may go pay them a visit for the winter touch ups.

Posted By: Boz19
Date Posted: 02 May 2011 at 1:02pm

Have used IBR and the work they do is good but had similar experiences to the above with customer service very poor and hard to get the boat booked in.

Used Gulf Harbour Inflatables for last lot of repairs and was impressed with the service from Dan. Work was done quickly and for a very reasonable price. Will go back to GHI for any more repairs as required.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: hunter71
Date Posted: 31 May 2011 at 11:52am
what do you guys know about the red knight 3.8m IRBs.  I had a look on google but cant find alot about them, how do they compear to the arancias.

Posted By: Cabby101
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 2:58pm
Just purchased an Arancia ex surf life saving boat. Anyone know if you need to take off/cover up the BP, Surf Rescue etc

Posted By: Blindspot
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 4:02pm
Cabby101 I am surprised the surf club has not done that already.. did you buy it from a club or private?

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 8:47am
Brought it private. Guy before me brought from surf club about 18mths ago. Yeh good point, would have thought they would have been wanting to protect their branding & a condition of their sponsorship. I might ring the surf club national office and see what they say.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 10:07am
Cabby, yeah that and the fact you may be mistaken for a rescue boat... bad look if you shoot past someone that's drowning ;)

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 11:00am
Rang the national association, spoke to someone by the name of Nicole. She responded as though it was a bit odd that I thought they might want me to remove/cover the branding. She had no issue with it... Oh well, no harm in saving someone if I see them flapping their arms

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 9:42am
Cabby you might want to cover yourself and check the boat is not stolen, it is strange the club did not remove the branding. Does the boat still have the data plate attached?

Posted By: Torpedo
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 1:02pm

Wouldn't be the smartest thief if its still got the club he stole it from painted on.. i know my flatmates arancia was bought direct from pauanui with signage intact under the instruction to paint it over immediately. Speaking of which, can anyone recomend where to source orange paint suitable for hypalon? Cheers

Posted By: Kingie69
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Torpedo Torpedo wrote:

Wouldn't be the smartest thief if its still got the club he stole it from painted on.. i know my flatmates arancia was bought direct from pauanui with signage intact under the instruction to paint it over immediately. Speaking of which, can anyone recomend where to source orange paint suitable for hypalon? Cheers

pm sent

-------------
elusive goat island night fishing club

Posted By: Pico
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 12:27am
I'm finally at the stage where I've got enough cash together to get my hands on an arancia or similar. The plan is to pick one up soon and get it re-enforced  for LBG over the Christmas break.

I was wondering if someone could post some close up pics of the neoprene re-enforcing on their IRB, particularly how far they went on the keel?

Posted By: Tomatron
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 5:07pm
Menace.

Posted By: EditB
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Pico Pico wrote:

I'm finally at the stage where I've got enough cash together to get my hands on an arancia or similar. The plan is to pick one up soon and get it re-enforced  for LBG over the Christmas break.

I was wondering if someone could post some close up pics of the neoprene re-enforcing on their IRB, particularly how far they went on the keel?

Didn't JK post some instructional a while back? (might be good to sticky something like that eh?)

-------------
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 6:14pm
Yeah there's a few descriptions in various threads on how to apply the re-enforcing, just not a lot of images.

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 7:33pm
Best bet would be to visit someone and check theirs out. Nothing beats actually seeing it bro

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 10:38pm
I have one on trademe. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=535667540

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 12:03am
Originally posted by BeachedAsBro BeachedAsBro wrote:

Best bet would be to visit someone and check theirs out. Nothing beats actually seeing it bro

For sure, if anyone around Auckland's willing to show me I'd be very keen to have a look.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Cabby101 Cabby101 wrote:

I have one on trademe. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=535667540
Pm sent

Posted By: scuzzymoto
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 12:19am
this is ready to go, I know the boat very well,comes with a few goodies as well, can do a deal for Fish.net members

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/auction-507640184.htm< id="_npwlo" ="applicationpwlo" height="0">

-------------
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 10:35am
pico, come see mine... ill give you all the tips you need to get the job done.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Blindspot Blindspot wrote:

pico, come see mine... ill give you all the tips you need to get the job done.
Awesome, thanks man, will flick you a PM

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 10:39am
After looking at quite a few boats and a couple of near misses on trademe finally got my hands on a decent Arancia last week. Big thanks to Ben (blindspot) for all the good info he's been passing on.

Will keep this thread updated as I kit it out for LBG 

Deflated it fully yesterday and took out the floorboards to clean a bit of sand out from inside the hull. Been doing a a few patches where it's been scuffed up below the transom (where it's been dragged up the beach). Probably not necessary as this area will eventually be covered by neooprene but thought it would be good practice.

Posted By: Bungel_
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 7:44pm
nice one pico.

looks like its still in really good nic, will surely become one mean machine after a bit of work.

-------------
here fishy, fishy fishy.....

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 9:56pm
always pays to patch with hyperlon prior to doing the armour as hyperlon is much stronger and has a better bond then the insertion neoprene.

Boat looks awesome Ross, ill show you how to polish the paintwork where they have covered the surf rescue logo's... you'll never know the logo's were there in the first place... this is especially important if you are going to glue insertion over the top as the glue will easily peel the paint off once bonded.

Posted By: EditB
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 12:55pm
Good stuff Ross, will be good to see athe armour being put on step by step

-------------
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 12:50pm

Been slowly working away on the boat.

Sanded off the surf logos

Found a slow leak in one of the pontoons, whacked on a patch on so hopefully it's sorted.
Got the rough outlines done for the neoprene on the hull and the keel.

Will hopefully get the hull sanded and some of the neoprene on next weekend.

Posted By: Jwest
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 7:03pm
Nice work mate, looks like its gonna be a machine!

Print Page | Close Window