Forum Name: Fishing Reports
Forum Description: Share information about your latest fishing trip
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61007
Printed Date: 19 Mar 2024 at 3:05pm

Topic: tauranga fishing
Posted By: andy2fish
Subject: tauranga fishing
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 12:25pm
Got up nice and early for a fish this morning. Rods in water by 6.15am and no fish biting, moved around to several spots but just a couble of small fry. Friend who went out never had a bite so back at ramp by 10.30 with plenty others heading out. Anyone else have a hard day out of tauranga. We were targeting tarakihi and snapper but no takers this time. tried 3mile and 5mile and of papamoea but just wasted fuel.
It was good just to be out and see plenty boats moving around so maybe one of those days.

Replies:
Posted By: Rockyw
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 9:39pm
Yes I generally have a hard time catching fish in the Bay of Empty ( Tauranga ).
Too much commercial pressure on the fishery I think.  Last time I was out, in early December, I visited several spots during a day and half of fishing, and used berley, soft plastics, bait and slow jigs, and I only got two barracuda, two john Dory, one terakihi, and 8 legal blue cod over the 30 cm mark, and a couple of kahawai. I got no legal snapper, but caught lots of undersize models, and only got the John Dory because they ate the small blue cods caught on the line.  It seems there is a a lot of small blue cod at most popular spots in the Tauranga area, so when they all get bigger it might be worthwhile fishing for them. When I pulled up the pick to head back from Steeles reef, on the morning of the second day, there was a gill netter pulling up about a mile of net just outside the reef, and then he proceeded to pick up another gill net a bit further out.  At the same time, there were 3 purse seiners all working between Mayor & Karewa.  When I returned to the Bridge marina, MAF were doing a recreational catch survey, and when I bemoaned how hard it usually is in Tauranga, he told me not to feel bad, as most other recreational fishers were struggling, and even the charter boats were only getting single digit catches for a days fishing.

That is why I am planning to tow my boat North for my next outing, even though Tauranga is a lot closer, it has been a waste of fuel for the last 5 trips.

Posted By: six guns
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 9:57pm
I think its just geting to know the place. shot out with my boys age 3 and 5 got 6 snaps 11 terrs in two hours. try make a plan and execute it

-------------
skull draging and taging

Posted By: mackem
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 9:59pm
Tauranga in December is always hard fishing I find , to many people trying to catch to fewer fish , I don't bother trying through the silly season , wait until they have all gone home , the fishing usually improves towards end of Jan and really fires in Feb and March , save your petrol and soft baits and go and slay em in about a month ' I hope' Wink

Posted By: strx7
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 12:04am
tauranga from september to christmas is always hard going. 3 mates went out on boxing day, got a blue cod, gurnard, dozen snapper, 30 terakihi and a frostfish - in 28 metres of water.

change of light in the shallows up the harbour is always worth a go for a feed of snapper from november to april. or kings around struture with high tide at change of light.

Posted By: friertuck
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 8:23am
A couple of us went out to TePuna channel in the harbour Boxing day evening (Sunday) It was change of light 2 hours before incoming high tide and a sh*t load of burley, caught 1 small snap and 1 small eel. Fishing here is a lottery. Even 5 -- 6 years ago it was much better what's the next 5 going to be like.

Posted By: FarmerBrowne
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 9:13am
We have not had to much trouble coming home with a feed during December, but we have been fishing the outer reefs (tokoroa shoals, plate, schooner, astrolabe). Plenty snapper, kingis, trevs and kahawai in amongst the schooling kahawai.

If you are keen on a feed and the weather conditions are conducive I would suggest travelling a little further offshore.  That said we also picked up some nice 40-50 cm pannies around rabbit a couple of weeks ago.

All the fishing has been done using softbaits (darker coloured baits) or jigs.

Wednesday, Thursday & Friday are looking good so there should be no reason for some good fishing reports.

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 4:20pm
Must say it was not to bad at the boat ramp and everyone being good and sensible so far. The fishing does seem to be hit or miss this time of year. While i was clearing me tracks on the gbs deleted all the fish marks as well Bugger have to get some more and load back into it, never mind.
Back to work tomorrow so wil have another go next week and maybe try a evening fish like some have suggested. Thanks for the info and happy fishing out there

-------------
If only I could fly

Posted By: ancient mariner
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 4:24pm
Mate, go to the spot I told you about earlier in the year, it will work for you!

Posted By: DIY!
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 5:03pm
PM me the spot AM! 15 metres was ok after 6pm the other day - snapper are mouthing so have swapped to a very light drag then crank it up once the hook is set.

-------------
http://www.actionstations.co.nz

Berkley 2009 and 2010 S/B champ

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 5:54pm
No worries AM will be going there soon probably a week or so and when the tides right. Its been a little hit or miss in the harbour. Hopefully do a fish inside, first of the season and many to come I hope    

Originally posted by ancient mariner ancient mariner wrote:

Mate, go to the spot I told you about earlier in the year, it will work for you!

-------------
If only I could fly

Posted By: biggear
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 7:03am

well we have been doing ok right through december on the snaps and kings. Just gotta put in the time i guess.

-------------
Dont let the grey hair fool you!

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 7:39am
Will have to get some of your gps marks as lost all mine Only kidding
King's not a problem when weather plays got them sorted either jigging or popping all good. Just seem not so good on other spieces maybe need a few pointers. If you have a free spot sometime would be good to get out and see just how different im fishing. Can spllit fuel ect of all next week if your out if not no worries.
Be nice to get out today shame im working this week
Role on friday

Originally posted by biggear biggear wrote:

well we have been doing ok right through december on the snaps and kings. Just gotta put in the time i guess.

-------------
If only I could fly

Posted By: U357
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 8:21am
Went out to Karewa on the 27th, clouds of krill on the sounder, fish clogged the sounder screne, Kys, mao mao, trevs. hooked 2 undersize kings. Snaps were all too small. Lost my favorite silver Xrap to somethingCry, Lost something decent due to a hook breaking in halfCry, hooked a decent sized Marco on the last troll, these things are a reel handful and gave the Fin-Nor a work out, put on quite display leaping about and pulling string, the next problem was how to get the Rapala Magnum back, finally it de-hooked itself  which was a good result.....have now put a new trace on due to damage, so not the most productive of days but a hell of fun.   

-------------
404. That’s an error.
That’s all we know.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 1:08pm
Sounds like you had some fun at least
Will give it another go this week amoungst the hundreds goimg out there this week. Have got to get some more gps marks so if anyone can help would be nice.

Originally posted by U357 U357 wrote:

Went out to Karewa on the 27th, clouds of krill on the sounder, fish clogged the sounder screne, Kys, mao mao, trevs. hooked 2 undersize kings. Snaps were all too small. Lost my favorite silver Xrap to somethingCry, Lost something decent due to a hook breaking in halfCry, hooked a decent sized Marco on the last troll, these things are a reel handful and gave the Fin-Nor a work out, put on quite display leaping about and pulling string, the next problem was how to get the Rapala Magnum back, finally it de-hooked itself  which was a good result.....have now put a new trace on due to damage, so not the most productive of days but a hell of fun.   

-------------
If only I could fly

Posted By: Wanda_Ra
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 5:44pm

Hmmm, ive always found in the warmer months inside the harbour shallow spots around certain islands can really go off for snapper,and in areas of less than a metre in the late evenings. I tend to use fresh pipis and haunt the pipi beds if the ole lettuce is not to bad.Some of the places are so shallow its easier to anchor the boat up and walk to than try to get the boat all the way there.

if your out and see a gill netter dropping his net then anchor up just up current of the net where the fish should be, as they dont drop those nets  if there is nothing on their scanner screens.

-------------
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.

Posted By: Apteryx1
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 10:26am
We went out on 27th for a full day fishing and came home with zippo...apart from scorpion fish!
On 30th, left lkids behind this time and did very well on snapper (my best was a 12lb), and plenty trevs and terahikis.  Was a really good day although we had trouble getting lines to the bottom as the rat kingis were going nuts and grabbing the bait and even the sinker (when there was no bait!).

So some days are good and some are sooooo frustrating!!

Big smile

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 1:37pm
Yep very true how frustrating fishing can be. Went out today had some nice kawahi in the harbour then out but not to much biting out there. Next time out will have to take me jigs and go further out for a king or two. How far out was you for the snappers. Not had to many rats more problem with barry;s biting the tackle off.

Originally posted by Apteryx1 Apteryx1 wrote:

We went out on 27th for a full day fishing and came home with zippo...apart from scorpion fish!
On 30th, left lkids behind this time and did very well on snapper (my best was a 12lb), and plenty trevs and terahikis.  Was a really good day although we had trouble getting lines to the bottom as the rat kingis were going nuts and grabbing the bait and even the sinker (when there was no bait!).

So some days are good and some are sooooo frustrating!!

Big smile

-------------
If only I could fly

Posted By: fish i
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 8:17pm
We've been fishing most days and always getting as feed. Today = kings, terakihi, snapper, trevs, gurnard, albies and Skippies. Good mix bag. Rat kingies are in plague proportions. Plenty of fish out there, they are well feed thou. Just start to think a bit differently. The usual popular harvesting grounds are hard work this time of year. Use your charts, think currents and don't do what 99% of the summer crowds are doing. Everyone seems to be complaining about the bay, not us.

-------------
6th place in the inaugural Te Kauwhata Regionals paddle crab division

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 8:28pm
Good to hear fish i,
Will have to go a little further afield from the norm like you say. Thats a good mixture of fish was it on the outer reefs mentioning no names. Its my second season so still learning and theres a sh-t load to learn
Not knowing the current flows too well but got a few places that do well just need the winds carmer to get to them as a long way out.
Thanks for the info always good to hear fishos doing well in this area just means I must try harder like you say.

Originally posted by fish i fish i wrote:

We've been fishing most days and always getting as feed. Today = kings, terakihi, snapper, trevs, gurnard, albies and Skippies. Good mix bag. Rat kingies are in plague proportions. Plenty of fish out there, they are well feed thou. Just start to think a bit differently. The usual popular harvesting grounds are hard work this time of year. Use your charts, think currents and don't do what 99% of the summer crowds are doing. Everyone seems to be complaining about the bay, not us.

-------------
If only I could fly

Posted By: Grim Reefer
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 9:34am
found it a bit slow yesterday out around motiti so think ill take the advice aswell and head out to the further regions this next tripBig smile!  a bad days fishing beats a good day at work!  

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 9:40am
have to agree with you there anythings better than being at work, being out there in the piecefull and carm is A+. Just nice if you can bring a feed home as well to please the mrs
Originally posted by timboes timboes wrote:

found it a bit slow yesterday out around motiti so think ill take the advice aswell and head out to the further regions this next tripBig smile!  a bad days fishing beats a good day at work!  

-------------
If only I could fly

Posted By: Hamish_S
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:56am
I went out by my self for a lowkey softbait down towards karewa the other morning, fishing by 7m, 8 fish, all snaps on board by just befor 9, tryed for 30 mins with no touches for the last fish, then pulled the pin!

Home, boat cleaned, fish filleted by just after 10, not a bad morning!!!!

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 12:46pm
Thats good Hamish just getting into soft baiting nice time of the day and back at the ramp so early. Not tried around karewa as yet but may give it a go as not to far out. What size snaps did you get.

Originally posted by Hamish_S Hamish_S wrote:

I went out by my self for a lowkey softbait down towards karewa the other morning, fishing by 7m, 8 fish, all snaps on board by just befor 9, tryed for 30 mins with no touches for the last fish, then pulled the pin!

Home, boat cleaned, fish filleted by just after 10, not a bad morning!!!!

-------------
If only I could fly

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 3:20pm
heading up the harbour tonight, burley, shallows, incoming tide, evening bite time. as long as the rain holds away.....

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 6:05pm
Best of luck, let us know how you get on. Will have to do a night or late evening fish soon, tides should be good for tonight.
Originally posted by strx7 strx7 wrote:

heading up the harbour tonight, burley, shallows, incoming tide, evening bite time. as long as the rain holds away.....

-------------
If only I could fly

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 6:11pm
best of luck tonight bro, thinkin bout a solo o/nighter out at motiti next week when winds are right (mon/tues)if thats not an option will be hitting the harbour instead.First o/nighter in the bay so should be a pearla!
No Handbrake anymore so can go fishing weneva i feel the urge LOLThumbs Up

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:29pm
launched at 5:30, parked by the 1st marker you come to at the very end of the otumoetai channel out from fergusson park........ sat there for 50 mins for..........1 small eagle ray.  continued up harbour further, kahawai and terns crashing whitebait off the end of rangiwea, nailed 6 or 7, continued up towards te puna, into 5ft of water just off the te puna channel, burley over, out goes a pillie, enquiry straight away but didn't hook up.  had a couple more enquiries, went to check 1 of my rods, hello, we're hooked up.....  its 8:50. it would appear i'm hooked up to an express train. 7kg of drag is making alot more impression on me than the thing attached to the other end. after well over 100 metres of line had disappeared i made the descision to clear all the other rods, pull the anchor and follow the express train.  Some 20+ mins later the flying carpet at the other end called it quits and burried itsself into the te puna seabed.  I saw it at a distance.  and called it for a stingray not an eagle ray and probably 5ft across.  No matter how much pressure I applied i couldn't get the bugger to budge, and out boat hook was fractionally too short to reach the hua to give it an encouragement prod. in the end i locked the spool by hand and attempted to bust something, in the end my 40lb leader parted at the loop.  something to be said about offshore 6-10kg soft bait rod, shimano sonara 4000 reel and 14lb fireline.  I'd happily taken on anything within reason on that set up if there was nothing for it to bust me off on.  there was a few boats out and about up that way, didn't see anyone catching anything.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:56pm
well at least you had a entertaining night out fishing. better than watching the crap thats on tv . better luck next time at least you where out there doing it, good on you. If you ever need a fisho to help you out just give us a shout and I will give some more advise none of which will help

-------------
If only I could fly

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 9:11am
agreed with andy, much better than a night on the lounge haha, things can only get better on tha fishing front, and the ramps are slowly emptying out again !

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 10:29am
Have been very busy on the ramps timboes but must say everyone has been good and quick loading and unloading. Should have gone out this morning looking at the winds but better do the rubbish for her indoors
Might slip out in the morning tomorrow will check wind forcast tonight. Another few weeks and the harbour should be much better if not to much lettice weed around.
Originally posted by timboes timboes wrote:

agreed with andy, much better than a night on the lounge haha, things can only get better on tha fishing front, and the ramps are slowly emptying out again !

-------------
If only I could fly

Posted By: bumkin
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 11:09am
Hi strx Im in Omokoroa plauged with rays Clip a heavy sinker on your line drop it down  usually gets them off the bottom I hate/kill them Cheers

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 11:43am
Originally posted by bumkin bumkin wrote:

Hi strx Im in Omokoroa plauged with rays Clip a heavy sinker on your line drop it down  usually gets them off the bottom I hate/kill them Cheers

I thought of that, or dropping the berley pot on it - both of which came to mind last night after I got home.  I seriously doubt i could have raised the sucker despite being in 5ft of water, i'd have guessed ut would have been 40-50kg or so.

Posted By: landman
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 11:53am
Hi guys new to the forum was down at Tauranga over new years went out with my old man in the harbour softbaiting up and down by the Wharves we managed 10 snapper biggest 45cm all caught on nuclear chickens as the tide started running out. Also of note I caught a small blue cod by Matakana island as well which had a kingi following it.
Alll the fish were full of roe or milt so I believe the softbaits are working better than regular bait at the moment  as the fish really aren't hungry and are grabbing at the softies out of anger more than hunger.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 11:56am
thats a big one I have been lucky and not hooked into any for over a year but not to much else as well
Had a few nice Karwihi a few days ago biggest being about 8lb that went well, just of Omakaroa

I thought of that, or dropping the berley pot on it - both of which came to mind last night after I got home.  I seriously doubt i could have raised the sucker despite being in 5ft of water, i'd have guessed ut would have been 40-50kg or so.

-------------
If only I could fly

Posted By: PJay
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 12:42pm

Why?

-------------
PJ

Posted By: landman
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 12:42pm
The old man does alright in the summer and autumn on softies in the harbour we also picked up a trevally of around 6 lb as well it was good fun as I had 2 of my boys with me 11yrs and 8 yrs they were just dragging softies out the back of the boat and were catching them too.

Posted By: Uncle
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by PJay PJay wrote:

Why?

I hope you love eating them then bumkin.  

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 2:54pm
i have no issue letting them go alive,, it means more for the orca's to eat next time. i just like to see how big they are up close. 

Posted By: mxaone
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 3:03pm
And again the debate with tauranga fishing starts.
3 points. TIME, TIDE, PLACE.
held off the boat fishing untill boxing day done a few land based missions up the coast and coro during december with mixed results, most sucsess was at houmanga bay fishing from low to high during early morning,
Boxing day i followed all others mistakes, out to motiti early and caught naff all, in to papamoa then kaituna, omanu, tay street and NAFF ALL,
Finaly decided to listen to the wife and went to her fav spot down matakana and guess what,

3pm sunny as, 6 nice panies,

havent botherd going out side since THEN.  70 liters of fuel and wife having bragging rights all for 6 fish ,(no thanks)

The harbour on the other hand has been going off, have had five trips since boxing day and have got our limit most times. most of our trips are from about 9-10pm through to daylight,

My tips for the harbour at the mo are
1. NIGHT TIME!!!!
2. OUT GOING TIDE DURING DARKNESS
3. TUATUAS and  fresh jack mac has been the baits of choice.
4. LONG TRACES(1.5-2 mtrs) OF 20 LB AND LIGHT BRAID main line ( i run 3 kg) and a 1 ounce sinker running on the main line.
5. Try the area around the small sail/triange marker in the centre bank area, the weed isnt to bad around there either
The fish arnt really feeding hard so feel for the mouthing and hit them.
The best sofar was a 6 lber not huge but dam fine eating.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 3:51pm
why outgoing tide? my way of thinking is to catch fish on the out going tide you have to be in a channel, as thats where the fish will be heading thru.  in a channel = lettuce harvester.
In coming tide into a feeding area I thought was more logical.  I usual catch some good sized fish up the harbour. over the last 2 summers, we've generally pulled  at least 1 fish int he 6-8lb bracket per trip, but this summer there is NONE.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 5:50pm
i dont normaly fish the outgoing either i perfer the incomming but when out a few days go we ran out of incoming tide so tried a few spots on the out going and hit pay dirt.
i have been fishing both directions over the past week or so and have been landing more ish on the outgoing (dont ask me why as im no scientist but its been working
cheers

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 8:59am
The main thing is at least you have been catching, I think the night time (darktime) is best for inner harbour. I did have some good fish last season in the day the biggest being 42cm, but me biggest outside is only 43cm at the moment. There are some good size kahawi around as well which can add to the fun. Good on you for getting out there mxaone I should be more like you and get my butt out of the chair more often. Might do a evening one tonight but will be incoming with the tide being later. Sat out the clubhouse last night and thought on such a great evening way am i here and not fishing. Well at least I had a beer in hand and great views so not so bad.

Originally posted by mxaone mxaone wrote:

i dont normaly fish the outgoing either i perfer the incomming but when out a few days go we ran out of incoming tide so tried a few spots on the out going and hit pay dirt.i have been fishing both directions over the past week or so and have been landing more ish on the outgoing (dont ask me why as im no scientist but its been workingcheers

-------------
If only I could fly

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 1:22pm
might do an after work fish next week off matakhana tuesday or wednesday, swell/wind permitting

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 3:11pm

might do an after work fish next week off matakhana tuesday or wednesday, swell/wind permitting

Sounds cool hopefully be nice and carm out there and would work out a low tide fish. Not fished of there to many times, done a soft bait session and got 5 snaps and 1 john dorry early morning last summer

-------------
If only I could fly

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 6:07pm
hi guys
went out again last night( friday). got on the water about 10ish. It was a bid harder going managed to get some fresh jackmacs at sulphur point shiping warf and set of to our spot about 1 hour in to the out going tide 11.30 ish
didnt need  alot to get a feed so set a limit of 40cm caught 4 nice fish around the 43-45 mark and released about 5 or 6 fish around 36-40cm fairly slow going compared to our last few trips, came in at 4am. Had some nice snapper for lunch to day and have a smoked snapper,chilli pastr for dinner tonight.
The biggest bounus was, Ive been out for 4 nights in a row now  from about 9 through to about 330-4ish and aint had jack sleep in that time right, so when my wife woke me at 12.30 today i got up to,
The boat was complettely cleaned inside and out all bins, rags, rods everthing was cleaned spotless, motor was run in the tank and flushed and the fish were all filleted and waste disposed off.
the brownie points gods must be on my side this week eh.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 9:32am
Nice one mxaone wish my Mrs was like that, the only thing I would get is nagged . Didnt get out last night as the wind and rain got up so decided to give it a miss. Will let you know how it goes next time out and hopefully have a few snappers like you in the fishbin. All back to work on Monday for 1 week then start new job next.

-------------
If only I could fly

Posted By: ceebz88
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 10:42am
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can help me with some good harbour spots. Got a 13ft dingy with a 15hp and havent had much luck lately so would appreciate any hints and tips!cheers.

P.S if anyone is feeling generous can u please private message me some spots! 

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 8:28pm
Main advice is go late evening and night, friends have said they have done well with snapper up to 42cm in 5 mtrs with plenty of barley. Might and try and get out saturday evening when i come back from Auckland if weather ok.
Plenty of kahawi to catch at the moment

Originally posted by ceebz88 ceebz88 wrote:

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can help me with some good harbour spots. Got a 13ft dingy with a 15hp and havent had much luck lately so would appreciate any hints and tips!cheers.P.S if anyone is feeling generous can u please private message me some spots! 

-------------
If only I could fly

Posted By: ancient mariner
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 3:37am
ceebz88, will send you some info, but try it, not like the other muppets I have sent it to

It will and does work if you follow to the letter...............well most of the tiome anyway

Posted By: Brimel
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 9:38am
Went out 4pm yesterday, been doing ok on snapper off Matakana in about 10-12 metres of water, SBs have been getting legal snapper, smelly bait undersize.

Plenty of little uns in arvo, (Back to SB shop today as they were chewed to bits!) all thrown back, then 8pm as sun getting lower had hot bite 3/4s hour. 10 snapper biggest 42 cms, 2 XOS Kawahai, one weighed 10lbs, 11 year old loved bring that in on softbait outfit, and a good 5lb Trevally, destined for smoker. Back at ramp at 9pm.

This was our 1st evening fish, have been going 1st thing in morning and doing ok, but bite dying by 10am each day.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Brimel Brimel wrote:

Went out 4pm yesterday, been doing ok on snapper off Matakana in about 10-12 metres of water, SBs have been getting legal snapper, smelly bait undersize.

Plenty of little uns in arvo, (Back to SB shop today as they were chewed to bits!) all thrown back, then 8pm as sun getting lower had hot bite 3/4s hour. 10 snapper biggest 42 cms, 2 XOS Kawahai, one weighed 10lbs, 11 year old loved bring that in on softbait outfit, and a good 5lb Trevally, destined for smoker. Back at ramp at 9pm.

This was our 1st evening fish, have been going 1st thing in morning and doing ok, but bite dying by 10am each day.

Thats good fishing brimel going to try and get out saturday evening as well, not sure where. Will let you know if fish play ball

-------------
If only I could fly

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 8:38pm
thinking a bout doing the judea tavern comp this saturday looks like it may be a bit of fun based on lenth not weight 1st plc going to the team with the longest overall from 10 snapper ie 10 x 42cm snapper = 4.2 meters looks like good prizes, entry and prize giving at judea tavern,

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by mxaone mxaone wrote:

thinking a bout doing the judea tavern comp this saturday looks like it may be a bit of fun based on lenth not weight 1st plc going to the team with the longest overall from 10 snapper ie 10 x 42cm snapper = 4.2 meters looks like good prizes, entry and prize giving at judea tavern,

Sounds good what time it from and to, shame im in Hamilton in the morning will not be back till about 2 otherwise might have given it ago

-------------
If only I could fly

Posted By: friertuck
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 7:01am
Not been doing very well myself, when you say off Matakana where you inside or outside harbour? and  near entrance or further up. The fish drought has to stop for me soon.

Posted By: Brimel
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 10:43am
Outside of harbour and no further north than Karewa Island.

Been drifting only have not anchored at all.

Posted By: Busted!
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 11:50am
The funny thing with Tauranga is the fish are still there, we anchored up on 3mile and didn't catch a damn thing.  Bro dived it couple days after and shot 15 TK and a JD with a handspear on one dive.  The fish are there, the bites times are just so small and weather dependant the fishing is near on impossible to get right some days...

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 12:17pm
heading out after work tonight, either of matakhana or out by A bouy

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 5:49pm

heading out after work tonight, either of matakhana or out by A bouy

Good luck strx7 let us know how you get on

-------------
If only I could fly

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 9:04pm
15 knot northerly blowing straight thru the entrance against the out going tide it looked like a washing machine so didn't go near it, launch about 5:40, shot up of rangiwea, nailed 5 ky in qucik succesion on secret lures, drifted a couple of times on the top side of matakhana wharf, nothing happened, looked wet up the harbour further, so called it quits, back at the ramp 7:30.  healthy sized swell forecast for the weekend so i dont think i'll be doing any fishing this weekend.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 12:08pm

15 knot northerly blowing straight thru the entrance against the out going tide it looked like a washing machine so didn't go near it, launch about 5:40, shot up of rangiwea, nailed 5 ky in qucik succesion on secret lures, drifted a couple of times on the top side of matakhana wharf, nothing happened, looked wet up the harbour further, so called it quits, back at the ramp 7:30.  healthy sized swell forecast for the weekend so i dont think i'll be doing any fishing this weekend.

Better luck next time I did notice the wind got up and thought you might be in for a rough ride out there. If its too rough outside saturday will fish inside on the out going tide, will be trying a bit of softbaiting. Hopefully the weather will be good but if not at least we can give it a go inside and always a chance of a good fish.

-------------
If only I could fly

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 7:50am
shot out last night for a quickie in the harbour realy hard going only 2 small kys altho tide wasnt to my liking and tried a few new spots to no avail,

Posted By: snapaman
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 8:15am
We have had no problems catchin fish over this time.We have been fishing around town point catchin our limit of terakhi in a couple of hours u have to use tuatuas!!!!! or u r wasteing your time.Found most of our snapper caught close to the beach on softbaits 14m of water straylineing at plate and motiti very hard very short bite time u might be there 2-3hrs before anything happens.Plenty of kingis at schonner live baiting also Found albys and skippys at 100m deep behind schonner heaps.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 2:31pm
most of those places are a VERY long trip for people launching at tauranga

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 3:48pm
Wind blowing up so no fishing later, have to wait till next weekend now. Soft bait rods all at the ready with new braid just need weather to play ball.
Last time out at scooner rocks was about 3 months ago but will give it a go soon. Cost me about 25lt of fuel there and back so not to bad, better than going to Mayor.
Tides not perfect for this evening so will relax with a beer

-------------
If only I could fly

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 8:34pm
Had a dart out last night with a few mates, two boats, both did well down pap beach after dark. Launched 8pm, back at midnight, berley, stinky bait, 15m deep...

Nothing BIG, but a few around the 3 - 6lb mark so some reasonable fish around.

Big current east to west which isn't my favourite either...

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 2:08pm
Good that you got out Speedy, I will have to get out soon as getting itchy feet not been for nearly 3 weeks
I heard that the harbour fished well saturday morning with plenty snappers being caught but not where they were fishing.

-------------
If only I could fly

Posted By: Frogger
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 6:46pm
Got out on the harbour Friday night, got half a doz snaps. Finding the outgoing tide is the best and the the fish get bigger as it gets later. The later the better. Anyone had any luck up Omokoroa/Te Puna Channell yet? Bout this time last year it was nutting off but had no joy yet.

Posted By: biggear
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 7:12pm
took the kids up the harbour last night too. Had a ball on eagle rays and got a ky, snap and nice trev for dinner.

-------------
Dont let the grey hair fool you!

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 6:23am
Originally posted by Frogger Frogger wrote:

Got out on the harbour Friday night, got half a doz snaps. Finding the outgoing tide is the best and the the fish get bigger as it gets later. The later the better. Anyone had any luck up Omokoroa/Te Puna Channell yet? Bout this time last year it was nutting off but had no joy yet.

Had some friends fish towards Katikat in 5 to 3 mtrs do well that way I fished Of Omokoroa 3 weeks ok and just had Kahawia of up to 6lb but no snappers was early morning. All saying night best time and at the moment out going tide seems to produce best results. Tuatua and fresh Macrel seem to fish well at the moment but sure some pipers would do ok as well.
Looks like a wet weekend, lets hope theres a window to fish for a few years.   

-------------
If only I could fly

Posted By: tga fisher
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 3:20pm
Some good advice here guys. Must get out inthe harbor or outside Matakana for a softbait session soon. Used to fish the harbor a bit a couple of years back. Did find the outgoing tide better.
Cheers

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 11:31pm
Cheers for the feedback. Might give Te Puna channel another nudge this weekend weather permitting. Im more patient than the fish.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 3:44pm
weather is supposed to be POO, which is a pity as the tides are right and  there is no speedway this weekend so i'm free

Posted By: campbellc
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 6:31pm
Did alright on the shallow flats last night, 6 snapper 35cm+, a 3kg trevally and a few Kahawai. Anchored in 1m of water

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 7:02pm

weather is supposed to be POO, which is a pity as the tides are right and  there is no speedway this weekend so i'm free

Yes know what you mean
Might just see how the weather is later tomorrow just in case, fancy a evening fish

-------------
If only I could fly

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 7:54pm
Nice to hear your getting them so close in 1mtr of water. Anyone know when the snapper start spawning? I Got half a doz snaps (still with roe and milt) this morning as I needed a "fishfix" befor the weather turned to poo. 

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 1:11pm
Anyone keen to do an evening session one day soon? Sounds like there's a few on here that could be out there doing it anyway, so could formalise it a bit more and make a night of it - would also be good to put faces to the names etc...

For a starting point - if I said Wednesday evening next week - ie the 2nd Feb would anyone be a starter? Bring your own boat and gear, but work together to get the results...

Inside the harbour or out depending on weather etc? 

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 1:31pm
might be best to start a separate thread Mike?

( I'd be keenBig smile)

Posted By: DIY!
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 1:41pm
Yep weather permitting count me in 

-------------
http://www.actionstations.co.nz

Berkley 2009 and 2010 S/B champ

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 1:48pm
hmm i think i'm out that week

Posted By: unlimited
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 2:25pm
ill be keen on a lash out

-------------
keeping it reel

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 2:36pm
Have started a new thread in the briny bar

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=62137&title=tauranga-mission - http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=62137&title=tauranga-mission

Although we should keep this thread running for general reports on the Tga area - its been good to have it running. Uncle, you might even be able to stick it somewhereEmbarrassed

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 7:37pm
Hi Speedy, I'd be keen to do a joint venture evening fish. I'm out of town all of next week with work. But you guys go for it and count me in next time. Will keep an eye out for results from 2ns Feb.

Recon this week could be good, maori calander thumbs up, change of tides on change of light and I recon the fish will have been sheltering from the fresh water in channels so as it deseminates into the salt they will be out for a feed. So will I...

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 9:52am
Look forward to it Frogger - will be plenty of opportunities ahead.

We tested your theory last night and reckon you're right with you assumptions. Fished for an hour in the Te Puna from bout 7.30pm to 8.30pm with my boy and there was quite a bit of action. Only kept two, one nice one at 6lb and another 'well' legal one. Baits were only lasting a few minutes before being either stripped or eaten.

We only have bonito and pillies - but reckon some fresk mullet or kahawai would have been good too.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 10:14am
What was the water colour like Mike?
I haven't been near the harbour since the weekend but would have thought it would still be dirty. 

Nice pic of your young fella & his fish in the other threadBig smile

Posted By: Raptor 650
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 11:36am
Watch out for logs for the next few days after the floods.. I have just got back in after  a fish down off the Matakana firebreak and saw heaps of  large logs/trees on the way .( had a look down at the  raging Wairoa River on Sunday afternoon and saw all sorts of stuff floating past including someones maimai.)I'd hate to think what would happen if a trailer boat hit  a submerged one at 25knts!!Water is pretty dirty until you get out to 35 meters. Got a good haul of snapper on the long line but the soft baits which prior to the flood were going well were ignored today. From experience Ive never really done well on the softies in the murky water.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

What was the water colour like Mike?

Yeah pretty dirty, was wondering how things would go as it was way worse than usual. Pea soup basically.

It was definitely a reason for us staying to the slightly deeper channels - but don't know enough to say that there wouldn't have been fish up on the flats or in the real shallow channels. There were a few boats out, but everyone seemed to be in the channels - probably even deeper than us at a guess.

The floating logs would be an issue too - and that thought hadn't crossed my mind so cheers for raising that again BP...

Posted By: 13ft Fisho
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 5:24pm
Yes watch out for those logs, one close call just in the harbour on way back from TP channel as we shot back last night. Wasnt a huge log but enough to do some damage. Saw it at the last minute and danger avoided. Bit slow for us last night, only one keeper. Which is a lot different to a couple of weeks ago when every bait was getting nailed. Possibly was a bit to deep this time though. Couple of really good takes but trigga happy mate couldnt keep his patience! HEAPS of jack macs around at the moment. Livey down but no takers. Tides for next week looking good, lets just hope the weather plays ball. Great fish in other thread Speedy

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by 13ft Fisho 13ft Fisho wrote:

Yes watch out for those logs, one close call just in the harbour on way back from TP channel as we shot back last night. Wasnt a huge log but enough to do some damage. Saw it at the last minute and danger avoided. Bit slow for us last night, only one keeper. Which is a lot different to a couple of weeks ago when every bait was getting nailed. Possibly was a bit to deep this time though. Couple of really good takes but trigga happy mate couldnt keep his patience! HEAPS of jack macs around at the moment. Livey down but no takers. Tides for next week looking good, lets just hope the weather plays ball. Great fish in other thread Speedy

Some friends went out saturday morning in the harbour and got there 9 snappers each largest being 42 which is a good size. They where Ta Puna channel way in about 5 mtrs and use large baits with very long flowing traces to entice them with a good result.
Ne nice to get out weekend but weather not looking to good lets hope they get it wrong

-------------
If only I could fly

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 9:12pm
We got out last night for a flik. Got 10 good pannies and only a couple of throw backs with is a change. Tried the Otumoetai channel, very murky and no joy then tried off the Port TGA on the mount side, then the pipi beds on center ground. Got back to ramp at 2am so knackered at work today!!!

Good to hear the TP channel starting to spark up Speedy. Recon its gunna go off soon. If the snapper are anything like trout they should come up with the scent of of the fresh to spawn. There in for a nasty suprise by the interest in this forum hahaha.

Will give the TP a nudge on saturday morn it its not too ruff out there. I have had some of my best fishing in TP when a bit ruff. Frogger

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 2:02pm
Good luck with that Frogger! If it's 'ruff' I know where I'll not be!

Another dose of fresh water about to come through too... Should just be settling for us next Wednesday evening Wink...

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 8:11pm
went out last night to the TP channel.good fish to be had, every cast was getting nailed. Speedy i was in the same spot as last time you saw me. At my extra special depth though Wink kept 4 fish as that was all i needed for a feed, 35cm x2, 42x1, and aa nice fat 51cm. Was a PB for me as only had boat a few months so was pretty happy. great fishing though was nonstop the whole time, jack macs were everywhere yet again, few cubed up down the berley trail worked really well as all fish had cubed jac macs in the stomach

Posted By: jonocoogee
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 8:02pm
Got out today after the big storm yesterday. Expected it to be to lumpy to get out of the harbourand had to crawl out of the harbour dodging the giant floating logs. Once out we were suprised to find a glassy sea with a 1m swell which was dropping by the set. Tried about 15m of water off Matakana, water was far too murky from the storm water. Tried one drift through for nothing and moved on. We ventured on to Kawera, and parked up on the reef just to the North east of it. Fished 33m of water and found a school of snapper straight away. Between 3 of us we caught about 50 snapper in 3 hours, 30 of those legal size and 15 of those kept for food. Also caught a couple of rat kings and a couple of token carrots.

Nothing massive, all just school sized pannies but a good feed.

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 2:10pm
A fisho on a kayak put a long line out at Omukaroa and had a fair few snappers up to 41cm this morning. Surprised the snappers were feeding with all the fresh water and silt in the water, but just goes to show still can get a feed in these conditions.

-------------
If only I could fly

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 11:41pm
astrolabe yesterday

Posted By: Busted!
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 11:44pm
No shortage of those, shame about the blue water.  Hopefully it comes back soon, all is forgiven!!!!

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 7:11am
Nice kingi FB, how big was it, what was the water like at the Lab, did you see any other action.

Took my father up the harbour near Omokoroa yesterday for a fish and got 17 nice snapper up to about 2.5 kg in the middle of the day. The harbour is really fishing well at the moment.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 7:18am
Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Nice kingi FB, how big was it, what was the water like at the Lab, did you see any other action.

Took my father up the harbour near Omokoroa yesterday for a fish and got 17 nice snapper up to about 2.5 kg in the middle of the day. The harbour is really fishing well at the moment.
Not much else happened out there - plenty of surface bait (ky), green water 20.4 degrees, no sharks for a change.

Posted By: jonocoogee
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 8:34pm
thats a monster kingie, great stuff.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 9:00pm
Good king, need to get out there, just bought a trini jiggin set and need to break it in.cant wait

Print Page | Close Window