Print Page | Close Window

Sport fishing Vanuatu

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Destinations
Forum Name: Vanuatu
Forum Description: Vanuatu destination and travel info, advice and trip reports here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=59268
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 10:31am

Topic: Sport fishing Vanuatu
Posted By: Titahi
Subject: Sport fishing Vanuatu
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 6:17pm
I recently had the pleasure of fishing with one of lifes realy fishy buggers Russell Housby in Vanuatu.  Russell was recommended to us by Dean Butler, who told us "Russ would not take our money if he didnt think we could achieve our goals". If you have fished in Vanuatu in the past chances are you,ve met Russ, he often skippers or works the pit of some of the more renowned game boats in port Villa, he also manned the pit on Blue Dog for many years.
 Russ has recently, built a sport fishing machine Malolo, which can be used to target the large GT and Dog tooth tuna that frequent Vanuatu as well as everything else Vanuatu has to offer

Russ will be familar to readers of the NZ fishing magazine, having recently featured with his lovely partner Sam, who landed two world record claim fish, on a weekend away.

The boat is fully equipped with all the gear needed to make the most of whats on offer in Vanuatu, including a 1kw transducer, tuna tubes, C.D player, chilly bin and forward casting platform.  Russ has had Ian Millar custom make some beautiful  popper rods for inshore prospecting, as well as having a full array of tackle to take on anything that swims.
 Russ can be contacted via  http://www.sportfishvanuatu.com.vu/Home.html - http://www.sportfishvanuatu.com.vu/Home.html

If ya palnning on going to Vanuatu for some fishing Drop Russell a line, you wont regret it!

-------------
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"

Replies:
Posted By: Coxy From Gold Coast
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 4:39pm
Awesome doggie on the must to do list.
Cool little boat looks very narrow ?

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 5:24pm
NIce, wot did those fish weigh Titahi...is the shark a white tip reef or a bronzie bro?

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 11:12pm
I,m not to sure what they weigh, However I,m pretty sure no woman has caught one heavier on the line class Sam caught hers on.Clap
 The shark is a White tipped ocenic shark I think

-------------

Posted By: Kezza
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 1:47pm
I've fished with Russ in Vanuatu and highly recomend the experience....one of lifes good buggars....

all the best in ur new venture mate.

Will come and visit one day in the near future.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Capt Asparagus
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 3:43pm
Shark looks like a Silvertip shark. Cousin of the oceanic white tip, bit smaller white patches on the fins. The silvertip has a white flash along the fins, the O.White tip has big splotches like a softball size almost. Very dangerous sharks!
The boat looks like the standard yamaha longboat type. Extremely servicable and stable, great sea keeping boats, if a little damp in a chop. The length vs beam gives them very good stability and means they cut the water really well, which is why a 24ft boat like that (I assume anyhow, 24ft is a standard Yam longboat size) only needs a 70hp mtor, and I bet it'll make her fly too!
That is one helluva dogtooth!
Wish I had a boat like that parked up at Zipolo Habu waiting for me!

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

Shark looks like a Silvertip shark. Cousin of the oceanic white tip, bit smaller white patches on the fins. The silvertip has a white flash along the fins, the O.White tip has big splotches like a softball size almost. Very dangerous sharks!
The boat looks like the standard yamaha longboat type. Extremely servicable and stable, great sea keeping boats, if a little damp in a chop. The length vs beam gives them very good stability and means they cut the water really well, which is why a 24ft boat like that (I assume anyhow, 24ft is a standard Yam longboat size) only needs a 70hp mtor, and I bet it'll make her fly too!
That is one helluva dogtooth!
Wish I had a boat like that parked up at Zipolo Habu waiting for me!

From memory there was a bit of discussion regrding the actual identity of the shark Stu, however it has been positively identified and the claims have been filed with the IGFA.

The Yamaha boats are proven you only have to look around at whats used by the moajority of Islanders in the pacific, Russ spent a lot of time fitting out the boat to meet his specific needs, including the addition of xtra stringers and a sealed floor.  
 The boats have a flat rear hull, which makes them pretty stable for their width, it also allows them to be driven in  shallow water, which is perfect for acessing GT spots. The length also makes two up casting, a  breeze.

-------------

Posted By: wanabe
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 9:10am
I have fished out of similar like it in Fiji and they are great little boats in the right conditions, would recomend to anyone going there as they do what you want in close, good to see them being use like that not many set up as it is.

would use him if I go there especially to get a doggie like that one  

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 10:03pm
Russell and Sam have just launched their web site for Sportfishing Vanuatu.
Heres a link to it

http://www.sportfishvanuatu.com.vu/Sportfish_Vanuatu.html - http://www.sportfishvanuatu.com.vu/Sportfish_Vanuatu.html

Have a look round theres some great photography in it!
Check out the  fish caught on home made poppers and stick baits in the photo galleryClap

-------------

Print Page | Close Window