Forum Name: Calamari Capers! Squid Jigging
Forum Description: Anything to do with squid fishing here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56595
Printed Date: 19 Mar 2024 at 6:16pm

Topic: Squid in wellington
Posted By: mole
Subject: Squid in wellington
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 6:06pm
has any one picked up any squid in wellington?

Replies:
Posted By: Furstimer
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 11:37pm
Tried along oriental bay but no luck...Heard from others that Burnham wharf is a good place but yet to personally do it...

Posted By: Fissure
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 8:22am
tonight would be the nightSmile

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 9:15pm
lets hope monday nite works, will try obay  and move round abit. 

Posted By: DeKay
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 9:10am
I've been told summer is best but not tried for squid. Only seen one while spearfishing in the last 3 years.

Posted By: flyfisher
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 1:55pm
I've caught probably half a dozen over the last 15-20 years fishing the harbour - always during the day, mostly around Seatoun / Kau Bay and all whilst fishing for Tarakihi using bait or small plastics. The last one I got was when the screen blacked out on the sounder, I picked them for pillys and sent the platic down to see if there was anything under them, but they were squid!

They are amazing wee beasies, all translucent and colour changing, they try to blend in with the chequerplate ali floor on the stabi, it's facsinating!!! Then they will squirt you head to toe in horrible black ink THAT STAINS ALUMINIUM PERMANENTLY! well does fade over time.

I'd say they are relatively common in the harbour if you were to target them, I also saw one last year swim past the underwater camera I use on top of my burley bucket, it shot past after oogling the camera's LED lights and never saw it again. I brought some squid jigs but have not seem them for a year or so. They are quite aggressive they way they attack baits and jigs. I use them for bait, but have eaten the last couple and they were superb.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who targets them, in Australia, this is a huge past-time of local wharves.

Andrew

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 4:02pm
gona have a go this arvo. 

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 9:21pm
no joy. had some look at the jig but wouldnt hit it. Friday maybe

Posted By: Furstimer
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:23am
Awesome at least you had something chasing it! Whereabouts in the general area were you? :)

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 11:11am
just bought a yama****A jig off mole and will give it a crack soon.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 7:28pm
obay and some of the wharf bits in evans . will be skulking round this weekend depending on work etc. 

Posted By: jaypeegee
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Furstimer Furstimer wrote:

Tried along oriental bay but no luck...Heard from others that Burnham wharf is a good place but yet to personally do it...
Hey Furstimer and all

Whats the official story on Burnham wharf.

Is it a restricted/Private  area?

With al the gates and stuff it looks like a nogo.
But posts and such imply that it is OK to fisg off it.

Does anyone know for sure?? It would certainly put muy mind at ease.
Cheers

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 2:25pm
forgivness is easyer to get than permission.....Wink   give it ago all they will do is move you on
 ive seen a few guys fishing there. will try it one of these nites. 

Posted By: bazza
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 3:41pm

They are amazing wee beasies, all translucent and colour changing, they try to blend in with the chequerplate ali floor on the stabi, it's facsinating!!! Then they will squirt you head to toe in horrible black ink THAT STAINS ALUMINIUM PERMANENTLY! well does fade over time.

Andrew
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for that bit of info FF.

As a completely newbie squid fisher was intending to take my
new alloy boat out one night soon, when the weather is more
conducive.

However in light of your comments re ink stains may have a
re think & maybe take out the toy ten foot tinny instead. At least
I can slap another coat of paint over that if need be.

With my record the new boat will undoubtably get messy enough
in a relatively short time .... however don't want it looking like
the tray of a bitumen truck just yet. Furthermore it has a protective
coating of nylac inside & out hich could suffer from any vigorous
cleaning.

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 3:42pm
I want to know more about squid in wellington. I love eating them and would be keen for a few explorations after the kids are in bed. 

Posted By: bazza
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by DeKay DeKay wrote:

I want to know more about squid in wellington. I love eating them and would be keen for a few explorations after the kids are in bed. 

Geez DK .... judging by the size of those scallops in your avatar
reckon you would be better off sticking to them.

Posted By: Rusky
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 4:27pm

Tie a bucket next to the boat with a bit of rope so it dangles just above the water.  Drop your squid into one and let it squirt out all its ink Bazza. 

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by DeKay DeKay wrote:

Mate I'm with you DeeKay

ALways up for a feed of squid

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 8:52pm

Wellies harbour makes for some big bivalves. I'd suggest everyone stays away as they are toxic and inedible.

However, I love squid and would love to be able to catch them but is it really worth the effort in Wellies?

Posted By: 2cold
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 2:08am
holy Censored that's a big scollie on the bottom right!! Good stuff

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 7:35pm
Yeah should be worth it, some of the divers iv been harassing say that there's good no's of the wee beastes  around but more from November onwards. you seen many round dekay?  thems freeking huge scollies. see any mokes mooching round the beds?

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 8:55am
I've only seen one squid in wellington and that was about 1km around the south coast 4wd track. I had dropped my gun while harassing crayfish so I could not shoot it. About 3m of water over weed and rocks. It shot off pretty damn quick. I don't tend to dive in the harbour that much, the moki I have seen around  the scallop beds are usually small and right on the weedline, normally only 4-5m from the shore. I do see quite a few moki diving around the south coast but I have given up spearing them for the most part. Mostly they tend to be very specific where they hang out and normally over very foul ground.

I'd love to catch some squid in Wellington, keen to find out where/when might be worth a jig...

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 10:01am
we'll have to get a few bods together for a squid mish soon when the wind pisses off and the water is a bit warmer? i'd be keen for a sess. with some fish.nettersSmile maybe in a couple of weeks or whatever. weekdays,(evenings) all good.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 10:11am
I was in aussie last week, fishing flats off Bribie island, looked over the side to see a mass of HUGE tiger Squid just finning about round the boat, dozens of them in 2m of water - absolutley awesome sight, pretty large too around 400-500mm long at a guess. They would'nt touch a soft plastic, just eyeballed it then slowly swum off. Squid are awesome, would love to catch them on a regular basis as well. Have a feeling it's an untapped species for targetting.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 10:16am
I'm keen for a weekday evening egg after the kids are in bed, I could get there around 8ish. Have to sort out some gear. Agree that probably better when the water warms...

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 10:02pm
just made a mess looking at that moke has been too long.. between good fish.  the squid mish sounds like a plan.  didnt get out to nite will try next few days or so.

Posted By: red89mx
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 11:21pm
Hi guys sounds like a plan...could be up for a quiet harbour fish.  If no squid could always raid one or two of Andrews fishing spots.

I have caught a few sqiddos out Mana wide whilst going for Pukka a couple of years ago....they just hit the Pukka rigs on the way up.  So kept some for Kai and put the others on whole as fresh bait...and pulled up a couple of OK fish.

Posted By: Unclejake
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 11:51pm
Ahem.

We have nav lights too?

Make it so Prosport. The later the better TBH. We could all raft up and tell lies, drifting to our doom somewhere in the inky darkness.

DeKay can bring the snacks

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 10:13am
I have nav lights as well but I think your flood lights might come in handy. Raft up on a calm evening sounds fun.

Would you like fries with that?

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 9:39am
tonites the nite i can feel it in me bones. got some more yamaSh*tas, a lonely squid attack and no work tomorow.

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 11:30am

what time you thinking Mole? i might try 7-9pm around oriental?

edit: or burham warf is really close for meLamp

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 2:41pm
not sure yet, will be mooching round evans bay/seatoun somewhere. will drop by burham 9ish once the tide has had a chance to come up a bit.  flick me a txt 0211867009 will put sum $ on it .

Posted By: Diver Dan
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 6:33pm
I've only speared one squid in the harbour - weirdly an arrow squid near Miramar wharf. I have speared broad squid at Makara and the South Coast

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 11:10am
so that was crap lost ALL of my jigs . did get sum nice teris and trevs but no squid . back to the drawing board . 

Posted By: paddyak
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 4:20pm
i'm keen to join you fellas on a squid mission ... be it boat , kayak or shore.....well i dont have a boat but i do have a kayak .......and legs Tongue

will be wearing a a cheap rain kit from head to toe if on the yak ....heard a decent size bad boy can pretty much paint you in ink !

Posted By: SINNER
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 9:16pm
I used to fish for them when I lived in Perth, the best way we found re the ink thing was once you had them at the boat use a landing net and let them squirt there ink before you lift them aboard. also stops them falling off when lifting them in.

Steve

-------------
<000<< Here Fishy Fish <000<<

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 3:15pm
gona try again this week.

Posted By: TheBadger
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 6:32am
Stop trying Aaron. Then you'll probably catch one. 

-------------
'Badger on the other hand, he's basically a bum'

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 9:13pm
will get amy to have a go, as allways she will slay. when you back up?

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 9:36pm
Mole, I was fishing alongside Stormbringer today and he was saying they used to catch some huge Arrow Squid of Mirimar Wharf in the lights on flasher rigs, keep trying!.... or go to Moore Wilsons and buy some, take some pics and tell everyone you've cracked the mythical Wellington Squid...

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 8:42pm
Just a wee necro bump: Is there any egeing action in welly?
I been looking for someone to watch and learn from

-------------
"You don't have to be smart to laugh at a fart, but you have to be stupid not to."

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 10:15pm
well me and big al just had a poke round. no joy but.. will keep you posted.

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 4:51pm
jpg gona have another poke round the next few nites if you are keen.

Posted By: Hamachan
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 3:09pm
I've had a couple of goes around oriental at night over last few weeks but no joy. I have noticed a lot if bait fish around.

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 3:57pm
I'm going to try in summer

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 4:53pm
yeah summer sounds good. give me somthing to do while waiting for the 40lb moke to snuffle my bait. Wink

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 4:11pm
the squid are here. just finshed talking w a guy that  picked up 3 tuesday nite. even had a pic on his fone.

Posted By: Kumra
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 9:10pm
Where about's Mole? Always wanted to try catch some.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 2:34pm
the guy wouldnt say.. but oriental bay under the street lights and burnham warf would be another go.,

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by mole mole wrote:

the guy wouldnt say.. but oriental bay under the street lights and burnham warf would be another go.,
Nah mang
It's all out seatoun way

-------------
"You don't have to be smart to laugh at a fart, but you have to be stupid not to."

Posted By: Kumra
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 3:31pm
Off Seatoun wharf? Isn't it a bit rocky close in a Obay? Wouldn't you get snagged with one of those squid things?

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 5:28pm
The gurnard I got the other day at seaturn had a baby squid in its stomach.

Posted By: jaydogfish
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 6:29pm
went round to that marine lab in island bay and they had found some squid eggs when they did the clean up in evansbay last week

-------------
THE DOGG

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 5:42pm

lots of wee ones about

-------------
sometimes you are the statue ,sometimes you are the pigeon

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 10:36am
just had a guy in said he got 3 the other day.

-------------
sometimes you are the statue ,sometimes you are the pigeon

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 9:29pm
i've been trying around oriental bay quiet a bit but still no joy.  might need to try some different lures.  been using a bring orange one.

Posted By: egi man
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 12:25am
Will be in Wellington from the 23rd Dec to 3rd Jan. I do heaps of squid fishing here in Geelong in Victoria. Will be bringing my sumizokus and yama****as and hoping to find some calas around the harbour. Hoping to catch up with some other keen egi nuts and talk squid. Dunno whether the techniques we use will work over there but im sure to find out. Will keep an eye on posts and will try to contact anyone who is keen to catch up...

Posted By: 420reload
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 7:34am
iv done a bit in tauranga we use glowig jigs and fish around the lights on the shadow lines they seem to attack better in the dark areas and yes dont rush em abord your boat they will squirt twice then  there fairly safe

Posted By: Os
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 12:52pm
My mate got one @ 5 mile last weekend on fish bait. @ midday.

Posted By: The Cod Father
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 1:45pm
I've caught a few in the past jigging for blue cod around the Brothers and behind mana, this was before the current slow jigging craze took off and we were just using grim reapers yo yoed near the bottom.  It happened often enough to think it wasnt a fluke and I reckon a large pirate jig fluttering mid water may be the way to go

-------------
No Gut No Glory

Posted By: danp
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 10:10am
I foul hooked a decent squid about 4 weeks ago not far from shore in a boat fishing with bait.

Posted By: Spearsniper
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 7:44pm
A few big ones out at Kapiti at the moment. We are putting spears into them regularly often.

-------------
http://spearfishingreview.info" rel="nofollow - www.spearfishingreview.info
"If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again"

Posted By: Spaz
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 12:20pm
Yeah I got a decent one the other day in daylight, on a soft plastic. Felt it nibbling at it, and took a while to get the hook into one of its tentacles but got it to the boat in the end, before it jetted me with water, no ink lucky enough...

It surprised me it was in the harbor feeding in daylight 

Posted By: Davo
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 4:25am
Anyone successfully egi ing squid in welly and keen to share their knowledge?

Posted By: Tigerfish
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 11:10pm
Hi fellow Wellington anglers,

I'm not sure what the status of this post is - there seemed to be a lot of interest in it initially, but nothing posted for a while. I thought I'd give a short update of my recent experiences, and resurrect this discussion for anyone who's interested in it.

I've started fishing for squid around Welly, doing short daytime sessions from the shore because of family commitments. I've been out 3 times in the last 2 weeks, and caught broad squid each time. They haven't been huge - the largest was maybe 20cm mantle length - but they've been enthusiastic about taking jigs.

I've used a Harimitsu Sumizoku 3.5 in the clear/pink EPC colour, a Gancraft Uo-Jya in the silver/blue baitfish colour, and a Daiwa Emeraldas Nude 3.0 in brown ebi colour. 

I've had success at Lyall Bay and Moa Point.

I used to do a lot of squid fishing back home in Australia, but the squid fishing in Welly is proving to be quite difficult. I haven't been able to find squid in the same numbers (or sizes) as back home. The terrain is also a bit different, with much shallower water and lots of thick kelp.

In Australia I usually fish open, seaward-facing ledges and rock platforms facing deeper water, and avoid calmer bays and estuaries. In my experience, squid really hate rough conditions, so Wellington's weather makes it difficult (and sometimes dangerous) to fish those kinds of locations (e.g. Moa Point) unless the weather's been settled for a while.

I might have to change my approach here in Welly, given the wind/storms, as well as the abundance of sheltered areas (e.g. Shelly Bay). I'd also lie to check out some of the wharves and boat marinas that have lights on at night, but I just haven't had time yet.

So, I guess it's a start, and proves that it can be done around here. 

Anyone else had any luck since the earlier posts and discussion?

Posted By: NomadAngler
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 9:02pm
Hey Tigerfish,

I'm just trying to start having a crack at the squid in Wellington, but also have family commitments like you.  I have caught two over the years, both by accident, and both off Clyde Quay Wharf.  One took a stray lined pilchard and was about 40cm, the other I caught on bait flies and was about 15cm (and the little one inked me!).  Both were caught during the day.  I have also seen them around the fringe of light pools at night regularly over the years. 

I've only got the one Black Magic squid jig to start me out.  Can't remember the colour or size off the top of my head, but it's likely pink or orange.

Keep us up to date with how you go, and I'll post if I get anything.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 9:09pm
great to see the thread get goin again. in 3-4 wks i waa planning on giving the squid another go. keen as to swap info etc (maybe pm is best?) i was goin to gv the harbour a gd nudge this winter. cheers

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 12:53pm
I'm keen to dish out whatever I discover, I'm only in it for the photos.  I'm a total beginner with the squid, so can't contribute anything at this stage!  Good luck on the squid hunt.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 12:34pm
Hi Nomad,

Apologies for the late reply but I've been busy with family etc here and in Australia.

Have you had any luck with the Welly squid yet? I haven't fished for them since I last posted under another thread "Wellington squid using egi" or similar, but I'm going to try to get out again soon.

Please let me know how you get on.

Regards.

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 5:32pm
No worries Tigerfish.  I haven't had too much opportunity to head out, but when I have I've been focusing on other species.  I did have a go yesterday though, but found the sink rate of the jig I have is too slow for the deep water I was fishing.  Will have to try a shallower spot or get some heavier jigs.

Started micro jigging, but was surprisingly quiet.  Changed to softbaits and got 2 trevs and a kahawai, then finished with a crack at squid.  Good to work through a few methods in the session.  Smile

Date Posted: 05 May 2018 at 3:43pm
Great stuff. I've been out twice for squid in the past two weeks, in what I thought would be perfect conditions, to the same places where I've caught them previously. Good clean water, good tides, light wind, lots of baitfish around...and caught nothing. Didn't even see one, but I did see lots of kahawai. I spent a whole day out - dawn 'til dusk - last week. I'm starting to think that it's completely random, and that maybe there just aren't that many squid around within reach of shore-based anglers. I haven't tried the night fishing yet, but I guess that's the next logical step. If that still doesn't work, then I'm runningl out of ideas.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 5:43pm
thinking i'd check in and see if anyones been having any luck egging?

Posted By: About this big
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 3:03pm
Went for a squid today however no luck
Went around Shelly bay and the marina by niwa.
Came across some likely looking areas. I’m thinking the Southey wind may have hindered my success.

Any others out there?

Posted By: Stormbringer
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 10:37pm
Back of te papa hold squid occasionally 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window