Forum Name: Calamari Capers! Squid Jigging
Forum Description: Anything to do with squid fishing here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=54850
Printed Date: 30 Mar 2024 at 2:30am

Topic: YeeHaa Squid hackers Reports
Posted By: YeeHaa
Subject: YeeHaa Squid hackers Reports
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 10:11pm
What better to do when you've finished up at work and have nothing planned... Syd who we've affectionately nicknamed Squid... popped in at the shop after work (across the road @ AA)

"Hey John, You gona go for a squid fish tonight bro?" he queries in his thick Africans accent... Yep, just let me finish up with the my customer and we'll head off... the tides almost high... get your gear ready hurry up! I say bossily

don't think he heard cos he was out the door real quick!  LOL

With the weapons of choice we headed for Mission Bay next to Kelly Talton's

It's important to get the right weight, at the moment if your casting in from the shore line on a full tide and then through the outgoing for an hour or so you will need to use a 3.0 max and often a 2.5 as the water clears and gets shallow.

They were biting after the first few casts, a couple small ones went in the bag and then went quiet for 20 mins but then it was all on again... while i had my lure stuck behind one of the rocks Syd was slaying them Angry ha ha a bit of friendly competition is all good fun

Then was my turn to get into them so I made the most of the run

The light from the side of the road attracts the squid in along the edges while they feed and get ready for spawning. At night they don't mind the shallows and will come in right close to the rocks making them very accessible for those who have a soft bait rod or egging outfit. I use a rod designed for this type of fishing and my reel is a dedicated Daiwa egging reel.. these are low line capacity... however any light softbait reel will do the trick!

The Squid are in for feeding and spawning and will be prolific over the coming months... some nights one colour jig will work well and other times anything seems to work.  having a range of sizes and colours is the way to go... some types of lures do work consistently better than others and finding that one can often be the difference between catching one or two and your mate getting hammered... as i found out tonight lol

We'll  have to get out there again Syd... that was awesome mate!

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Replies:
Posted By: NooB_Fisho
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 11:15pm
Nice report John. Can i kindly ask how you get on to those rocks as the wall is actually quite steep? and don't the rocks get completely covered by water at full tide?
And if you don mind me asking, what rig you using? Just tie the jigs at the end of line? Any swivel? snap swivel? Thanks ^^

Posted By: green guy
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 11:39pm
might have to go get me some tomorrow for sunday's compWink

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys

Posted By: OffTheHook
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 3:02am

yea boi go get em!!!

Posted By: carlostairua
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 5:54am
Nice mate, gonna spend some more time chasing the squid here, turned one of them the other day

into this

-------------
http://theprovider.co.nz" rel="nofollow - theprovider.co.nz

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 7:30am
Originally posted by NooB_Fisho NooB_Fisho wrote:

Nice report John. Can i kindly ask how you get on to those rocks as the wall is actually quite steep? and don't the rocks get completely covered by water at full tide?
And if you don mind me asking, what rig you using? Just tie the jigs at the end of line? Any swivel? snap swivel? Thanks ^^

that's true the rocks are often covered at high tide... find the spots with steps leading to the water or the ramps at the boat club to be good when it's like that. Then when the water subsides a bit you can fish off the bricks

I'm tying a very light trace to my braid... say 10 - 15lb around a meter long and then with a loop knot the squid jig.

We have just started stocking the Varivas egging range of braided lines which have been developed for casting light lures and gets great sink rates

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Epic Epic wrote:

Nice mate, gonna spend some more time chasing the squid here, turned one of them the other day

into this

Primo Carl, you'd have bucket loads of squid down there! need to get you some Squid jig mate... was lucky getting that one up on a softy lol they usually fall off. That was quick thinking though... and paid big dividends too Clap

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Posted By: Screaming Reels
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 8:40am
That is awesome never knew you could catch squid that way.Is there a catch limit as am keen to have a try as it looks like fun.

-------------
The Car Doctor Mangakino

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 11:26am
Thx John, I still saving money for my squid gears =P 

Screaming Reels, I think the limit is 50 squids / day ^^ They are bloody good to eat when they are fresh. Try it sashimi way! Gluk LOL

Posted By: betterthanwork
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 11:41am
Nice report John and trust that all is well with you. I had my first quick go at squidding off Ammunition Jetty over here in Perth yesterday evening. No luck for me but the guy beside me got 4 in 30 minutes so they are around. I will just have to watch the locals and sus out how it is done. Nice to wet a line though!

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by betterthanwork betterthanwork wrote:

Nice report John and trust that all is well with you. I had my first quick go at squidding off Ammunition Jetty over here in Perth yesterday evening. No luck for me but the guy beside me got 4 in 30 minutes so they are around. I will just have to watch the locals and sus out how it is done. Nice to wet a line though!

Sweet, yeah it's quite big over there now... when you get your first it'll all start happening for you Thumbs Up
good to hear from you Al

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Posted By: Tiger Fish
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 6:01pm
[QUOTE=Epic]Nice mate, gonna spend some more time chasing the squid here, turned one of them the other day

into this

Is that Magnum Pi?

-------------
I only fish with Jigstar rods!!!

Posted By: Blue Asparagus
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 6:08pm
nice stuff love catching squid, specially those big off shore mothers, come on Carl they complain when you use jig gear to live bait mateLOL

-------------
Ultimate GAME Fishing Adventures. Northland

Posted By: Shut up and fish
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 6:24pm
Would you get them in wellington harbour aswell   

-------------
Gidday Mate

Posted By: otdrmn
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 8:24pm
Whats the scenario, you cast out and slow?, fast? retreive.
Looks like cool fun, might take the young fella out for a looksee, he'll love that

-------------
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 10:01pm
Went to Stirling Sports at Manukau today all they had in they way lures was the 4gram weighted 1s after reading the tips on squiding at the YeeHaa website decided was to heavy so i gonna have to pop into the YeeHaa store i feel and buy some of you guys. Introduce myself and hopefully bleed you dry of all your knowledge Wink

-------------
The Car Doctor Mangakino

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 3:11pm
hehehe went out last night again with the boss and the puppy dog. got 5 in hour and half fishing. squid ring ..yummy

photo take by cellpohne..not the best shots..Big smile

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Posted By: carlostairua
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 3:15pm
Nice Tony.  Can't beat a feed of fresh squid.  Might be up this week you might have to take me and show me some secrets!

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 3:26pm
You going again tonight by any chance ?

-------------
The Car Doctor Mangakino

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 3:33pm
depends on the weather. if its not raining. to be honest its easy to do. Just drive along Tamaki dr stop at Kellys and have looks. there are heaps for guys squid fishing there.Wink

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Posted By: Furstimer
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 10:56pm
Yeah I heard from another thread that Burnham wharf in wellington has some. Although I am not sure cuz I have not tried. The harbour looks glassy tonight with no wind. I see the lagoon in the city as a good potential with the lights and calmer waters but not sure if they'll come all the way in.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 11:43am
Just to give a bit of a background on squid fishing for those who are keen to know more about it... I wrote an article that went in Fishing Coast to Coast Mag last year however upon reading it, still is up to date! here's the link to it.

http://www.yeehaa.co.nz/fishing-report.html

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Posted By: vip_yo
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 9:10am
When I was over in Brisbane this time last year there were quie a few people down the wharves going after them.

And I've watched a guy fish for them in the Marlborough Sounds and do quite well.. He'd spot them from up on a hill and then go down to sea level and cast to them. That was during the day though.. The squid were just hanging around the kelp.

Wonder if they'd come as far south as Chch/Lyttelton??

Posted By: Blindspot
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 3:06pm
Was down by kelly taltons last night, pretty quiet for all there I think... I hooked one that got off at my feet. 

I nnly saw one guy get one over the couple of hours I was there... was bloody cold!

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 4:22pm
tonight might be the go if the wind drops a bit.

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 5:53pm
High tide @ 9.55pm ...is mission bay only good +/- 1 hr of high tide? Might go over to Takapuna wharf ^^

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 5:56pm
Won a auction on trade me for some squid lures as dont have time during week to get to the YeeHaa store hopefully they turn up on Friday so can head to Mission Bay to have a crack at catching me some.

-------------
The Car Doctor Mangakino

Posted By: Aplomb
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 8:28am
I was driving through Mission Bay last night at 10.30pm so pulled over to have a look and there they were 5 keen squid fishermen.  On the waters edge casting squid lures under the street light.  They had caught a few squid and had them proudly on display on the steps, nice looking squid.  Beautiful night, no wind - they were having a great time.

-------------
Need a kitchen - give me a ring. Love to help a fellow fisho http://www.elitekc.co.nz

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 11:09am
Wink last night was a bit hard going but we still got a few. Boys were happy..its better than watching TV or setting in front of the Computers ...IMO

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 11:30am
Good one Yeehaa get rid of the buggers before the nick our softbaits during springLOL

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 11:33am
yesterday the best colour were the pink colour.
squid jig size 2 and 2.5

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Posted By: smizz
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 8:19pm
im real keen to give this a go... i was just wondering if anyone could tell me if the cloth lures were better than plastic or wood .... or what types do people here prefer?

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 8:30pm
I will be out there Saturday night giving it a go i so looking forward to it.Will be by Kelly Tarltons wharfe about 9.30 pm if anyone else wants to tag along.

-------------
The Car Doctor Mangakino

Posted By: fauxpas
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 2:35pm
Got a couple of nice size squid off crusoe today on strayline gear. Unfortunately they let go of the bait (Squid!) on the surface but it would be agood place to try with the right gear

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 12:00pm
went out last night and the night before as well. beautiful weather a bit chilly. The squid getting bigger very fast.
The Natural colour worked better and slow slow sinking jigs are the key

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 8:53pm
mean bro me and jarad just made a monster squid light muawhahaha it has two hella spot lights mounted to a tripod and has a car batt 
should be a larf heading out to try it tonight

-------------

Posted By: BeachedAsBro
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 10:06pm
Nice one mate - are you heading out really late to catch the high tide or is it not that crucial?

-------------
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 9:54am
yea bro hour each side
it was packed last night we got 4 nice sized squid we were miles away from the crowd and had a berly out as well lost alot as well any slack and they get off

-------------

Posted By: part-timer
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 7:41pm
are you just getting broad squid? any arrow squid?

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 2:26pm
Wanna get down there one night before the next full moon, probably next week when there's change of light evening high tides - load up on big fresh squid baits for the nasty shallows. If anyone's keen one night to hook up let me know.

-------------
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 7:53pm
just curious anywhere good to go after a few squid on waiheke if anyone knows?

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 9:58pm
MATE, ALL THE JETTI AND ROCK ARE GOOD FROM WAIHEKE ISLAND。 HEAPS SQUID AROUND VERY GOOD SQUID FISHING SPOT。 BEST SIZE 3。0 AND 3。5 SIZE SQUID JIGS

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 10:03pm
sweet.. do you meen where the car ferry comes in? of just the general ferry because its quite calm there and the water is pretty clear

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 2:53am
both area are good mate, i fished both before and caught heaps

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 2:56am
got a huge range of Japanese squid jigs arrived yesterday. Just finished to put on the wall. Got the OK from the boss tonight went for a testing at mission bay....lol just got back now/.
They performed very well and awesome action in the water.
Tried four colours and all caught fish.

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Posted By: John_Ra
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 6:43am
Try & get me some of them lures & give it a bash Friday night, tide starting to come right & no work Sats yay!!

Will need a great squid ring recipe anyone?

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 7:02am
That pisses me of Tony after i phoned you yesterday to see if would be any good tonight you said no so i stayed home. I was gonna go about 11pm but after what you said on the phone stayed home and you go out yourself.

-------------
The Car Doctor Mangakino

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 7:15am
Originally posted by Screaming Reels Screaming Reels wrote:

That pisses me of Tony after i phoned you yesterday to see if would be any good tonight you said no so i stayed home. I was gonna go about 11pm but after what you said on the phone stayed home and you go out yourself.
that would be because high tide was at 1.30am 
most people arnt keen to fish on a weekday that late if its high tide u can go screeming reels

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 4:43pm

PLease check the post which I posted at 3:00am in the morning...lol
mate the high tide was 2:30am in the morning and I live by mission bay so I went for the product testing. I know that you live down south akl and do you think 2:30am start fishing is a good time?
If you think I am wrong, " I am sorry"
Next week the tides will be all good.

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 5:52pm
No worries Tony. What time you reckon for tonight a few hours either side of the tide i am gonna go tonight even if i have to leave Pukekohe at 1am.

-------------
The Car Doctor Mangakino

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 5:58pm
seems to be a bit windy today. 1hour before the high tidy and 1hour after the high would be good. if the warf is to windy try just along the road side. take warm cloth with you and hot coffee would help too. Green and pink  colour worked good at moment.
best luck

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 6:17pm
High Low High Low High
Wednesday 7 July 2010 02:372.8m 08:470.9m 15:102.7m 21:171.1m
Thursday 8 July 2010 03:302.8m 09:420.9m 16:102.8m 22:131.0m
Friday 9 July 2010 04:262.8m 10:380.8m 17:072.9m 23:090.9m
Saturday 10 July 2010 05:242.9m 11:340.7m 18:023.1m
Sunday 11 July 2010
00:030.8m 06:223.0m 12:280.5m 18:553.2m
Monday 12 July 2010
00:560.7m 07:183.1m 13:200.4m 19:463.4m
Tuesday 13 July 2010
01:480.5m 08:123.3m 14:100.3m 20:373.5m
Wednesday 14 July 2010
02:410.4m 09:053.4m 15:000.2m 21:283.5m
Thursday 15 July 2010
03:330.4m 09:563.4m 15:510.3m 22:193.5m
Friday 16 July 2010
04:250.3m 10:483.4m 16:420.3m 23:113.5m
Yes you are right Tides looking good Sunday night onwards. Oh well a few more days aint gonna kill me.

-------------
The Car Doctor Mangakino

Posted By: Stefan
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 4:49pm
Bought me a couple of lures and gonna have a go tonight... Big difference in price of the lures I noticed. the $6 looked very much the same as the $20 lure. Then there's plastic ones and cloth covered ones is there much of a difference apart from the cloth ones maybe holding on to stimulate scent better. Any one out there with the good oil? Are the expensive ones really that much better. Am I maybe being to Dutch?LOL

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 4:52pm
the $9.9 works just the same as the$20 ones but both are better than the $5 ones for sure

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 10:28pm
Cheers Tony, any preference with plastic versus the cloth covered ones?

Posted By: zero4
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 12:12am
Both works,

LOL

Here is something different...................

Posted By: laidbackdood
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 12:23am
Originally posted by John_Ra John_Ra wrote:

Try & get me some of them lures & give it a bash Friday night, tide starting to come right & no work Sats yay!!

Will need a great squid ring recipe anyone?
squid rings in breadcrumbs(fried) mate...Cant go past that one...with a bit of tartare sauce/lemon...very niceWink

-------------
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.

Posted By: ramprage
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 8:23pm
Tried catching squid Saturday night, this was our 1st attempt
rule 1 : don't go if a SE blowing. Sat on the Ti Point wharf for
2 hrs, finally gave up frozen stiff, but there were other keen
fisho's there and one couple were going to sleep over in there
car for the night ( you could bet they would keep there cloths on)
Then visited Leigh Wharf to check how that was going, another
couple there trying there luck but colder than Ti Point.
Finally we had a look at Sandspit Wharf, no Squid fisho's
there but a couple of guy's catching sprats.
Got home to my sons place at 8pm sat down and watched the footy
But going to give it another go when it gets warmerThumbs Up

-------------
When the going gets tough...the tough
keep going

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 9:23pm
My 1st squid i ever caught its only small but i had fun catching it.Took my son he did not catch anything. I also met Tony (YeeHaa) thanks for the advice. Must admit did not know i had it untill was at my feet. I will probably be back on Wednesday night this time with a beanie was cold. Bit of a art catching them took me a while to get some sort of technique going totally differant to what i use to doing.

-------------
The Car Doctor Mangakino

Posted By: Telecaster
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 10:05pm
Nice one mate, was that you over by the concrete ramp near kelly tarltons? I was by myself on the second set of stairs after the wharf. I got my first squid too - just finished eating it. Will post pics tomorrow - nice to try a totally different type of fishing. Fresh squid is awesome!

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 10:10pm

My 1st squid i ever caught its only small but i had fun catching it.Took my son he did not catch anything. I also met Tony (YeeHaa) thanks for the advice. Must admit did not know i had it untill was at my feet. I will probably be back on Wednesday night this time with a beanie was cold. Bit of a art catching them took me a while to get some sort of technique going totally differant to what i use to doing.

Clapgood one
Clap

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 6:55am
Originally posted by Tele29 Tele29 wrote:

Nice one mate, was that you over by the concrete ramp near kelly tarltons? I was by myself on the second set of stairs after the wharf. I got my first squid too - just finished eating it. Will post pics tomorrow - nice to try a totally different type of fishing. Fresh squid is awesome!
Yes that was me and my Son look forward to your pic.

-------------
The Car Doctor Mangakino

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 8:35am

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 2:20pm
might go there have a look tonight, the weather looks pretty good.
high tide 8:30ish

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 3:52pm
Where are you getting that tide time from ? I thought it was 7:45pm tonight... Looking at the tides for "auckland" on ofu.co.nz

I might be keen for another go.

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 4:22pm
ops yeah you are right

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 10:24pm
So how did you get on?

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 10:53pm
I was out there. Steps past Orakei Wharf a few other peeps too. Alas got zip, saw about 3 come in.
Going to try again tomorrow....

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 11:20pm

It was pretty hard going started with and got a bit better later on after 9:00pm
we were trying all kinds of colours to see which works better. The light fish skin pink and red head did the damage tonight.

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 6:55am

I was out there. Steps past Orakei Wharf a few other peeps too. Alas got zip, saw about 3 come in.
I am heading there again tonight for another bash see you there John.

-------------
The Car Doctor Mangakino

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 6:56am
EEhh where was you guys Tony...

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 6:59am

I am heading there again tonight for another bash see you there John.

Yeah see you there mate... Be the guy wearing fluoro yellow jacket, cause it keeps me warmBig smile

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 7:17am
High tide at AUCKLAND
  • Time: 8:12am 13 July 2010 - Height: 3.3m
  • Time: 8:37pm 13 July 2010 - Height: 3.5m

I will be by the rocks next to the wharfe about 7.30pm. Alao will be wearing my yellow fluro jacket to keep the cold away.Got to remember to wear gloves tonight and a friggin beanie.

-------------
The Car Doctor Mangakino

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 8:19am
Yeah I will probably give it another go tonight, will be dressed all in black and probably driving a beaten up maroon BMW. Will probably bring a mate.

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 12:36pm
I was there last night, chilly but nice conditions.

Seen a few guys flicking out 2 in a ledger type rig, must improve the catch rate.

I was using el cheapo's. Got two around 9:30p, lost a few... need a net!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 12:47pm
Had a go for about an hour next to the ports no luck must try and get some decent jigs...

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Blindspot Blindspot wrote:

Seen a few guys flicking out 2 in a ledger type rig, must improve the catch rate.

aahh you weren't far from me, saw the two lure rig. A few using floats, still zip.
Will say a bit later, bite seems to be nearly 1 1/2 after high...

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 2:49pm
John was that you sitting down past the steps?  Think it was Yeeha on the steps.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 2:52pm

aahh you weren't far from me, saw the two lure rig. A few using floats, still zip.
Will say a bit later, bite seems to be nearly 1 1/2 after high...

I was using one like the small one in this pic, did the job for $7

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 3:01pm
I got 9 lures now all up $20.00 including freight nothing flash about them cloth 1s over plastic. Did not want to waste heaps of dollars on them as probably get bored with it once the novelty wears off.

-------------
The Car Doctor Mangakino

Posted By: 2cold
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 3:14pm
Has anyone given this a go in the South Island? Been studying in Dunedin- just about over catchin cod and couta from the rocks and some fresh squid would make a pretty mean flat feed Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 7:01pm

John was that you sitting down past the steps?  Think it was Yeeha on the steps.
Yup was wife & I ...oops time to go see ya out there Hola

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 7:53pm

I got 9 lures now all up $20.00 including freight nothing flash about them cloth 1s over plastic. Did not want to waste heaps of dollars on them as probably get bored with it once the novelty wears off.

That's when you start straylining your freshly caught local squid back into the kelpy shallows Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by BeachedAsBro BeachedAsBro wrote:

That's when you start straylining your freshly caught local squid back into the kelpy shallows Wink
I was thinking the same thing the other night, there have got to be predators with such a good food source there - even in such a busy area.

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 10:10pm
Sucked tonight although Yeehaa rocked up and within 5 minutes he had 2 squid. Left John Ra and his wife hope he did better than i did.

-------------
The Car Doctor Mangakino

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 10:23pm
just curious does any1 on here try catching squid down at devo wharf? is it any good?

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 11:32pm
was a good night out heaps people out there squid fishing and was fun fish along with some of our customers. We got some nice squid tonight between us. tomorrow night could be even better......

Not bad for a cold night working Tongue

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 10:34am
Nice work Tony! you the man, might come se you today get a few lures of ya.

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 11:49am
Left not long after you Screamin,  still zip...
try again tonite.....

-------------

Posted By: Mahiman
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 5:37pm
Nice squids, I reckon the rod makes a big difference when I am using my softbait rod and I am fishing next to someone with an egging rod they always seem to outfish me bigtimeCry squidding rods are  very different than a softbait rod, and I reckon there action make a big difference in the catch rate.

Posted By: Moocha
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 6:28pm
Jigging Master used to knock out some awesome Squid rods, this thread may tickle Mr Wong's interest enough for him to sneak a few in... Jigging used to only have a small following and look at it now... squid hacking sounds like its attracting a increasingly loyal following to Approve

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 6:36pm
I just use my Daiwa Sol rod, it does the job perfectly and My mate uses Shimano cheap CATANA 3-6kg rod caught plenty.
top japanese squid rod cost between 700 to 900 bucks each. Why would you spent that kind of money on squid if you got your softbait rod set already.
just some squid jigs and way you go....

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 7:14pm
From what i have seen in my short lived squid fishing career, the rods are very different than softbait rods we use for catching snapper. There length is longer (8 1/2 Foot) and there very light (110-140 grams)with low profile guides . From what i have seen the correct rods catch more squid and the anglers can feel if there squid jig is bouncing over weeds and rocks because the tip is very sensitive, which allows them to feel if there lure is near the bottom bouncing along which is where the big ones hang out. I had a go of one and it was more fun and more productive than my softbait rod. When I used my soft bait rod after the egging rod the softbait rod felt very heavy and overkill its for catching snapper. I would not spend 800 bucks however although I said that when softbait rods and jig rods first came out. I am hooked on this squid fishing gig its a lot of fun...

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Mahiman Mahiman wrote:

From what i have seen in my short lived squid fishing career, the rods are very different than softbait rods we use for catching snapper. There length is longer (8 1/2 Foot) and there very light (110-140 grams)with low profile guides . From what i have seen the correct rods catch more squid and the anglers can feel if there squid jig is bouncing over weeds and rocks because the tip is very sensitive, which allows them to feel if there lure is near the bottom bouncing along which is where the big ones hang out. I had a go of one and it was more fun and more productive than my softbait rod. When I used my soft bait rod after the egging rod the softbait rod felt very heavy and overkill its for catching snapper. I would not spend 800 bucks however although I said that when softbait rods and jig rods first came out. I am hooked on this squid fishing gig its a lot of fun...
I suspect the people with the expensive egging rods have gone out and spent the money AFTER they got good at squidding. Like, I have a $160 Okuma SB combo - it does the job OK but I will be upgrading to something substantially better for next season, for the simple reason that I now know what I am doing (sort of) and I know that I enjoy softbaitingand intend to continue doing it.

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 7:49pm
maybe you got a heavy duty soft bait which is good for your Cyclops 2-4oz job. normal 3-6kg soft bait rod such as Catana , sol, berkley dropshot 4kg and even some trout spin rod does a good job.
NZ squid fishery is not heavily fished likes in Japan and Taiwan. Yes squid rod are good and we have those high end rod in YEEHAA as well but I never push them in the shop. I have been squid fishing 8 years and still uses softbait rods and before I was using a trout spin rod.
Its more the skill and movements and the size, sinking rate and colours if the squid jigs.
PS not try to be rude at all but the fact is I can catch squid use my softbait rod with any those guys use squid rods stand next to me, i did many times.
 $79 vs $400-$900 no brainer

-------------

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 8:04pm
No I am not talking about the rod I use for 2-4 oz cyclops deep water softbaiting,I use overhead rods for that. I am talking about light SB rods I use for casting jigheads and jerkshads. I will continue to use my light SB rod but I am getting frustrated watching the pros whip and flick there egging rods and catching more than me, then when I use the egging rod I caught one straight away. I am in Whakatane right now and I am going to go and have a go at the wharf,

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 8:14pm
Done it twice now only caught 1 squid. Also going to keep using my softbait rod and reel.I find it hard right now getting the technique right. Sorry if i upset anyone here not intended i watch the Asians and look at their technique try to do what they are doing and learn from them.That is why i bombarded you YeeHaa on Sunday night with all sorts of questions (sorry if i bugged you).
What i do find hard is actually seeing cause its dark and dont really know if the lure sunk or not therefore i feel its affecting the way i doing it.I guess the more i do it the better i will become (i hope).

-------------
The Car Doctor Mangakino

Posted By: Uncle
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 8:24pm

What i do find hard is actually seeing cause its dark and dont really know if the lure sunk or not therefore i feel its affecting the way i doing it.I guess the more i do it the better i will become (i hope).

So SR provides the ammo for the next question.
Is anyone targeting squid in the daytime & if so, what degree of success?

Another Q, anyone using the Berkley squid jigs?

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 9:21pm
hi all i dont really know much about squid fishing but came across this and though it might help
http://www.squidfish.net/squidfaq.shtml#cast - http://www.squidfish.net/squidfaq.shtml#cast

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by smizz smizz wrote:

hi all i dont really know much about squid fishing but came across this and though it might help
http://www.squidfish.net/squidfaq.shtml#cast - http://www.squidfish.net/squidfaq.shtml#cast
Thanks for the above link very usefull.

-------------
The Car Doctor Mangakino

Print Page | Close Window