Print Page | Close Window

Keep your pc running sweet

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: Tech Topics
Forum Description: IT - Computers, software, phones, ISP's....
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51823
Printed Date: 26 Aug 2019 at 5:12pm

Topic: Keep your pc running sweet
Posted By: Uncle
Subject: Keep your pc running sweet
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 9:44pm
This was posted in the Captain Morga Briny Bar by Catchelot & at Ancient Mariners request, has been duplicated here for easy access.
I for one go through this procedure a couple of times a month & it really does speed things up.

thanks AlClap
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok this is for Windows XP. Firstly open My Computer, right mouse click on the C drive and select Properties and then Select Disk Cleanup...allow it to calculate and scan, could take a while... you will then be presented with a list, tick the lot and then click ok so the system will delete the lot...this may take a while.

Then open C drive, open Windows and open Temp, select all or go Control A and then delete the lot, one or two files may not delete as these are performance monitors that load at startup, so delete all except those one or two.

Then go Start and click Run and type in %temp% and select all of those and delete all of those.

If you are a heavy Internet browser, not just Fishnet, and you don't mind deleting your internet history then do this in Internet Explorer. Click Tools and then select Delete Browsing History, tick all of the boxes and then select delete. (don't tell your kids this if you want to check their history...as a good parent does)
If you are using Mozilla Firefox then select Tools and Clear Private Data after ticking the boxes.

Next open My Computer again, right mouse on the C drive and select Properties again and select the Tools tab and then select Defragment and click the defragment button within that window. Again this may take a while so set it off and walk away could even take half an hour.

Next go Start and Run and type in PREFETCH, select all and delete, this is a list of just about every program you have used and have run up, the system remembers them to make starting them faster but you don't need it each time the machine runs up.

Next go Start and Run and type in MSCONFIG and press enter, then select the startup tab and then  choose Selective Startup. You will then will see a list of all the programs that automatically start every time the computer runs up. A small warning you need to have a general understanding of what you are looking at and what things are, eg printers, printer software, scanners, digital cameras, Quicktime and things like that, stuff that you do not want to start everytime the machine runs up. This is why after installing new devices, like printers and cameras the computer gets slower, the same with some new applications and programs.
Ok once you have unticked what you do not want to start you will have to reboot for those settings to take place. But if you are unsure and in doubt, just back out and perhaps ask.

Esets NOD32 and SmartSuite is one of the superior Virus scanners that don't bog your machine down and drain system resources. Older scanners like Nortons Anti-Virus are absolute dogs and will slow everything down.

So there is a few simple tips to help keep your machine optimised and running efficiently. Do the Diskclean, Defrag and Temp deletes about fortnightly to monthly if you are keen.

Hope that helps...

Replies:
Posted By: ancient mariner
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 10:12pm
Ok guys, gonna add the relevant stuff from other thread that may help people, as hopefully this becomes a sticky.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

This is a handy tool for nwbs .
You don't need to go through a lengthy defrag, it wont speed up your computer...only do that if your deleting a heap of stuff all the time, once a year is good enough IMO.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 10:13pm
I'm running that dog of a system Windows Vista Home Edition on my laptop and have religiously been doing all of the tricks suggested by Catchelot, plus a few others to try to keep my system running at any sort of speed. I also use the CCleaner program [CrapCleaner] at least once a week. But I have still been having issues with my laptop 'freezing' and the only way around this has been to reboot (restart) it.
I have just about been ready to kick my laptop to touch as I am that peed off with it....
Over the past couple of days I have been surfing the net to see if there was anything else I could do to speed up my system and I came across the following article:
http://www.itechmax.com/2008/07/05/tips-on-how-to-speed-up-windows-vista/
I have implemented all of the suggestions in this article and have already seen a marked improvement. Just hope it continues...
My next step is to go and buy additional memory capacity.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 10:15pm
Try the Kaspersky system 2009.Quickens your computer remarkably.Not too expensive as well and can be trialled first.Always beware of the free stuff.It's too good to be true.Remember there's no such thing as a free lunch lol

Guys look up JK defrag it is a great defrager that optimizes and sorts out unused files on the hard drive, takes a while to do the biz but is very very good.

Posted By: Finatic
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 10:39pm
Get that vermin Vista off your system mate. Bloody crappiest system I have ever used on a PC. Windows 7 is much less of a pig on your system. Microsoft should give all Vista users a free upgrade to Windows 7!

-------------
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 8:13am
Originally posted by Finatic Finatic wrote:

Get that vermin Vista off your system mate. Bloody crappiest system I have ever used on a PC. Windows 7 is much less of a pig on your system. Microsoft should give all Vista users a free upgrade to Windows 7!

Very true well said Si, Brian extra RAM will help your laptop issues get as much as you can afford.
Also have a tweak and shutdown all the unecessary start up items.

Oh and wear a condom when you are staring at those naughty boys sitesLOL

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: Finatic
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 10:09am
LOL

-------------
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.

Posted By: pure--lure
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 5:59pm
You could also look into msconfig this info is okay for basic use but to anyboady running vista I would seriously look at downgrading to 2000 or xp or up to win7

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/

Posted By: jaypeegee
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 9:55pm

For what it's worth I work in a shop with about 1500 Desktops and laptops, as such I am qualified to, well pretty much nothing, except yearn to fish ...

My observations are thus: More ram is better. Note however. If you have a 32Bit system you wont get more than 3.5 Gb utilised (Even if its likely to be cheaper buying 2 matched 2 Gb sticks)

This holds true for W2k through to W7

Ccleaner, Regboost etc etc will return your machine back (or close to) it's original speed. Well,at least it's potential potentially. Any observations that it goes faster are also an admission it is running piglike to start with. Having said that; Ccleaner is pretty good.especially when the add/remove programs cpl is failing to assist.

Windows session freezing? Right click on the menubar or CTRL_ALT_DELETE and select the task manager. Sort by memory and reference against the google. Bear in mind that the security industry is getting pretty big and subsequently there is a bunch of scare mongering. Always double double check. Before deleting things or believing that the process is a virus.

Malwarebytes is a free and effective virus scanner. Works well. First go to if I suspect something has snuck by the bigger guys.

If your PC freezes regularly go to My Computer ->Right Click and select manage - go to event viewer and sniff through the logs. Anything red and recurrent, Look into it.

Finally: prior to biting the bullet and rebuilding the PC. If its slow as **** you can always try and create another profile . You'd be amazed at what issues this gets you around. Again go to My Computer ->Right Click and select manage->Go to Local Users and Groups Right Click on Users and select new.

Hell there is always ubuntu if it turns out to be too painful.

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 8:49am
not another linux user Stern Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 9:24pm
Nope
Used MINT, UBUNTU, OSX liked em, But not that much to swap.
My bread and butter is the windows world
Dont see the point in faffing round with owt else
The ubuntu line was more of a joke

One thing i would suggest if you are not shy of the effort is looking into some of the modded-for-speed flavours the eXP tiny and micro type OS'es.

But That isnt the spirit of this post if I'm not mistaken.

Posted By: John_Ra
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 7:40am
lol just seen this thread...

Ok some suggestions on why laps, comps run slow. If you have done all the cleaning, tweeks etc & no noticable diff... Then
 it maybe over heating, check your fans are they working, clean out in & out all dust build up. over heating will freeze your comp as well.
for laps, maybe get one of those pads that have fans built in, your lap sits on it.
A faulty motherboard can slow your comp down as well...
taking the side cover off & leaving it off can help over heating issues.

Hint: Quad core systems WILL need better cooling than just fans.
more ram can help but check if your comp will handle it, same as upgrading the processor.

Nortons is a dog on systems running XP, Eset Nod32 heaps better...

sure there are a few IT guys/gals on here that can/may look at your comp just ask... no not me!
these are just things I've picked up over the years & bending the ears of some IT guysLOL

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 7:39am
Just stumbled on this.
As much as I abhor these sort of pages I thought it might still bring benefit of some sort to the community

http://www.pcstats.com/NewsView.cfm?NewsID=72061 - http://www.pcstats.com/NewsView.cfm?NewsID=72061

As always Tread softly

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 6:20pm
Yeah love linux mint

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 5:57pm
Yeah the various flavours of *nix generally are sweet

But the change in mindset from M$ to NIX catches a bunch of people out

If you want to persevere then its great, But only if you persevere

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 5:03pm
All my networking/server related stuff is done in  Linux find it much better than windows but for general use I love my Win7 setup its a biatch with SMB shares but works okay with UPNP, I love my OSX styled FREENASHeart

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 5:04pm
Tiny OS Xp is good for low end hardware like p3's etc but Puppy dog linuxs beats the all running in ram a P2 can be as fast as a dual core

-------------

Posted By: zzzke
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2011 at 9:55pm
If you're after a good anti virus i would suggest  http://www.avira.com/ - - www.avira.com/
(Just get the free version)

Originally posted by Finatic Finatic wrote:

Vista is just disgusting, I just stayed with XP Pro 64 until I got Win 7

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 4:08pm
Catchelot ( Al ) any chance of a W7 version to help keep these infernal beasts under some sort of control?
The XP version was great but with a new PC loaded with Windows 7, it's back to square 1 for meConfused
cheers,
BBig smile 

Posted By: ThomasW
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 4:36pm
Uninstall Windows 7 and install XP in its place

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Catchelot ( Al ) any chance of a W7 version to help keep these infernal beasts under some sort of control?
The XP version was great but with a new PC loaded with Windows 7, it's back to square 1 for meConfused
cheers,
BBig smile 

I will look into for you B, but I I don't like win7 much.

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by ThomasW ThomasW wrote:

Uninstall Windows 7 and install XP in its place

x 2...regret upgrading my laptop to win7...no real advantage or bells and wistle above xp...perhaps a bit of the; if it is not broken then why try and fix it...Dead

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

cheers,
BBig smile 

I will look into for you B, but I I don't like win7 much.

Sorry Bill I forgot about this, essentially the same instructions apply to Win 7, but download and run CC Cleaner and JK Defrag regularly will help.

-------------

Posted By: ClubmanGT
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 5:50pm
Microsoft also has a fairly solid security program called Security Essentials, which if you're running 7 and don't yet have is definitely worth a look. It's free and actually seems to be surprisingly good as well, which is a nice break from tradition :P

Posted By: tightlines2
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by ClubmanGT ClubmanGT wrote:

Microsoft also has a fairly solid security program called Security Essentials, which if you're running 7 and don't yet have is definitely worth a look. It's free and actually seems to be surprisingly good as well, which is a nice break from tradition :P

x2, My IT mate said not to worry about running anything else with MSE

-------------
Remember it's not the number of breaths you take that is important in life, but rather the number of times that life takes your breath away.

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 9:32pm
been awhile...

any had issues with internet explorer??

was running Firefox after IE then that went same path as IE so trying OPERA...
Wifes FB games she having to refresh page more now...

idea's??

Thx

-------------

Posted By: Blue Asparagus
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 10:13pm
runa scan mate I have the same, games etc lots of lookers watching you there

-------------
Ultimate GAME Fishing Adventures. Northland

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 8:01am
Originally posted by John_Ra John_Ra wrote:

been awhile...

idea's??

Thx

John boy try Google Chrome instead, it seems less buggy and is faster than IE.
Download and run Piriform Ccleaner and MyDefrag and run those apps to clean and tidy up your hard drive.

What anti-virus do you use?

-------------

Posted By: Steps
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 10:34am
If u are still running XP  u can not update IE to latest version and WILL have had issues with some web pages... this happened , from Win 3.11 to 95, 95 to 98, 98 to 98se se to xp...as each operating system reached its use by date (ended support)
Back 10+yrs ago the work around was Netscape... now its Firefox...
Firefox has been the OS we have found most customers have found the easiest to make the transition to.
Do not run or have loaded several browsers, this is where the "buggy" issues come in.. and simply uninstallingf them doesnt remove those bugs as unless u manually fully uninstall they leave stuff around in reg files and hidden files.

Comments on using more than 1 virus scanner above .. very relievent...and MSE, yes excellent workstation scanner... BUT u will notice with XP it is now red... but still works and supported with updates till mid next yr.
If u have a XP machine, chances are , like ALL the previous OS updates, may meet , min requirements to run but WILL run slow... my advice is stick with the XP till the MSE support expires, and if the machine is still running well, go to an open source scanner  (NOT the free or paid versions of nortons/ macfee/ kav etc...

Be very careful with most  automatic cleaners in armature hands.. they are a source of steady income from ppl not knowing the whys behind them... espec from those who frequent underground web sites and pirate software...
Very often fix patches for issues, only remove the active parts odf an invection in reg files etc... the only sure wayis clean , is run scans and the manually remove and re check files and reg files... often many of these areas are restricted to the normal home user and require editing in remote boot modes... off a sd  or disc to fix fully.

Computers are like a car.. they NEED service.. from cleaning reg files, files , logs, temp files thru to hardware , fans heat sinks etc...

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

been awhile...

idea's??

Thx

John boy try Google Chrome instead, it seems less buggy and is faster than IE.
Download and run Piriform Ccleaner and MyDefrag and run those apps to clean and tidy up your hard drive.

What anti-virus do you use?

Changed to Kaspersky, recommended by tech guy (I know) he was doing a total reinstall of hard drive due to ??????? a couple issues he reckons lol.. didn't say what they were... But I been to him a few times.. seems a good kind so ...

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 12:36pm
Steps?? I'm using w7  XP was great ....

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

runa scan mate I have the same, games etc lots of lookers watching you there

Do scans all the time
need a diff type scan like a cleaner of sorts..

Thx

-------------

Posted By: Blue Asparagus
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 2:03pm
yeah mate lots out there I use one but had issues with down loading cant think of name but very popular.
I use Chrome as Teddy has said and seems ok but occasionally it runs very slow, Just brought a new Lappy and loaded windows 7 on to it and all going great.....so far

-------------
Ultimate GAME Fishing Adventures. Northland

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 3:21pm
Trying Chrome now...
at work at mo so will see when get home..

D/L'd Piriform CC  Catchelot, pro version though....... did a quick run, see when home tonite how it goe's...

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 8:58pm
The Ole gurl is starting to gooooo, now. Mind you it doe's run practicly 24/7...

So Xmas pressie time recommendation's... Not looking for adequate or "it'll do" looking for speed/power etc but cheap LOL

I 7 3rd gen or their a later version or AMD ????? Processor..
2gb or a 4gb graph card type?

16gb Ram ok to run with SSD drive 240gb enough..

decent cooling bigger fans water maybe. Side covers off mine Tongue

Ohhh be a Desk Top, lappy's too small for my eye's ..

Prob don't really need the 4gb graph but way comps go it's old in a few months....

budget 3k would like some change for fishing items Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Olfart
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 9:17pm

Ohhh be a Desk Top, lappy's too small for my eye's .

You can always connect a laptop to a desktop monitor John, if screen size is an issue for you.  Been thinking of doing much the same myself actually....

-------------
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Posted By: eynon
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 12:26am

The Ole gurl is starting to gooooo, now. Mind you it doe's run practicly 24/7...

So Xmas pressie time recommendation's... Not looking for adequate or "it'll do" looking for speed/power etc but cheap LOL

I 7 3rd gen or their a later version or AMD ????? Processor..
2gb or a 4gb graph card type?

16gb Ram ok to run with SSD drive 240gb enough..

decent cooling bigger fans water maybe. Side covers off mine Tongue

Ohhh be a Desk Top, lappy's too small for my eye's ..

Prob don't really need the 4gb graph but way comps go it's old in a few months....

budget 3k would like some change for fishing items Big smile

build it yourself and you can do research on all the parts and get the best prices :)
check out pricespy.co.nz

honestly if your not playing heaps of 3d games going for a $80~ graphics card is probably ok
and cheaper to upgrade

and spend abit more on your keyboard like get a full size mechanical one, much nicer to type on.
and a decent mouse with a scrollwheel, and a big screen.

your gonna be spending most your time surfing the net anyway, btw ctrl and + or - change the text size in the browser :P

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 1:16am
What are you using your beast for?
What screen resolution are you planning to use?
Water cooling only needed if you are looking at over locking.
Get an SSD for your OS, a corsair K70 keyboard, an Intel chip (K if over clocking), but biggest expense is your vid card.
If running 1920 x 1080 and simple gaming then a 770 is ample. if 2560 x 1440 then 290x or 980.
If running a 4k monitor then good luck ;-)
Feel free to pm me, have built a few now and in process of building another

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 1:59am
Thx for the input guys.

Olfart not a crazy idea, we hook em up to projectors at work for presentations etc.....
still contemplating that for now..

Ancient Mariner  screen res is 1680 x 1050 running an ATI Radeon HD 5670
was getting a new screen as well. 24" led....

Beast used for??  just web browsing some movie stuff a bit of photo shop stuff general use really. Nothing too hard core,  over clocking nah... fb games & yeah a few games, nothing 3D..

Current system: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 2.80 processor
                           8 GB

came home the other day to find comp was on but no one home type thing. Not the 1st time it's happened, took a few hours to get it to run, side covers off, why the cooling question....
can't really upgrade it, without doing other parts as well, so better a new one.

usually it's pretty silent but for awhile can hear the fan getting louder...

eynon  My eye's arent that bad yet... use reading glasses. Just like seeing/looking at things on a bigger screen is all. If I could build my own yeah sure, have the mean beastie.

Still might look at getting all the parts & have them assembled by someone..

anyways

Thx guys. things to ponder over while out fishing this long weekend....  yeah rightLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 1:28pm
24 inch would suggest a 1920 x 1080 res.
you could build a whole new system for around 1200 to 1500 mark and it would kill what you have now.
Check out tomshardware.com as they have some great articles on getting best bang for buck.
Most common mistake is getting more than you need.
4gb graphics card waste of time, the memory is useful if you going larger or more screens or higher resolution.
2gb would be plenty for your needs.

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by ancient mariner ancient mariner wrote:

24 inch would suggest a 1920 x 1080 res.
you could build a whole new system for around 1200 to 1500 mark and it would kill what you have now.
Check out tomshardware.com as they have some great articles on getting best bang for buck.
Most common mistake is getting more than you need.
4gb graphics card waste of time, the memory is useful if you going larger or more screens or higher resolution.
2gb would be plenty for your needs.

2GB should be more than enough..

Thx yeah will browse that hardware...

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 8:24pm
Computers are like cars, they need a good clean out with a vaccuum a wash , oil change and grease
All the computers in my office run 24/7....including my servers .. I run my own 'cloud', web  mail ftp servers.
The one Im on at the moment, I built as a gaming machine around 2002....now general office and runs the CCTV in the background and file server.. also runs my garmin maps opencpn etc
The email client machine is a gaming machine then a internet gaming server I built in 1998..
P3 bit slow now for anything other than email .. but reliable
The 'cloud' web / mail ftp etc is another gaming machine I built in 2003.
Then there is the old laptop I have in the garage.. general surfing, marine maps etc.. on a shelf under the bench and a std keyboard/ mouse and LED montor

All get around a 6 month clean up .. heat sinks etc, files / reg files clean up etc

Based on your description your problem is no more than needs a damn good clean out and service

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 9:15pm
Dammit you spoiling my "need a new one" excuse LOL Steps...

Ok so who can service it...

-------------

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 3:08am
build a new one,my son built one for gaming,using pbtech parts for 700 hundred and sold it for 18hundred.clever bugger for 14.now building another.way beyond my capabilities

-------------
water water everywhere,how many fish does it hold?

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 9:41am
Building a PC is basic stuff... BUT one needs to know what mother boards are long term reliable, as with video cards etc (if high end video use.. ie video editing , magazine publishing , gaming etc.. this comes down to experience)
It has been very difficult in resent yrs to be able to 'home build' quality units at competitive costs compared to many reliable brands for basic office use and high end stuff.... Since the advent of the P4 and relibity (espec in the condessor manfacture) and international stiff competition creating cut throught , low mark up pricing.
Also makes carrying of warranties etc difficult in more ways than 1....
Something that the small private builder usually comes a bad cropper on.
If one is importing and buying in their own components at good wholesale prices in quantities, and has a big enough turnover.. even then its not uncommon that in the last 10yrs smaller operators end up going into liquidation.
It is because of these reasons I have not built a custom machine since the early P4 days...other than for myself.

Posted By: eynon
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 10:01pm
air compressor pretty good for getting the dust out of heatsinks, make sure to hold the fans with a screw driver or something otherwise you'll wreck them and uh unplug the power before doing it.

a large build up of dust can mean the temps can get high enough that the computer will keep locking up/turning off after a short period of running, had that happen to my main desktop as it is sitting on the floor, took me far too long to bother to open the case up.

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 9:37am
NEVER/ NEVER blow out dust from electronic stuff with a std compressor... Compressors by nature condense atmosphere humidity....which creates even even 'wetter' air, even if the holding tank is drained....this very fine humidity... if lucky not to spray actual fine droplets, on the components then creates future slow corrosion dramatically shortening the life of the unit....

Yes do not allow fans to spin up.. they create their own currents feeding back in to the circuits.

Some mother boards simply slow down a a set cpu or mother board temp, others beep, others will close down.... then others have a 2nd threshold temp. will maybe lock up or allow time to save work and close down

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 12:43pm
OOH Dear, stupid thing got a software "issue"
Sooooo the tech told me, they backed up drive reformatted it, also said graph card needed replacing.
I acquired a 128 SSd, installed it & used the hd for storage & programs to run from. SSD just for windows. 2gb card installed as well. Comp up & running again!!

Was also told to run Microsoft Security Essentials it's free, instead of the paying for anti virus progs.

So far all good...

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 12:00pm
Ok it's finally given up the ghost Motherboard gone...

Visit PB Tech   New Girl up & Running, very nice lines she has too   lol...

-------------

Posted By: DavePayne
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 4:51pm
On my opinion the best wat to speed up your PC it's remove old HDD and install new SDD disk, clear and easy solution. Computer starts to work like brand new, i've try this about month ago and was surprised as never before. Planed to renew mother board + cpu + flash memory, but now i don't see any common sense in this cause simple ssd is clearly enough. 

Posted By: BrieDenver
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 7:25pm
Hmm, if that's the case, I may have to switch to SDD as well then.

Posted By: kritika25
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 6:42pm
I love ubuntu for my daily work. It's fine and speed is fast.

Posted By: terrafish
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 3:00pm
Wish I had of seen this old post a while ago. Not being very computer savvy, I "sped up" my old laptop by hurling it off the deck onto the driveway below. On the plus side I did manage to land it between the boat and car without hitting either. Now on the new one w10 is slowing down and having occasional seizures. Have managed to close down most background apps and this has helped considerably, but what else should/could I do?
Have run the defrag as well.

Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 4:16pm
Slow.. whats slow?
 programs loading 
browser loading ?
 web pages loading?

1st thing you do as uninstall all the programs you dont use
 then remove all the browser addons and plugins.
 If a std machine, remove your after market virus scanners , just go with the Microsoft mse.
 download a program called hijack this
 run the scan and kill all the start up programs , plugins etc 
 eg do you need office to run in memory when fire the machine up?  or just when you want to use word or excel?

And read my post above on blowing/ cleaning out the dust and crap from mother boards/ heat sinks etc.
 If it runs hot then the cpus automatically slow the machine down...

Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 4:18pm
I'm pretty sure my computer guy told me NOT to defrag W10 so will be interested to hear Al's words of wisdom.

Good aiming with the laptop terra, I'd have to have a few practise shots to be that accurate LOL

Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 4:55pm

I'm pretty sure my computer guy told me NOT to defrag W10 so will be interested to hear Al's words of wisdom.

Good aiming with the laptop terra, I'd have to have a few practise shots to be that accurate LOL
Bugger ours is set weekly defragment,turn it off "Uncle"??
And yes last  week or so have been having issues slow to load etc

-------------

Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:26pm
lol, don't take my word for it Paul.
I'm awaiting the pending arrival of Al to know what's whatBig smile

Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:27pm
The main issue here is that new computers may have SSD drives - solid state (electronic flash memory versus mechanical spinning drives), and these have a finite amount of writes and so defragging is not recommended for that reason. You can stil defrag but it isn't needed for SSD operation as they are fast and efficient.

If your Win10 machine is using the older SATA drives then no problem defragging is still good to do.

Try the CCleaner (crap cleaner) from piriform.org it is great at deleting temporary internet files which build up hugely over time.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:42pm
If you are not swaping in and out huge lots of data .. like many gigs a week.. turn off auto defrag.
 For a ave home  or office machine  if you a do a defrag once every 6 months manually..
 And when you do it manually it will tell you if its worth while doing, and in most case it will not.

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:52pm
Can't remember the last time I defragged a PC, This one must be 4 years old and never done it. Then again it is just for interrnet and word

-------------

Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 6:00pm
I've had W10 for a couple of years & never done a defrag.
It's running sweet & does everything I want quick smart, apart from posting bloody pics on this siteLOL

Posted By: terrafish
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 8:44pm
So just went and done a couple of big updates, which literally went hours, and now its running quicker again. Had just been doing the updates thru HP service centre but then found "update and security" in the windows settings. I suspect there may be more as when I re-ran the update search it came up with two more again
Maybe its only going quicker at the moment, out of fear, after learning the fate of its predecessor.
Uncle if you do ever have to "speed up" your computer off the deck, I would suggest two hands on either side of offending device, hips facing the direction you require and launch from behind the head, to approximately 30deg release. And DO NOT DO IT IN FRONT OF THE MISSUS, ruins any excuse about what happened!!

Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:20am
catchalot it helped,removed a lot of unnecessary files.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window