Forum Name: Gamefishing Updates and Reports Archive
Forum Description: Key info and threads from previous gamefishing seasons
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49959
Printed Date: 29 May 2024 at 1:25pm

Topic: Game fishing update - Whangaroa
Posted By: Grunta
Subject: Game fishing update - Whangaroa
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 5:02pm

BA has offered to keep us posted on what's happening around the Whangaroa area....

-------------
Online...

Replies:
Posted By: Blue Asparagus
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 5:17pm
ok guys will put a bit of stuff in here, this has been posted else where but will stop you going to look for it.

water temps are up and down as is the water colors, guys are going both north and south, it seems fish are really where you find them, lots of bait closer in than out wide so I feel your better off fishing 200m contour and closer. plenty and I mean plenty of spear chuckas around, try running a smaller lure, Jaapie informed me if you want to nail them run a small black and purple lure, some good oil.
Phantomdiviant hooked up in 140m, we saw a fish in 80 and had 3 shots in 370. a fair few blues around as well look at Mainlanders 239 and swordfish steves 200, guys are hooking up and being wasted, the vhf runs quiet then its all on. plenty of small fish over the scales as well, yip theres no weight limit but its a shame when we try hard to promote T and G, but hey each to there own.
best water temp I have come across so far is 20.9* thing is boys there was no bait in it, stands to reason there was no marlin either, hit the 335 and water dropped a degree, off the side and it picked up again, hit the garden patch and it dropped below 19, but hello there was the bait, refer to my earlier report and posted pic of the sign, we fished the doubtless bay trench, plenty of bait here.

there has been some good bites from areas like Bergans clay works, really there are not alot of boats out looking.

weather up here although very hot is on the decline with a pending easterly gracing our shores, this will no doubt stir things up a bit and move the water about, just have a funny feeling that after the blow it just maybe all on.

seems you dont need to go far guys, find the bait and work it hard, will be going to the club for an update so stay tuned.

-------------
Ultimate GAME Fishing Adventures. Northland

Posted By: kaimana
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 6:33pm

Steve is there no minimum weight limit on marlin to be weighted at whangaroa now

Posted By: Captn Phil
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 6:34pm

Good stuff Steve. 

Keep it coming!

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by kaimana kaimana wrote:

Steve is there no minimum weight limit on marlin to be weighted at whangaroa now

no mate sorry they still have the 90 for the club but there is nothing stopping people weighing a fish a charter boat up here weighed a 75k fish as I say nothing stopping a weigh in mate

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 8:05pm
further info this taken from Odins thread, dont think he will mind me posting it.

There was no bait there or birds for that matter so I decided to track in towards Berghans. Started picking up bait and Albies at around 230m, & at 200m came onto a big current line with lots of foam on it and tracked it down the coast until it petered out along with the Albies and bait at about 150m off Wekaroa. Decided to track back out to 200m as that was the depth of the best bait I had marked. As I tracked back north along the contour I was watching a launch that looked like it was dragging livies near a little canyon I have picked marlin up on before so I decided to track out on the canyon just north of where he was working. At about 250m the bait disappeared but I persisted and ran the canyon, worked outside the launch and tracked back in slightly south of him and back into the 200m contour. Was working a nice current line at 192m whwn I saw a dorsal come up behind short corner (black and purple  Hooker slash face) and start to wobble. Was just going to strat slewing the boat to see if I could get a bite when a second dorsal popped upo behind long corner (home made kingfish imitation slash face), no mucking around, it just smashed the lure. Not wanting a double on my own I dived across the engine box and got short corner out of the water as quick as I could, the first fish followed the lure right to the transom all lit up but luckilly didnt bite.

-------------

Posted By: Bushpig
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 10:07pm
Were any fish actually caught?

Lets have the real detail, how many tagged, how many weighed and what weights

-------------
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints

Posted By: 2SHITS
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 10:20pm
Yeah, I'm with you BP.... blue/green water, temp breaks, salvies best winter offerings mean noute to me... results with regards too da # boats....  not da 145 off da mumu again Shocked

Posted By: odin
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 10:21pm
Heres a nice pic for ya piglet. No need to be all negitive although I know its hard. Not weighed at Whangaroa but at Doubtless

Even those beady little eyes should be able to read the small print
There are fish off Doubtless but you need to hunt the bait, Dont get overly hung up on the temp, find the Albies and the bait and work it. This fish was done on a boat with no outriggers, and no temp guage.
Cheers
odin

-------------
www.fish-crazy.com

Posted By: [email protected]
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 10:27pm
How about a close up of that little lure Odin ! ! !

-------------
http://www.blackbillsportfishing.co.nz/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by RU4REEL RU4REEL wrote:

Yeah, I'm with you BP.... blue/green water, temp breaks, salvies best winter offerings mean noute to me... results with regards too da # boats....  not da 145 off da mumu again Shocked

YESUM MASA  eyes be a good wigga [white nigger for you red necks]and run off down the club and ask every 5 minutes Clown

-------------

Posted By: odin
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 11:11pm
You have actually had this one in your hands Lance. It has caught over 20 Marlin now - not bad for a garage knock up.
About time I gave it a polish and make it look all shiny and new again.
Cheers
odin

-------------
www.fish-crazy.com

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 7:08am
Thanks for the report BA
Pretty impressive results for that lure Odin!

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 8:28am

Personal attack eh odin. Whats wrong little man, have I upset you?

-------------

Posted By: Wind Up
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 8:31am

Thanks for your report BA. Certainly looks a little snotty this weekend but maybe this Easterly will be the final push needed to get that good water in b4 the One Base and Nationals.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 4:42pm
weather up here is great, except for the 20 to 30kts of Sou East, bit of a bugger and its predicted to get worse, if Sam or I get any updates we will post it up

-------------

Posted By: stef da maori
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 7:07pm
Just lookn at the sst. We're getting an eddy pushing up the coast from the water that the guys are catching fish on just off the ninepin at the moment. There is also the main push coming in from the 60mile in towards the whangaroa seamount, with a nice finger running towards cavs. Add 3 to 4 metres of swell over the weekend. Give it a coulple of days to settle, and Flat/CAvs/ Takou Bay will be holding good numbers of fish. You won't be going past 130m.
Watch this space.

-------------
Tama tu, tama ora. Tama moe, tama mate.Maranga mai, me hiika tatou i nga wa katoa.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 8:35pm
cheers stef, be interesting to see what this weather system does and if it will even get to us

-------------

Posted By: Kezza
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 8:44pm
choice Stef - big livebaits on top of the Taheke or Ruahine!

PS..up your way for a couple of weeks mid feb - after work missions to the pub/whale/130m off Takou/bush is it?.....will bring salami making gears - you get the ingredients - marloons, tunas and poakas!!

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 8:59pm
what dates you up here big boy

-------------

Posted By: 2SHITS
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 9:02pm
Sounds bloody good alright stef... fish in close on both coasts - moko must be tellin dem all its a recession Thumbs Up clayworks 2 da suck da kumera and all da rest last weekend 4 not even a fish in da gear..... will b back next week when ever da weather settles 4 justice Cool

Posted By: 49er
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 9:22pm
Me and mum did a shot out of Whangaroa today wasnt too bad 15 and a bit, some lumpy spots east end of stevies over entrance worked 150 to 250m got albies .good water 180 to 250 about 19.9 deg, no bait, no bites, lot of birds sitting --waiting

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 9:47pm
nice mate, what do you think on the weekend weather, am looking at having a crack maybe south this time.

-------------

Posted By: 49er
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 9:53pm
Hi steve,weekend looks a bit breezy,have put off my weekend trips,might stay home and mow whats left of the lawns and save diesel

Posted By: stef da maori
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 10:03pm
We may not get all the rain originaly forecast. But swell definately, and it's that easterly swell that we've been missing for a long time.
Kezz. Taking week of nationals off to fish where-ever. But definately doing marloons on calm days. Hogs on wet ones. Catch up for a mish somewhere when you are up here. definately keen for some mo salami. Heap of bluenose wings here that require youre "touche de finesse"

-------------
Tama tu, tama ora. Tama moe, tama mate.Maranga mai, me hiika tatou i nga wa katoa.

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

what dates you up here big boy

from the 15th Stevo.....Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2010 at 9:01pm
ok mate.

did not hear of much on the vhf today, boats were out and the conditions were not the best

we be out tomorrow, heading south in the hope of a rear end push home.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 6:19pm
seems there is plenty about some boats dropping a few one I talked to got 1 from 7 where well try the middle of the bay but guys are getting them on the way in to whangaroa a blue taken as well but they say a small one some nice stripies to 120+k
will be out tomorrow and going hard, oh the weather yse 35kts today what a croc 5kt variables boys and a nice big lazy swell, roll on 6am tomorrow.

-------------

Posted By: phantomdeviant
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 9:28am
Was going to head out this morning but the weather stopped us.Cry Still pretty windy. Wonder what its like wide

-------------
Skirt Pulla

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 11:48am
well today is a wash out, literaly, lots of well needed rain, wind was gusting at 49nts in the bay so was not nice, seen the charter fleet making there way back in, some as early at 6am, so looks and sounds like no fishing today and yesterday forcast of 35kts kept alot at home, simply it did not happen with variable winds up here.
oh well tomorrow is another day.

-------------

Posted By: Saltiga
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 12:11pm

Was out yesterday, had one up at lunch time, heading home hooked up on the taheke, 4 and half hours and pinged the line 50m from the boat, was a very nice fish, there were heaps hooked up yesterday 130 Takau, and 240 heaps bait, there was a small blue caught on the trench early in th e morning, the water is in now and very blue, 22.4 degress at 150m

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 1:31pm

Bad luck Sam, was it a black?

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 1:49pm
better luck next time Sambo!!

Posted By: Espresso
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 1:56pm
Buga - nice fight tho'  Thumbs Up

Posted By: mainlanda
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 2:12pm
bad luck sam. i shot out at 2pm beside my father inlaw in lordgrant was mint conditions .my father inlaw lost 3 one at the duck board i saw nothing but they there in not bad numbers close in too 80 thru to 200 plenty seen still not biting well alot of feed tho. 

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 3:47pm
what was it Sam? shark, or did you see it, just funny you dont say nothing.

Kile did you go out after my call mate, good on ya mate would have been dam fine out there

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 5:30pm
Was a marlin saw it twice, but sh8t happens, yer stef heaps bait aye, that water out there is mintm when playing this fish there was a huge gannet work up at 160m got dragged from taheke out to 190m, Black ?? well maybe would have been a desent stripy if it was, no point guessong weights as she is still swimming, yer steve heard you on the radio dont really need to say anything, heaps boats had fish in the gear but with all the feed around some where half hearted bite.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 5:43pm
good stuff, what lure to it nail, sounds like a good fish regardless and was it on 24if so thats a great fight time.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 5:45pm
yep 24kg not happy ha, lumo sprocket on SR other one up was on zuker 5.5 one base looking good me thinks

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 5:51pm
good stuff mate even when you loose em they are still a blast, 24k dam oh well its still there for next time.

-------------

Posted By: skidoggg
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

well today is a wash out, literaly, lots of well needed rain, wind was gusting at 49nts in the bay so was not nice, seen the charter fleet making there way back in, some as early at 6am, so looks and sounds like no fishing today and yesterday forcast of 35kts kept alot at home, simply it did not happen with variable winds up here.
oh well tomorrow is another day.
just as well i didnt bother towin the boat for 4 hrs each way  when i can have thosecrap conditiontions down here 30 minutes from home !
hard luck sam hope you can find it again in the one base good luck guys

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 10:03pm
very true but 30 minutes from home mate I wouldnt be towing up here to catch snapperLOL

-------------

Posted By: billpears
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 10:41am
Where were you this past weekend BA, looked everywhere for ya???
Was out Fri, sat and sunday but weather didn't really play ball.
Feel for ya Sammy, was a long hard fight, bet your'e sore today.
Stayed out Sunday night, was bloody lovely, not a cloud in the sky then woke up to a howling gale Mon morning, guess the rain is much needed up north but.
We got to temps of 21degrees on Sunday and had a couple of major bust-offs at Taheke.
Still good to be out there, and the scollies that i got diving were HUGE, thanks Sam.
All  i all, adamn good weekend

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 12:08pm
I was on the boat all weekend mate.

seems one of the charter boys hooked what he called a ****en huge shark says it was around 7m long called it a white this at the ruahine.
conditions here are still rubbish , hopefully the weekend improves in conditions.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 11:45am
Someone just told me thaqt a few marlin were weighed on the weekend, any truth to this?

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 12:20pm
Yep, was a good bite 130m off takau bushy, water on sunday was 22.5 at150m

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 11:01pm
HEARD OF 1 ONLY COMING INTO THE WEIGH STATION i LEFT JUST BEFORE THEY TURNED UP HAVE BEEN WRONG BEFORE, BUT AS SAM SAYS THE BITE WAS SOUTH OF THE CAVS

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 8:08am
Current weather conditions are blowing 15knot gusting 25knot, seas the the sweel with the chop on top.

Posted By: Titahi
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 8:31am
Looking better for tomorrow, we towing up from the Bay, quick spear fish, then out wide for a look  trolling back down the coast, to the mayhem @ Waitangi!!!
I cant concentrate on work now!!!

-------------
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 3:47pm
good luck still a bit of wind but I cant see it being a problem ,go hard.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 5:41pm
One getting weight tonight by rythm, still windy out here but hopefully it dies off tonight, will keep it updated

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 9:21pm
Just got a txt from Sonya the paihia Weigh master, she just finished weighing a "nice fish" for a crew who where fishing off the cavallis today, they saw 4 marlin caught one and 3 Mahi mahi. txt goes onto say they saw bugger all bait, but that the water was described as nice?

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 7:30am
wind still up out here on the coast, good swell running with chop,

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 3:44pm
Been about 3 or 4 today tagged or landed off here, lord grant is bringing one in to weight later tonight, sea conditions still up a bit but seems to be easing, while im stuck at home after having 4 wisdom teeth out swollen like a livey ballon LOL
Plenty hooked and lost too

Posted By: Shirazcharters
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 6:23pm
hope you dont lose all that wisdom sammy

Posted By: hogdog
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 6:38pm
Went out for a snapper fish yesterday from Matauri Bay was ugly on the eastern side of the Cavalli's was the only day I managed to get out with a steady 20kn plus SE all week

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 7:56pm
We dropped one at the boat today, north-east of Cavallis in 130m(before 9.30). Est 120 odd kg. Had a second fish on for ten or so minutes before it threw the hooks in a spectacular series of jumps. Also released a mako at the boat in 55m coming out of Whangaroa.
Bit of a mish punching  into the sea all the way back to the Nine pin, the  E swell and E wind on top  made for a couple of wet ones! However the 5 Alberts saved us from returning empty.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 5:43pm
Few fish around today we tagged one est 85kg, and landed a 10kg mahimahi, rythm got another, and few other boats have fish in the boot, fish all the way up the coast from wekaroa to Needles, we had one other half hearted shot.

one base shaping up well

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 5:52pm
only a few bugger, Jake dropped 5 today along with 2 bust offs while on a double, well done that man, sooner or later Jake me old mate wont be long ey.oh and well done on the fish to sam your old man must be stoked. good stuff.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 5:53pm
on ya Sammy....Thumbs Up...good sheeet bro!!

Posted By: phantomdeviant
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 6:22pm
Nice one Sam,congrats on the fish. We didn't get the motor fixed so came back in. Sounds like a good day out there, gutted

-------------
Skirt Pulla

Posted By: ancient mariner
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 6:26pm
starting to fire up that way, huh?

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 6:30pm
unlike other areas mate boats up here rarely call in hook ups or landed or tagged fish, so you dont get to hear alot, we have two VHF's scanning and people up here raely talk on 6 but do on 69 and 10, but yeah got a txt today from Jake P to say he was having a ball we only have a few more sleeps till we start out doing it hard.

-------------

Posted By: batfastard
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 6:41pm
top effort sammy

-------------
As my wife catches bigger fish than me, does that make me a bad fisherman or a great skipper.......

Posted By: ILEX
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 7:26pm
dropped a stripey in 130 off Takou today in some primo water -got some nice mahis as well 

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 7:48pm
Well done Sam!!
what size lures for the mahis?

-------------

Posted By: ILEX
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 8:39pm
our ones were on zuker grass 8.5

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 9:07pm
The classic yft lure!!
Had one year when they just loved little Macskippy lures then a couple of years back on purple/silver pakula guru (med sproc size).

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 9:39pm
Large lumo sprocket fishb8

Posted By: El_Robbo
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 9:45pm
Onya Sam.  Well done.  Hopefully clearing the decks at work for a shot this coming weekend... long overdue.

Posted By: mozz
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 7:42am
good **** sam, well done to your old man as well

Posted By: Dun Logging
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:25am
Well done saltiga talked to u on the air ways yesterday no fish for us just a small mahis good day but CHEERSSmile

-------------
Live for today because tomorrow might not come

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 10:10am
Oh was wondering who that was, yep you had the surtees right?

Posted By: Tinfish
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 10:17am
We put our noses outside Berghan point on Saturday morning  - water was 21 degrees but really sloppy. Picked up a couple of Albies then came back into the bay for a snapper session. Should be nice out there in the next few days....

-------------
Stand up to be seen, speak up to be heard. BUT shut up to be appreciated.

Posted By: Dun Logging
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 10:52am
Yip thats right met u once at smalls boat comp whangaroa i was fishin with angus hume who was with james and i yesterday

-------------
Live for today because tomorrow might not come

Posted By: TAZEE
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Saltiga Saltiga wrote:

That was the pimped out one right....Told you it would work...

Well down big guy.

-------------
WWW.WSLAURIE.CO.NZ

The Best fishing spot In New Zealand

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by TAZEE TAZEE wrote:

Originally posted by Saltiga Saltiga wrote:

That was the pimped out one right....Told you it would work...

Well down big guy.
A "pimped out" Lumo sprocket - tell more!

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 2:07pm
He can't cause his memory's f----dSmile

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 6:02pm
hey sam wheres the photos, no photot it didnt happen you know the storyLOL

wndy up here again boys but the week looks like it is panning out to be nice, one base starts on saturday looking good.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 6:28pm
was not to windy out there today steve,10knots at lunch(we werent out) but with convos with people it was only 10knots, with that easterly swell, thats how it was at home too.  fish caught all up the coast today shiraz, swordfish steve all had one by lunch today and jonhy longline lost one at the boat, other boats had fish also. didnt have cam on the boat bloody mum took it off ha hence the photo from home,

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 6:39pm
its alright sam you cant eat cameras

-------------
As my wife catches bigger fish than me, does that make me a bad fisherman or a great skipper.......

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 6:42pm
your righ there mate, we didnt for get the lunch LOL what time you heading up on friday??

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 7:44pm
hope to get up there arond 12 ish

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 7:55pm
awesome mate will see you on the daym any luck with the oil.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:16pm
will sort .mrs b will pic it up.when she goes to town its on her list.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:25pm
did I mention we have 5 days on the water mate. fishing is hellLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:32pm
10-15knots sat and sun NW so swell map says

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 9:47pm
Just heard that a fish weighed in by JB yesterday went 2-3 kg short of the two kilo W/R for a stripped Marlin for  a female angler, aparently the fish was eighty odd kilo. Very good effort by any standards

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 9:51pm
Shiraz weight one too, andys 90 year old pop nailed his first marlin Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 7:22am
Sammy, we's leaving AK bout 11 to 12 (lunchtime) and should be up around 3-30/4pm.
We're gunna be sleeping on Final Decision, i think it's on the same pier as Steve and Mike.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 7:25am
you had better keep the noise down billy.LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 12:52pm
Thumbs Up

Posted By: Tinfish
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 1:34pm
Just had a call from my now EX mate Censored. Has just T/R two strippies west of Stephenson Is.
Double hook up in aprox 180M on Willamson Lumo and Evil. Both around 110kg.Thumbs Up

-------------
Stand up to be seen, speak up to be heard. BUT shut up to be appreciated.

Posted By: Moocha
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 7:07pm
Has the big fulla popped out for a look solo  ?

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 7:14pm
yup....

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 9:39pm
plenty of fish, plenty of bait, none for me though water 22.5 over the last couple of days 5 weighed in and a heap tagged today Casa Adams from the sight got a double hokan bull got one and a fair few others as well good stuff

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 9:47pm
You work west of stevies or where steve ?? Bloody nice water out there aye

Posted By: CHASA
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 8:07am

Yea hell of a day for us on Chasa. Our first day of the season and we got two tags away. We had two fish spotted in the gear but no interest at all in the lures so at the 3pm we got on to a good ball of skippies and with one in the tuna tube we saw a marlin feeding 10 meters from the boat. One more albert on the bungie then we put the two live baits in on the bait ball. 10 min ticked by and we had 3 fish all lit up next to the boat fighting over the baits. 2 bites, 2 hooked, one fish went east one fish went west. ONE GIMBAL BELT !! We had one fish to the boat quick but just couldnt finish the deal. The other fish had be running hard and we were at  final 50 meters on one 80w so we turned and chased retreving the other 950 meters to tag an est 90kg spun around and got the other to the boat est 85kg. Hell team effort. Not a lot better than watching the marlin eat the bait 5 meters of the back of the boat. Small Mahimahi on the way home to boot.  West stevies 140m - 170m. If there is bait and you think the marlin are there put a livey down.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 8:51am
Chasa - that sounds awesome! Will be there in 10 days on Double Strike!

-------------

Posted By: tas-tackle
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 9:11am
great stuff adam... top effort..   I can see that smile Big smile on ya dial from way up here...:}}}}}

-------------
http://postimage.org/" rel="nofollow">
http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz

Print Page | Close Window