Print Page | Close Window

Anyone up for a fush, in Wellington

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Landbased & Surfcasting
Forum Description: From rocks or beaches, here's the place for the landbased fishos to share information
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45239
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 2:51pm

Topic: Anyone up for a fush, in Wellington
Posted By: mole
Subject: Anyone up for a fush, in Wellington
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 3:18pm
Any one keen for a afterwork fish Monday nite , as im lazy will likly go around Evans bay, and see if any early Snapper are about.

Replies:
Posted By: Kiwicaster
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 7:55pm
Flick me a pm with your intended spot Mole 

-------------
A recent survey has revealed that only one in seven dwarfs are happy.

Posted By: BigDaveTops
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 12:52pm
Would be keen but cant manage tonight.
Trie off Halswell a week or so, no sign of snapper but plenty of Reddies and spun up a 2 or 3 kahawai.

Shot round the rocks at Titahi on sat morn (got beaten up by the wind) but managed a trev, couple of blue cod and extracted a couple of kahawai from a work-up.

Let us know how you get on....

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 7:43pm
I got into wellington but had to turn back when my works alarm monitoring people rang me as the shop alarm was going off ( dont know why it went off...)

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 9:58am
yep it looks as the fishing gods did nae want to be kind, didnt get out either. tonite hopefully

Posted By: my_cat_loves_spotties
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 10:25am
Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 4:14pm
Did you get out?

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 8:01pm
yeah tues and wensday, not alot to show for it tho, 2 small trevs a kahwhy and a hord of spottys.
away this weekend but will be out and about again next week.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 8:45pm

Evans Bay?

Weather has turned to poop, but looking up a little for the weekend.
Planning to hit the south coast either sat afternoon/eve or sunday morning.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2009 at 9:36am
anyone giving it a nudge this weekend?

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2009 at 10:11am
Thinking of heading out but it looks fairly crap on the coasts .Might go for a play in the harbour .

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2009 at 11:57am
I think the wind is settling down tomorrow morning. But will probably still be a bit messy. Am tempted to try wainoui beach firts ting tomorrow, not such a big drive. Either that or play safe in the harbour.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2009 at 5:16pm
The harbour was a bit of a mess .I eventually found a relativity calm spot to hide from the wind .

Not a lot of fish around but caught a pair of kahawai on the spin rod plus a skate and a conger on the surf rod

Wainui could be fun if the swell/wind abates a bit .

-------------

Posted By: Wgtnsurf
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 10:56am
I can't find any good spots in the Harbour apart from Eastborne but that tends to just produce Kahawai, the rest of the harbour tends to be far too shallow. Any hints on where to go?  still don't know when I am going to be abel to get out

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 5:34pm
Eastbourne is as shallow or shallower then the rest of the harbour .
Evens bay is worth looking at most of the time .
The harbour produce some good fish but can also be a desert some daysDead

-------------

Posted By: Ces
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 7:02pm
i havent been out for ages, i might do a quick gear check tonite and see i can go out during the week; probably greta point, has anyone been there lately?

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 8:00am
I got out to Wainoui beach first thing Sunday morning. Got a few decent Kahawai, some cloudy bay cod (a first for me) and a couple of conger eels. The swell had settled down but the water was still a little murky.

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 6:03pm
Had a look at greta point the other day was dead during the time I was there and WINDY!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 8:26pm
weather is looking like cr@p for the rest of the week aye? i'm dying to go for a fish!!

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2009 at 1:03pm
If the wind stays down will be out next few nites,  starting in evans may head round to seaton tho will have to look at the tides.

Posted By: Inch
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2009 at 1:56pm
Hey where do you guys fish in Evans bay? I usually just go to Miramar wharf, the one with the rusty boat parked next to it. Am keen to try a new spot in the harbour. Any suggestions?

Posted By: Youngfisherman
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 9:10am
Their is a small park on the beach side. Its like a small clearing right next to the beach before you get to the wharf.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 11:20am
Do you mean the car park behind that NIWA building?

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 11:31am
uh its hard to explain, If you know where that windmill with coloured lights is, follow that road towards miramar wharf. Try to stay on the left lane, youll see a white drive way that leads to a clearing turn into that.
This gets you a park right next to the beach if your meaning the long stretch of water along evans.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 11:59am
thats a good spot, also niwa or any rocky point in evans or seaton. out tonite afterwork ,evans by those ugly peach apartments if anyones keen

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 10:00pm
Tell us if you catch anything Mole. I went to Wainui beach today for a couple of hours, caught absolutely nothing. The women next to me caught 2 cods though.

Posted By: BaKed n FisHing
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 10:31am
any ya welly guys going out today?
 im keen to get out there, still a northerly at the moe so not sure where to go, every where i go it'l be in my faceConfused if your heading out and feel like a buddy, can flick me a txt 0277269579

Posted By: Fissure
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 12:08pm
you'd have to try nguaranga in a northerly wouldn't ya? big cast into deepish water and chance of a snap. burley up

might have to take the s/b spin set up and some softies down myself if this **** carries on much longerAngryShocked

Posted By: ropo101
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 12:38pm
get some good terries and snaps around there also.

-------------
V8 Super Cars are back,Go the holdens!!!

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 1:08pm
Going to have a look around makara tomorrow .

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 7:24pm
Whereabouts in ngauranga? I've never fished there

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by kiwiceaz kiwiceaz wrote:

Whereabouts in ngauranga? I've never fished there

park at the train station and go though gap in fence, easy az

Posted By: Fissure
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 8:00pm

there is a subway from hutt rd which takes you under the motorway to the tracks and rocks/water. the subway is near the interchange/jarden mile. havn't been through there in a very long time though.

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 12:34pm
Hi guys, got sweet F A the other nite some small puss cod and a cold. Will be out again.

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 3:53pm

once the weather sorts it self out again. Should have some new toys to play with soon. anyone been catching anything ?

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by mole mole wrote:

once the weather sorts it self out again. Should have some new toys to play with soon. anyone been catching anything ?

yeh, hope this weather gets better soon, i wanted to go out tonite, but it was freezing! Gotta love dem new toys, what you gettin? i just got a new shimano baitrunner (12000D) and a 10ft beastmaster 10-15kgThumbs UpThumbs Up

Posted By: Kenshin
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 10:12pm

i just got a new shimano baitrunner (12000D) and a 10ft beastmaster 10-15kgThumbs UpThumbs Up

kewl new toyClap... hope you get some good fush on it, and post photos if possible. Havent seen how fushing is done down there.

-------------
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 8:07am
Anyone been brave (silly) enough to get out this week?
I am going out for a fish this weekend no matter what. Am getting withdrawal symptoms. Though I think the Southcoast will be off the menu!

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2009 at 2:03pm
. got out tuesday, picked up some more puss cod,was trying to find some trevs. bit windy tho.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 2:47pm
Will be heading to greta point tonite, anyone else taking advantage of the weather?

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 2:52pm
contemplating it, tho really should go install an engine whislt it not raining

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 3:29pm
Well, I've already called the missus to let her know! :-)

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 7:59am
Got out yesterday. Caught a couple of sizeable congers, a few small KY and dropped what I think was a decent trevor 5 metres out. Good to get out and was a top notch morning, esp after the week we've had.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 5:25pm
whered you get the congers?

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 9:40pm
ok my father is coming down for a week with his rod too, anywhere someone keen to recommend, would really like to find some snaps which i love, or a trevy- which i've never caught yet

tho i do have a key sorted for PC anytime now, so otherwise may just head down there, only ever had KY down thereOuch but not complaining really

Posted By: DeKay
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 9:11pm
Wellington spring sucks big time. Wind, wind, more wind. Water temp only just 13 degrees. Good luck guys, got to admire your dedication.

Yeahnah, I have bought a boat. We must get out some time when the weather calms down.
dk

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 9:31pm
dedication = Maddness  LOL

Your on DK will look forward to it. Not giving up on the yak??

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2009 at 7:47am
got the congers at titahi bay.

lovn WS's you may be a little hard pushed to find snapper already, but you never know.
a better bet may be to fish one of the south coast beaches for KY, Gurnard etc and even have a go at some grottys after dark. They may not be snapper but they pull like stink and taste pretty good too.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2009 at 5:20pm
whats grottys?

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2009 at 6:05pm
DK can I come fishing on your boat? Wink Lol was crazy enough to go out today as well as yesterday for a couple of hours. Caught decent gurnards on both days. The one I got today was full of roe, I guess they're coming in the harbour to spawn now. Things are starting to heat up!

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2009 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Youngfisherman Youngfisherman wrote:

whats grottys?

Lemon fish \ spotted smooth hounds
Mainly caught on crab or cray baits .....Really good fun to catch

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 4:33pm
Anyone got onto any Mokes yet?

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 4:38pm
Got another 2 gurnards. Total of 4 n 3 days, total of about 5 hours fishing. Woot

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 4:44pm
In the harbour?

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Inch Inch wrote:

Got another 2 gurnards. Total of 4 n 3 days, total of about 5 hours fishing. Woot

Dam inch, u da man! I've been getting skunked every single time I've been out! Can I go fishing with u one of these days? :)

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 6:07pm
Yep, I think the fish are coming into the harbour to spawn. All of my catches are nice and plump. Smile

Posted By: Tall stories
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 8:27pm
Has anyone ever had any luck with gurnard around days bay? Ive done a little bit of stuff off the whalf there but only managed red cod.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 8:37pm
I'll be fishing again tomorrow after noon at miramar wharf. The one with the rusty boat. Anyone keen just turn upWink

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 10:46pm

I'll be fishing again tomorrow after noon at miramar wharf. The one with the rusty boat. Anyone keen just turn upWink

I'll be there bro, I have to drive my wife to the airport at 9. I'll prob get to the wharf sometime after 10

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 11:18pm
As long as its not hosing down I might show up @12 as well

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 8:45am
not looking good guys!

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 9:00am
Originally posted by BigDaveTops BigDaveTops wrote:

Anyone got onto any Mokes yet?

try the airport end of lyall bay , dont need a big cast but try to get close to the rocks and use minimum 30lb, and a big fat crab  cut in half...Always mokes around there, also the end of seatoun beach , 1 st little bay near the park before it turns towards harbour entrance, always got mokes, smooth hounds and gurnard there and the odd trev.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 9:40am

not looking good guys!

LOL I am not going nowhere today ....

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 10:21am
Still going haha

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 5:00pm
Hey did anyone go? I saww a couple of fishermans but no1 was very chatty. Caught a decent sized red cod but it's really skinny. Prolly sick or something haha

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 10:10pm
nah mate, stayed indoors, cleaning gear and stuff, i'm heading to tauranga next week for a few days, so getting everything ready

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2009 at 6:48pm
nice to see a few gurneys around the harbour, then a big bang of lighting and it hosed down, packed up and came home

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 8:45am
Hey has anyone been on Wellington Fishing Charters for a fish? It costs about 150 dollars for a full day, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Any ideas?

http://www.wellingtonfishingcharters.co.nz/

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 12:49pm
Puss Cod and more puss cod, next week i think, nah they look prty good tho.

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 4:43pm

Hey has anyone been on Wellington Fishing Charters for a fish? It costs about 150 dollars for a full day, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Any ideas?

http://www.wellingtonfishingcharters.co.nz/ - http://www.wellingtonfishingcharters.co.nz/

Petes well known in the region and generally will put you onto a decent amount of fish .

Went out for a bit yesterday just a skate and a conger for me a and a few reddies for my mate .However another mate not too far from us got some moki and blue cod

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 7:59am
I got out on sat afternoon/eve - braved the rain. Picked up a few kahawai, some reddies and cloudy bay cod. Lost a really good trev 2 metres out. It got caught up in the little 0.5m swell and threw the hook. Was cursing!
No moki though - keep trying.

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 11:52am

After two hours of <hard> work! Tongue

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 7:22pm
primo!! i went out on saturday, 1 kahawai, 1 red cod and that was it... 

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 7:52am
Anyone got any cunning plans up their sleeve for this weekend. With the northerlies the south coast is looking tempting!

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 9:48am
I am heading out after moki on sat evening.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 11:24am
Zang....
Thats my plan as well. I think woolworths have mussels on special at 1.99 a kg. Gonna line up a mahoosive bag.

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 1:37pm
Hi guys,

May actually have a day free tomorrow to go for a fish (hoping to be free anyway).

As I have not fished south coast before, should I get time where exactly are the best spots to try???

I am after anything I can get LOL

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 1:38pm
will be first time in months I have got my line wet

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Wgtnsurf Wgtnsurf wrote:

Hi guys,

May actually have a day free tomorrow to go for a fish (hoping to be free anyway).

As I have not fished south coast before, should I get time where exactly are the best spots to try???

I am after anything I can get LOL

Either head around past red rocks for a k or two ( 4wd  walk or bike ) look for a beach with a bit of weed and rocks nearby  or in the middle of it . Or go over the rimatakas to ocean beach /lake ferry etc

Moki will go for mussells crab prawn or cray baits..
DONT cast too far moki most often be within 20/30 mtrs or even closer .Set your drag well as mokes seem to have 3 types of bites .
1.  just a bit of a rattle of the rod tip.
2.  bit of a bend then it just sits there.
3.  the full on moki bender this is when mr moki heads for the horizon ( normally when you are eating or having a wizz )LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 4:51pm
How did the rest of you all get on?
I took a mate out with the hope of getting onto his first moki .
Took a bit of doing in the end as the fish were not playing the game where we were until this one showed up to give Robin his first blue moki [email protected] kg

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 5:55pm
Man thats a nice moki, although that head looks longer than the one my dad caught his one was more round.

Posted By: Michael Jenkins
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 10:48pm
good work on the moki, solid fish that one.

Posted By: sooshee
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 11:01pm
Ooh that' a nice moki. Bet it pulled some string!

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2009 at 10:58am
Where about is that pic taken?

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2009 at 2:36pm
Im guessing either makara or breaker bay.

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2009 at 2:48pm
looks like breaker bay to me too!!

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2009 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Youngfisherman Youngfisherman wrote:

Im guessing either makara or breaker bay.

NopeLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2009 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by sooshee sooshee wrote:

Ooh that' a nice moki. Bet it pulled some string!

I was a classic moki bender and put up a reasonable fight .
A very good fish for his first ever moki.
All I could get was a reddie Dead but It was good to see that moki slide up the beach.

-------------

Posted By: one leg
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2009 at 9:07pm
That carn't be any where near Welly there is no force 9 gale , LOL nice fish too Clap

-------------
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .

Posted By: sooshee
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2009 at 9:52pm

Anyone venture out today? I took a newish-bie out today and he caught 2 small kahawai and I caught a runny nose.

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2009 at 8:19am
I managed to get out 3 times over the weekend with some measure of success. Managed to get some Kahawai, Gurnard and Blue Cod.  However, my weekend was capped off on sun night when  I finally got my first moki!!! Been after one since I moved to Welly earlier in the year. At 2.37kg not massive but I cant remember the last time I was so happy to catch a fish. Followed that up with another one (slightly smaller) that I released. I was buzzing!

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2009 at 6:55pm
Yeahnah that moki caught off Wainui? Haha been there done that, but a smaller one than yours, well done!

Why does everyone get so happy when they catch a moki?! I'd be happier if I get a snapper, but that's just cos I never caught one in Wellington....Confused

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2009 at 7:07pm

Yeahnah that moki caught off Wainui? Haha been there done that, but a smaller one than yours, well done!

Why does everyone get so happy when they catch a moki?! I'd be happier if I get a snapper, but that's just cos I never caught one in Wellington....Confused

Not wainui.
Snapper are not a common shore catch here while moki are at times readily available it can be tough work getting a big one.
In general they fight well and are also very tasty
I have had nights where I have moki after moki until I ran out of bait. Released all but a couple.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2009 at 7:19pm
What about east bourne?...i always thought of blue moki as wellingtons snapper even though ive never caught one, but ive caught only 2 tarakihi ever when i was young and they are pretty good fighters

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2009 at 8:57pm
Shocked It has to be Wainui...! I thought I recognised the land bit of the left of the picture! And the loose stone beds what you get at Wainui! If it's not Wainui, is it Pencarrow?

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2009 at 10:10pm
Around that area.

-------------

Posted By: wgtn_fisho
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 2:17pm
Hi all new poster here

Spotted the photo of that wicked moki and thought i'd share my latest. Hoping to get out this weekend, have monday off so hopefully this southerly will have died out by sunday or monday night. Looking to head over to Lake Ferrie, was over there on the long weekend with a mate and we got onto a run of moki, nothing as big as the one in the photo, all around about 5lb. My mate has done a fair bit of fishing and he got 5, and i got 3 and this was the first time i've caught one. Plenty of other fish like kahawai and gurnard and a few sand sharks were taking crayfish bait too. I was buzzing! Great time Big smile

Good luck over the weekend guys, certainly looks like the fishing is improving!Big smile Will let you now how i get on next week

Cheers

Pete

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 2:26pm
Picked up 2 kahawai down abit from shelly bay last nite, got skunked by somthing large will be having another  crack in a bit. herd of sum snapper over seatoun and eastbourn way will try to get the lad to give me some pics to put up

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 5:46pm
went out this morning to some rocks near scorching bay, didnt catch anything apart from 1 small blue cod. Snaps in seatoun i hope so...

Posted By: Broomy
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 12:12pm
Can you fish off the wharfs at Shelly Bay? Cheers Broomy

-------------
Cheers
Kevin

Print Page | Close Window