Print Page | Close Window

Big Perch

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Freshwater Fishing
Forum Name: Coarse Fishing
Forum Description: Anything coarse here....
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41661
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 9:54pm

Topic: Big Perch
Posted By: lemmy
Subject: Big Perch
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2009 at 7:07pm

Anyone out  there target Perch or get them as a bycatch while Flyfishing theres been some good ones landed at Pupuke lately by the coarse anglers as well as trout on maggots.

I caught some beautys while spinning off the bank at Ototoa over the weekend along with one hen.

Replies:
Posted By: Toad2
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2009 at 4:30pm
yea i target perch. catch them with squidgies, tobys and flies

Posted By: jamesdaulton
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 3:15pm

I'm not sure what qualifies as a big perch...but this guy was a fairly chunky number - caught this morning on a black and gold toby at Pupuke

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 7:35pm
Nice one JamesD thats a good one they have been rumoured to go double figures in the South Island but the biggest I have heard of was 8pound from Lake Kereta.(Where fishiong is now banned)

Posted By: Wanda_Ra
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 7:40pm
Used to instruct diving in Lake pupuke and we went in off the wharf by the pumphouse.About 50 metres off the wharf to the righ there is a buoy,at the bottom of that always saw plenty of perch about teh same as the one jamesd has caught.Often hand feed them and on night dives you woudl not believ the numbers of perch we often saw.There are some blimmin big salmon in there as well,we once saw a dead one that was a good 90 cm.

-------------
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 5:53am

Posted By: herby
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 10:02am
Going hard.... Salmon in Pupuke....really?

I've seen plenty of big perch in Pupuke (best area is between Carmel and Milford Primary) whilst spearfishing.
Kereta and Ototoa have a pretty big average size

Posted By: Rusky
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 4:11pm
I visited the Mahurangi Technical Institute a wee while back and saw their Perch farm in full swing.  The biggest one they had was 2.4kg, but apparantly the record stands at 6kg for NZ.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Rusky Rusky wrote:

I visited the Mahurangi Technical Institute a wee while back and saw their Perch farm in full swing.  The biggest one they had was 2.4kg, but apparantly the record stands at 6kg for NZ.
Are,nt those ones a different species "Silver Perch" for cleaning up after Grass Carp and eating plankton etc.?

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 8:25am
Nope. 100% Perch. 

Heres a picture, coudn't get any in focus as they were quite active:

Posted By: sbeehre
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 4:33pm
Where was the massive perch caught Lemmy? what a monster!!!

Posted By: arjay
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 11:17am
Woah!!! Where abouts in Northland are good spots for Perch Lemmy???

-------------
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead!

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 9:46pm
Not to keen to reveal locations online sorry,but any of the dune lakes on the West Coast contain big Perch just no one targets them specifically.
Big Perch eat big baits and some of the best ones have fallen to ledgered Dead baits preferably "freshly killed"Perch or trout up to 2 pounds at night.
During the Day live baits and lures are more productive but most Big Perch Anglers just use the day as a bait catching time and concentrate their efforts to coincide with the nocturnal activitys of the big boys who have been swimming New Zealands lakes since the 1800,s reaching 12lb to 13lb.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 9:53pm
Thanks for that lemmy - I just like perch but prefer using lures. Biggest so far probably around 3-4lb actually from turtle lake in hamilton before they cleaned it out  but might try for some jumbos up north after seeing that pic. staggering Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 10:37am
thanks Lemmy fair enough about not revealing locations but i think you gave given us enough general info! so Steve when are we going? LOL

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 11:01am
Also i often wonder why more people don't target Perch? they are a good eating fish from clean water and can be caught on similar methods to the current soft baiting craze with Snapper.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 1:14pm

I disagree Simon.  They taste like rubbish and dont have the firm texture and lack size to make a satisfying meal.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 1:37pm
Cam is playing cricket all weekend - had a good frost today - hope that doesn't put the brakes on.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Rusky Rusky wrote:

I disagree Simon.  They taste like rubbish and dont have the firm texture and lack size to make a satisfying meal.

im going to try one anyway and see what they are like... even if they are crap I'm still keen as to land a biggie on light gear. I guess the yellow perch they catch in the states are a lot different eating wise?

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by arjay arjay wrote:

Cam is playing cricket all weekend - had a good frost today - hope that doesn't put the brakes on.

nah Perch are one of the few coarse fish you can still catch in winter... ive been out at Hamilton lake during the middle of winter freezing my ass off and caught heaps.

Posted By: Muppet
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by lemmy lemmy wrote:

Nine pound of big Perch caught on a lure at night time in Northland.(Not by me)

That is a frikken horse of a Perch! Dead baits at night you say??

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 3:24pm

Ah caught on a lure thats still awesomeClap

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by sbeehre sbeehre wrote:

Originally posted by arjay arjay wrote:

nah Perch are one of the few coarse fish you can still catch in winter... ive been out at Hamilton lake during the middle of winter freezing my ass off and caught heaps.

Even in the states where they are highly regarded as table fish they say they will be average eating when caught out of warm or suspect water - cold clear water should be ok. Definately on my bucket list. Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 7:51pm
3lb 6 oz  (as good as you can hope for out of some lakes due to over population)

Good luck with your future Perch hunt guys,
 Some things that have worked for us in the past and maybe worth a try for big Perch as far as baits go, the most consistent would have to be there smaller kin ,but a couple of others that are worth a shot are short sections of "Fresh"Eel about 3 inches long and the all time best one fresh water Crayfish (Koura).
To get an indication of any potential targets if you wear some good poloroids and go for a day of catching small ones between Sep- Dec (spawning time) quite often the big ones will follow the nippers in trying to fornicate with them.
Please take any advice from me with a pinch of salt as I am certainly no Perch Expert and are still trying to figure them out myself 

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 8:50am
thanks Lemmy... i have been stocking up on berkley powerbait shads as well :) The only thing i was concerned about with the dead baits is bloody eels! do you get bothered with them much?

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 11:45am
Unfortunatly yes and thats a whole new thread so I wo,nt get into it on this one ,but thats why we started using Eel sections.
Another approach is floatfishing under small pike floats to get above the Snakes "BUT" Perch are really good at detecting any resistance and will spit a bait quickly making it less effective than a free running ledger rig in my opinion. 

Posted By: aji_tsuri
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 2:48am
Perch seem to be quite popular in USA and canada for eating (also some European countries).  Wouldn't dream of it in the UK (though from the canals and lakes over there'd be tasting of mud).  Probably from a clear water lake they'd be OK.  Looking a the pics here they are much bigger in NZ than in the UK.

Posted By: Michael Jenkins
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 6:59pm
ever tried stray lining your baits on a small overhead reel left out of gear with the clicker off, certainly works well on shy winter snapper in shallow water.

will they hit any salt water baits like anchovies, pilchards etc??

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 9:33pm

A good picture of the running ledger rig. 

Posted By: hrsepwer
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 10:06pm
Hi everyone, i m new at the forum here. I just need some help with regards to perch fishing at lake Ototoa. i went there last year but did not yield anything. i was a bit disappointed. any tips or suggestions? i m keen to get out there again this year and any bit of help and guidance would be helpful. i am new to fresh water fishing as well. what sort of flys or lures shall i be using? 

Thank you.

cheers

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 9:19am

Welcome to the forum ,when you went up to Lake Ototoa last time,
 What methods were you using (flyfishing or spinning)?
 What type of lures or flys were you using?
 What time of year was it?
Some of the best spots in Ototoa are really only reachable by Boat.
 Perch are are quite an aggressive feeder and I have caught them on most of the patterns you would use for Trout in Ototoa the main food for predators up there would be Inanga,s or small fry from other fish(Perch and Rudd) so a good start would be a lure or streamer fished on a sinking line.
As far as lures go I would be looking at some of these fancy new Rubber inventions that are everywhere now.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 11:48am
I went there around september last year.
 I was using Rapalas.  It was recommended by hunting and fishing.
 I was spinning using a 8lb braid. I did not take any soft plastic bait with me. i did not try any other baiting methods as well? was it do you think my line never even sank to the bottom considering the fact that i was using braid?

Do you  think i need to invest in an inflatable so i can row out and try different spots as opposed to spinning off the shore? but if i can catch some just by spinning off shore it would be a great confidence booster.

cheers

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 1:30pm

We only use bibbed lures(Rapala,s etc ) on the boat for trolling or deep water work even drifting and flatline trolling with them is good and relaxing  if you get the drift right with a good wind which is rare.
If I was a retailer I would recomend Rapala lures as well considering their so expensive and its possible to lose a few lures in a few casts if your fishing the right spots near snags or under trees.
 In my opinion for spinning off the bank around the margins and multitudes of snags which Perch seem to love to hang out in so they can ambush their prey you get a lot more action out of rubber(unscented versions) or even your Veltic type lures , remember to take the trebles off and replace them with a single good quality hook then sweeten that hook up a bit by sliding on a few Worm sections. 
You can buy good Quality sinking dull coloured braid now not sure what you are using but if its your Flouresent floating braid that the boys use to fish washes with softbaits that could cause you problems.
A boat will open up so much more water for you in a multitude of lakes around New Zealand and is a great investment and a little electric motor is also handy if your keen to troll lures a lot of lakes have a ban on any other type of outboard .

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 3:52pm
thank you very much for the tips. Yes i see where my problem was. i was using the fluorescent floating braid for soft baiting, looks like that was the flaw to begin with. i will be going there in a few weeks to see how i do again. As i said i m only just new to fresh water fishing i will have to be patient this time around. i will be buying those unscented lures as well. I will be using a sinking line this time for sure. What time of the year do you recommend is the best for lake ototoa?

Thank you

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 5:14pm

Summer time seems to be best probaly because of all the small fry around if you start getting strikes there are always more there as they like to shoal up.
Good luck let us know how you get on Lake Pupuke is also a good Perch spot and a bit closer to home.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 11:08am
thank you for all the tips. i will try lake pupuke as well. but i am more adventurous kind of person so i like to drive out a bit further plus i enjoy the scenic drive to ototoa. I will let you know how i get on.

cheers

Posted By: Ugly Duckling
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 2:29pm
Canterbury  is blessed with two waters with world class perch. the Halswell River and the Okana River; both these have produced many perch over the years in excess of the magic 5lbs. Some 6 winters ago a dead fish partly eaten by rats weighed in at a little over 8lbs. These two waters have two things in comon, a lot of weed and a large head of rudd.
Live baits produce the most big fish including big eels, spinning and plug baits are sucessful in clearer water, fly fishing with large sparkle nymphs works well as do mini marabou jigs. By far the most successful is paternostering with large worms in the holes in the weed jungle or under the old man willows. Look for water with steady flow, a clean bottom and with a depth of 5 to 6 ft. Drop the rig in and wait no more than 5 minutes before moving on. Sometimes a couple of feet is enough to find a fish. Don't forget the big boys are usually loners having out lived their shoal members or eaten them. The best paternoster rig I find is a long link running ledger, aim to get the bait an inch or two above the bottom and on feeling the bite slacken off by dropping the rod tip, when the fish is felt lift into it. Big perch take their time on a sure meal like a static worm so do not hurry the strike!
Good luck, specimen perch are well worth while and big baits help to target the big boys.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 7:15am
Hey Lemmy do you know if there are big Perch in the Kai Iwi Lakes?

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 6:05pm

well i got a nice Perch today in Hamilton Lake! 2lb 11oz which is my biggest so far

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 8:12am
I,m not aware of any coarse fish in the Kai iwi Lakes although I,ve only been there once camping and we were only waterskiing that weekend.
What a nice Perch you caught there mate from your kayak was it on a lure or bait?

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 2:08pm
Hi Lemmy i got it on a softbait

Posted By: Tore
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 3:30pm

I've been eating perch my whole life from lakes in Norway. I would take a crispy fried perch over trout any day (especially the NZ trout...). Even the small ones. Takes about a minute to skin and gut each one. Like chips! The small ones actually taste the best. The big ones can be a bit coarse. Good for smoking I've heard.

This is a very interesting thread! Might have to give it a go with a light spinning tackle and softbaits. And a float tube.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:16pm
Anyone been chasing those big Winter Stripeys I have heard of a few good ones coming out up North the best being 4 pound.

Trotting for Perch with a lobworm on frosty morning great fun on the pin.

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 11:04am
the best so far is 3lb 10oz from Hamilton Lake

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 6:28am
Big Stripey 4 lb,1oz ,  they are out there.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 8:10am
When you take into account that the fish is probably about four times the width of the guy's wrist long, it'd be, what, ~32cm long? That is a good photo, makes it look like a pretty big fish.

Posted By: luderick -angler
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 9:13pm

Anyone been chasing those big Winter Stripeys I have heard of a few good ones coming out up North the best being 4 pound.

Trotting for Perch with a lobworm on frosty morning great fun on the pin.

thats a nice pin you got there reminds me must get my 1lb TC Split cane and pin out one day!

-------------
I support any team thats playing against the Aussies in any sport!

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 3:11pm
Theres a guy in a green sit on yak fishes the southern end of the Hamilton lake and twice i have seen him catch perch 2-2 1/2 pound perch over the last few weeks.

-------------
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 10:31am
Ive been fishing there as well and the best Ive done so far is 3lb 10oz! Ive only been out 2 or 3 times and got a 2lb 11oz then the 3lb 10oz one. To me that means there are plenty of decent ones in there as if they were pretty scare you would think that the big ones would be few and far between. I know a guy who reckons he found a dead one that they weighted and it was 9lbs.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 11:16am
Jesus 9lbs think that could be a WR.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 12:09pm
i use a small hand net in the southern end now ans then to take some of the smaller fish water fish and baby catfish for my home aqarium and i have seen a few dead perch at times,never seen a 9 pounder though..

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Jesus 9lbs think that could be a WR.

check out lemmys post on page one.. it shows a 9lber caught up North

Posted By: Bushkid2
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 4:32pm
 I learnt to fly fish as a kid chasing perch in the hamilton lake. The southern end is the deepest part at around 6m, it was here that we got our biggest perch  (up to 4.5lb but herard of an 8lb) though not on a fly, always on live small perch. There also used to be monster rudd when they first turned up in the early 80's that would have been up toward 4lb but only for a couple of years then just small ones.
 Back then the lake was clean and clear, we mostly got our perch by walking the edges and casting at the perch we saw swimming out from the bank, twas great fun for a kid. Live tadpoles under a float were awsome too.

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 10:04am
The deep part you mention is were i got my 3lb 10oz fish.. it was caught on a soft bait using a 2/0 jig head and 4" grub

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by GoingHard GoingHard wrote:

i use a small hand net in the southern end now ans then to take some of the smaller fish water fish and baby catfish for my home aqarium and i have seen a few dead perch at times,never seen a 9 pounder though..

Hope you've got some kind of permit for that.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by herby herby wrote:

Originally posted by GoingHard GoingHard wrote:

Hope you've got some kind of permit for that.

Herbys right not quite legal what you did there mate transfering any Freshwater fish even Sports fish is a big No ,No.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 7:35pm
Herby, why do you need a permit to see dead perch?

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 8:05pm
i think he is meaning me re the taking of small fishies home to feed to my larger ones as live food.

i do it all over the place collecting all the tadpoles etc i can from ditches streams etc and those small guppy things( Gambusia?).Didnt think there was any real harm in it..

( Last time i had the kids helping and they collected about 20-30 2 inch long catfish but had no idea in the mucked up water what they had caught for me until i had already arrived home.First time i had ever caught or seen them..cat ate them all except for 2 i have kept for novelty purposes)

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 5:47pm
yup as kids we used to catch the perch, carp and rudd in Hamilton lake, using our canoes filled with water as a transport bin and bring them back to our place (we lived on the edge of the lake) to stock our swimming pool in winter. No matter what the weather we could always going fishing then. We had no idea this was illegal, at least we had fish and game licenses, just didnt read the fine print.
We met a gentleman one day by the name of Mr Smith who asked us to help him catch some perch so he could take to his place to breed and stock other lakes. We thought this was a great idea and good fun. Many years later it turns out this man was a real pain in the neck for fish and game due his habit of introducing either noxious or unwanted fish into waterway all over the
Northern North Island. He was even prosecuted for it a couple of times I think.
There are plenty of good reason why fresh water fish should not be transferred from place to place such as predation on existing native fish, competion for (limited) food/ prey resources, degradation of water ways etc.  There are also some pretty heavy fines for doing so.
Am not sure on the regulations regarding non native tadpoles and frogs though needless to say these critters are really suffering in urban areas due to decline in water quality and pollutants etc.
 These days I dont fish for coarse fish as there are so many other fish to catch in so many places that the often suburban environs that coarse fish are found in just dont appeal. I did however try to catch tench on a fly a couple of years ago but after many refusals dug up a worm and caught it with that.
 Coarse fishing is a great way of getting young people in to the game of fishing though.
 Has any one caught a koi on a fly?this is on my to do list.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 8:21am
Carp in Hamilton Lake? hmmm ive never seen any! i did manage to get my first tench from there the other day though!

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 5:30pm
Sbeehre,
 We used to catch a lot of carp (more likly goldfish) as kids. They used to congregate and spawn under the road bridge where the outlet to the lake is or was by Innes Common. Largest was maybe 500gm, 99% olive green colour with only the odd orange/ black one. We only ever caught a couple on worms and that was in the stream that followed from the lake outlet.
Tench were not introducwed into the lake before I moved away.

Posted By: indigo1
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 2:18pm
I caught a small (15-20cm) perch recently in a wee inlet on Lake Dunstan. Just spinning with a bronze toby from memory

Posted By: Jutte
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 7:13pm
When I was a kid - the biggest the Perch from memory I caught was 4lbs something .
My father caught one that was 6lbs - huge it was.
This was in Canterbury.
Seen one that was about 4lbs in Lake Dunstan  - it followed my spinner in -saw me and took off.
I was so surprised as I didn't know that they were in there.
Funnest thing I ever saw was Dad trying to scale a perch - we finally worked out how
to skin them - very nice and tasty !

Posted By: jomimac
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 11:53am
Hi
My name is John McAngus, here in new Zealand until February. I chair the UK perchfishers and would like to make contact with anyone in the northland who fishes for big perch. Am staying in Opua
Struggling to find perch waters so far
John

Posted By: taurangatroutmaster
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 4:52pm
livebaits are the way to go for big perch, best 1s ive used is baby perch 

Posted By: spastical
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 11:25pm
hey all i live 30 minutes nw of kaiwaka ont he west coast in northland does anyone know of a specific river in this area that has perch in it the map on this site marks and area near me but the problem is the mark is very unclear and covers a large area which has mutiple waterways any help would be great cheers!  http://www.niwa.co.nz/freshwater-and-estuarieszffdIWA-fish-atlas/fish-species/perch - http://www.niwa.co.nz/freshwater-and-estuaries/nzffd/NIWA-fish-atlas/fish-species/perch

Posted By: FishMan
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 6:50am
Spastical,
There are perch in the old Warkworth Limeworks pond. You have to pay for entry and lots of kids swim in it Stern Smile. There used to be some big perch in there, but not sure of its status these days. You might want to talk to Dave Cooper at MTI in Warkworth. They have done some work with the aquaculture of perch and may know of populations in that area.
Most of Northland is devoid of perch and the populations that do exist are generally full of stunted individuals. The species seems to do best in the deep south where there are hard winters.
Hope this helps.

Posted By: Tinca
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 8:22pm
I think you'll find that there is no longer an admission fee at the Warkworth cement works. Never fished it but when I did a walk around last year I did spot 2 large carp hanging out close to the reeds at the far end. Natural colouring, ie not orange.Never got back there to fish for them.

Posted By: NZ Black Hooks
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 8:26pm
Guys can I please ask you to look at the posting I made in the Captain Morgans Briney bar re the New Zealand Black Hooks. I would like to hear from you as this is one of the species that is on the target list again in China!
Cheers
Karl

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 2:03am
http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/international-kayak-fishing-challenge-china-2014_topic98037.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/international-kayak-fishing-challenge-china-2014_topic98037.html
Heres a link to blackhooks post.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 8:42pm
Northland is outside of the containment zone for Coarse Fish so anyone too post where there is a healthy population of Perch on here is potentially placing a death warrant on that Body of Water .
At one time the Northland Lakes were earmarked for Large Mouth Bass ,which considering 60 percent of New Zealands population lived north of Hamilton at the time,  it sounded like a good idea to give the boys something to fish for in the freshwater.
Unfortunatly it went down like a bucket of Vomit with the Trout Anglers and  Rotorua Lakes and Taupo ,were concerned it would draw tourists and local Anglers away from all they had set up to cater for Trout.
Not quite sure what happened but we now have empty lakes surrounded by such vegetation that people ca,nt get near them,and if theres any danger of someone wanting to fish in it they stock it with Grass Carp and put "No Fishing" signs up.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 12:40am
jeyaysus.. if I could get largemouth/smallmouth bass or pike into nz I wouldn't hesitate.. Trout is as much fun as a wet stick compared to those.

If I ever won lotto it would be a done deal.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 5:43pm
Anyone been chasing the winter Perch we have had a few good mornings lately with two fish over the 3lb mark this winter ,although I have heard a rumour there was a Biiiiiiiiiiig boy caught in Northland on the weekend still waiting for the photo proof though.

Posted By: redoctober
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 4:33pm
just spent 10 days fishing the lower north island looking for perch with no luck. too many issues with 'access', intimidation by locals etc. Without worring about the weather, seems a waste of money getting a winter licence when the fishery is so awkward.

Posted By: Lambchops
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 4:56pm
Can anybody help,iv heard there are pearch in the Whakamaru dam that can be caught by spinning of the shore.fact or fiction? Used to catch them in Lake Wairarapa years ago .am keen to give it ago.

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 4:04pm
Well, I can say for sure there is perch in Lakes karapiro,Arapuni,Atiamuri and Ohakuri.
Since Whakamaru is right between the last two it wouldn't exactly surprise me.

@ Atiamuri we catch them within yell of the boat ramp off moana ave.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 12:24pm
Thanks for that Wanda Ra,will sort out some black and gold tobys and give it a go.cheers.

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by redoctober redoctober wrote:

just spent 10 days fishing the lower north island looking for perch with no luck. too many issues with 'access', intimidation by locals etc. Without worring about the weather, seems a waste of money getting a winter licence when the fishery is so awkward.
Do you need a license to catch perch and carp? Are they not a pest.seen some carp in the puhinui stream.by the cemetery

Posted By: o Neill
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 1:45pm
Perch are listed as a sports fish so require a licence.

Posted By: pjc
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by o Neill o Neill wrote:

Perch are listed as a sports fish so require a licence.
thanks

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 7:53am
Just seen this thread.

I used to go lake fishing in Ireland at uncles place. I was from the UK - only knew how to bait fish with worms. Caught numerous to 3 1/2 lb and we ate them...better than trout!

Recently I've been out perch fishing at Hamilton Lake with a mate who has pancreatic cancer. Spinning is great for him as he can have a fish and sit down on the benches for a rest.
We have caught lots on a mix of lures: Rapalas, veltics, black toby and Storm soft plastics. I clip off the underside trebles and catch them on the in-body top hook.
The trout colours work well but the rainbow seems better.
We haven't caught any big ones but we do find it very relaxing and my mate loves it - very therapeutic, indeed. We get loads of people stopping to chat and ask lots of questions.
Loads of Pokemon hunters at the moment!!
This was last Wednesday

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 4:21pm
Wanda Ra went to the spot you recomended at atiamuri,there were dead eels laying on the clear bottom.I made a few enquires fro the locals,appears that the owners of the power stations do regular spraying in the dams to kill the weed, looks like it kills everything.this country is ruined by the multi national companys in the name of profit.I wish a political party would draw the line.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 4:29pm
I would contact the regional Council about this and talk to the environment officer they would have to have a resource consent to do such spraying .

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 1:50pm
Why, is there a problem ? anyboby can get a resource consent in this county .Its all about profit and poisoning is the cheapest method .

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 5:40pm
A pb from Hamilton Lake, today.
3 old codgers - Last of Summer Wine

-------------

Posted By: part-timer
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 9:55pm
Nice work Fishb8...    and a nice fish also  Wink

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 6:26am
Great pics! Well done with your PB.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 2:02pm
I followed your advice and rang enviroment waikato.they have issued resource consents for all hydro dams to control oxygen and other weed which can cause obstructions to the control gates.

Posted By: Roland56
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 11:31pm
Hi Tony (Ugly Duckling)

I just had a very nice fishing for perch in the Ruamahanga - fish up to almost 1 kg. Not bad for me being used to much smaller perch in Switzerland.

I am in the lake Tekapo area at the moment and head back to the north island mid April. Would it be possible to fish with you the Okaha river and the Halswell river once on the way back? Would be great.

My phone number is 021 168 24 99 and my mail [email protected]

Kind regards

Roland

-------------
Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is much more important.

Posted By: makka
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 9:34pm
Plenty of nice perch in the Ruamahunga!
Plenty of good perch in Switzerland too, I caught some very nice ones in the Rotsee

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 8:07am
Also, you may not hear from Tony (Ugly Duckling) as he has not been online for 3 years

Posted By: Roland56
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 11:58pm
Hi Makka

Thanks. No ugly duckling online for three years. Sad. But I am happy with any help from Kiwi perch enthousiast. We just had a very good Thai curry with the Ruamanga perch out of the motorhomes freezer.  It's a pitty that not many Kiwis appreciate that good fish out of good waters. Like the Rotsee in Switzerland. To get real big ones there is quite difficult, but the small ones are a delicacy too and cost a lot in a Swiss restaurant.
We are heading to lake Dunsten near Cromwell the next few days.

-------------
Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is much more important.

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 7:43pm
Let me know if you are in the ruamahunga area again and I will see if I can get out for a fish with you, I have always enjoyed catching perch, that's what I grew up catching in Australia.

Regards,

Cohen

Posted By: david236
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 7:41pm
I like white perch.Tongue

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 11:11am
Originally posted by makka makka wrote:

Let me know if you are in the ruamahunga area again and I will see if I can get out for a fish with you, I have always enjoyed catching perch, that's what I grew up catching in Australia.

Regards,

Cohen
Perch in the river?
Went to Wairarapa recently and spent a few days in Martinborough and drove to the river and watched a couple of people fishing.

-------------

Posted By: david236
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 9:59pm
Wow! A big one perch. Perch is my favorite fish.

What is your choice?

Do you want to know how to catch a perch perfectly? Then knock https://fishingtask.com/how-to-catch-white-perch/" rel="nofollow - here .

Posted By: 064pointbreak
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2022 at 2:07pm
Where did you catch this?

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 10:15am

I have a couple of questions for you:
Did you bring a 30cm ruler? And where did you catch it?
As a matter of fact, I caught a 32cm perch at Sylvan park on a paddle tail softbait.

Now that's what I call big! 

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 9:26am
That's a nice Perch👍

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Just seen this thread.

I used to go lake fishing in Ireland at uncles place. I was from the UK - only knew how to bait fish with worms. Caught numerous to 3 1/2 lb and we ate them...better than trout!

Recently I've been out perch fishing at Hamilton Lake with a mate who has pancreatic cancer. Spinning is great for him as he can have a fish and sit down on the benches for a rest.
We have caught lots on a mix of lures: Rapalas, veltics, black toby and Storm soft plastics. I clip off the underside trebles and catch them on the in-body top hook.
The trout colours work well but the rainbow seems better.
We haven't caught any big ones but we do find it very relaxing and my mate loves it - very therapeutic, indeed. We get loads of people stopping to chat and ask lots of questions.
Loads of Pokemon hunters at the moment!!
This was last Wednesday

Well that's because they love to gorge on trout fry if there's a chance.

Print Page | Close Window