Forum Name: Freshwater Fishing reports
Forum Description: Post your report here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38498
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 4:45am

Topic: Rotorua Lakes Daily Update
Posted By: Mudfisherman
Subject: Rotorua Lakes Daily Update
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2009 at 12:34pm

Lake Rotorua's surface water temperature rose 0.22 off a degrees between 5am and 11am this morning to 21.66 degrees C.Algae levels have only dropped 1 point to 4.1 during the same period. The wind has swung from WNW at 14.0kph a few degrees to the North at 15.12kph. Barometric pressure has risen just under three points to 1018.1hPa and humidity has dropped from 82% to 64%. There are a few clouds hanging around though it doesn't look like rain any time soon. The UV Index is very high at 10 and we are expecting a high of 25 degrees C by 3pm this afternoon. As at 12.25pm it 18 degrees C and the wind has swung back to the South West at 7kph. The outlook for tomorrow is cloudy at times. The first quarter of this months moon is due 04/03/09 at 8.47 and the Autumn Equinox is due on 21/03/09.

Lake Rotoiti's surface water temperature rose 0.23 of a degree between 5am and 11pm. The thermocline is stable at 14 to 16 metres.

Replies:
Posted By: HareNcopA
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 1:37pm
Thanks for the updates Bert

Am thinking of a sneaky evening in Rotorua this weekend

From your former #1 student Kane

-------------
Behind every good fisherman is a lonely woman

Posted By: Pole Dancer
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 1:51pm
I'm thinking, thanks to Bert's updates, that a Rotorua night miss may be on the cards for me too soon.

-------------
http://www.clarkreid.co.nz" rel="nofollow - www.clarkreid.co.nz    FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier

Posted By: Fish Mad
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 6:30pm
Rotoiti fished quite well yesterday.
Fish were LPs.
A mix of 2 and 3 year olds.
Ranged from 3lbs up to 5lb 12oz.
Managed 8 in half an hour.(bite time was about 3 quarters of an hour)

-------------
~~REMEMBER;FISH HAVE TAILS AND THEY USE THEM?~~

Posted By: kiwitroutbum
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 9:56pm
I'm hoping to get up that way in July
What does a poor Otago boy do to catch a fish? I take it they don't rise to size 18 emergers?

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 10:12pm
Usually on 20's by then...
PM sent...

-------------
http://www.clarkreid.co.nz" rel="nofollow - www.clarkreid.co.nz    FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 7:52am
PM replied

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 12:40pm
You will need to leave your finesse behind in Otago and put on flies between sizes 4 and 10 lol. Mostly flies such as craigs night time, black phantom and any of the lumo flies for night fishing.  Egg patterns in 12 and 14s are worth trying during the day to sighted fish.  Drop me a line just before you leave and I will let you know what flies are working and perhaps work out a stratagie for metting up here so that I can show you a few places to fish and tricks to try

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 9:14pm
Cheers
I'll be keen to have a crack and know of just the chap to show me round
So you can sight your fish from shore?
Is it worth bringing a stripping basket?

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 7:05am
There should be some sight fishing to lake edge spawning fish available at during July, though June is probably a better month for doing that. Most of our fishing up this way is 'blind' fishing though you can cast to fry bashing fish at spots such as Ruato Bay on Lake Rotoiti right through to October/November.  A stripping basket is always a good idea (and is easy enough to pack) as there are several stream mouths to fish off including the entrance (outside the closed area) to the Ohau Channel which connects Lakes Rotorua and Rotoiti.

Posted By: Nandor
Date Posted: 28 May 2009 at 7:05pm
Hi mate.

I am just after carp fishing. Any suggestion where do I need to go to catch one?

Which is the closest carp lake from auckland?

Thank you

Nandor

Date Posted: 28 May 2009 at 8:07pm
There are plnty of places around Auckland where you can catch Carp, though I don't know the specific spots.  There are three coarse fishing clubs in Auckland that have ponds etc that they guard jealously.  Auckland/Waikato Fish and Game, based in Hamilton, will have the addresses of the clubs. This time of the year is a challenge to catch carp as they tend to go off their food as the water temperature drops but the Whangamarino Wetlands is one spot that can produce Koi and goldfish.  Lake Hakanoa in Huntly can also produce various coarse fish including Koi 5kg plus in size.

Posted By: tedc
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 10:35pm
Fished Okataina beach this evening from 6 - 8.30pm.

Got 2 rainbows 5lb 2 oz & 6lb 10oz so very happy for my second time out trying this method.

Fly was a green lumo doll, not sure what size.

Cheers
Ted

Posted By: EDyaka
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 2:17am
Spent last week staying at the Waiteti motor camp and fishing the stream and mouth. Plenty of fish visable in the stream but difficult to get to take - I managed an average of over 4 fish per day most of which were in prety good condition and missed enough takes to keep it interesting in between.
Even managed a couple of nice Browns during the day.
Will be back in July so cant wait to get some lake edge fishing in - should be much better then I'm told.

Posted By: Ocean Adikt
Date Posted: 15 May 2010 at 8:02am
Hi guys I'm coming down to Rotorua to pick up a motorbike on sunday and was wondering where would be the best place to try a bit of spinning? is it aloud? I do have a boat I could bring.

Date Posted: 15 May 2010 at 8:33am
Hi Dolly, Apart from a 200 metre radius of the Ohau Channel and the Awahou Stream mouth you can spin anywhere on Lake Rotorua.  You can also spin at Lake Okataina.  The other small lakes are also open to spinning (Okaro, Rerewhakaaitu, Okareka).  Most of Lake Rotoiti and Tarawera are closed to spinning as well.
Bert

Posted By: Ocean Adikt
Date Posted: 15 May 2010 at 8:50am
Ok mate that's great - thanks for that. Will post report on how I get on. Cheers.

Posted By: flyfishingsfinest
Date Posted: 15 May 2010 at 11:19am
Hey all,

After fishing rotorua through summer and having some good success im keen as to get down lots during winter. I normally fish taupo, but for day trips etc going to rotorua normally means another hour or two on the water.

I was curious about what people think is the best winter fishing available down there, as i havent fished there over winter before. I would like to concentrate on the rivers, like ngongataha, waiteti etc. But ive heard stories about lake edge stuff etc and was wondering what its all about, where the favourite haunts are etc.

Any info would be appricated, im really excited about this winters fishing haha.

Cheers

Posted By: Hook up!
Date Posted: 16 May 2010 at 9:48pm

Brought a license and had a crack at the Waiteti river mouth and up the stream a little with no luck. Water was very dirty so decided to head to the utuhina stream in towards town where I have seen trout before but had no rod - still NO LUCK, didn't even see any. But that's fishing.

Posted By: roddholder
Date Posted: 24 May 2010 at 6:26pm
mudfisherman, rotoiti and tarawera are NOT closed for spinning.

the only restriction is around some stream mouths.

check with local retailers or ring fish and game.

-------------
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.

Posted By: zimbo
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 7:14pm
Can any off you tell me of any good spots to fish, from the Banks of the lake as i do not know how to fly fish, i usually spin fish, but have not tried Rotorua Lake yet. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Posted By: tedc
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 8:00pm
Hi Zimbo

Check out http://www.nzfishing.com/ - http://www.nzfishing.com/  this site covers the whole country and has the fish and game rules for each location plus access details.

Cheers
Ted

Posted By: zimbo
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 10:40pm
Thanks Ted for the info

Craig

Posted By: LynnM
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 9:31am

Hi all - coming down this weekend to Rotorua.  Can anyone let me know where the best spots are now.  Came down a few weeks ago - before the rains came but as the water levels were soooo low did not catch anything worth taking home.  Got to walk to the Log Pool at Okataine though, that was a real treat.  Don't have a boat so never been there before.  Beautiful place.  Can I still walk around or is that avenue now closed to me?  Would really appreciate any news.  Thanks!! Big smile

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 6:03pm
Check out the fishing report  for Rotorua on this site.  It fairly accurate.  Fish are cruising over the weed beds around most of the lake.  Boyes Beach is fishing well to a UV Smelt or a silver/pearl Ginger mick in size 10 or 12 and a dead slow retrieve.  Keep an eye out for fish cruising in close to the shore chasing smelt.  There are 15 or so fish trying to spawn at the boat ramp at the end of Benn Road though they are quite spooky during the day.  The transformer and cafe pipes on Rotoiti are fishing ok after dark and are reasonably well sheltered from the southerly.  I don't like your chances of walking to the log pool, though if you felt like bush bashing you might get there.  There is a bitterly cold southerly at the moment and there was a dusting of snow on Mount Tarawera this morning.  Minus 1 this morning,

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 6:05pm
Spin fishing the mouth of the Ngongotaha is well worth a shot.  7gram zed spinners or a green or red veltic cast around has been successful.

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 9:28am
Thanks for your information Mudfisherman.  Most helpful.  Being from out of town and only having a few days always good to hear some local knowledge on where the fish are.  Sounds like the frosts have finally arrived so should be a good weekend. 

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 12:42pm
Mudfisherman's info on the Rotorua area is about as good as it gets.

-------------

Posted By: Bushkid2
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 1:00pm
I completely agree Clark. Bert's (aka Mud fisherman) reports fill me with jealousy every time I read them even with my almost weeky trips down that way lately. Thanks Bert and long may you continue to do this. It is really cool to know what is happening even if you do mention my favourite spots a little to much.

Posted By: Bazzman58
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:16am
 Lake Rotorua was as flat as a tack, so flash decision to go for a troll over by Ohau Channel and along by the Airport. Launched at Sulphur Point and ran across to Ohau in the boat. Had Traffic light Tassie on one rod and the cobra version on the other. Trolled the 14-20 ft contours and within 5mins had our first strike. Landed and sent back we put the lines back out, in 5-10 mins we had landed 4 fish and released them all. they were at th 39cm mark but they were all fiesty and very aerial. Was a great afternoon of C&R, out for fun not food. Came back in at 5:30 was what fishin' is all about. Sorry no pics as was having too much fun. 

-------------
We all have one that got away..

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 10:35am

Went out for the first of the new seasons fishing, had to test the licenses to see if they worked.
Started out at Ngongotaha but was worse than the southern m/way on a friday night, so shot over to the Airport and trolled towards Ohau . My mate got the first fish, nice and fat and fiesty.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 10:53am
Man so jealous.  I have never been out fishing at the beginning of the new season as there just seems to be so much to do at that time of the year for me.  Lake looks just wonderful in your pictures.  Glad to hear that the new licenses do actually work this year, will have to come to your part of the world as soon as I can to test mine.  Just have to make some time between work, kids, husband, farm, etc to get there.  Smile

Posted By: hinke729
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 8:16pm
Had a good couple of days for opening weekend.
Friday was very slow and ended up changing lakes from rotoiti to tarawera which resulted in a change of fortune.

12 fish over the two days including a few nice 7 pound rainbows on Rotoiti on saturday. By the whispers ive heard, sounds like we had pretty decent copuple of days fishing.

How did every one else do out there?

Posted By: Outram Nugget
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 11:57am
Had a jig on Rotoiti Sunday, lots of boats moving around and didn't see two many caught.  Managed only two fish, one about 25cm long (released) and a very nice condition jack of 5.5 - 6 lb.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by LynnM LynnM wrote:

Man so jealous.  I have never been out fishing at the beginning of the new season as there just seems to be so much to do at that time of the year for me.  Lake looks just wonderful in your pictures.  Glad to hear that the new licenses do actually work this year, will have to come to your part of the world as soon as I can to test mine.  Just have to make some time between work, kids, husband, farm, etc to get there.  Smile

Be happy to take you for a troll on Rotorua, when you get here. Weather and Trout permitting.

-------------

Posted By: FarmerBrowne
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 7:37pm
Popped out to Lake Tarawera on Saturday.  Its been several years since we've been on this Lake.  Had some friends renting a house on the Lake for the weekend that were keen to get out for a fish.

Tried jigging where I saw sign = 0 fish

Tried deep trolling 20-50 feet with a down rigger = 0 fish

Tried harling with a fly a metre in front of a lure = 7 strikes - 6 fish landed - 4 fish kept 400-450mm long and 2 tidlers returned

2 of the fish caught had tags, one on a returned tidler and one on one of the keepers

All fish caught were on either a traffic light lure or a white harling fly

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 11:40am

Another early morning session on Rotorua, the wind was 5-10 knots from SW so fished Ngongy side. Trolled between the stream mouths using cobras, four colours out in 16-20ft of water.

Landed 5 fish two of which didn't meet the boats minimum (40cm), so they went back, the other 3 weren't so lucky and made the return trip with us. The fish are in great condition, and when filleted are a beautiful salmon colour, and sweet to taste. Crumbed and pan fried with garlic butter..

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 1:00am
Have been fishing the Waiteti stream mouth a bit recently - definitly an improvment in the numbers and condition of fish turning up esp in the eveningsSmile - seems to corelate with the numbers of fishermen as wellCry - doing well on small nymphs esp the likes of the cooper johns - but the takes can be very subtle often not more than a slight dip on the indicator (not even enough to take it under) or a set of rings being released away from it - esp with the stream running so slow.

Posted By: Bigfishbob
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 4:19pm
Is anybody fishing Hamurana yet? Tried it a couple of weeks ago, and got one take after an hour's fishing and that was it.

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 9:38pm
There are quite a few fish in Hamurana Stream at the moment so they must be moving in from the lake.  I saw 4 large browns and a dozen or so rainbows of various sizes there today.  I hope fish Hamurana tomorrow lunchtime so can give you an update.  Unfortunately there has been little sun over the past week or two- sporadic bursts at various times of the day so stalking browns is very challenging.  The decent rain that we had last night caused many rainbows and more than few browns to enter the Ngongotaha overnight.  The few anglers that I managed to chat with all had a ball today.  Very good conditioned fish so they say as well.

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 9:51pm
Didn't manage to fish Hamurana today.  The wind was from the South-East and was quite strong.  There were small white caps on the lake , especially on the Eastern side of the lake.  There were more fish up the stream thoug so it would be worth fishing outside the mouth after dark.  We did have a cloudless day today which could have brought fish into the shallows.
The Waiteti mouth fished well, with several decent brown trout caught during the day.  The Ngongotaha Stream fished well throughout its length, and many brown trout were hooked (some were landed as well) during the day.  The lower end of this stream is holding some very large browns.  The wind has since faded away but probably will return tomorrow midmorning.

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2010 at 3:15am

There was some good fishing in the Waiteti yesterday esp mid to late morning.. Its a pity at least one of those big browns taken was deliberatly fowl hooked off the foot bridge along with quite a few other fish that were schooled downstream of the bridge... also saw some "non english" speaking tourist fishing with sabiki rigs - 6 flies at a time - very convenient that they couldnt understand when it was explained to them they had to lose a few hooks!    Have a feeling it will be the same if not worse today (sat) with all the kids off school.. Its a pity the fishing can be tainted by just a few - most of the locals on the streams in this area are fantastic.

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 10:42pm
took some nephews & niece on Rotoiti today for a swim & a fish.

plenty good fat trout taken jigging around 20 m depth

most productive fly was a silicon smelt

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 8:05am
Back out on Rotoiti with the kids again yesterday. 

Bit of a stiff westerly. 

Plenty fish on the sounder especially at 20 metres. 

Kids caught plenty but this time they were only taking small white flies and were not interested in the silicon smelt flies.

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 4:17pm

Two and a half hours on Rotorua trolling, 5 nice sweet trout, smallest was 42cm. All caught off Ngongotaha Stream mouth .....Great afternoons fun.

Dad at 78 caught his first ever trout, over for two weeks holiday so took him for his first trout mish, a great success.....

-------------

Posted By: LEFTY.
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 12:16pm
Been on tarawera yesterday good day jigging fish in the 30m mark caught fish all aroung lake best area stump bay best fish 6pound odd all fish in great condition is the fishing better on tarawera this year condition factor and size ?Clap

Posted By: Yoti
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 8:24pm
Had a day out on Lake Rotoiti today landed a nice lot of fish all caught trolling fish are spread out ,  tried jigging for awhile but no result

Date Posted: 08 May 2011 at 7:37pm
Two of us had an afternoon out on Lake Rotoiti trolling landed 6 fish for 3 1/2 hrs on the water

Date Posted: 08 May 2011 at 8:05pm
Yoti,What depth were you in?See a gap in the weather Tuesday.Thinking seriously about having a crack!!

-------------

Date Posted: 08 May 2011 at 8:13pm
using 10 colours lead line in 20 metres water

Date Posted: 08 May 2011 at 8:41pm
Cheers for that.Think temp still about 15.5 degrees.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2011 at 8:07pm
Fished Rotoiti again today, trolling  4 &1/2 hrs this afternoon 2 of us landed 4 fish

Posted By: Sick of Sinkers
Date Posted: 17 May 2011 at 10:22am
Got out to tarawera for a couple of hours yesterday arvo,excluding the two fly's i had to remove from my headCensored(bloody wind gusts)
I managed a slaby 4 pounder on a smelt fly and a plump 8.5 pound hen in mint nick on a nymph dropper.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 2:38pm
Fished 2 days over long weekend on Lake Rotoiti, would have to call our efforts  boat fishing on the lake hard, we landed 1 fish only. Had our licences checked by Fish and Game they described the fishing in a similar manner

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 4:10pm
Totally agree with you!!

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 1:53pm
Lake Rotoiti as per date on photo
30 metres depth
small flies and silicon smelts
next 4 weeks until xmas should be good jigging

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 4:41pm
Good catch right there

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 10:30am
Been on tarawera last 4 days until rain moved us on fishing epic fish avg 6 pound best 8 pound. Fish in great nick  bring on may and june .Clap

Posted By: strx7
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 7:13pm
father inlaw and i fished tarawera 27/28/29  managed 1 fish about 3lbs.  jigged and trolled, had 6 or 7 other hits that didn't stick, talked to a couple of guys who managed 2 fish and 1 other who managed 1, everyone was saying how hard the fishing was.  you were obviously doing something different to everyone else to manage that.

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 10:27am

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 10:38am
Yeah had same response from fish and game i only jig and in under 20m off water and around the weed edges.Don't be afraid to ask any questions keen to share info.Fish in best nick in yearsWink

Posted By: Mr.Dundee
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 11:20am
Thats a cracker!Thumbs Up

Posted By: Nebuchadnezzar
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 8:32pm
Great to see Tarawera making a come back!

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 12:02pm
Furunos rule! Caught 70 fish in 6 hours from this one spot, 200 over 5 days. The problem with so many fish around
is you nearly always get double or triple hookups. We lost hundreds of dollars worth of tackle.

Posted By: Crunch
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 1:41pm
Was that on tarawera nebuchadnezzer and what flies were you using?

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by FarmerBrowne FarmerBrowne wrote:

Lake Rotoiti as per date on photo
30 metres depth
small flies and silicon smelts
next 4 weeks until xmas should be good jigging

Nice bin of snapper bait there Ron, sorry couldn't resist.LOL

Hey you're a gamefisher, sew a 12/0 into it a troll it for a marlinClap

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 10:39pm
Nah Rotoiti.  Pearl Grey G #6-10 and pearl mallard smelt.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 9:23pm
I like those numbers !

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 7:38am
Been awhile since a report.
 Two of us spent most of thursday trolling on Lake Rotoiti, showing a friend from the south island the lake   9 am to 4 pm
 Brought 7 fish home and 3 returned, the morning fish caught in 6 metres of water later in the day in 20 metres, fished the eastern end of the lake and fish seem to be well spread out. Tried jigging for a while for nil result. Had a nice day but the breeze was a little cool

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 1:16pm
Lake Okataina early last week in the rain 4.66kg  (10 1/4 lb)
on my digital scales 4.61kg on fishing club scales the next afternoon

Posted By: Uncle
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 1:22pm
Nice one Yoti~~that's a good solid fishClap

Posted By: Mr.Dundee
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 1:58pm
Beauty YotiClap

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 8:00am
Beauty fish there Yoti, will be good again today and tommorrow im picking at the winter shoreline areas around Rotorua

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 8:50pm
Had to go for a fishing fix last weekend, 2 of us went out on Lake Rotoehu saturday afternoon 4 hrs on the water 6 fish to the boat kept 3, condition of them not that great, recovering spawners, 2 recovering fish should have been put back in hindsight, the cat doesn't mind and one maiden fish,in good condition and worth eating.  Difficult to tell how good they are until opened up for cleaning.Trolled around edges of weed beds 

Posted By: Nate 76
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 1:14pm
Any updates on how things have been going since opening?  Any thoughts on the best place to try for the coming long weekend.  Pretty new a fly fishing, however loving it, so any ideas, tips, spots to try is very much appreciated!

Posted By: Norseman
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 5:19pm
Yoti, that's one heck of a fish.

Posted By: pcgun
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 11:36pm
good cacth.. good fisher.. like to learn more fishing this trout LOL LOL

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 10:56am
took a couple of nephews out yesterday, fishing was pretty slow but they managed to jig one each in 25-30 metre depth. Small flies.  Fish were in lighter condition than usual for this time of the year.

Posted By: DezzyTooToo
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 11:21pm
another late arvo assult on Tarawera today , left the boat at home and land based at rangiruri(?) bay as per usual . There`s been some nice ones around , something about warm days and lots of boats wizzing around !

...69.5 cm  was the best one .

-------------
I love cats ......... I just can`t eat a whole one .

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 7:13am
Nice, Rotorua stream mouths are starting to fire too.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 11:48am
Yeah Clark , I heard and seen that the streram mouths are doing well , warm lake and cold water out of the streams = fish spa !!
The missuss and me boy like smoked trout so I go to Tarawera and Okitaina for my food source ...

-------------

Posted By: BFIST
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 3:35pm
That's a nice fish. I'll have to head out there for a fish. I haven't fished Tarawera before. Is it easy enough flyfishing there or is it more suited to spinning?

I went out to Awahou today and it was dead, no one was catching anything and there were a few people there. I had a couple of browns swim up to me but that was it.

I then headed out to the Ngongataha mouth and there were plenty of browns there but again it was hard to get any action. I managed to pick up this nice one on a Woolly Bugger just before I left which I let go.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 4:35pm
Looks like your on to it BFIST !
Yes Tarawera is fly fishable from the shore but limited area in relation to the size of the lake .
It will not be as productive as Rotorua and certainly there will be no big browns Big smile !!

Next time I go I will you know .

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 4:39pm
Oh .... and you`ll need a sink tip or intermediate line .

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 11:03pm
A few more rainbows at Awahou this evening on the smelt flies. Kept two of them that were about 4 pounds for smoking.

When filleting them I found one of them had a tag in it. Do I just call up fish and game and let them know the details?

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 7:02am
Download the tagged trout form here http://eastern.fishandgame.org.nz/sites/default/files/Tagtroutmaster.doc" rel="nofollow - http://eastern.fishandgame.org.nz/sites/default/files/Tagtroutmaster.doc   and get it to Fish and Game, you will go in the draw for a free license for next season.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by DezzyTooToo DezzyTooToo wrote:

It will not be as productive as Rotorua .........

Next time I go I will you know ........

LOLLOLLOL..........jeeeeeez what a lier he is !!!

sorry BFIST ...... but I snuck out late this arvo back on Tarawera at Rangirui bay {shore fishing } at 6:30 for a one and half hour fish Big smile
 the biggest went 62cm

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2013 at 9:37am
Nice haul Dezzy.

There's always next time for me.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 4:10pm
I went up to Awahou with a mate who was visiting for the day, he wasn't interested in fishing but was quite keen to take his camera and take a few shots and videos.

I managed to pick up this nice brown on the edge of the warm and cold water while there was no one else in the water.

After that I moved right into the cold water and picked up a small rainbow and dropped another small one.

Overall the fishing is still quite slow up there still and none of the other guys were getting much either.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 8:11pm
Nice work Brett!

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 6:33pm
I got my letter back from F&G about my tagged trout. It was released into the lake on 17/09/10 and was 180mm.

The trout had grown to 525mm since it's release, not sure how this is in terms of growth for three years.

On another note, can anyone tell me what the fishing is like on the upper Ngongotaha? Would this be a good spot to try some dry fly fishing over summer with cicada's?

Posted By: Tonyg26
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 10:18pm
hey Brett, an update on how i'm going with the trout hunt, so i have purchased a fly rod/reel, have only been out once since my lesson with you, had no luck but neither did the other 7 guys there so didn't feel so bad,
i have brought my boat over today and im heading out tarawera on thursday after work with a work mate, im going to try some jigging, i have spend the last hour rigging up some traces, i brought one of the pat swife or something  rigs and have copied that a few times, im in rotorua Tues, wed, thurs,
let me know if your keen on a boat trip next week, 

cheers Tony

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 9:25pm
Hey Tony

A trip out in the boat next week would be awesome. Have you got a preference for which day?

Good luck tomorrow.

Posted By: Tonyg26
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 9:52pm
Tuesdays or Thursdays would suit better for me as I have clay shooting Wednesday nights.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 9:21pm
Fished  two evenings at Hamurana this week caught fish both outings

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 9:59pm
Nice fish

-------------

Posted By: bryce_s
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 3:17pm
Anyone know how the Rotorua stream mouths are doing?
Thinking about heading to one of the stream mouths or up the ngongotaha after dark.
Went to Te Wairoa last night (till 1130pm).  Was very quiet, lots or koura hitting the line, almost every cast.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 4:34pm
I haven't been to the stream mouths for a while but the last couple of times I've been to the Utuhina or Ngongotaha streams recently there have been plenty of fish around. I've only fished during the day though.

Posted By: bryce_s
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 11:07pm
Went ngonataha for 2 1/2hrs, lost 1 fish and had heaps of strikes from mussels (managed to catch and release 1/2 dozen - mussels that is).  Very quiet but nice night.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 8:07pm
I went for a quick fish on the Ngongataha this afternoon for a couple of hours just up past the hatchery. I'm moving up to Auckland to start my new job on Monday so thought I'd try and get in one last fish before I go.

I managed to get a nice brown and a couple of rainbows too. The brown was the hardest fighting trout I've caught. It dug in deep in the pool for a while and then decided to head off downstream and I had to chase.

I also found out it is very hard to take fishing selfies.

Print Page | Close Window