Forum Name: Yak Yak Yak
Forum Description: The forum for Kayak enthusiasts
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38440
Printed Date: 17 Apr 2024 at 8:23am

Topic: CANTERBURY KAYAK FISHING CLUB
Posted By: onthefly
Subject: CANTERBURY KAYAK FISHING CLUB
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 4:04pm
Canterbury yakkers met on thursday evening at "Paddler Zone" and voted to formalise the group into an official club. We are keen to welcome new members on board and liaise with other clubs. Watch this site.

Replies:
Posted By: grimace
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 4:45pm
How about a link to our wee website?

http://canterburykayakfishingclub.weebly.com/ - http://canterburykayakfishingclub.weebly.com/

-------------
Cobra Fish and Dive - Sjørøver II
ZMU7181

Posted By: yakkaman
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 4:54pm
Just updated our website and gave it a good clean up somethings i can not change as they are the only photo's i have at this stage.
I registered new phrases to link us to google searches

Give it ten minutes and everything should be published through the weebly server.

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 7:44am
i went to the CFFC lastnight as guest of Onthefly a fantastic night of club speakers, presentations were assisted on a projecter with huge screen a fly tying demo, guide explaining most common mistakes when presenting to fish and much more.

A WELL ORGANISED AGENDA AND RECKONMEND ATTENDANCE

CLARK REID NEXT MONTH

THX CFFC

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 3:46pm
A reminder about surf practice on sunday. would all interested parties contact me by saturday, ( I will be home cleaning house) to arrange final time and meeting place. tides are favourable to fish either before or after depending on consensus.

Date Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 4:37pm
Four members of The club enjoyed playing in the surf at Sumner on a warm and beautiful day. Swapping kayaks and practicing surfing,landing and launches we all learned a great deal about our and our kayaks capability in surf situations. Whats more it was bloody good exercise and fun. Three retired to Scarboro Fair for coffee and cakes afterward.

Posted By: Goobie
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 8:12pm
Yes it was fun. When landing it's definitely a case of 'the faster you go the bigger the mess'. I'm thinking if I was loaded up with fishing gear I'd be better off paddling in backwards.. to see the waves coming better, make sure I'm facing waves straight on, and easily move forward into the waves if they're big and about to break on the kayak.

Posted By: swell geeza
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 9:26pm
yeah, just like to thank the three of you for a good paddle in the surf   it was a laugh eh, never really thought of paddling in backwards though,but will definitley give it a go next time out

Posted By: Naki man
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 10:17pm
Another way with big waves, is to jump out and lie on the back of your yak with your legs hanging out the back as a rudder - works well

-------------
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 7:40pm
Jumping on the back would be the only wa i could safely get in without being rolled and turtled  why do you thik i didn't want to practice LOL

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Posted By: tobe yak
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 7:06pm

Im going up to Kaikoura for the weekend i have something on Fridayand Saturday night.

Anyone intersted in a fish and or a dive let me know. Sea is easing Saturday morning high tide around 9.00 am.
Southwest swell is easing, im thinking of trying the north side south bay it should be sheltered from the swell if it hasn't eased

-------------
Gold fish gatherer.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 7:23pm
Hi Toby, the wife said you rang. I had a look at swellmap for saturday morning and for just north of Kaikoura it's predicting up to 4m waves and 2m swells, I'll give it a miss this time. Might be going to Wainui with the family on saturday, so may take the kayak and fish somewhere in Akaroa harbour.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 8:49pm
someone is just a big girls blouse, but no names eh? I will be heading off to Moana friday for a wknd with the flyfishing club. I plan to target some small lakes in the yak. Good luck everyone

Posted By: ThomasW
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 10:22pm
Kaikoura fished well for me last weekend.... Caught 5 or so blue cod in about 30 minutes once I discovered their reef system. When I was not fishing the 'reef' it was very slow. If I was serious about fishing I probably would of gotten my limit.

Swell is to large for me to travel down there this weekend. If it drops to below a meter I would reconsider it.

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 5:42pm

Come on lads its not that bad. 10 knots Saturday swell is easing, i've gotta go anyway so i'll let ya know next week how it went.

I can almost taste the blue Cod now, but i'll save the boasting till i get back(something about counting your chickens until they.... awe i forget how it goes now)
Enjoy ya fires n wollie rugs.

-------------
Gold fish gatherer.

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 9:12pm
I'm playing it by ear her indoors wants a few things done round home might get a break for one day.

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Posted By: kj
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 9:37pm
Hi all, work on the constitution is well under way- been delayed by the arrival of another little yak fisho  a week ago. I'm gearing the constitution to get it "incorporation" ready so there's nothing to do should we decide to go down that road.... incorporation costs $100 but will cover all members and exec. officers against being sued should the organization stuff up and get sued or go bust or something... like registering a limited liability company effectively. Highly recommended but an additional cost. Anyhow the constitution will be compliant with company office rules once done so it is easy enough to do. So ????? time:

Name of Club: Canterbury Kayak fishing club or Canterbury Kayak fishing Association or Olly and the lost boys or whatever.... feed back please!

Objectives: We need to specify the intent of the club, My thinking is:
* To promote safe, responsible and enjoyable participation in the sport of kayak fishing
* to provide fellowship for kayakfishers
* to promote sharing of ideas and techniques amongst Kayak fishers
* to coordinate and promote sanctioned kayak fishing trips and competitions.
* to foster networks to facilitate regular social trips.

Once again your thoughts.

Onto the Executive body:
My thinking is titled officers + 2 exec members "at large"- again your thoughts.

Cheers for the time you will take in responding to all this....

Posted By: gollyfish
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 10:16pm
looks good kj "ollie and the try hards" sounds better thoughLOL
on another note i had a chat with a work mate and she went fer a cruse out to the mussel farms at port levi the weekend , while they were there they decided to drop a line as there were loads of fish showing on the sounder, they caught 3 moki and some other bits and bobs on very small hooks with mussel, apparently the water was filthy, and im wondering wether moki may feed confidently during the day when the waters dirty? . not many people seem to fish the farms over that way,ive often wondered if kingies could be an option too. the farms round at pidgion bay are easily accessed from little p bay no more than 10 mins paddle Ermm food for thaught me thinkses 

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2009 at 7:33am

Congrats Thumbs%20Up on the new arrival Kj and well done with Constitution looking gooood we can organise agenda for next meeting and your info will be on it.

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2009 at 12:39pm

sorry kj. missed the first bitEmbarrassed!!!! many congratsClap on the new addition.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2009 at 2:18pm
Launched at Sumner with Fancyfoot and decided we would paddle around to Taylors, i picked up fish on the finder all the way at several locations but nothing taking i even tried salted bonito thinking must have been mullet.
Spinnining, trolling, SWFlies and even sp's readings ranged from sea floor 10m, 9m, 5.5m, 2m and surface
I am wondering weather it was moki and the odd ky?

really weird that even bait didn't work mind you water wasn't that clean and a bit choppy!

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2009 at 5:54pm
Looks like i am going to move to the nth Island and become a commercial yak fisherman.

You won't believe it bloody redundant again

Why do people employ staff when thye know that they are not financial call yourself Companies useless F**KRS ruin people's lives you can all s**k my ....

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2009 at 6:54pm
Sorry to hear that yakka man, that does suck, big time..........
I didn't do much better at kaikoura the sea was unsettled, so i was limited to hidding insie the Peninsular 1 x octupus 1x Perch 1x Blue cod 1x Wrasse all to small and released.
I went snorkeling with another guy with no visibiliy and he managed 2 crays, pua and the biggest kinas i have ever seen.
Given the poor success rate lately im off charter fishing at Motanau next Monday.

-------------
Gold fish gatherer.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 3:57pm
I was over at Moana for the wknd and paddled Lady Lake in mirror calm conditions. I spotted one slabby trout in a creek mouth and saw 3 decent fish rise. Never touched a thing in over three hours and trying various methods. Nevertheless, I would give it another go when fish are more active. The risers were estimated at 3-4lb each. Congratulations Kelvin, on the new addition. Now you have that out of your system you may be able to concentrate on more fishing.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 8:09pm
I wish... between changing nappies and putting in huge hours at the moment, well I have time for um, very little really. But the good news is I'm getting a leave pass this weekend, bad news is the weathers crap (in the forecast) so I'll probably end up working through. In Auckland next week then hopefully another chance at wetting a line- f'n hate this recession.

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 12:36pm
im gonna give the mussel farms(pidgion bay) a go this weekend( friday- sunday). swellmap looks promising for the north side of penninsular, failing that the water temp at heron should be falling!

Posted By: MikeAqua
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 2:42pm
Hi guys, congrats on forming the club. 

Gollyfish, I noticed your mention of kingies around mussel farms in one of your posts. 

In the sounds I have seen some massive kingies hanging around the end floats on the mussel lines.  They don't seem to be feeding, just hanging out under the farm and can't be tempted out.  Despite repeated attempts from a boat with all sorts of methods. I have never gotten one to take a bait, lure or livey.

If anyone has success from a kayak I would be keen to hear how.

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 7:27pm
Ollie old chap-- there's a better mussel farm option further out on the peninsula and it's closer to cleaner water too- oh and because I'm a lazy bugger it's literally a 5 minute paddle from the launch point-  It would be worth scoping and I may bee keen. The Mussel farms at PB are a bloody long paddle!

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 8:25pm
kj young man , as i did point out in a previous post, i'm wondering if perhapse dirty water may actually be an advantage when you are targeting a species known for it's rather inconvinent habit of feeding mostly at night, such as our old friend the blue moki. i stand to be corrected in this theary but it goes something like this.... becouse i would like to fish during the convinent hours of daylight and the moki feed at night, im surmising that below the surface, dirty water, may give the fish in question the impression that....
 a.its still dark or
b. that it's not quite as light as it usually is during the hours of daylight
either of the above may, be enough to spurr on a veritable feeding frenzie i hope! however it has to be mentiond that....
c. some fish do not like dirty water.
which of coarse means i wont catch any!
of coares i am backing up said theary, with a little information i was happy to glean from a work colligue , as you will have read in my previous post, im sure!.
allso the farms in question are not a "bloody long paddle" if you use one of a kayaks secret wepons........ its abillity to be launched just about anywhere! such as, the nice beach at  little pidgion bay as opposed to pidgion bay itself , from there it is only a 5/10 minute paddle. 
anyhow i'm willing to try your mussel farm too, as it  sounds like it may be better than mine!Wink      

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 8:28pm
just kidding old chapLOL, im going over to Lpb tomorow ur welcome to tagg allong if you want, if not, i can do something on sundayThumbs%20Up

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 8:41pm
yeah well had'nt though of LPB as a launch-those cliffs are a bugger when you can't use the beach. I may be in for Sunday. Anyhow Menzies bay is the spot you can park your car 100 metres from the mussel farm there and it sees bugger all pressure so if you're keen we could go for a look. I was thinking of Menzies as a night venue some time as it's got a boat ramp, is pretty sheltered and such a short paddle.

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 8:44pm
mikeaqua, yeah, down here, their gennerally found swimming round floating clumps of weed apparently "not feeding", im reliably told these fish are caught on either a grim reaper cast and cranked at extra super high speed or with a popper lure, however i cant speak from experience as ive never even seen one yet!

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 10:19am
I have tried poppers without success, will have a crack with a reaper next time. Of course I still haven't figured out how I would stop a large kingi from heading straight into the mussel droppers but I'll burn that bridge when I come to it!

I know a mussel farmer who sits on the end float with a spear gun and waits, but that hardly seems sporting.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 4:56pm

I could be keen for Pigeon bay on Sunday, although I see at this stage there's a predicted southwesterly of around 30 knots for that area, any comments on how safe it would be in that wind?

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 5:44pm
Harden up Goobie, Ollie is going out there today to sus things out.

I have an inerview on Tuesday and have had 2 other phon calls to see if the salary was in the right bracket group for me
Dumb if your unemployed i'd take anything except bloody Smiths C...y ROBBERS.

I PM'd Clark Reid today and he is coming to ChCh at the CFFC will be a discussion on Salt water fly fishing as well see Onthefly for details.

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 6:08pm

People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 7:22pm
Doug- sounds like a good meeting, I'm planning on fly fishing the salt more often so should be cool to here "da man" speak. I'm going to get some flycasting practice in on the mid rakaia tomorrow by the gunclub I guess, strong southerlies and 14 degrees means Sunday will be spent on the couch or banking brownie points for me.

Posted By: goosebayhunter
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 7:55pm
sorry boys i broke a bone in my foot sorry ill be off kayak for a few weeks a few of my mates caught so salmon so you guys should be trolling down the wamak

-------------
globe warming,higher sea levels,more fishing spots
BRING IT ON

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2009 at 11:11am
i don't have a glasshouse LOL  you are awful but i like you.
A good frind of mine is going to tie a few SWF flies for me.
Maybe it's time for me to start this hobbie up for winter.

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 9:02pm
Hi Ollie. Did you get out to the mussel farm? If so how did you do?

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 12:45pm
Banks peninsula is looking like it will be kayakable on Saturday, especially around midday. I'm considering doing either southern or eastern banks peninsula if it stays that way (and the wife doesn't object).
Does anyone know if you can launch at Otanerito bay or somewhere close? Judging by the LINZ maps I'd say it'd be worth a visit.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2009 at 1:42pm

Anyone keen for a kayak fish on Sunday? I've got the afternoon free and will probably go to either Motunau or eastern banks peninsula.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2009 at 5:10pm
Dean, Wazza,Shaun aand i are heading to Lake Pearson for the night and back late tomorrow afternoon.

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2009 at 12:53pm
A great night of fishing we drank,drank played some tunes talked some crap and drank some more.

Oh yeah one rainbow and two eels caught as we stumbled around or should i say staggered around between Wazza falling ove everything like twiggs i think he a balance problem LOL

Nothing caught next day but a great time had by all.

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2009 at 9:42pm
I ended up fishing at Little Pigeon bay today, thought I'd pick somewhere relatively calm as I was fishing alone. However it cant've been calm enough for someone who had been eating pancakes & cream for brunch - I puked these up, had to head back into the bay to recover, by that point I'd only caught some small red cod.
I anchored among some big masses of seaweed and caught 6 wrasse, some were pretty big. Didn't check out the mussel farm in Pigeon bay.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2009 at 10:25am
Hey Chucky i know what you mean i ate fish n chips before i went out with fancyfoot  a couple weeks back felt queezy for quite awhile.

Kayak meeting this Thursday 6pm at Paddlerzone.

All commitee members imput required to granville for agenda.

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2009 at 1:54pm
ummm! im thinking of heading up to the sounds as i've a long weekend this weekend, with  swells not too flash down here though wind looks great! i recon i'l leave thursday morning and come back sunday or monday.
anyone know any spots for snapper or kingies up there? milli?
i might not make the meeting so please accept my appoligies! in advance!

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2009 at 9:15am
A big bonvoyage this Saturday for Waz, one of our club members some new members will not have met him everyone is invited to a barbie and alot of drinks starts around 3pm for those that have kiddies get a late pass.

Also a good way to catch up and plan some fishing before winter kicks in.

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2009 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by gollyfish gollyfish wrote:

ummm! im thinking of heading up to the sounds as i've a long weekend this weekend, with  swells not too flash down here though wind looks great! i recon i'l leave thursday morning and come back sunday or monday.
anyone know any spots for snapper or kingies up there? milli?

i might not make the meeting so please accept my appoligies! in advance!

The shallows of the QC sounds have been fishing quite well for Snapper and trevally in the evenings. Got a couple even at low tide the other day. Have not really been chasing Kingfish.

If I was you I would probably head over to Okiwi Bay or even French Pass Thursday/Friday (The weather looks great everywhere). Avoid the pass itself but consider heading over to the smaller Islands just off D'urville. I saw a kingfish there this time last year, the coutas were also in plague proportions.

Saturday afternoon the nor-wester is going to arrive (it looks to be relatively weak so should not be that bad) which would probably make Tasman bay a bit choppy. Should be able to find relatively sheltered waters around Elaine Bay or Tennyson Inlet. Or head over to Mahau (been told kingfish are quite common around the Kenepuru heads), Grove Arm or even Port Underwood which could still be holding kingfish, saw a massive KY work up near there the other day.

From my experience the Mahau is fishable during a norwester, just need to find shelter on the far side. The main Kenpuru sound can become quite rough but its always possible to find isolated sheltered areas. If you have a fish finder it is possible to find a few deep holes on the northern side of the Mahau which snapper often hold up in. There is a nice long one which starts near the heads and a smaller one opposite a point about halfway down the sound.

edit: The holes are easily visible on the free LINZ maps.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2009 at 7:23pm
Oppologies for tomorrow, wifie working, im on baby sitting duties.

-------------
Gold fish gatherer.

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2009 at 9:31am
Hi Gollyfish,

The first mussel farm on the right as you enter Kenepuru Sound fishes well for me.  I normally fish just inside the farm.  I have caught snapper, kahawai and gurnard there, also quite often mackerel around, which can be fun on light tackle.

I have had suceess mostly at slack water especially around dusk.

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2009 at 7:48pm
Would be quite a distance to paddle back to the car after dark from that mussel farm.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 10:51am
thanks guys im weighing up options at the moment as the ol ball n chain is unwell with a tooth absiss! though im not sure weather that should make any difference!

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 1:59pm
hi milli im comming up have you got a contact number? i'll need a tip or 2!

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 3:34pm
thanks milli, ill text you tomorrow. ollie.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2009 at 3:40pm
hey boys anybody keen for a fish on sat or sunday trying to catch brownys on the kayaks in the kaiapoi river or go down to the mouth of the mak and spin for salmon or kahwi im gonna be trying something new for trout im gonna jig never done much of it so lets c how it goes anybody keen give me a text 0211802587

-------------
BRING IT ON

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2009 at 5:12pm
I'm planning on heading out to the Waimak tomorrow morning to try for a salmon on my kayak. Probably just anchor up at Macintoshes and see whats happening. If you see me out there come say hi.

-------------
ZMU7181

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2009 at 9:40pm
Sorry Chris cant make it ,but good luck mate

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2009 at 7:38pm
hey chris what did u get fishing the waimak i went up the streams on foot and ended up with a nice 5.4 pound browne and i got a few ass i fell in the river ahahahah im going out to the waimak mouth before the breackers to try get some big kawhi tomorrow anybody keen?

-------------
BRING IT ON

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2009 at 7:56pm
Caught nothing. Neither did anyone else while I was there. By the streams do you mean where the three rivers/creeks/streams come together by Mill road? I went and had a look up around there after I got sick of having a wet bum and dead legs.

-------------
ZMU7181

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2009 at 8:13pm
Completely ****** myself paddling across the Kenepuru sound into a norwester to catch up with gollyfish today. The wind blew me back home which made the trip a bit easier but paddling in a chasing sea is always unnerving. Heard he got the odd Snapper after I left fishing from the shore.

A 10.6km paddle all up, 80% of which would be into a head or cross wind.

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2009 at 8:18pm
yea but the three steams but up silver stream they jst took most of the weed out great for spinning also seen 3 salmon and abt 20 trout abt 150 heerings lol and useing the rapala xrap in the white is wicked for trout up there.

-------------
BRING IT ON

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2009 at 8:22pm
Cheers. Silver stream is the middle one of the three?

-------------
ZMU7181

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 7:29am
nope the one closest to the highway

-------------
BRING IT ON

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 3:35pm
Hey Ollie or Milli how about a fishing report, i here good things, how about some pics. Dont be shy.

-------------
Gold fish gatherer.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 4:57pm
Ollie caught all of the fish, the day I visited him we blanked.

I basically paddled across the Kenepuru sound and we fished around Clarrk Island for a few hours catching next to nothing. We then went back to his bach for lunch and by that time it was 5pm so I decided to head for home while ollie went surfcasting near the Island I believe, according to his txt messages he caught a couple of snapper around dusk.

He had a good day out of Okiwi Bay but I would let him tell the story.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 7:47pm
Hi Milli cheers for that, you need to clear you Private Messages as my last wouldnt go thru.

-------------
Gold fish gatherer.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 10:10pm
Have to clean away my precious archived private messages

edit: I have made a bit of room :)

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 8:09pm
anybody wAnna come up to kaikora after easter ill b there for 2 weeks jst gives a texted or a ring on 0211802587,

-------------
BRING IT ON

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 8:18am
Deano and onthefly are heading out to sumneer over the weekend burleying up Chris is joining me down in Twizel

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 11:02am
Hi Tom.

I will try to arrange something. let you know later. have gud easter

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 7:41pm
I heard that soft baits trawled like spinning lures are catchng Salmon, Anyone know what flavour is working. might have a crack up the Kaiapoi River.

-------------
Gold fish gatherer.

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2009 at 2:53pm
ok i finally got on the pc.!!!!! sorry for the wait folks, it goes like this............... on thursday night i drove all the way up to okiwi bay and slept in the car despite all the signs saying "no sleeping in the car", boll*cks to them, i'll sleep where i like!
friday i was up at the "crack of dawn" , as i set up on the beach i had a chat with a nice old fellow who gave me the old heads up on a couple of his fishing spots. so taking his advice off i paddled into a light nor west. at the first spot i drifted round and got a small snappr (my first ever)which i returned, so i stuck the anchor down and burleyd up,got a pannie , though as i was bring it in a school of kingies tore past, so i stuck the snapper between my legs still kickin and chucked out my lure rod!!  as soon as it hit the water sometheig smashed it and ran, it had me fooled for a moment before i realised it was a cuda!!!! gutted! it did come in handy though.
after that  i started missing loads of bites and caught 2 conger eels wich left me feeling slightly frustrated!!, time for a different spot round the corner to the mussel farm, this is where my fortunes really changed, first i was getting lots of bites then i discovered snapper love cuda, and cuda dosnt fall off the hook the moment a fish looks at it!Thumbs%20Up
i ended up with 10 snapper and a blue cod in the bag ,.sweet
the next day i met with milli but we struggled in kenapuru sound though i did eventually get one on the surf caster after dark, . on my way home i stopped at a beach just north of kaikora an caught a very large red cod . picks comming soon!    

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2009 at 4:41pm
Top work Ollie. Back from Twizel this arvo. Nothing from the yak for me, but I managed a couple of wee salmon from the canals, which is better than normal.

Anyone keen for a mission to Kaikoura sometime this week? Wednesday or Friday looking good on swellmap.

-------------
ZMU7181

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2009 at 5:24pm
gollyfish, I checked out your spot in Okiwi bay today. Caught zero snapper

By mid-afternoon the sea become rough so I had to retreat back to the shelter of the bay. It would have been a long way to paddle in the dark.

On annual leave at the moment so probably could head down to Kaikoura on Friday for a fish.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 10:47pm
Smilehello, Militaris,  swellgeeza here, i`ve recently hooked up with canterbury yakers,  fishing out of a prowler 13, would be keen for kaikoura on Friday, weather permitting

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 8:00am
I am keen for kaikoura as well, car pool time?

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 9:46am
Sounds good to me Doug. Trailer would be good if we can get our hands on one.

-------------
ZMU7181

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 12:28pm
book it at Paddlerzone carries 6 kayaks

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 7:09pm
Anyone want ot go fishing Sunday anywhere.

-------------
Gold fish gatherer.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2009 at 5:02pm
Sorry guys another committment so i can't make it contact Matt to make arrangements now.

Best of luck up there!!!

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2009 at 5:49pm
Forecast is looking good for tomorrow. There is a little chop but doubt it would be noticeable. Unless I hear other plans I would aim to be opposite to the Seaview restaurant around 8:30am, which is the spot which we launched from last winter. Fishing should be much better this time due to the warmer water temperature.

I doubt the sea breeze would be a problem at this time of year.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2009 at 6:06pm
ok guys i cant make it on friday ( kids too look after) however im looking at going over to te oka on satarday ( swell and wind look gr8), and lake heron on sunday if anyones keen on either? i'm on a bit of a roll with my fishin this year so i am expecting truly fantastic bags of huge  fish this weekendHug

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2009 at 7:07pm
Outstanding optimism, im dead keen on Te Oka any chance of doin Te oka Sunday. Baby sittin on Saterday.

-------------
Gold fish gatherer.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2009 at 9:06pm
i'd be keen tobe, but the swell is perfect on satardayThumbs%20Up,and becoming uncomfortable on sundayDead the wind is gonna be light all weekend though so i recon heron could be a good bet on sunday

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2009 at 10:43pm
I was talking to golly earlier and Saterday swell is best late morning high.

Check these sites for yak fishing clubs up Nth
http://www.northlandkayak.org.nz/ - http://www.northlandkayak.org.nz/   Yakfisher (Karl) very sharp

http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/ - http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/  

Scroll down towards middle of page under Club forums and you will find Canterbury there,
they obviously set it up

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Posted By: [email protected]
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2009 at 10:58pm
Hi guys!

I'm Mental from kayakfishingnz.com, yep I did set up some space for you discuss local get togethers etc and I can set up a forum for the club too if you wish (see other clubs at the bottom of the fourms), otherwise of course you are all welcome at anytime to join the other 250+ memebers we now have discusssing nothing but kayak fishing :)

Cheers, Mental

-------------
http://www.kayakfishing.nz/forum/" rel="nofollow - www.KayakFishing.NZ

Kayak Fishing - It's Catching!

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 7:06pm
Just gotten back from Kaikoura, Myself, Grimace, Goosebayhunter and swell geeza meet up at 10am. We first tried a spot slightly north of Goosebay but the sea was a bit rough and the wind got up so we retreated back to shore.

Next we tried the calmer waters of South Bay, not much was happening in close, so I decided to try the deeper reef and caught a bunch of small fish so went back and got the others... Fishig was still slow, but eventually a handful of Blue Cod was caught, I lost a nice Gurnard at the side of the Yak and GBH managed to land one. A few couta were also caught.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2009 at 7:23am
For the record, it was Swellgeeza (Matt) with the gurnard that got the donk on its head. Two cod for GBH (and a massive couta that dragged him around like a shark) and one for me. Which ranks as a successful trip compared to my usual efforts.

-------------
ZMU7181

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2009 at 4:42pm
oh ok...

Been thinking about South Bay and the Gurnards... Could be worthwhile to head out there and anchor up and drop several berley bombs. Berley normally works well on them. Could also bring the doggies in but if plastics are used doggies so not be much of a problem...

Have only ever caught one doggie on a softbait and that was on a gulp which I left laying on the bottom....

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 12:53am
Hey, the gurnard  tasted great  weather was good and i had a really good time ... learnt loads off tom,chris and thomas, lots of different species caught and the dolphins were a bonus as well LOL

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 1:22pm
Yeah the dolphins were great, almost finished smoking the last of mine.

I see dolphins mostof the time when I paddle off Kaikoura, they are quite a common sight it seems.

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 7:24pm
That huge pod we saw last time was a mighty sight.

-------------
Gold fish gatherer.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 11:54am
A Damn good day out at Te Oka Bay, after a 4k paddle Ollie had us fishing over his trumpeter spotx.
Ollie anchored and clipped onto his yak burley was deployed and the fishing exploded fantastic to catch so much fish alot was under size but the action never died.
A couple of big conger eels and Ollie had one at the surface that was at least 5ft long 200mm thick looked like a serpent.
I hooked onto something really big and thought i was winning the fight when oops we are getting towed, I wish that I had unclipped from Ollies yak and worn the fish out but instead I let it take about 40-50mtrs of 25lb line and ping that was it, you learn from your mistakes.

A couple of pics below they don't want upload on this site.

http://canterburykayakfishingclub.weebly.com/last-outing-april-09.html - http://canterburykayakfishingclub.weebly.com/last-outing-april-09.html

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 7:22pm
Im green dude, with wifie working Saturdays it has ruined my fishing plans. Nice fish guys. Those trupeters are sweeeeeeeeeeeet eating.,

-------------
Gold fish gatherer.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 9:15pm
Yeh it's great to hear of all this catch when we're not there, but where are the pics? we want proof bro

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 9:08am
Originally posted by onthefly onthefly wrote:

Yeh it's great to hear of all this catch when we're not there, but where are the pics? we want proof bro

http://canterburykayakfishingclub.weebly.com/last-outing-april-09.html - http://canterburykayakfishingclub.weebly.com/last-outing-april-09.html

click on the link best i can do pic won't load on here and i have re-sized to 600kb still no go.

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 9:11am
Well done lads. Well the needs of family are limiting what I can do. Shot up to a springy for a couple of hours on Saturday and got a couple of very small browns and a 4lb Rainbow- pretty suprised as I thought they only lived higher up the river system, in the mainstem- so not bad and good to find them, but with a 3+1/2 hour fishing window thats all I can manage. The Yak has'nt seen the water for ages. Oh well. Been spending loads of time at the vice tying lumos and saltwater flies though so not wasted time at home. I'm out this weekend but will aim to fish the weekend after to get some blue cod in the freezer!

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 4:46pm
I've tidied up that te oka bay article on the website. Would've joined you guys if I didn't have a cold.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Goobie Goobie wrote:

I've tidied up that te oka bay article on the website. Would've joined you guys if I didn't have a cold.

Brilliant goobie cheers for that looks fans

Whats on for the weekend anyone keen ideas?

-------------
100% Fishing!!!

Print Page | Close Window