Print Page | Close Window

Whangarei/Tutukaka

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: The Boat Shed
Forum Description: Discuss all things boating.
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=368
Printed Date: 18 Jun 2024 at 2:57am

Topic: Whangarei/Tutukaka
Posted By: Mr Bean
Subject: Whangarei/Tutukaka
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2002 at 10:15am
Goin' up North for long weekend....never fished around here....any ramps that would be recommended to use??....I understand the marina is good in Whangarei but don't know anything about the others and the tutukaka ramps. Any advice would be appreciated
Cheers

Replies:
Posted By: 1000PA
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2002 at 1:14pm

One Tree Point up by Marsden Point (but not as far) has an excellent ramp. Loads of good parking too. I've been out there. Can't comment on the dead low tide though but it's my guess it'd be OK.

Ross

-------------
Fishing-4-all-NZ

Posted By: Chicken Tonight
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2002 at 1:23pm

I used the ramp a couple of times last summer with a 14' tinny, and on dead low tide there is about 3 inchs of water to about 10 metres off the back of the ramp. The water comes in pretty fast, so about an hour either side of low is okay I think.

Hamish

Posted By: Stefan
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2002 at 9:35pm
 need to be careful with this ramp at low tide if you don't have a 4 wheel drive. Like Hamish says you need to back out quite far at low tide. Tutukaka's ramp is excellent something Takapuna council should take note of.  Stefan

Posted By: tobez
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2003 at 9:50pm

andy if you still checking..keep driving towards the heads turn right towards Upquarts Bay theres a ramp which is stoney but quite lanchable best to give it a few hours either side of high. We leave from a small beach called little manly which is before upquarts and you might drive strait past if you not weary, its has hard sand and you can launch anytime. Parking can be a bit of a squeeze but its worth the fuel you save not charging down the harbour.

-------------
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!

Posted By: A C
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2003 at 10:54pm

Andrew,

The ramp at Tut is great all tides all weather, theres parking on the hard or if its full on the green next to it. Just make sure you follow the channel markers hard to port straight from the ramp otherwise you'll be on the mud bank. 7 meter boat no problem.

Happy Hunting

-------------
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.

Posted By: Strawberry
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2003 at 7:35pm
i agree with ac there andrew great place tuts good ramp and car security not an issue just watch the mud bank straight behind the ramp watched fishing news boys try to take a short cut this year and they ended up on the mud pissed my self must dog out the photo sam and grants face is something to behold

Posted By: Mr Bean
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2003 at 10:29am
Thanks guys, went up last October and was all good!! in fact been back twice since. Very nearly ended up with egg on my face at tuts with that mud bank.

Posted By: Strawberry
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2003 at 4:30pm
you wouldnt be the first used to live up there and tried to be clever a couple times and ended up on the mud

Print Page | Close Window