Print Page | Close Window

best baked fish recipe in the world!

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: The Kitchen sponsored by Bradley Smokers
Forum Description: Share your favourite seafood recipes here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26782
Printed Date: 23 Nov 2019 at 9:57am

Topic: best baked fish recipe in the world!
Posted By: LEVCAT
Subject: best baked fish recipe in the world!
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2008 at 1:32pm
mum made up this recipe the other night with some fresh snapper... have to say it is easily the best tasting fish i've had in years..

first...
get the fillets of fish and make a parcel of tinfoil to wrap them in...
then coat the fish in coconut milk (sorry don't know exact measurements we tend to just throw everything in)...
now add some sweet chilly sauce, and squeeze half a lime over each parcel, then add a handful of fresh coriander over the fish...
sprinkle sufficient amounts of salt and pepper over the fish wrap the parcel up and bake in oven for 7-10 minutes depending on how big parcel is...

the coconut, chilly and lime mix together while cooking and infuse their flavours into the fish, the coriander is a must it really tops it off.

B....E.....A UTIFUL...

if you don't give this recipe a go in your lifetime you are missing out on something real special...

Replies:
Posted By: Rank Amateur
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2008 at 2:24pm
Sounds good Levcat... If you can try to get hold of some vietnamese mint.  Its similar to Coriander but a bit sharper and more aromatic.  I love the stuff and you can use it to replace or even compliment coriander.  A few Garden centres stock it, and its cheap although it needs to be kept war and wet as its sub tropical and dies easily over the summer if it dries out.  Still I've had one alive for more than 2 years, which is also handy unlike coriader which dies pretty quickly.

Also try it in a seafood marinara - divine!

Posted By: Tagit
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2008 at 6:16pm
Here is a similar but alternative recipe to try. It is also damn fine and comes from a chef that worked in the Onetangi hotel in the mid 1980's. Dish was called Gannet Rock Snapper if my memory is still working.
Again put the fillet in foil etc, but stuff the 'V' of the fillet with diced marinated mussels and a small amount of diced onion. Instead of coconut milk etc as a 'sauce', use about 2 tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice and honey mix. Little bit of salt and pepper to taste, coriander on the top, wrap and bake as per the earlier recipe.
For those that don't like Mussels, use half a banana.

Posted By: Peter da Squid
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2008 at 8:36pm
sounds real good you guys

-------------
Good for Nuthin

Posted By: Bender
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2008 at 11:47am
And if you want it truly spectacular, wrap the filet in banana leaves before wrapping it in silver paper.

Incredible.

If the weather plays ball I may be able to give this a go this weekend. Like the sound of hte mussels, or I might just try some fresh cockles instead as they have a more subtle flavour. Mouth's watering just thinking of it.

-------------
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Posted By: Finatic
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 9:04am
Orgasmic sounding recipes guys!

-------------
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 9:11am
hhmmmm banana that's interesting...

will have to give that a go sometime..

Posted By: The Wizard
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 8:21pm
That sounds devine and also very easy. ThanksThumbs%20Up

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 7:17pm
I'm going to give this a go tonight. I only really fry fish but do the occassional grilling thing so here goes ... I'll give you my opinion on it.

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 9:15pm
OK I tried it. Very nice indeed, but I was a little shy on the sweet chili sauce and the coriander. A good change from the fried fish. Thanks Levi.

Posted By: SNOWKIWI
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2008 at 7:56pm
Just tried your recipe Levcat, and after reading Rank Amateurs comments regarding Vietnamese mint, decided to make up parcels of snapper using fresh Coriander, some using Vietnamese mint, and some using a mixture of both. Served them up with some Uncle Bens 2 minute rice of various flavours, to SWMBO. All were beutifull, but SWMBO preferred, the Coriander, whereas I preferred the mixture of both. Either way an excellent recipe for fresh snapper.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow"> It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing, by people who can't fish.

Posted By: Finatic
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2008 at 12:15pm
Derek the Chef cooked some snapper fillets in foil the other weekend. He added a couple of slices of swiss cheese. That looked mouth watering!

-------------
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.

Posted By: Charlie F
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 11:21am
Tried the recipe last night Levcat, used bananas and no lime juice. The crew thought it was great thanks.ClapHave taken to scaling rather than skinning snapps and find for recipes such as this the fillets slide easily off the tinfoil and don't disintegrate like skinned fillets sometimes do.

-------------
So many fish, so little time,

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 4:44pm
sweet as guys.. glad u are liking it.
thanks for the constructive feedback, the recipe will be improved with bananas and vietnamese mint next time me thinks...

btw good idea charlie by just scaling the snapper..

Posted By: orange ruffie
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 8:19pm
bloody tastey levcat you will have to thank your mum for me, just had ur baked snapper for tea and it went down like a treatWink

Posted By: beerbatter
Date Posted: 01 Jan 2009 at 9:28pm
LEVCAT - mate, just had this. Probably one of the most awesome flavours I've had in a long long time. This one will be hitting the table again... and again... and again. The missus absolutely loved it which will = more fishing trips Thumbs%20Up

Thanks for sharing this one!

Posted By: Doubie
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2009 at 12:08am
Sounds too good not to try you guysThumbs%20Up. Now I just have to get out and catch enough fish to give this a lash!

Posted By: dirtyhoey
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2009 at 4:33pm
just about to try it tonight - looking forward to it with a cold beer!

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2009 at 6:25pm
Good thread lads, Thumbs Up good to see some examples of the fish in tin foil, must try a few as we mostly bake in a shallow dish in the microwave sort of minute on each side and so is very quick and easy and above all healthy, no butter or fat fry up...

But then again the tin foil lets it all fuse into the fish, etc...

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: Ritual Groove Meister
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2009 at 9:44pm
similarly, we make a sauce of coconut milk, sweet chilli sauce, lime juice and zest, and a handful of fresh cilantro (corriander)

we serve this over little prawn and grated kumura cakes

Posted By: kishidabu
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 7:03am
I tried it last night on the relatives with Kingfish and it was YUM! A stunner meal!  What oven temperature do you use???? 

Print Page | Close Window