Forum Name: Yak Yak Yak
Forum Description: The forum for Kayak enthusiasts
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2315
Printed Date: 30 Mar 2024 at 3:20am

Topic: Fishfinders for Kayaks
Posted By: Stingray
Subject: Fishfinders for Kayaks
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 7:32am

I am interested in getting a fishfinder for my Kayak.  Looking at a budget one, would not like to get very expensive one to start off with.

Any ideas/recommendations on good, cheap models?  I have been looking at the Eagle Cuda range.  Anyone with experience using these?

Cheers

Replies:
Posted By: HELLFISH
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 9:07am

Stingray,

how about a Humminbird? they are decent and get the job done. I don't know much about the Eagle/Cuda what you want to look at is pixel count/resolution especially in bright light.

Cheers

-------------
I reckon thys hir litel fishin hole jaust aint wut it yuzta bae...

Posted By: Capt Asparagus
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 3:53pm

Try one of the bottomline battery powered directional ones. They will clamp onto the side of your kayak, they are not hugely powerful, but sufficient I suspect for anywhere you will be going with a kayak. They are also totally self contained, no need for car batteries etc etc.

cheers, Stu.

-------------
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.

Posted By: jerm
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 5:05pm
Steve at Stirlings Sports Whangarei drowned a few in the process of his 'experiments' - give him a buzz to get his thoughts. The one he's using now is not cheap but being as exposed as you are, its going to get wet. His also has a GPS plotter. 

Posted By: Stingray
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2003 at 7:06am
Thanks for the advice, guys.  I have heard of Steve in Whangarei - think I will give him a call.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2003 at 11:30am
Steve will tell you to get a Lowerance...

-------------

Posted By: Moby Dick
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2003 at 11:36am

Hi - I'm looking for a fish finder for my Kayak too - Ones Ive been recommended as fit for the job are. the Eagle fisheasy 2 portable (240 x 160) or the Garmin 100 portable (160 x 100), or the Humminbird Piranha 4 (160 x 65). The better the resolution the more expensive they are. The important thing seems to be to get a portable one so there is a small power supply and also an easy to mount suction cup transducer. The Humminbird looks good as it's not too expensive and just runs of AA batteries.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2003 at 3:51pm

Go for the most you can afford with a suction cup style transducer and shoot through the hull.

It's one of those things that you get what you pay for.

-------------

Posted By: The Dog
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2003 at 4:55pm
Am contemplating the finder but problem is if it cost $5 or $5000 it would look the same to me as i wouldnt have a f*#kin clue how to read the bloody things,

-------------

Print Page | Close Window